Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala conducts MGU CAT every year, for admission to its 26 PG programs. Separate exams are conducted for admission to different courses offered at the various schools and departments of the university. However, a candidate needs to submit only one centralized application.
The MGU CAT Application Process is online. The application process starts in the month of March and continues till May and exam is conducted at the end of the month of May. A candidate must hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant stream to be eligible to apply for the PG programs. The MGU CAT Eligibility Criteria also varies across the departments and programs.
The entrance test will be of 90 minutes duration and will mainly consist of objective type questions from the relevant streams to which a candidate has applied to. The result for MGU CAT 2017 will tentatively be declared in the first week of June 2017 after which the university will declare a provisional rank list. The final step in the admission process is a centralized counselling. The counselling is conducted separately for each course.
Important Dates for MGU CAT 2017
The application process for MGU CAT starts in the month of March and the entire process is wrapped up by the end of month of June. The entire tentative schedule for MGU CAT 2017, is given below:
|Online Candidate Registration||March 16, 2017 to May 06, 2017|
|Last date for Online submission of application||May 10, 2017|
|Submission of Advance Copy of Application for Foreign Candidates||March 30, 2017|
|Last Date for submission of Original Application through Indian Embassy for Foreign Candidates||May 06, 2017|
|Final Confirmation of application||May 12, 2017|
|Admit Card Download||May 16, 2017|
|Entrance Examination Date||May 28 & May 29, 2017|
|Result Declaration||June 08, 2017|
|Publication of Provisional Rank List||June 08, 2017|
|Admission Counselling||June 15 to June 17, 2017|
Eligibility Criteria for MGU CAT 2017
The general eligibility for applying to MGU CAT is that a candidate must possess an undergraduate degree in a relevant stream. The detailed eligibility for each course is given below:
|M.Sc. Disability Studies and Rehabilitation Sciences||1. A candidate must have a degree in Arts with not less than 45% marks or any Science Degree with a minimum of 50% marks.|
|M.Sc. Psychology||1. BA/B.Sc. Psychology with not less than 50% marks|
M.Sc. MicrobiologyM.Sc. Biophysics
|1. A candidate must have a B.Sc. Degree in Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Chemistry or Physics with not less than 50% Marks in Part III of the respective subjects.|
|M.Sc. Computer Science||1. A candidate must have a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science/ Computer Application/B.Sc. IT/B.Tech Computer Science/BCA or any other B.Sc. Degree with Computer Science as one of the Main Subjects with not less than 50% marks in optional subjects (Main & Subsidiaries.)|
|M.Sc. Environment Science and Management||1. A candidate must have a B.Sc. Degree in any of the Optional subjects (Botany/ Zoology/Chemistry/ Physics/ Geology/ Geography/Life Science/ Environment Science/ Environment Management/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Biochemistry/ Plant or Animal Science/ Agriculture/ Fisheries/ Aquaculture/ Horticulture/ Forestry/ B.Tech. in Civil, Mechanical, Chemical, Environmental or equivalent examination with not less than 50% marks in Part III.|
|M.Sc. Environment Science and Disaster Management||1. A candidate must have a B.Sc. Degree in any subject with not less than 50% marks in Part III.|
M.A. Gandhian StudiesM.A. Development Studies
|1. A candidate must have a Bachelors Degree in any subject with a minimum of 45% marks.|
|L.L.M.||1. A candidate must be an L.L.B. with not less than 50% marks (or CGPA of 2) in the aggregate.|
M.A. Politics & International Relations
M.A. Politics and Human RightsM.A. Politics (Public Policy & Governance) (UGC Sponsored Programme)
|1. A candidate must be a Graduate in Economics/ Politics/ History/ Law with not less than 45% marks for Part III Or Bachelor’s Degree in English/ Sociology/Anthropology/ Psychology/ Geography/ Philosophy/Commerce with not less than 50% marks or Graduates in Science with not less than 60% marks for Part III.|
M.Sc. Chemistry (Inorganic Chemistry)
M.Sc. Chemistry (Organic Chemistry)M.Sc. Chemistry (Physical Chemistry) M.Sc. Chemistry (Polymer Science)
|A graduate with a B.Sc. Degree in Chemistry with a minimum of 50% marks in Part III (Mathematics and Physics as subsidiaries|
|M.A. Malayalam||1. Candidate should be a Graduate in the subject concerned with a minimum of 45% marks in Part III or Graduate in Arts/Science with a minimum of 50% marks in Part II Malayalam.|
|M.A. English||1. Candidate should be Graduate in the subject concerned with a minimum of 45% marks in Part III or Graduate in Arts/Science with a minimum of 50% marks in Part I English.|
|M.Sc. Physics with Specialization from Astrophysics, Theoretical Physics, Material Science, Applied Electronics||1. A candidate should be a B.Sc. Degree in Physics with Mathematics as subsidiary with not less than 50% marks in Part III.|
|M.A. History M.A. Anthropology||A candidate should be a Graduate under the faculty of Social Sciences with not less than 45% marks for Part III.|
|Master of Tourism Management with specialization in Aviation Management, Tour Operations and Health Tourism||A candidate should have a Bachelor Degree (10+2+3) with minimum 50% marks in any discipline of this University or any other University recognized by Mahatma Gandhi University|
|M.Ed. in Language Education (English, Malayalam, Hindi, Arabic, and Sanskrit), M.Ed. in Mathematics Education, M.Ed. in Science Education, M.Ed. in Social Science Education M.Ed. in Commerce Education M.Ed. in IT Education||A candidate must have a B.Ed. degree in concerned specialization with 55% or CGPA of 2.2|
|M.A. Economics||1. A candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Economics/ Mathematics/ Statistics under 10+2+3 pattern of education with at least 45% marks (or CGPA of 1.8) in core and Complementary subjects or equivalent degree from an institution approved by Mahatma Gandhi University.|
Seat Reservation for MGU CAT 2017
There are three types of reservation applicable in the MGU CAT examination. These three types of reservation are:
- Reservation for Persons with Disabilities
- Special Reservation
- Mandatory Reservation
Reservation for Persons with Disabilities
Candidates in the following three categories will be treated as Physically Handicapped category
- Orthopedically challenged
Candidates with 40% or more of any disability as certified by a Medical board constituted for this purpose will be considered for reservation in this category. For such candidates there is a 3% seat reservation for all the programs.
Candidates falling under the following categories will be considered under the special reservation category
|Categories||Reservation of Seat|
|Economically Backward among forward communities (EBFC)||7.5% for Professional courses, 6.5% for non-professional courses|
|Teacher quota (for M.Ed. only)||One seat|
|Foreign Students quota||10% of seats or 2 seats, whichever is higher|
The percentage of seats under mandatory reservation is given below
|Mandatory Reservation Categories||Non-Professional Courses||Professional Courses|
|Ezhava, Thiyya, & Billava||8||8|
|Latin Catholics other than Anglo Indians||1||1|
|Other Backward Christians||1||1|
|Other Backward Hindus||3||3|
MGU CAT 2017 Application Process
The application process for MGU CAT 2017 will start in the month of March. The process will be online and will consist of a registration and payment process. A candidate can register for a maximum of 4 programs through one application form, subject to their fulfilling the eligibility criteria. Any candidate submitting more than one application form will be disqualified from the exam.
Candidates can apply online using any computer. In case a candidate does not have their own computer, they can fill their form online using the internet facility at facilitation centers in all the affiliated colleges under the jurisdiction of the University, University’s information center, and Akshaya Centers in the state.
For applying to the exam, a candidate must follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website for MGU CAT: cat.mgu.ac.in.
- Click on the Apply Online tab on the top of the home page.
- Create your candidate’s account by providing your personal details and create a password. The password can be a combination of alphabets, numbers, and special characters.
- After the account is created, the candidate will get his/her application number. This application number will also serve as the login id for future uses.
- Fill in the required details correctly. The details required will be Personal information such as name, date of birth, gender etc., Communication address, Phone number, Email id, Educational Qualification details such as qualifying exam passed, marks obtained etc.
- Upload a scanned copy of your recent passport size photograph.
- Pay the application fee. The application fee for General candidates is 500 INR per program and for SC/ST candidates is 250 INR per program.
- The Fee should be paid online through credit/debit/cash cards. Fee paid through any other medium will not be accepted.
- After paying the application fee online, click on the Final Submit button.
- Candidates applying to M.Ed. program are required to send in a hard copy of their application form along with self-attested copy of degree certificates, marks sheet of qualifying examination, and proof of weightage points to the following address:
School of Pedagogical Sciences
Mahatma Gandhi University
MGU CAT 2017 Admit Card
The admit card for MGU CAT 2017 will be available for download online from May 16, 2017. The MGU CAT Admit Card can be downloaded by following the process given below:
- Visit the MGU CAT official website: cat.mgu.ac.in
- Click on the Login tab at the top right corner of the homepage.
- Enter your application number and password which you created at the time of applying for the exam.
- Click on the Download Admit Card link.
- Save and take a printout of the application and check if the details mentioned are correct.
- In case of any discrepancy on your admit card, you must contact the Director’s office at Mahatma Gandhi University.
MGU CAT 2017 Exam Center
MGU CAT 2017 will be conducted at exam centers in the following cities:
A candidate can opt for a maximum of three center choices during the filling of application form. However, the final allocation of exam center will be solely at the discretion of Mahatma Gandhi University.
MGU CAT 2017 Exam Pattern
The Common Admission Test for MGU is of 90 minutes duration for all the programs. The test is generally of objective type except for the following programs:
- MA Malayalam
- MA English
- Master of Tourism Management
For the above mentioned programs, the test paper will consist of both objective type questions and descriptive type questions. The test pattern and corresponding syllabus for each program is given below:
|Course Name||Exam Pattern|
|M.Sc. Disability Studies and Rehabilitation Sciences M.Sc. Psychology||The entrance test syllabus will cover topics from the syllabus of undergraduate degree in Disability studies and psychology.|
|Test paper will have questions from Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, and Physics of undergraduate level at MGU.|
|M.Sc. Computer Science||The test paper will have two sections. Section I will have questions from computer science. Section II will have questions to assess numerical and logical aptitude.|
|The test paper will contain questions from basic sciences at undergraduate level, general aptitude, and general awareness on environmental sciences.|
|The test paper will have questions from Gandhian Studies/Developmental Practices.|
|L.L.M.||The test will have questions from the following topics:
|Entrance test paper will have questions from topics on current affairs.|
|Test Paper will have questions from the B.Sc. Chemistry syllabus of Mahatma Gandhi University.|
|The test paper will constitute of descriptive, short answer type question, and objective questions. The paper will assess the aptitude for theatrical and literary studies.|
|M.Sc. Physics with Specialization from Astrophysics, Theoretical Physics, Material Science, Applied Electronics||Test paper will have questions from the B.Sc. Physics (Main) and Mathematics (Subsidiary) syllabus of MGU.|
|The test paper will have questions which will assess a candidate’s knowledge in their own discipline as well as their interdisciplinary aptitude.|
|Master of Tourism Management with specialization in Aviation Management, Tour Operations and Health Tourism||The test will constitute of objective type questions for 80 marks. The test paper will have the following sections:
|The test paper will have questions from the general B.Ed. syllabus of MGU.|
|M.A. Economics||The entrance test will have questions from the BA Economics syllabus of MGU.|
MGU CAT 2017 Result
Mahatma Gandhi University will declare the CAT 2017 result, tentatively on June 08, 2017. The university will also publish rank list along with the results. A candidate can check their MGU CAT Result on official website, by entering their application number and password created at the time of application.
Preparation of Rank List
The rank list for MGU CAT 2017 will be prepared based on the indexed marks. The marks will be indexed according to the following criteria:
- The marks scored in the entrance examination for the respective subject, converted to 1000, and
- The bonus marks or the weightage marks.
The rank list for M.Ed. will be prepared on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance examination and the marks obtained in the qualifying examination in the ratio of 50:50.
The bonus marks, at the time of indexing of marks, will be awarded according to the following guidelines:
- A bonus of 5 marks will be awarded to NCC candidates provided the candidate possess an NCC certificate signed by the Director and issued by the Directorate with 75% attendance. An additional bonus mark of 3 points will be awarded to A certificate holders and 5 points to B and C certificate holders.
- A bonus of 5 marks will be awarded to NSS candidates provided the candidate possess an NSS certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor or Pro Vice-Chancellor and issued to such candidates who have completed 240 hours’ work in a span of two years.
- A bonus of 15 marks will be awarded to ex-servicemen, widows and children of Jawans and ex-servicemen.
- For candidates applying to M.Ed. courses, a bonus of 15 marks will be given to candidates with a first class PG degree, 10 marks will be given to candidates with a second class PG degree, and 5 marks will be given to candidates with a third class PG degree. Bonus marks will be given only if the candidate has completed B.Ed. and PG in the same optional subject.
- 5 marks will be deducted from the overall indexed marks of candidates for each additional appearance taken for completing the qualifying examination.
- Wherever letter grades are given for qualifying examination, the candidate will be required to submit corresponding grade points and relevant documents concerning grade conversion at the time of counselling and admission.
Resolving of Tie
In case of a tie between two candidates who have scored similar index marks, the tie will be resolved according to the following points:
- The candidate with more marks in the entrance exam will be given priority.
- The candidate older in age will be given priority in case two candidates secure the same marks in entrance test too.
MGU CAT 2017 Counselling
The counselling for MGU CAT 2017 will be conducted, tentatively, from June 15 to June 17, 2017. MGU will display the rank list of qualified candidates and such candidates will be invited for counselling on the scheduled date. Candidates who fail to appear for counselling on the designated dates will be treated as not joined and no request will be entertained from such candidates further.
Candidates who appear for counselling must produce the following documents at the time of counselling:
- Certificate to prove Date of birth
- Transfer certificate from the institute last attended and Conduct certificate
- Marks list of Qualifying Examination and Provisional or Degree Certificate
- Equivalency certificate for the qualifying examination
- Migration certificate if applicable
- Caste certificate, Income certificate, BPL certificate, if applicable
- Any other document required to be produced
Seat Allotment Protocol
All the candidates in the rank list will be eligible for seat allotment under the open merit category. The seats under mandatory reservation categories will be filled only after all the State Merit seats are filled. Candidates falling under the reservation category and getting seat in the open merit category in a school where a specified number of seats are kept for the reserved categories will be treated as in the open merit category and not as reserved category.
Course-wise Seat Matrix
The table below provides the seat intake for various PG courses offered at MGU.
|Name of Course||No. of seats available|
|M.Sc. Disability Studies and Rehabilitation Sciences||12|
|M.Sc. Biochemistry M.Sc. Biotechnology M.Sc. Microbiology||10 in each course|
|M.Sc. Computer Science||25|
|M.Sc. Environment Science and Management||10|
|M.Sc. Environment Science and Disaster Management||10|
|M.A. Gandhian Studies||12|
|M.A. Development Studies||12|
|M.A. Politics & International Relations||15|
|M.A. Politics and Human Rights||5|
|M.A. Politics (Public Policy & Governance) (UGC Sponsored Programme)||5|
|8 in each course|
|M.Sc. Physics with Specialization from Astrophysics, Theoretical Physics, Material Science, Applied Electronics||20|
|Master of Tourism Management with specialization in Aviation Management, Tour Operations and Health Tourism||20|