XAT 2018 Registration, Exam Date, Pattern, Syllabus
Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur, for candidates seeking admission to MBA/PGDM courses. Nearly, 90,000 candidates appear for XAT each year and the selected students are granted admission to approximately 150 B-Schools.
- Candidates can complete XAT Registration between August 16- November 30, 2017.
- The application form for XAT 2018 is available on the official website i.e. xatonline.net.in or xatonline.in.
- The minimum Eligibility to apply for XAT is possession of a Bachelor’s Degree. There are no specific pass marks.
- XAT paper is divided into 2 parts. Part A has 78 questions & Part B has 25 questions.
- In a first, XAT 2018 will be conducted in online mode.The exam is scheduled on January 07, 2018. Practice XAT Question Papers
- XAT 2018 will be conducted in over 49 cities in India. The 2 international centers include Kathmandu and Dubai.
- XLRI will declare XAT Result 2018 on January 28. Candidates can download the scorecard from XAT Official Website.
- The minimum XAT Cut off for HRM course is expected to be 92.55%, 96% for Business Management and 22 marks & above for GMP.
- Candidates who qualify the cutoff will proceed towards the Group Discussion/ Personal Interview.
- A candidate’s performance in all selection rounds and his previous academic records, work experience, and overall profile will decide his selection.
Highlights of XAT 2018
|Exam Name||Xavier Aptitude Test|
|Exam Category||Post Graduate|
|Conducting Body||XLRI Jamshedpur|
|XAT Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Selection Process||Written Test, Group Discussion/ Personal Interview|
|Number of Test Takers||90,000 approx.|
|XAT Helpline Number (Toll-Free)||1800 419 2929|
|XAT Contact Number||+91 657 665 3203 /3204/3205|
|Email Addressemail@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org|
XAT Exam Dates 2018
The registration window for XAT 2018 will run for around 2 months. XLRI published XAT Official Notification 2018 on August 13, 2017. Candidates can go through the following table to know the complete schedule of XAT 2018:
|Release of XAT 2018 Notification||August 13, 2017|
|Release of XAT 2018 Application Form||August 16, 2017|
|XAT 2018 Registration Last Date||November 30, 2017|
|Availability of XAT 2018 Admit Card||December 20, 2017 onwards|
|XAT 2018 Exam Date||January 07, 2018 (10:00 am to 01:30 pm)|
|Release of XAT 2018 Official Answer Keys||January 19, 2018|
|Release of XAT 2018 OMR Sheet & Score Card||January 22, 2018|
|Announcement of XAT 2018 Result||January 28, 2018|
Check all XAT Exam Dates 2018
XAT Eligibility Criteria 2018
Candidates applying for XAT 2018 should carefully go through the eligibility criteria before filling the application form. The eligibility criteria for XAT requires candidates to meet the below-mentioned criteria:
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration or equivalent from a recognized authority in any discipline.
- Those appearing in the final year examination of their graduation degree in June 2018 are also eligible to apply for the examination.
- Candidates who did graduation in 1980’s with a 2-year bachelor's degree are not eligible.
- There are no minimum aggregate marks criteria for appearing in XAT 2018.
- NRI and Foreign Candidates are also eligible to apply on the basis of the GMAT Scorecard (except Dubai and Kathmandu candidates).
- There is no age limit.
Read details about XAT Eligibility
XAT 2018 Registration
- The application form of XAT 2018 has been released by XLRI Jamshedpur on August 16, 2017.
- The last date for XAT Registration is November 30, 2017.
- The Application Form for XAT 2018 is available on the official website i.e. xatonline.in.
- XAT 2018 Registration primarily involves five steps - Registration, Application Form Filling, Uploading Documents, Payment of Fee, and Submitting Form. They are described below:
Step 1- Registration- Visit the official website and register using your personal details (Name, Contact Details and Email ID). You will receive a unique ID and Password to complete further process.
Step 2- Fill Application Form- Fill-in your personal and academic details, work experience, preferred course, and exam center.
Step 3- Fee Payment- Pay the requisite application fee in either online or offline mode. The Application Fee for XAT is INR 1650 (INR 2000 if you pay late fee) for all categories. The Bank Transaction charges for Online Payment of application fees/intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate.
Step 4- Upload Documents- Upload scanned images of your recent photograph and signature.
Step 5- Confirmation Page- Post previewing all the filled data, you will receive a confirmation page.
Note- All candidates who pay XAT Application Feethrough Demand Draft must send a copy of confirmation page besides the Demand Draft within 15 days from the date of issuance of demand draft. The contact details are provided below:
Jharkhand, India XLRI, C. H. Area (East)
The Chairperson Admissions,
Jamshedpur – 831001
For a clearer understanding on XAT Registration, you may refer to our PPT below:
XAT 2018 Admit Card
- XAT Admit card will be available from December 20, 2017, onwards.
- It will be available to only those candidates whose applications get accepted.
- Admit Card for XAT can be retrieved through online mode only. You can download it from xatonline.net.in.
- XLRI will not send XAT Admit Card via email or courier to any candidates.
- XAT Admit Card is a mandatory document that must be preserved till the admission process. It must all time be supported with a valid photo id issued by the government of India.
How to download XAT Admit Card?
- Visit the official website of XAT.
- Click on “Download XAT 2018 Admit Card” link
- Enter your XAT Registration ID and XAT password or your Date of Birth in DD/MM/YY format.
- Download your admit card which will be available in PDF format
- Obtain multiple hard copies for further use.
Discrepancy in XAT Admit Card
Candidates must carefully go through the details on XAT Admit Card before downloading and taking print out of the same. In the case of any error or discrepancy in the information, candidates should immediately contact XAT office address mentioned below:
Admission Office, XLRI,
Circuit House Area (East),
XAT 2018 Exam Centers
Last year, XAT was conducted in 47 cities across India and in two international cities in Dubai and Kathmandu. This year too, it is expected to be conducted in around 49 cities. XLRI Jamshedpur, the conducting body, will aim to increase the number of XAT Exam Centers to make it more convenient and accessible for XAT 2018 applicants.
Here is a list of exam cities for XAT 2018:
|XAT Exam Centers 2018|
XAT 2018 Exam Pattern
- XAT 2018 is scheduled for January 07, 2018.
- From this year onwards, XAT will be conducted in online mode.
- The paper of XAT is divided into 2 Parts (A & B).
- In total, there are 78 questions in Part A and 25 questions in Part B.
The following table gives the highlights of XAT Exam Pattern:
|Part||Section Name||No. of Questions||Total Time||Negative Marking|
|Part A||Verbal and Logical Ability||26||170 minutes||-0.25 for each incorrect answer|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||29|
|Part B||General Knowledge||25||40 minutes||No negative marking|
Get more information on XAT Exam Pattern
XAT 2017 Paper Analysis
XAT 2017 took place in a single slot on January 08, 2017. The Paper was divided into two parts (as mentioned above). While the overall difficulty level of the exam was moderate, questions in quantitative ability were comparably hard and the verbal ability section was slightly easier than the previous years’.
The Paper 1 constituted Objective Type Questions from Verbal Ability, Logical Reasoning Quantitative Ability. The analysis of the paper is given below.
|Verbal & Logical Ability||24||Low to Moderate|
|Decision Making & Analytical Reasoning||21||Moderate to High|
|Data Interpretation & Quantitative Ability||27||High|
The Paper 2 of XAT 2017 constituted General Knowledge and Essay. The Structure of Paper 2 was:
|Essay||Globalisation & Jingoism always co-exist|
CheckXAT Paper Analysis
XAT 2018 Syllabus
- XAT Syllabus contains questions from Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making, General Knowledge and a question on Essay Writing.
- The exam has 2 papers and the syllabus for XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test) is different for both the papers.
- Although there is no official XAT Syllabus that is declared by XLRI, it is generally based on past years’ pattern.
XAT Syllabus 2018 for Paper 1
XAT Paper 1 consists of objective type questions based on Decision Making, Verbal and Logical Ability and Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation. Paper 1 of XAT is allotted 3 hours to attempt all 78 questions.
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||Geometry, Tables, Graphs, Arithmetic, Trignometry, Statistics, Profit & Loss, Speed and Distance, Clocks|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||Grammar, Para Jumbles, Para Completion, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehensions|
|Decision Making||Analytical Reasoning, Situational, Case lets, Data Arrangement Tets|
XAT Syllabus 2018 for Paper 2
XAT Paper 2 contains questions from General Knowledge and an essay. It is a subjective paper. There will be a total of 30 questions with half an hour of time allotted to this paper. There is no negative marking in thissection.
|Important topics for GK in XAT|
|Politics||Nation and States|
|Sports||Awards and Recognitions|
|Merger & Acquisitions||--|
XAT 2018 Preparation Books
|Target XAT Simplified by Disha Experts||Data Interpretation by Arun Sharma|
|Jabbing XAT with solved papers by R.K. Jha||General Knowledge by Manohar Panday|
|XAT XLRI – MBA Entrance Exam A/4 by Chandresh Agarwal||Verbal ability and reading comprehension by Arun Sharma|
|Concepts of number for XAT and other quantitative exams by Gajendra Kumar||Verbal ability for XAT by Ajay Singh|
|Target new XAT – Past papers and five mock papers||Quantitative Aptitude Quantum XAT by Sarvesh K Verma|
|XAT entrance test for MBA examination by Gautam Puri||Quantitative aptitude for XAT by Arun Sharma|
|XAT Xavier Aptitude Test solved sample papers by Gautam Puri||The hand on guide to analytical reasoning and logical reasoning by Peeyush Bhardwaj|
XAT 2018 Results
- The result for XAT 2018 will be declared on January 2018 by XLRI Jamshedpur.
- Candidates can visit the official website of XAT i.e. xatonline.net.in to download their scorecards.
- They must enter their Registration Number, Date of Birth and Security Text in the login window to access XAT Result.
- XAT Score Card will contain the rank and marks obtained by candidates.
- XAT Scores will be valid for one year only.
- All candidates who clear XAT 2018 and meet the cutoff will proceed towards subsequent selection rounds- GD/PI.
XAT 2018 Cutoff
- XAT Cut off varies for different programs offered by different institutes.
- The cutoff for XAT would include the minimum percentile to be scored by each candidate in the exam.
- On the basis of XAT cut off, candidates will be shortlisted for further GD, PI and Essay writing round.
The below tables describes the percentage required for different programs of XLRI:
|Program Offered||Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning||Decision Making||Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||Overall (Percentage/ Marks)|
|Human Resource Management||79.67%||71.628%||70.07%||92.55%|
|Global Management Programme||5 marks and above||5 marks and above||6 marks above||22 marks and above|
Read more about XAT Cut off
XAT 2018 Colleges
- This year, XAT Score will be accepted by over 150 B-Schools across India.
- Last year, there were 156 XAT Participating Institutes in total. The number is expected to rise this year.
- The participating Institutes of XAT can be classified into two types, Xavier Associate Management Institutes (XAMI) and non-XAMI.
- Last year, the number of XAMI was 11 and the non-XAMI was 145.
The management examination is conducted by XLRI on behalf of XAMI or Xavier Association of Management Institutes. Listed below are the names of all the official XAMI Members:
|Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA)||Xavier Institute of Social Service|
|Mount Carmel Institute of Management||Xavier Labour and Relations Institute|
|St. Francis Institute of Management and Research (SFIMR)||Xavier Institute of Management, Jabalpur|
|St. Joseph's College of Business Administration||Xavier Institute of Management and Research|
|St. Aloysius Institute of Management and Information Technology||Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship|
|Xavier Institute of Mangement||-|
XAT 2018 Selection Procedure
Candidates are shortlisted for GD/PI on the basis of their performance in the entrance exam and XAT cut off. While some colleges have both GD (group discussion) and PI (Personal Interview) rounds, others only have either of the two:
- The groups are divided into groups of 8-15 participating candidates.
- All the groups are required to discuss on a topic usually for 15-20. Minutes.
- The topics for XLRI GD would consist of topics related to current affairs, politics, social issues such as women’s rights and emancipation, or any other issue concerning advertising, technology, education or business in India.
- Candidates are required to appear for the personal interview if they get shortlisted on the basis of their performance in Group Discussion.
- The questions in the Personal Interview round are centered aroundcandidates’ background, academics, achievements and motivation behind going for an MBA.
- The panel of jury members set up for this round aim to determine the communication skills, confidence and ability to think under pressure among candidates.
Read more about XAT Selection Procedure
Preparation of XAT 2018 Merit list
The score for the final selection of candidates would be calculated by assigning weight to different components such as XAT 2018 score, GD, PI, Essay Writing, Previous academic records, work experience, and overall profile of candidate. The weight of these different components in XLRI is provided in the table below. It applies to all the programs offered by XLRI.
|Essay, GK, Academic profile, work-ex, video||15%|
What is XAT Exam?
Xavier Aptitude Test is a national level management entrance exam. Through this exam, a candidate’s aptitude in management field is tested.
- XAT exam is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur on behalf of the XAMI.
- From 2018, the exam will be conducted in Online Mode.
- The exam will have objective and subjective type of questions
- XAT Scores are used by more than 150 B-schools across India.
- The difficulty level of exam is Moderate
Who can take XAT Exam?
- Candidates having a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized University or Institute
- Candidates in the final year of their graduation can also apply for XAT.
- Also, there is no defined cut off for applying to management exam, but it is important to score passing percentage in graduation.
XAT 2018 FAQs
Ques. I have done 5 years integrated course, so how will I enter my percentage?
Ans. Candidates who have done 5 years integrated course can fill up the same percentage as Graduation and PG.
Ques. How do I calculate the aggregate marks for CBSE /SSC? Is it the best 5 or all the subjects?
Ans. The candidate should take the aggregate of all the subjects for 10th.
Ques. Does internship/Articleship count as work experience?
Ans. No, these are not counted as work experience
Ques. I have less than 50% in graduation, am I eligible to apply for XLRI?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible to apply for XLRI.
Ques. How is past academic performance considered in the selection process?
Ans. XLRI does not have any cut off based on any of the following X, XII, graduation marks. The evaluation of candidates' academic competence will be evaluated holistically by XLRI based on candidates' performance in the interview, group discussion, and XAT written test.
Ques. How can I download REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION PAGE?
Ans. You can log in to xatonline.net.in to download the confirmation page.
Ques. Can I edit the information given by me?
Ans. You are allowed to edit your information only once till November 20, 2017. Once edited you will not be allowed to make any further edits.
Ques. I have paid twice using online payment option. What should I do?
Ans. Kindly send an email to email@example.com with your XAT ID, date of payment, card holders name and the credit/debit card details (first four & last four digits and card expiry date).
Ques. What do I do if I am unable to make the payment online?
Ans. Online payments involve multiple agencies and there are chances that your payment is timed out or declined. If you encounter any such problems, we suggest you make the payment by Cash Mode through any branch of IDBI Bank.