TNEA (Tamil Nadu Entrance Admissions) is conducted every year for candidates seeking admission to engineering courses across the state of Tamil Nadu. TNEA 2018 Selection and Counseling is based on a schedule laid down by the Tamil Nadu State University. This article will lead you through everything that you need to know about the Selection and Counseling process.
TNEA 2018 Counselling Process will be based on the marks scored by students in the qualifying examination. Only those candidates who have scored qualifying marks will be called for counselling process. The candidates have to attend the counselling process in person. They also have to submit certain documents at the time of admission.
TNEA 2018 Seat Intake
The Seat Allocation is based on the conditions accepted and laid down by the government of the state. The percentage reservation of seats for different categories is given below:
|Other Backward Classes||3.5%|
|Most Backward Classes and De-notified communities||20%|
|Scheduled Caste (Arunthathiyars)||03%|
TNEA 2018 Selection Criteria of General Candidates
The selection of candidates will be based on the marks obtained in the prescribed subjects reduced to 200 (Mathematics – 100, Physics + Chemistry – 100) in the qualifying TNEA Examination.
Normalization of Marks
Normalization of marks means that the marks obtained by the students in the relevant subjects in the qualifying examination conducted by various Boards or Authority are equated with the marks obtained by the students in the same subjects in the qualifying examination conducted by the State Board of Tamil Nadu by adopting the method of normalization.
- For Example, if the highest mark secured by the student of State Board of Tamil Nadu in Physics is 100 and the highest mark secured by a student of any other Board in the same subject is 90 both the highest marks will be considered to be equal to 100.
- A merit list is prepared based on the total mark of 200. In cases where more than one candidate have got the same marks in the common merit list, the inter-se-merit among such candidates shall be determined in the order of priority as specified below.
- Percentage of marks in Mathematics, Percentage of marks in Physics, Percentage of marks in the Fourth optional subject, Date of Birth (elder will be given preference) & Random number assigned (higher value will be given preference).
- The overall rank and Community wise rank obtained by the candidates will be published officially on the Anna University website http://www.annauniv.edu/.
TNEA 2018 Counselling Process
The process of Counseling is laid down accordingly to ensure proper functioning of the admission and seat allocation process. The TNEA 2018 Counselling process is explained below in the following points:
- Candidates will be called for counseling in the order of their merit.
- Candidates have to opt for colleges and branches amongst the available ones at the time of counseling.
- Candidates have to pay an initial fee for 5000/- (1000/- for SC/SCA/ST candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu) by Cash or DD and produce all their original certificates when they attend counseling.
- Eligible candidates who have applied may appear for counseling according to their cut-off marks but they have to appear two hours before the counseling session along with their original certificates for verification, irrespective of receipt of individual communication.
- If a candidate could not attend the counseling on the specified date and time, they can attend on a subsequent time, during the counseling period.
- If a candidate does not wish to join after allotment and seeks refund, only 80 % of the initial deposit amount paid at the time of counseling will be refunded.
READ MORE ABOUT TNEA Reservation
General Guidelines regarding TNEA 2018 Counseling Process
The General Guidelines of Counseling for TNEA are laid down by the University and have to be followed in all circumstances to ensure your seat in the process.
- The candidates have to reach the colleges allotted to them within the time notified. Otherwise the seats will be deemed to have fallen vacant.
- Selected candidates and their parents/ guardians will have to sign a joint declaration form for the University and submit it to the college at the time of admission.
- The admission through counseling is only provisional. If they are found ineligible on actual verification of original certificates / particulars by the Principal / Directorate of Technical Education / University, they will be denied admission.
- Further, the confirmation of Admission is subject to the verification of marks / certificates by the Directorate of Government Examinations. If the Mark Sheet is found to be BOGUS,
(i) Admission is liable for cancellation at any stage of study.
(ii) He / she will be debarred from pursuing any course of study for a period of 3 Years.
(iii) Legal action will be taken against him/her for furnishing forged marks.
TNEA 2018 Admission Process
After the process of counselling is over, the candidates have to go through the TNEA 2018 Admission Process. They have to carry all the relevant documents at the time of admission process and in case a candidate fails to carry them, then his or her candidature will be cancelled.
Admission Of Vocational Stream Candidates
100 seats in Category I and 4 % of seats surrendered in Category II have been set apart for the HSC (vocational stream) candidates.
- The minimum marks required in the relevant subjects will be reduced to 200 (Related subject 100 marks, vocational subject including theory and practical 100 marks).
- Amongst the 3 % of Vocational seats in Category I and II, the reservation for Differently Abled Persons candidates is 1 % for Orthopedically Differently Abled Persons, 1 % for Hearing Impaired and 1 % for Visually Impaired.
KNOW MORE ABOUT TNEA Application Process
Admission To Sandwich Courses
Sandwich courses are separate form of courses introduced by the university.
- The courses available are in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Production Engineering are offered at PSG College of Technology under self-financing scheme.
- The duration of the course is 5 Years.
- Practical training takes place in the mornings and class work in the evenings.
- An additional fee for practical training has to be paid at the time of admission.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College