AMU or Aligarh Muslim University conducts a law entrance exam in order to offer admission to aspirants in the undergraduate law course offered by it. AMU BA LLB is an offline exam, which means it’ll be a written examination also known as pen and paper based examination. The entrance exam to a full-fledged 5yrs course is expected to be conducted in MAY 2018.
- Candidates who apply for the entrance will have to clear the exam which will be both subjective and objective.
- They will be given a time of 2 hours to complete the exam consisting of 85 questions.
- Out of 85 questions, 75 questions will be objective type and remaining 10 will be subjective.
- The question paper will be based on 4 fields of knowledge: General Knowledge/Current Affairs, General English, Logical Reasoning and aptitude.
AMU BA LLB 2018 Marking Scheme
Candidates have to solve 85 questions. 75 Objective type questions and 10 short answer type questions in 2 hours. Candidates have to mark the correct choice in the OMR Sheet provided to them using black ball point pen and for short answer type question they have to write in separate sheet. Objective questions carry one mark each and Subjective questions carry 2.5 mark each.
However, there is a pattern followed for Negative Marking as well.
- For every incorrect objective answer, there is a deduction of 0.25 mark.
- For every incorrect subjective answer, there is a deduction of 2.5 marks.
These deductions are for each incorrect attempt of the candidate from the total score of the candidate.
There are conditions for negative marking. Candidate are allotted negative mark if their answers fall under following conditions:
- Responding with incorrect option
- Responding with more than one option
AMU BA LLB 2018 Syllabus
Candidates aspiring to appear for AMU BA LLB 2018 entrance exam must prepare themselves according to the exam pattern. There will be 85 question based on three subjects:
- General Knowledge/Current Affairs
- General English
- Logical Reasoning and aptitude
There is no prescribed course for the entrance exam. However, a standardised form of entrance exam contains above three subjects. Here is detail about each subject-wise course:
|General Knowledge/Current Affairs||Questions in this section will be based on legal issues in India, informs the official website. Besides, other questions can be based on topics such as current affairs in India, eminent personalities, awards, etc. |
|General English||Questions in this section will mainly be from topics such as grammar, reading comprehension, synonyms, antonyms, vocabulary, etc.|
|Logical Reasoning and aptitude and Legal Reasoning||Questions in this section can include questions on topics such as critical reasoning, analogy, blood relations, series, etc.|
The subjective questions in this exam are based on legal issues, law topics and general awareness. AMU BA LLB paper will contain questions from the following sections. Candidates can get a fair idea which type of questions are asked in the entrance examination.
General Knowledge & Current Affairs
- Important awards of the year – sports, science, literature and arts
- Major UN bodies, their functions locations
- Overview of Indian history and geography
- Physical geography, science and environment
- Important happenings in the area of the Indian Constitution or Justice system
English Language & Comprehension
- Jumbled words/sentences
- Fill in the blanks
- Incorrect sentences
- Unseen passages
- Reading Comprehension
Reasoning can be further divided into following three subheads:
Reasoning & Analytical Abilities
- Blood Relations
- Critical Reasoning
Here, questions are usually around basic arithmetic. Some topics worth studying are:
- Profit and loss
- Number system
- AP and GP
Legal Awareness & Aptitude
- Indian Constitution, its structure, sections and schedules
- IPC and the CrPC
- Vicarious Liability
- Strict Liability
- Law of Crimes
- Contracts and Constitutional Law
- International Law
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Legal Awareness covering Constitutional Law and Polity
Preparation tips for candidates:
A candidate must be physically and mentally prepared to work hard for the exam. As the course is vast and is a little different from what one studies in school, he/she should be ready to put in efforts to cope up with the pace.
- Here are some tips for candidates aspiring to make a career in law.
- Generally all competitive exams constitute of 25 per cent of general knowledge questions and current affairs. Current affairs knowledge can be more beneficial rather than static GK.
- While preparing for this exam the students should focus on the important current topics. Subjects related to trade, finance, international economics and anything as recent as the past six months.
- Students must practice basic mathematics or Elementary mathematics. This includes mathematics of class 8th to 10th. While preparing, topics such as Profit and Loss, Percentage, Number system, Average, Algebra, AP and GP should be focused upon for the examination.
- A student aspiring for law entrance exams needs to practice his logical reasoning as well as Legal Reasoning. Here topics such as syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. are covered. Logical reasoning tests the candidate’s ability to identify patterns, logical links and rectify illogical arguments.
- Along with Legal Reasoning, Candidates should be updated with legal news and should know at least the most common of the legal general knowledge. It can be a legislative development in Parliament or a landmark judgment from the Supreme Court or High Courts. All of this would be important for the exam.
- English is an important part of examination paper. Candidate must learn the basics of Grammar, should master vocabulary and must start solving reading comprehensions.
- The candidate should appear for mock tests on a regular basis, as this will show him his improvement and where he needs to put extra efforts.
- Universal's Guide to CLAT & LL.B.
- Legal Aptitude and Legal reasoning for the CLAT and LLB Examination
- CLAT common Law Admission Test
- CLAT and LLB Entrance Examination: Study Package (Paperback)
- The Mega Yearbook 2018 - Current Affairs & General Knowledge for Competitive Exams.
- Self-Study Guide BBA/BBS/BBM Entrance Examination 2018.
- Universal's Guide to LL.M.
- Legal Awareness Legal Reasoning 5/e.
- Legal Aptitude for the CLAT and other Law Entrance Examinations: A Workbook, 1e.
Students are advised to buy or refer to the latest edition of the book. These books are revised every year to help and guide students with the updated news. Students can refer to other such books as well. A purchase can be made online as well as from offline store.
There are few online books available to go through. These are very helpful for the process of preparing for examination. Students can also refer to test series which are available online. These help student understand the pattern of examination and guide through the course of examination.