NEST (National Entrance Screening Test) 2018 is a national level entrance test which caters competitive edge to a number of institutes. It will be held under the guidance of National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER). NEST is conducted in 59 cities all over India. The qualifying students are enrolled for a five-year integrated M.Sc program. Obtaining a seat in NISER is highly competitive. From a total of 70,000 applicants nationwide, only 0.325% qualify for admission.
- NEST 2018 Application Form will be available tentatively from 1st week of January 2018.
- NEST 2018 will be conducted tentatively in the last week of May 2018.
- An application fee of INR 750 needs to be paid online.
- It is a 3 hours examination.
- Must have secured minimum 60 % for General category and minimum 55 % for SC, ST, and PD category in the 12th standard or equivalent exam to satisfy Eligibility Criteria for NEST 2018.
- NEST 2018 is an offline based entrance test with multiple choice questions of 230 marks evenly distributed among five subjects. Check Here NEST Exam Pattern
- The general section does not have negative marking scheme, but rest of the sections have negative marking.
- The Syllabus for NEST includes Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- Result for NEST 2018 exam will be announced on June 11, 2018.
- The merit will be calculated on the basis of three highest scored sections including the first one.
NEST 2018 Highlights
|Name of the Exam||NEST – National Entrance Screening Test|
|Date of NEST 2018 exam||Last week of May 2018|
|Exam conducting body||National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER)|
|Mode of exam||Offline mode|
|Medium of exam||English|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
|Type of questions||Multiple choice questions|
|Negative marking||Yes, on all sections except General|
|Courses offered||5 years integrated M.Sc courses|
NEST 2018 Exam Dates
Candidates interested in appearing for NEST 2018 must know about all the important exam dates so that they can apply for the examination on time. The important exam dates of NEST 2018 are given in the table below:
|Online Application Start date||1st week of January 2018|
|Last date to apply for NEST 2018||1st week of March 2018|
|Admit card availability online||3rd week of April 2018|
|NEST 2018 Exam date||Last week of May 2018|
|Result Declaration||2nd week of June 2018|
NEST 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates will have to ensure that they have an idea of the eligibility criteria before applying for the same. In case a candidate is ineligible and still applies for the exam, their application will be cancelled by the governing body. Also, the application fee will not be refunded.
Few important NEST 2018 Eligibility Criteria needs to be matched before applicants apply for NEST –
- Candidate’s date of birth must be before August 1998.
- This holds true for general and OBC candidates.
- There is total five years relaxation for SC/ ST candidates.
- Candidates need to complete 10+2 exam from a recognized board.
- Final year students are also eligible.
- 2016 to 2017 students will be considered as final year applicant.
- Candidates must have Mathematics as the mandatory subject on 10+2 exam.
- A science stream student will be given preference.
- Other mandatory subjects are: physics, chemistry, biology or life science subjects.
Minimum Marks Required
- A minimum of 60% marks is required in aggregate in 10+2 final exam for general category students.
- The same is 55% marks in aggregate for SC, ST students.
- Candidates from J & K, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana state has a quota of 15%.
NEST 2018 Application Form
NEST 2018 Application Form will be available from 1st week of January 2018. It can be filled online at the official website of NEST i.e. www.nestexam.in. Follow the below steps to learn how to register for NEST 2018:
- Visit the official website of NEST i.e. www.nestexam.in.
- Click on the link ‘Apply Online’ link on NEST 2018 website to reach the online application page on/after January 02, 2018.
- Enter the requried credentials i.e. name, a valid email id and a password of their choice in a window.
- Candidates will then receive an email at the email id provided by them, containing a link to confirm the registration.
- After confirmation, provide the same email id & password, enter the secret code and click on ‘Login’ in the window.
- NEST 2018 Application Process allows multi-session data entry.
- If the candidate forgets their password then click ‘forgot password’ link.
- For safety reasons, candidates are allowed to retrieve the password only twice.
NEST 2018 Application Fee
- NEST 2018 application fee needs to be paid inonline mode during the time of submitting the duly filled application form.
- There is no option of sending a demand draft to the council for the fee.
- NISER Conducting body, has clearly mentioned that no center will physically collect the application fee from students.
- It has to be paid online using credit or debit card or net banking options.
- Below is the fee structure that NEST 2018 follows. Based on the category, applicants need to pay the fee.
|Category||Application Fee Structure|
|General male candidate||INR 700|
|General female candidate||INR 350|
|SC/ST male candidate||INR 350|
|SC/ST female candidate||INR 350|
|OBC male candidate||INR 700|
|OBC female candidate||INR 350|
NEST 2018 Admit Card
- Admit Card for NEST will be available for download in 2nd week of April 2018.
- The Hall Ticket is to be downloaded from NEST official website - www.nestexam.in
- No candidate will receive NEST Admit card via e-mail or post.
How to download NEST Admit Card?
Step 1: Visit the official website of NEST i.e. www.nestexam.in
Step 2: Follow the link to download NEST Admit Card 2018
Step 3: Enter the provisional ID and Password received during the NEST Application Process.
Step 4: Verify the details on the NEST Admit card.
Step 5: Print multiple copies.
NEST 2018 Exam Center
- NISER is the allocating authority which reserves the rights to allocate NEST Exam Center to all candidates.
- The allotted Exam Center will be indicated on the NEST Admit Card.
- Candidates have to mention their choice of NEST Exam Center during the Application Process while filling the details in the Registration Form.
- Applicants can select up totwo centers.
- Candidates have to mention the choice of NEST Exam center with the state code in which it is located.
NEST 2018 Exam Pattern
- The exam is divided into five sections with 50 marks each.
- The five sections are General Aptitude, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- The first section is compulsory to attend.
- Section 2 to 5 is for the subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics.
- Candidates can choose any section.
- The merit will be calculated on the basis of three highest scored sections including the first one.
- The question paper will aggregate to 200 marks.
- The mode of language is English.
- The question paper will comprise objective type questions.
- Negative marking will be done for subject sections only.
- The question paper will be in OMR pattern.
- The question paper will contain total 200 marks.
NEST 2018 Syllabus
There is no specific syllabus as such that NEST 2018 follows. The content of the exam will depend broadly on the syllabus that candidates studied during their standard eleventh and twelfth. The exam is conducted on five sections.
- General: It covers 30 marks and general topic.
- Physics: It covers 50 marks and the topics for any standard twelfth board exam.
- Chemistry: Covers 50 marks with class twelfth syllabus.
- Biology: Covers 50 marks and the syllabus centers round life science.
- Mathematics: It too covers 50 marks and the syllabus is from 10th standard.
Below are the list of books one can use for preparation purpose.
|Name of the book||Publisher or author||ISBN|
|Modern ABC of Textbook Chemistry||Dr. S.P.Jauhar||9351841219|
|Aptitude Test problems in Physics||S.S Krotov||9350941449|
|Concepts of Physics||H.C. Verma||8177091875|
|Genetic Engineering||P.S Verma||B00QUYL11W|
|Objective Biology||M.P. Tyagi and J.P Goyal||818722374X|
|Integral Calculus||Amit M. Agarwal||9311126225|
|Skills in Mathematics Coordinates Geometry for IIT JEE||S.K Goyal||9351761401|
NEST 2018 Result
NEST 2018 exam result will be declared on June third week 2018. The result will be available online. Candidates are advised to keep checking the official website for all important updates. The result will reflect on the official website on a tab which will read result 2018. The steps candidates need to follow in order to check their result are;
- Login to official website using user id and password credentials.
- Click on result tab ‘Exam Result’
- Download the result along with answer key.
- Check the cut off score.
- The score card will give a brief understanding about the merit list.
- Based on the result and merit list the final list of candidates will be released.
- This list will focus on the applicants who are selected for student counselling.
NEST 2018 Counselling
By July 2018 counselling for NEST 2018 will begin. The selected aspirants will be allotted dates and venue for the counselling. This is the final step to get admission in the five years integrated program. The final merit list is uploaded on the official website. Candidates are requested to check the official website for NEST 2018 for the list. Based on the list and location of the candidate, a venue will be suggested along with date and time. Candidates need to appear on the mentioned date and time on that venue for counselling. Few important documents need to be carried. They are;
- Mark sheets till 10+2.
- Incase candidate has already done some diploma course post twelfth then the mark sheet for the same is also required.
- Along with mark sheet certificate is also required.
- Either of the address proofs like; voter id card, adhar card, bank pass book, LIC policy document, ration card or any other government address proof.
- Id proof like; driving license, pan card, voter id card, adhar card, 10+2 admit card or any other document issued by Government of India authority.
- In case of SC and ST candidates government certificate for class category is essential to submit.
- Candidates need to carry minimum three passport sized photos with themselves.
There are main two rounds that takes place; one is group discussion and the other is personal interview.
- In group discussion candidate’s in-depth knowledge is checked.
- In personal interview candidates are counselled and mentally prepared for the course they are aspiring.
- Since it is a five-year integrated course so students need to really focus on their real aspiration towards a specific course.