TISSNET 2018 Application Form, Exam Date, Syllabus
TISSNET is a national-level entrance exam, conducted by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS). It is held for candidates who aspire to pursue a Post-Graduate Degree Programme (M.A., M. Sc., M.H.A., M.P.H) in any one of the TISS campuses viz. Mumbai, Hyderabad, Tuljapur, and Guwahati.
For all those applying for TISS NET 2018, here are some of the key points to know:
- TISSNET 2018 Application Form is available online on October 24, 2017 till November 25, 2017.
- Registration for TISS Exam can be done online (tiss.edu.) or offline (sending a letter to TISS Mumbai for the form).
- As per TISSNET Eligibility, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree to apply.
- Candidates who register successfully will appear for the exam on January 6, 2018. It is held in online mode. Check TISSNET Exam Pattern
- TISSNET consists of objective questions related to General Awareness, Mathematical and Logical Reasoning and English. Check TISSNET Syllabus
- TISSNET 2018 Result will be declared on January 27, 2018. Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of TISS NET scores, Pre-Written Test or/and Personal Interviews.
- The Cut off for TISSNET 2018 is expected to be similar to the previous year. It will be around 82 for general category and 72 for reserved category. Check TISSNET Cut off
Nearly 40,000 candidates appear for Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET) each year. Out of these, about 17,000 candidates apply for MA in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations (HRM & LR). It is one of the most sought-after courses offered by TISS.
Highlights of TISSNET 2018
|Exam Name||Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test|
|TISSNET 2018 Exam Date||January 6, 2018|
|Conducting Body||Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)|
|Exam Category||Post Graduate|
|Minimum Qualification||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Programs Offered||M.A. / M.Sc. / M.P.H./ M.H.A.|
|Selection Rounds||TISS NET, Pre-Interview Test and Personal Interview|
|Candidates Expected to Appear in TISSNET 2018||Approx. 40,000|
|TISSNET Helpline Number||022- 25525252|
TISSNET Exam Dates 2018
TISS, the conducting body of National Entrance Test, will release the official schedule shortly. Interested candidates can go through the following table to know about the tentative schedule for TISS Exam.
|Availability of TISSNET Application Form 2018||October 24, 2017||Last date of application is November 25, 2017|
|TISSNET 2018 Admit Card Date||December 18-19, 2017||Download TISSNET 2018 Admit Card from tiss.edu|
|TISSNET 2018 Exam Date||January 6, 2018 (2:00 to 3:40 pm)||Exam will be conducted at 39 centers across the country|
|TISSNET 2018 Result Date||January 27, 2018 (8:00 pm)||Check TISSNET Result 2018 by using email id and password|
|Pre-Interview Test and Personal Interview||March 3 to 29, 2018||Weightage for NET, PIT and PI is 40%, 30% and 30% respectively|
|Announcement of final result||April 27, 2018||Click Here to check the past year’s cut-offs.|
TISSNET Eligibility Criteria 2018
TISS has laid out certain eligibility criteria for candidates to satisfy before applying. It is important to go through these conditions before filling in the application form. TISSNET Eligibility requires candidates to meet the below-mentioned criteria:
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration or equivalent from a recognized authority in any discipline.
- Those appearing in the final year of graduation degree in June 2018 are also eligible to apply for TISSNET.
- Candidates studying in the final year of their graduation but have not passed in all the subjects of their previous years are not eligible to apply for any of the masters’ courses offered by TISS.
- If some candidate is declared as failed in their bachelor’s degree, then he is not eligible to take the entrance exam.
- There is no age-limit criteria. A candidate of any age may apply.
TISSNET Eligibility for Foreign Nationals
- An international applicant (PIO/ OCI/ NRI) is allowed to apply for maximum 3 courses across campuses only.
- The basic eligibility conditions for international candidates are same as for Indian candidates, except for 2 requirements:
- Students interested in applying for M.A. in Human Resource Management and Labour Studies Programme will additionally require a GMAT score of 610 and above.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency is essential only for an applicant who has studied in a University located in a non-English speaking country or whose mode of Instruction during previous Degree/ diploma was not English.
- Such a candidate has to provide any one of the following scores. The score should not be older than two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Academic version-minimum score of 6.5 is required.
- Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL - iBT): a score of above 90/ or intermediate level performance.
TISSNET Reservation Policy
All the four campuses of TISS (Mumbai, Tuljapur, Guwahati, Hyderabad) have seats vacant for candidates from reserved categories. The final admission is granted on the basis of the below-given seat reservation policy only. Have a look at TISSNET Reservation Criteria given below:
|TISS Mumbai||TISS Tuljapur||TISS Hyderabad||TISS Guwahati|
|Children of the Armed Forces Employees||5%||5%||5%||5%|
|North Eastern States||-||-||-||66%*|
*The remaining 34% of the seats are for candidates from other parts of the country.
TISSNET Application Form 2018
TISSNET Registration can be done via online or offline mode. The application form is available online till November 25, 2017. Candidates can apply for a maximum of 3 programs at 2 different campuses of TISS.
TISSNET Online Application
- To access the form, candidates have to visit the official website of TISSNET i.e. admissions.tiss.edu.
- The registration will be done through E-application Process.
- First, register with a valid email id. You will be sent a password on that id to log-in with.
- After TISSNET Application Form opens up, enter all your academic, personal and preferred course details.
- Pay the requisite application fee (depending on number of programmes applied) either by online or offline mode.
- Scan and upload your photograph, signature, marksheet of the last exam passed and other necessary certificates.
TISSNET Offline Application
- There is a provision to apply offline for candidates from remote regions and have limited access to internet such as Nort-East, Jammu & Kashmir and Jharkhand.
- The application form can be obtained by sending a request to Mumbai campus for a printed TISSNET Application Form.
- The filled application form has to be submitted to Assistant Registrar (Academic), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Deonar Mumbai, 400088.
- A candidate can apply for multiple programs and pay for those programs in one online form and should not fill more than one form.
TISSNET Application Fee
- It is mandatory for all the candidates to pay the requisite Application Fee in order to complete TISSNET Registration.
- The Application Fee for TISSNET will vary for candidates applying under different categories.
- TISSNET Application Fee can be paid through online mode (Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking) or by Cash deposit at any of the designated branches of SBI using the prescribed challan.
Online Payment via Credit/ Debit Cards/ Net Banking
|TISSNET Application Fee||Categories|
|1 program||INR 1030||INR 260|
|2 program||INR 2060||INR 520|
|3 program||INR 3090||INR 780|
Payment via cash deposit at designated branches of SBI using prescribed challan
|TISSNET Application Fee||Categories|
|Applying for 1 program||INR 1000 + Bank charges||INR 250 +bank charges|
|Applying for 2 programs||INR 2000 + Bank charges||INR 500 + bank charges|
|Applying for 3 programs||INR 3000 + Bank charges||INR 750 + bank charges|
TISSNET Admit Card 2018
TISS will issue the admit card for TISSNET 2018 from December 18-19, 2017 onwards. It can be downloaded from the official website of TISS i.e. tiss.edu. Candidates will receive a link on their registered email ID to download the hall ticket of TISSNET.
- Upon clicking the link, you will be required to enter your registration number and date of birth.
- In case candidates do not receive it by the first week of January 2018, they may request a duplicate admit card.
- In case of any discrepancy, you may call TISS CARE : 022 - 2552 5252 OR may register a complaint by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have TISSNET Admit Card in hand, cross-check all the details on it. Make sure they are true and correct.
- At the time of appearing for TISSNET 2018, carry a valid photo id card along with your admit card.
TISSNET Exam Centers 2018
TISSNET will be conducted at 39 exam centers across India. The comprehensive list of TISSNET Exam Centers is given below
|Northern Region||Eastern Region||Western Region||Southern Region|
TISSNET Exam Pattern 2018
- TISSNET is conducted in online mode (Computer Based Test).
- This year, TISS Exam is scheduled on January 6, 2018.
- Questions are majorly on General Awareness, Mathematical and Logical Reasoning and English.
- The overall difficulty level of last year’s paper was relatively higher since there was an increase in number of the GA questions.
Some of the important highlights for TISSNET Exam Pattern is mentioned in the table below.
|TISSNET Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Number of Sections||3 (General Awareness, Mathematical and Logical Reasoning and English)|
|Time Duration||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Sectional Time Limit||No|
|Marks per Question||1 mark|
As given above, the question paper will be divvided into 3 mains sections. The weightage of questions and marks of each can be seen below:
|Section||Subject Area||No. of Questions||Marks|
|II||Mathematical & Logical Reasoning||30||30|
TISSNET Syllabus 2018
All important topics of the 3 section in TISSNET are given below. These are generally of class 8-12 level. Make sure you leave no stone unturned while you prepare for the exam. Practice as many TISSNET Sample Papers as possible, so that you get a hang of the most recurring questions.
|Awareness of Social and General Issues||Analytical and Numerical ability||English Proficiency|
|Recent social issues||Time and work||Reading comprehension|
|Economic processes||Time and distance||Vocabulary|
|General Geology||Percentage, Average||Pairing of words|
|Meaning of terms||Square root and Basic algebra||Synonyms and antonyms|
|Personalities||Simple and compound interest||Fill in the blanks|
|Sociological awareness||Properties of shapes||Rearrange the sentences|
|Social activities and movements||Mixtures and Allegations||-|
|Fine arts and music||Speed-distance-time||-|
|Current Affairs||Basic set concepts||-|
Check detailed TISSNET Syllabus
TISSNET Preparation Books
Candidates must prepare from the right kind of study material to cover all significant topics that might come in TISSNET question paper. Some of the most reliable TISSNET Preparation books are mentioned below.
|Book Name||Author/Publisher Name|
|Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal||RS Aggarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|An Advanced Approach to Data Interpretation||RS Aggarwal|
|Proficiency in Reading Comprehension Simplifying the ‘Passage’ for you||Ajay Singh|
|Objective English for Competitive Examination||Hari Mohan Prasad|
|Indian Polity||M Laxmikanth|
Along with these books, candidates are also advised to thoroughly go through the NCERT books of Class 8th to 12th for preparing General Awareness and Mathematics sections. Reading newspapers and magazines will also aid their preparation on trending topics of global importance and current affairs. Check Tips to Prepare for TISSNET 2018
TISSNET Result 2018
- TISS Results will be declared on January 27, 2018 on the official website i.e. admissions.tiss.edu/.
- The result will release in the form of a scorecard.
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of the marks they score in the entrance exam.
- TISSNET merit list so prepared will decide the shortlisted candidates who are then called upon for Pre-Interview Test (PIT) and Personal Interview (PI).
- The final list of selected candidates will be displayed inApril 27, 2018.
How to Check TISSNET Result?
Candidates can check their TISSNET Result from the official website. The steps given below can help the candidates to check their TISS Results:
- Visit TISSNET official website
- Under 'Admissions' tab at the top of the page, click on the TISS Results section
- Enter your USER ID and PASSWORD
- Check TISSNET result
- Download and print scorecard for further use
Tie breaker in TISSNET
In case two or more candidates score the same marks and it is difficult to maintain the merit list, then TISS facilitates the candidates with tie-breaker criteria. This tie-breaker criterion involves comparison of marks of candidates at certain levels. To imply tie breaker criteria, following steps are followed:
- At first, the PI marks of the candidates will be compared.
- In case PI marks of both the candidates are equal, then PIT marks will be compared.
- If the PIT marks are also equal, then the entrance score of both the candidates will be taken into consideration.
- Again if entrance score comes equal, then the candidate older in age will be given preference over the one younger in age.
TISSNET Cut off 2018
- The cut off for TISS Exam is declared along with the result only.
- These are the minimum qualifying marks that a candidate must secure to stand eligible for next selection rounds.
- Some of the factors that determine TISSNET Cut off include previous year cutoff, difficulty level of exam, number of test takers, etc.
- Given below are the expected category-wise cut off marks for TISSNET 2018. However, TISS will declare the official cut off in February 2018.
|Programme||Category||TISSNET 2018 Cutoff (Official)|
|MA in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations||General category||82|
|Development Studies||General category||75|
Previous Year TISSNET Cut off (2013-2016)
|Category||Cut off Score|
|General||73 – 76||74-77||70-73||77-81|
|Other Backwards Classes||–||65-68||63-66||77-81|
|Person with Disability||–||62-65||58-61||65-67|
TISSNET Selection Procedure 2018
- All candidates who successfully qualify TISSNET will be called for PIT/PI rounds.
- Candidates who have obtained the minimum cut off score are only eligible to participate in TISSNET selection procedure.
- TISSNET Selection Procedure has three components of assessment. The components are
- National Entrance Test
- Pre-Interview Test / Group Discussion (GD)
- Personal Interview (PI)
- Candidates who have been shortlisted after the entrance examination will be invited for the subsequent round of Pre-Interview Test.
- The Pre-Interview Test is a written test conducted as part of the TISSNET Selection Procedure.
- There will be 2 sections
- Section I (25-30 Marks) will be of Essay Writing (1000-1500 words)
- Section II (20-25 Marks) will be a short case-let with 4 questions based on it.
- The duration of PIT is 35-45 minutes.
- The final round of the TISSNET selection process is the Personal Interview (PI).
- Candidates are expected to be acquainted with the program for which they have applied, for the PI round.
- The questions are normally asked regarding their program the candidates choose.
TISSNET Merit List 2018
Once all the 3 stages of TISSNET Selection Process are done, TISS will prepare a final merit list of selected students. The weightage given to all these stages is given below for your reference. Students who secure the maximum marks have chances of getting their preferred college.
|Component||Weightage (in %)||Total Marks|
|Pre-Interview Test (PIT)||30||50|
|Personal Interview (PI)||30||75|
Courses & Seats in TISS
Tata Institute of Social Sciences offers 55 M.A. courses across the country. TISS campuses are located in Mumbai, Chennai, Tuljapur, Guwahati, and Hyderabad. The number of seats varies from program to program in each of these campuses. Check them below:
|TISS Campus||Courses Available||Total Seat Intake|
|TISS Mumbai||M.A. Social Work in Children and Family||805|
|M.A. Social Work in Criminology and Justice|
|M.A. Social Work in Community Organization and Development Practice|
|M.A. Social Work in Disability Studies and Action|
|M.A. Social Work in Dalit and Tribal Studies and Action|
|M.A. Social Work in Public Health|
|M.A. Social Work in Mental Health|
|M.A. Social Work in livelihoods and social entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Social Work in Women Centred Practice|
|M.A. Human Resources Management and Labour Relations|
|M.A. Social Entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Globalisation and Labour|
|Master of Health Administration|
|Master of Hospital Administration|
|Master of Public Health in Social Epidemiology|
|Master of Public Health in Health Policy, Economics and Finance|
|M.A. Development Studies|
|M.A. in Womens Studies|
|M.A. Education (Elementary)|
|M.A./M.Sc. in Climate Change and Sustainability Studies|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Urban Policy and Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Regulatory Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Water Policy and Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Disaster Management|
|MA Applied Psychology - Specialization in Counselling Psychology|
|MA Applied Psychology - Specialization in Clinical Psychology|
|M.A. in Media and Cultural Studies|
|Master of Library and Information Science|
|Master of laws in access to justice|
|1. Online M.A. Social Work in Child Rights|
|2. Online M.A. International Family Studies|
|TISS Tuljapur||M.A. Social Work in Rural Development||80|
|M.A./M.Sc in Development Policy, Planning and Practice|
|M.A./M.Sc in Sustainable Livelihood and Natural Resources Governance|
|M.A. in Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
|TISS Guwahati||M.A. Social Work in Community Organization and Development Practices||155|
|M.A. Social Work in Public Health|
|M.A. Social Work in livelihoods and entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Social Work in Counselling|
|M.A. in Labour Studies and Social Protection|
|M.A. in Ecology, Environment and Sustainable Development|
|M.A. in peace and conflict studies|
|M.A. in Sociology and Social Anthropology|
|TISS Hyderabad||M.A. Development Studies||90|
|M.A. in Women Studies|
|M.A. in Rural Development and Governance|
|M.A. in Education|
|M.A. in Public Policy and Governance|
|M.A. in Natural Resources & Governance|
|M.A. Human Resource Management|
|TISS Chennai||M.A. Social Work in Mental Health||20|
|MA Applied Psychology - Specialization in Counselling Psychology|
|MA Applied Psychology - Specialization in Clinical Psychology|
|M.A. in Research, Management and Entrepreneurship in Health|
TISSNET 2018 FAQs
Ques. How to Resize Your Photo for Upload?
Ans. Here is how you can resize your photo that is required while filling TISSNET Application Form:
Step 1: Go to www.picresize.com
Step 2: Upload / Browse Your photo.
Step 3: Click Continue.
Step 4: After seeing the Preview in Step 1, Scroll down to Step 2, "Resize your Picture"
Step 5: From the drop-down list - Make My Picture, Select "Custom Size"
Step 6: Enter 113 Pixels as the Width and 170 Pixels as Height.
Step 7: Scroll Down to Step 4: "Save As"
Step 8: Select JPG/PNG as Desired Format and "I'm Done Resizing My Image" to download the output.
Ques 1: I belong to the SC/ST Category, which Income Document do I need to Upload?
Ans. Unemployed SC/ ST and OBC(NC) applicant's whose Parent's Annual income from all the sources is below 2.5 lakhs and 1 lakh respectively have to pay Application Fee INR 250/- + bank charges additional for per program selected
In order to claim this, the applicant is required to upload Income Certificate issued by the appropriate authority like Tahsildar, Naib Tahsildar, Block Development Officer or the District Magistrate/Collector.
Ques 2: How many seats are reserved for SC/ST/OBC/PWD?
Ans: For SC (15%), ST (7.5%), OBC(NC) (27%) and PWD (3% i.e. 1% in each category of a) Low vision/blindness, b) Hearing Impairment, and c) Locomotor Disability / Cerebral Palsy) as per Government of India (Goi) rules. The reservation for Kashmiri Migrants (KM) 1 % and Armed Forced 5% subject to the Government of India (Goi) Directives
Ques 3: What is the procedure for verifying Original Documents?
Ans: Document verification will be done before re-opening of classes between April to June 2018 All the original documents from Xth standard onwards should be produced for verification.
Ques 4: What is Pre-admission Medical check-up?
Ans: All the provisionally selected candidates have to undergo for the Medical check-up which will be conducted by the Medical Officers of the Institute after verification of original documents on the same Day.
Ques 5: Can I apply for multiple courses?
Ans. Yes, you may apply for multiple programmes and pay for those programmes in one online form and should not fill more than one form.
Ques 6: How will be the seats allotted post final merit list?
Ans. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of merit and the preferences indicated by the candidates at the time of filling up the online application form (Kindly Indicate your preferences carefully as it has implications for the merit list).
Ques 7: Where will the PIT/ PI rounds be held?
Ans. TISSNET will take place at 39 different cities/towns across the country. Pre Interview Test (PIT) and Personal Interview (PI) for programmes offered at Mumbai, Tuljapur, BANYAN, Chennai will be conducted at the Mumbai Campus. For programmes offered at Hyderabad and Guwahati, the PIT/PI will be conducted at the respective campuses. Candidates applying for programmes at more than one campus will have to travel to these places for PIT/PI. Except for the eligible candidates from the SC/ST categories, all others will bear the cost of travel, lodging, and boarding for attending the NET, as well as PIT/PI.
Ques 8: Can I change the date of my PIT/ PI?
Ans. A change in the dates for PIT and PI may be considered if the date of PIT and PI at the TISS clashes with the date of entrance test of another Institution or the date of final year examination of the candidate. However, the candidate must produce documentary evidence for this. Please note that the changed date for PIT and PI will be only within the time schedule announced by TISS.