NID 2018 is national level entrance exam conducted by National Institute of Design for various UG and PG design courses. The exam is scheduled for January 8, 2018. Candidates wishing to apply for NID DAT 2018 can fill the application form online on the official website, www.nid.edu. The exam will be of 3 hours with subjective and objective type questions.
- NID 2018 Application Form will be available from November 28, 2018 (tentative)
- Candidates can apply till November 28, 2018 in the online mode.
- Applicants paying through demand draft will have to send their application form to NID before December 02, 2018.
- For M.Des program, candidates must not be more than 30 years.
- For B.Des and GDPD program candidates must not be more than 20 years of age.
- Application Fee of INR 2000 must be paid by General category aspirants of B.Des/GDPD/M.Des (1 discipline). The application fee is INR 4000 for 2 disciplines in M.Des.
- Candidates qualifying the Prelims round will be eligible to appear for Mains exam.
Candidates appearing for NID DAT get admission in NID Ahmedabad, NID Gujarat, NID Bangalore, NID Kurukshetra and NID Vijaywada (Diploma courses). After clearing NID DAT Prelims round, selected candidates will have to appear for Studio Test round and Personal Interview round.
NID 2018 Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||NID Design Aptitude Test (NID DAT)|
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Design|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|Purpose||Admission to B.Des, M.Des and GDPD courses|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Exam Date||January 8, 2018|
|Eligibility Criteria||Age Limit: 30 years for M.Des|
|Age Limit: 20 years for B.Des & GDPD|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Exam Mode||Pen and Paper Based exam|
|Number of Papers||2 (Prelims and Mains)|
|Mains Exam rounds||Studio Test and Interview|
NID 2018 Important Dates
NID DAT 2018 will be conducted for admission to NID campuses in India for admission to UG, PG and Diploma courses in various design fields. The table below comprises the complete schedule of NID 2018, Studio Test and Personal Interview:
|Last Date to Apply||November 28, 2017|
|Availability of NID DAT 2018 Admit Card||December 20, 2017|
|Availability of NID 2017 Admit Card for Studio test and Interview for M.Des||February 12, 2018|
|Availability of NID 2017 Admit Card for Studio test and Interview for B.Des||February 28, 2018|
|DAT for B.Des., GDPD, M.Des., Overseas Candidates||January 8, 2018|
|Studio Test and Interview for Overseas Candidates at Ahmedabad Campus||January 11, 2018 – January 14, 2018|
|Conduct of Studio Test & Interviews for M.Des. at all three NID Campuses||March 19, 2018 – April 15, 2018|
|Conduct of Studio Test & Interviews for B.Des and M.Des. at Ahmedabad NID Campus||May 17, 2018 – May 24, 2018|
|Declaration of NID 2017 Result for DAT for M.Des||February 05, 2018|
|Declaration of NID 2017 Result for DAT for B.Des and GDPD||February 22, 2018|
|Announcement of 1st Merit List for M.Des and B.Des||May 31, 2018|
|Announcement of 2nd Merit List for M.Des and B.Des||June 17, 2018|
|Document Verification, Fee Payment and NID 2017 Admission Process for Selected Candidates||June 16, 2018|
|Document Verification, Fee Payment and NID 2017 Admission Process for Waitlisted Candidates||June 29, 2017|
|Orientation Programme at all three campuses of NID 2017||July 14, 2018 & July 15, 2018|
NID 2018 Eligibility
The candidates who will to register for NID 2018 must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
Bachelor of Design
The eligibility criteria of B.Des. course is as follows:
1. Age Limit
The candidates applying for DAT 2018 for B.Des. program must not be more than 20 years of age as on July 2017. General Category candidates born on or before July 1, 1996 are not eligible to apply for NID. Reserved Category candidates born on or before July 1, 1993 are not eligible to apply for NID as well.
2. Educational Qualifications
The candidates applying for NID DAT 2018 must have completed or will appear in the final examination of 10+2 from a recognized board (AISSE/ICSE/CBSE). The candidates with following qualifications are also eligible for the exam:
- Pass in final examination of 10+2 system conducted by a Central Board or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- The Final Examination of Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National School of Open Learning with a minimum of 5 subjects.
- Any Public School or Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- H.S.C. Vocational Qualification
- General Certificate Examination from London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka at the Advanced Level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed 12th standard outside India whose board is not recognized by the Board of India should produce a certificate to Association of Indian University as a proof that they have passed their 12th standard.
Master of Design
1. Age Limit
The maximum age limit is 30 years for the candidates applying for the Bachelor Programme as on July 1, 2016. General Category applicants born on or before July 1, 1986 are not eligible. Reserved Category applicants born on or before July 1, 1983 are not eligible.
2. Educational Qualification
Applicants will have to proof that they have passed the following equivalently qualifying exams before July 6, 2016.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4 system, from any university recognized by law in India.
Diploma in Design under 10+2+4 system, from any university recognized by law of India.
NID 2018 Application Process
NID 2018 Registration will begin from the month of October 12, 2018 till November 28, 2018. The candidates can fill the application process online by entering their mobile no., email ID, Date of birth etc. NID 2018 Admit Cards will be available online from December 20, 2017. The candidates need to follow the steps given below to appear for NID 2018:
The details of the photograph and signatures to be uploaded are mentioned below:
|Scanned Photograph||A recent photograph – JPEG Format – Less than 100 KB|
|Candidates’ Scanned Signature||Blue/Black ball pen on white paper – JPEG Format – Less than 100 KB|
NID 2018 Application Process for Foreign Nationals
Overseas candidates can apply for NID 2018 and will have to appear for the subsequent stages of selection (Studio Test and Personal Interview) at NID Ahmedabad Campus. The candidates would need to submit following documents at the time of Registration:
- Attested copy of pages of passport of containing candidates’ details.
- For B.Des. program – The candidates need to submit attested copies of their SSC, HSC marksheets. For SSC appearing candidates, it is important to present bonafide certificate.
- For M.Des. program - The candidates need to submit attested copies of their SSC, HSC, marksheets and graduation certificate
An equivalence certificate must be obtained from Association of Indian University (AIU), New Delhi.
NID 2018 Application Fee
The application fee of NID 2018 can be submitted online or offline. The offline payment can be done via Demand draft in favor of “All India Management Association” payable at New Delhi. The application fee for different courses is as follows:
|Program||General Category||OBC-NCL/ Overseas Category SC/ST/PwD)||Overseas (Supernumary)|
|Only B.Des.||INR 1500||INR 750||INR 1500|
|Only GDPD||INR 1500||INR 750||INR 1500|
|Both B.Des. and GDPD||INR 3000||INR 1500||INR 3000|
|M.Des. - 1 discipline||INR 1500||INR 750||INR 1500|
|M.Des. – 2 discipline||INR 3000||INR 1500||INR 3000|
NID 2018 Admit Card
The candidates who have registered for the exam must carry their NID 2018 admit card to the exam center to avoid any kind of discrepancy. NID 2018 admit card will be available from December 20, 2017 on the official website of NID. The admit card of studio test and personal interview will be made available on the official website from February 28, 2018. Follow the steps given below to download NID 2018 Admit Card:
- Visit the official website of NID - www.admissions.nid.edu.
- Click on the relevant link of NID 2018 Admit Card.
- Fill in the required details and click submit button.
- In case the candidate has forgotten their application no., click on “Click here to view your application”.
- Click on “submit” to see the application number
- The NID 2018 Admit card will be generated on the screen. Take a printout and keep it safely.
NID 2018 Exam Center
NID 2018 will be conducted at various exam centers in India. The exam will be conducted in 3 stages – DAT, Studio test and Personal Interview. Candidates will be allotted exam centers for each stage. The table below comprises the list of NID 2018 Exam centers:
NID 2018 Exam Pattern
NID 2018 is a 3 hour exam in which subjective and objective type questions are asked. The exam assesses candidates designing skills, creativity, reasoning ability and problem solving skills. The exam has 2 sections, Section A (70 marks) and Section B (30 marks) having MCQ and subjective questions respectively. The table below indicates the complete pattern of NID 2018:
|No. of sections||2 (Section A and B)|
|No. of Questions||100|
|Type of Questions||MCQ and Subjective|
|Marking Scheme||1 mark each question|
Note: There is no negative marking.
After clearing NID DAT, the candidates will have to appear for the Stage 2 i.e. Studio Test which will be a 100 marks test. The personal interview round for B.Des. will be conducted immediately after the studio test at the same center.
NID 2018 Result
NID 2018 Result for B.Des. and M.Des. is expected to be declared on February 28, 2018 and February 05, 2018. The candidates can check their results online by following the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the official website www.results.nid.edu
- Click on the link NID 2018 Result
- Enter roll no. and application no. and click submit.
- The result will appear on the screen
- Take the printout and keep it for further reference.
NID 2018 Cutoff
The cutoff of NID 2018 will be released after the declaration of NID Results. The candidates get admission in 4 year undergraduate or diploma courses and 2.5 years Post graduate courses in Design after clearing all the stages of the exam. The expected NID 2018 cutoff is as follows:
NID 2018 Counseling
The 3 step counseling process of NID 2018 will be conducted in the first week of June 2018. The shortlisted candidates will be able to participate in the counseling process. The 3 steps of Counseling are as follows:
Online Consent by Qualified candidates
The online consent is to be sent by qualified candidates from May 31, 2018 to June 03, 2018 for being eligible for the next step of counseling. Based on the online consent, the merit list will be released and uploaded regularly on the official NID website.
Online uploading of Documents
Once the candidates name has been there on the merit list, they need to upload a few documents in jpeg format for the purpose of verification. The documents required are as follows:
- 10th marksheet
- 12th marksheet
- Birth certificate
- Graduation degree for admission to M.Des.
The uploaded documents will be verified by the information mentioned in NID 2018 application form. In case of any mismatch, the admission of the candidate is liable to cancellation.
The reserved category candidates need to upload the scanned copy of category certificate which should be issued by competent authorities and overseas candidates need to upload the scanned copy of the relevant pages of passport.
NID 2018 Reservation
NID 2018 has reservation norms for all the courses offered by National institute of Design. The category-wise division of seats for Bachelor of Design course, as per the NID 2016 Reservation Policy, is given as follows:
|Total no. of seats||General||OBC-NCL||Scheduled Caste||Scheduled Tribe|
|Percentage of Reservation||51.5%||27%||15%||7.5%|
The category-wise division of seats for M.Des. course, as per the NID 2016 Reservation Policy, is given as follows:
|Total No. of seats||General||OBC-NCL||Scheduled Caste||Scheduled Tribes|
|Percentage of reservation||51.5%||27%||15%||7.5%|
|Disciplines with 15 seats each||8||4||2||1|
|Disciplines with 10 seats each||5||3||1||1|
Persons with Disabilities
The Persons with Disability (PwD) will be given a 3% horizontal reservation of seats from the parent category in each programme cutting across all sections i.e. SCs, STs, OBCs (Non-Creamy only) and General category.
To avail the NID 2017 reservation the candidate has to keep in mind that it will be provided to only those candidates who have 40% or more category as per the rules and guidelines issued by the Government of India.
NID 2017 Reservation for Overseas Candidates
There is a provision for 15% reservation of supernumerary seats in B. Des. and M. Des. Programmes for overseas category candidates. The candidates belonging to the NRI category (Non-Resident of India) shall be required to apply as Indian Citizens.
NID 2018 Seat Intake
The no. of seats available in each course are as follows:
|Faculty||Stream||No. of seats|
|Faculty of Industrial Design||Product Design||15 seats|
|Furniture Design||10 seats|
|Ceramic and Glass Design||10 seats|
|Faculty of Communication Design||Animation Film Design||15 seats|
|Film and Video Communication||10 seats|
|Exhibition Design||10 seats|
|Faculty of Textile, Apparel & Lifestyle Accessory Design||Textile Design||15 seats|