CAT 2018 Results are expected to be declared in the second week of January 2018. The result of CAT 2018 will display the section-wise scores, overall scaled scores, and percentiles secured by the examinee. The conducting authority will release CAT 2018 Results in online mode only.
Here are the key highlights of CAT 2018 Results:
- CAT Results will be declared at the official website of IIM i.e. iimcat.ac.in.
- Candidate’s ID and password are required to check the results.
- The percentile for CAT ranges between 90-99 for all top colleges. Check CAT Cut off
- As an estimate, a score of 150 to 166 will be equivalent to secure 99 percentile or above. Read CAT Score Calculation
- Candidates who qualify CAT 2018 and clear the cut off, will proceed towards CAT Counselling from February onwards.
- The counselling process done by CAT is offline but for seat allotment. online web counselling is conducted.
CAT 2018 will be held in December 2018. CAT or Common Admission Test is a national level management entrance exam conducted every year by Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs) on a rotational basis. A total of 20 IIMs and over 100+ top B-Schools of the nation will be accepting the CAT 2018 score. Last year, 2,32,343 candidates applied for the test and 1,95,000 appeared for the test.
CAT 2018 Result Date
CAT 2018 Results are expected to be released on the 2nd week of January 2018 and the exam would be conducted on the 1st week of December 2018. Here are all the important dates of CAT 2018 that you must keep in mind:
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||1st week of December 2018|
|CAT 2018 Result Date||1st Week of January 2018|
|CAT 2018 Counselling Date||After releasing CAT Score Card|
How to Check CAT 2018 Results?
IIMs would be announcing the CAT result at their official webiste in the 2nd week of January, 2018. CAT 2018 results would include marks scored by candidates in normalized form and CAT 2018 percentile. Candidates can follow the following steps to check their results:
- Visit the official website i.e. iimcat.ac.in
- Click on the 'Download CAT 2018 Result' option at the bottom of the home page.
- Fill your Hall Ticket number or Registration Number in the available fields.
- Score and Rank Card will be displayed
- Download the Rank card or take a Screen shot of it for future reference.
Details on CAT 2018 Score Card
Since the CAT exam is held in two different slots the scores obtained by candidates are scaled (up/down) to adjust session, location and scale difference. The score card would include the following details -
- Candidate’s name
- Date of birth
- Contact detail
- Registration Number / User ID.
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) – Scaled Scored and Percentile.
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) – Scaled Score and Percentile.
- Quantitative Ability (QA) – Scaled Score and Percentile.
- Overall scaled score
- Overall percentile.
Here is a sample of CAT Score Card:
Normalization of Scores in CAT 2018
- Normalization of score in CAT 2018 is implemented to ensure fairness and equity in the performance comparison.
- The Normalization process is applied because it needs to take into account any variation in the difficulty levels of the question sets across the different sessions.
- The normalization of scores are done based on the basic assumption that in all multi-session papers, the distribution of abilities of candidates remains the same across all the sessions.
- The scores obtained from this process would be converted into percentiles for shortlisting.
Formula for normalization of score: The score normalization process formula as understood by the experts is as follows-
Normalized mark (︿Mij) of jth candidate in ith slot, is given by
︿Mij = Mgt - MgqMti - Miq ( Mij - Miq ) + Mgq
Mij is the actual marks obtained by the jth candidate in the ith slot,
Mgt is the average marks of the top 0.1 % candidates in all slots,
Mgq is the sum of mean and standard deviation of marks of all candidates in all slots,
Mti is the average of marks of top 0.1 % candidates in the ith slot,
Miq is the sum of mean and standard deviation of marks of all candidates in the ith slot.
Read CAT Score Calculation
CAT Result Trend
The below table represents the score vs percentile for three years- 2014, 2015 and 2016.
|Year||No. of candidates appeared||Scores obtained||Conversion into percentile|
|CAT 2014||1,67,829||268.700 – 261.740||100|
|CAT 2015||1,79,602||254.61 – 249.9||100|
|215.54 – 215.43||99.89|
CAT 2018 Answer key
Since CAT is an online exam and students are not provided with any question booklets, so there is no official release of the answer key. There are many coaching centres which publish unofficial answer key. Candidates can refer to that and calculate their scores accordingly.
CAT 2018 Cutoff
- CAT 2018 Cut Off is to be declared by IIMs after the results are announced.
- As per the existing norms, each IIM is free to mandate their own eligibility criteria which could include academic cutoff & relative weights.
- It is observed that few IIMs use previous academic performance of candidates, work experience, and other similar inputs in short listing and ranking of candidates at various stages of selection process.
- Cut Off is the minimum marks which a candidate should secure in the CAT exam to qualify it.
- Every year the cut off varies and is dependent on several factors which determine it such as availability of seats, number of candidates who passed the exam, common marks secured by the candidates, difficulty level of exam, highest marks scored by the candidates etc.
- The cut off marks for CAT is different for each category and each region. Candidates are advised to check the category-wise CAT cut off. For detailed information on various IIMs and their cutoff candidates can visit their respective websites.
Institute-wise Cut Off
Read more about CAT Cut off
CAT 2018 Counselling
- The counseling process is conducted by the Indian Institute of Management after declaration of CAT 2018 Results.
- In order to appear for CAT 2018 Counselling, candidates need to register themselves at the official website.
- Thereafter, one must fill in the choices regarding their preferred course.
- The seats are allotted to the candidates as per their rank, choices filled by them, their performance in the GD & PI sessions and also the availability of seats.
Important Points of CAT 2018 Counselling
- Candidates should download the CAT Rank Card first.
- Since counselling depends on the rank it is necessary for candidates to check the counselling date for the rank that they have scored in the CAT exam.
- After getting the Specific Rank date, candidates must get their certificates verified at the Help Line Center allotted to them.
- It is important because the Certificate Verification is mandatory and the candidates won't be allowed for the CAT Web Options if he fails to do the same.
- Course option must be opted before going for the web options.
- Select your desired college in which you want to get admission through the Web Counseling
- After few days candidates will be allocated a seat based on their eligibility by the IIM authority
- Thereafter an Allotment order will be sent to candidate’s Registered CAT account
- Candidates have to download the Seat Allotment order & report it to the assigned college
Note: If a candidate fails to appear in the Counselling Process, then a candidate in the waiting list will be allotted seat in his/her position.
Read more about CAT Counselling
Documents Required for CAT 2018 Counselling
Following documents should be produced before the authority on the day of CAT 2018 Counselling
- Original counseling letter along with a photocopy of it.
- Original Admit card with a photocopy of it.
- Bank draft has to be made as per the guidelines mentioned on CAT prospect.
- All the original documents of 10th & 12th class and at least two photocopies of each.
- Rank Card/ CAT Hall Ticket.
- Scorecard (if applicable).
- Original degree/provisional certificate.
- Community certificate(SC/ST/OBC/Other) signed by the authorized authority.
- Medical documents mentioned on CAT application form.
- Work Experience proof like, experience letter, offer letter, salary slips, etc.
- 4-6 Passport size photographs color and black and white.
- Other supportive documents mentioned on CAT application form.