TOEFL 2018 Registration, Exam Dates, Preparation, Scores
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an international standardised test conducted to assess the level of English fleuncyof non-native speakers. It is designed and administered by Education Training Service, Princeton. The test is conducted in both online and offline mode more than 50 times in a year, depending on the country and region.
The next session of TOEFL 2018 is scheduled for April 07. The score of TOEFL (valid for 2 years) is accepted by more than 10,000 institutions and universities across 130 countries.
- Your target date for taking the TOEFL exam should be at least a month before your first application deadline. This will give you plenty of time to work on your applications, and in case you need to retake the exam you can do so after 12 days of the first attempt.
- The application fee for TOEFL is 180 USD in India.
- The duration of the exam is 4 hours. It is divided into4 sections viz. Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing.
Highlights about TOEFL 2018
|Exam Name||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Level of the exam||International|
|Conducting Body||Educational Testing Service (ETS)|
|Mode of exam||Internet based and Paper based|
|Score Range||0 to 30 for each section|
|TOEFL Test Centers||4500 across the world|
|TOEFL Helpline India||91-124-4147700|
Trending Questions on TOEFL
Is TOEFL online or offline?
- TOEFL exam is available in two formats- one that is delivered via the internet (iBT), and one that is a paper test.
- Maximum test-takers (about 98%) take TOEFL iBT. This is a more desireable format by the universities since it assess 4 major communication skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- Candidates who do not have access to internet services can take the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test. There is no Speaking section because it is a paper test.
Who Takes the TOEFL Test?
More than 30 million people from all over the world have taken the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency.
Why choose TOEFL over other exams?
The offers a number of benefits. Some being:
- It's the most highly respected around the world
- It's the most widely accepted
- It's the most accurately measured
- It's the most fair and unbiased
- It's the most convenient
Who Accepts TOEFL Scores?
More than 10,000 universities and colleges in over 130 countries accept TOEFL test scores. In addition, agencies and institutions rely on TOEFL scores as well:
- Immigration departments use them to issue residential and work visas.
- Medical and licensing agencies use them for professional certification purposes.
- Individuals use them to measure their progress in learning English.
What Resources Are Available for TOEFL Preparation?
- ETS offers a variety of free preparation materials and sample questions to help you get ready for the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test.
- You can also use free or paid materials designed for the TOEFL iBT test. Just remember that the TOEFL iBT test has a Speaking section, and the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test does not.
Are there any Scholarships for TOEFL?
- ETS offers 'TOEFL Scholarships and Giving program' helping students fund their education all over the globe.
- In India, this program is applicable to of undergraduate or graduate at the 9,000+ institutions around the world that accept the TOEFL test.
- Maximum scholarship amount per students is INR 4,56,890 or $7,000.
- This scholarship can be availed once only.
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria 2018
- There is no set TOEFL eligibility criteria set by ETS conducting authority. TOEFL is open to all the candidates.
- Any student who is planning to pursue higher education in another country where the native language is English can apply.
- A candidate who has passed his or her HSC examination or equivalent from a recognized board.
- Candidates must possess a valid passport to present as a proof of Identity.
- There is no age limit to appear for the test.
- Candidates younger than 15 years of age have to be accompained by their parents to fulfill the formalities at the test center.
How to Apply for TOEFL?
TOEFL Registration can be done in three ways – via mail, via phone, or online. The application is open all throughout the year.
TOEFL Online Application
- Visit the official website i.e. ets.org/toefl
- Click on “Register Now”
- Choose the option to “Sign Up”
- Fill in the information asked like Name, Gender, Address, Phone Number, Email ID, etc.
- The information provided should be the same as mentioned on the passport
- Review the information and click on Confirm.
- After logging in, click on Register for a test.
- Fill the information asked.
- Click on confirm and pay the application fee.
Check TOEFL Registration Guide
TOEFL Registration by Phone
- Visit www.ets.org/toefl/contact to find the contact number for Regional Registration Centre (RRC).
- Payment of registration fee can be done using a credit card, a debit card or an e-check.
- Registration will end a week before the test date.
- The process of late registration via phone will end at 5 p.m. local test center time on the business day before the test. A late fee of US $40 will be applicable.
TOEFL Registration by Mail
- The candidate will be required to download and fill out TOEFL registration form.
- There are certain codes that the candidate will have to fill in the form manually and they can be found on the official website.
- The choice of payment option can be made from among the ones mentioned in the form.
- Candidates have to mail the filled form and payment to the RRC and it must reach them at least four weeks before the test date.
- In case, a candidate does not receive a confirmation, he/she must call the RRC at least three business days before the deadline for registration.
TOEFL Exam Fee
- In India, TOEFL Registration cum test fee is180 USD.
- In case a candidate opts for late registration, he would be required to pay an additional amount of US $40, as late fee.
- The candidates can remit the fee through Debit/Credit Card, Electronic Check (for the US and its territories), PayPal account, Paper Checks (Personal paper checks, Euro Checks and Checks in Canadian Dollars) and Western-Union Quick Pay.
Read about TOEFL Registration 2018
TOEFL Test Centers 2018
There are over 60 cities in India where TOEFL test is conducted.The complete list of Indian test cities for TOEFL is provided below.
|TOEFL Test Centers||TOEFL Test Centers||TOEFL Test Centers||TOEFL Test Centers|
|CHENNAI -||Jalandhar||Navi Mumbai||Udaipur|
|Chandigarh UT||Kolhapur||Nizamabad||Vallabh Vidyanagar|
TOEFL 2018 Exam Pattern
- TOEFL is conducted as an Internet based test as well as a Paper based test.
- The test has four main sections – Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
- The break-up of different test sections is shown below.
TOEFL Internet Based Test Pattern
|Section||Description||Duration (in minutes)|
|Reading||3–5 passages, each containing 12–14 questions||60–80 minutes|
|Listening||6–9 passages, each containing 5–6 questions||60–90 minutes|
|Break||Mandatory break||10 minutes|
|Speaking||6 tasks||20 minutes|
|Writing||2 tasks||50 minutes|
- Reading section will consist of about four passage and questions on academic topics.
- The Listening section will comprise of short audio pieces that will be played and the candidate will have to answer the presented questions after listening to them.
- The Writing section will test the based on the listening or reading topics in the form of essays.
There will be no negative marking in the TOEFL exam as per the TOEFL Exam Pattern.
TOEFL Paper Based Test Pattern
TOEFL Paper based test is conducted in the regions without internet connectivity. The pattern followed in the written exam is as follows:
- Listening – 30 – 40 minutes
- The Listening section consists of 3 parts.
- The first one contains 30 questions about short conversations.
- The second part has 8 questions about longer conversations.
- The last part asks 12 questions about lectures or talks.
- Structure and Written Expression – 25 minutes
- The Structure and Written Expression section has 15 exercises on sentence completion and 25 on identifying errors.
- Reading Comprehension – 55 minutes
- The Reading Comprehension sections has 50 questions on a varying number of passages.
- Writing – 30 minutes
- The Test of Written English (TWE) is one essay question of 250–300 words.
TOEFL Result 2018
- The scores of the exam are declared online in 10 days after he exam date.
- To download your score report, log-in using your ETD ID number and click “View Scores”.
- A score report posting schedule (PDF) for each test date is available on the TOEFL iBT website, and you will receive an email letting you know when your scores have been posted.
- You can also download and print a PDF copy of your test taker score report. The PDF will be available within 3 days of the date your scores are posted online.
- Your scores are also sent to the institutions or agencies you selected (and to you, if you requested a paper copy before you took the test).
TOEFL Scoring System
- The marking for Reading and Listening section is done by a computer and the range of marks allotted is from 0 to 30.
- The Speaking section has a total of six tasks and each one of these is rated from 0 to 4.
- The sum of all tasks combined is scaled in the range of 0 to 30.
- The Writing section has two tasks that are rated from 0 to 5 and as in the previous sections
- The sum of the score is scaled such that it falls in the range of 0 to 30.
The break-up of TOEFLScores for all sections is as shown below:
|Section||Score||Level of Expertise|
|Reading||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low level|
|Listening||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low level|
|Speaking||0-30||A score of 26 to 30: Good level A score of 18 to 25: Fair level A score of 10to 17: Limited level A score of 0 to 9: Weak level|
|Writing||0-30||A score of 24 to 30: Good level A score of 17 to 23: Fair level A score of 1 to 16: Limited level|
TOEFL overall score and the level of expertise it represents:
|TOEFL Score||Level of Expertise|
|115-117||Very Good User|
|0-31||Extremely Limited/Intermittent/Non User|
A candidate is marked out of a potential score of 120 and depending on how much he scores in each section, his level of expertise can be determined for different skills.
Ques. What is TOEFL test?
Ans. TOEFL is a test which measures the ability of non-native English speakers to use and understand English language as it is heard, spoken, read and written in university classroom.
Ques. What is the difference between TOEFL iBT and TOEFL Paper based test?
Ans. TOEFL iBT is the online test consisting four sections- Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking. TOEFL Paper based test is conducted in pen and paper mode in regions where internet connectivity is not available. The test will have three sections: Reading, Listening and Writing.
Ques. How many times is the test conducted in a year?
Ans. TOEFL is conducted around 50 times on different dates each year.
Ques. Can I retake the test?
Ans. Yes, candidates can retake the test as many times as they want. They must maintain a minimum gap of 12 days between two test sessions. In case, the candidate has an appointment for a test he/ she cannot register for another test date within 12 days of current appointment.
Ques. Can TOEFL test be rescheduled or cancelled?
Ans. Yes, candidates can reschedule the test. They must apply for the same at least 4 days before the test date. Any requests received after that will not be entertained.
Ques. How to opt for paper copy of score card?
Ans. Candidates can opt for paper copy of score card while registration. In case, they do not opt for it during registration, they can make changes until 3:00 PM on the day before the test. Candidates can follow the steps given below:
- Visit your TOEFL account.
- Go to Select Scorecard Preference tab.
- Check the box for paper copy of score card.
- Save the changes.
Ques. When can the registration for the test be done?
Ans. As the seats for TOEFL exam can fill up quickly, candidates must register three to four months before the desired test date.
Ques. What if the details entered during registration are incorrect?
Ans. Once the candidates enter personal details, they can’t make changes in it. In case of any changes, they must contact TOEFL services: Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 16097717100/ 18778633546
Ques. Is it possible to change the mailing address which is entered during registration?
Ans. Yes, candidates can change their mailing details after registration, through the procedure stated below:
- Log in to TOEFL account.
- Visit your home page.
- Click on Update Contact Information link.
- Select Modify tab to change Email ID.
- Click on Save tab.
Ques. Which sections will be included in the test?
Ans. The TOEFL iBT test will consist of following sections:
Ques. How will the speaking section test be conducted?
Ans. For speaking test, candidates will be given noise cancellation headphones with microphone.
Ques. What are TOEFL scores like?
Ans. Each section will be marked on a scale of 0 to 30 in following pattern:
- Reading 0-30
- Listening 0-30
- Speaking 0-30
- Writing 0-30
- Total 0-120
Ques. How will I get my scores?
Ans. To know the scores, candidates can log in their TOEFL account, enter the ETS ID received during registration and click on View Scores tab.
Ques. How will I know that the scores have been posted?
Ans. A score report posting schedule for each test date will be available on TOEFL website.
- Candidates will also receive email regarding the posting of scores.
- Candidates can download and print the copy of their test scores.
- PDF of score will be available after 3 days of posting of the scores on TOEFL account.
Ques. When will I get my scores?
Ans. Scores will be available within ten days of successful completion of the test.
Ques. What all information will be available on the score card?
Ans. Following information will be present of the scorecard:
- Scores of each section
- Total scores
- Performance Feedback
Ques. Can TOEFL scores be cancelled?
Ans. Candidates can cancel the scores at the end of the test. They cannot cancel the scores for individual test sections.
Ques. Can the cancelled scores be reinstated?
Ans. Yes, candidates can reinstate their TOEFL scores if their request is received within 60 days of the test for a fee of USD 20 using Reinstatement Request Form. Reinstated scores will be reported online within three weeks of receiving request and payment. Scores will be posted online and then sent to score recipients.
Ques. How can I register to reserve the seat?
Ans. Candidates can register through following methods:
- In person
It is recommended to register online as it is the fastest and easiest mode. Candidates can choose the test center and dates availability.
Ques. Can the test be rescheduled?
Ans. Yes, candidates can cancel or reschedule the registration up to four days before the test date. In case the rescheduling request is not received at least 4 days in advance, the fee will not be refunded.
Ques. Is there any fee for rescheduling the test?
Ans. The rescheduling fee is USD 60 and must be paid before the registration for another date.
Ques. How can the TOEFL test be rescheduled?
Ans. To reschedule the test, candidates can change the test date online through their account. Rescheduling request can also be processed by contacting Regional Registration Center via call. No requests will be entertained via email.
Ques. Can the test fee be refunded?
Ans. If the candidate cancels the registration 4 days before the test date, he/ she will receive half of the original test fee paid.
Ques. Is it possible to take test of any specific section/ sections?
Ans. No, candidates must attempt all the sections in a single day on the date of examination.
Ques. What is the minimum number of questions/ tasks I need to attempt for successful completion of the test?
Ans. To receive the scores, candidates must attempt at least 1 question from Reading and Listening sections. They must write at least 1 essay in writing section and complete at least 1 task in Speaking section.
Ques. How long are TOEFL scores valid?
Ans. Once the candidate appears for the test, scores are valid for 2 years from the date of result declaration.
Ques. Is there any age requirement to appear for the test?
Ans. No, there is no age limit to appear for the test.
Ques. What all things are need to be carried at the time of the test?
Ans. Candidates will only be allowed to carry their Registration proof and a valid Photo ID proof during the test.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College