KVPY Admit Card, Syllabus, Pattern
KVPY 2017 is a national level scholarship exam scheduled in offline mode on Novemeber 05, 2017. The courses included in basic sciences are B.Sc., B.S, B.Stat, B.Math, Integrated M.Sc. and M.S in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
KVPY 2017 application process is closed now. The last date of form submission was August 23. Candidates can download KVPY admit card from second week of October.
The exam has two sections Part I and Part II with a total weightage of 100 marks to be solved in 3 hours. The question paper will be in both English and Hindi. Check below the synopsis of the KVPY Exam Pattern:
- For SA Stream (Class 11 science stream)- There are 15 questions from each subject in Part 1 and 5 questions each in Part 2. KVPY syllabus includes topics from Class X and XI CBSE Syllabus.
- For SX/SB Stream (Class 12 science stream)- There are 20 questions of each subject in Part 1 and 10 questions of each in Part 2. In SX stream, topics from Class X, XI and XII of CBSE Syllabus are asked while topics from 1st year UG course along with Clas X-XII syllabus is asked in SX stream.
- In SB and SX stream, candidates have to attempt any 3 sections in Part 1 and any 2 sections in Part 2: Prepare from KVPY Mock Tests
1 mark (Part 1), 2 mark (Part 2)
Each Correct Answer will be awarded 4 marks
-1/4 mark (Part 1), ½ mark (Part 2)
1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer.
KVPY 2017 is pen paper based test
Questions will be of objective type
60 (Part 1), 20 (Part 2)
There are 80 questions in KVPY
Revision of basic topics from the NCERT books thoroughly is the major key to crack KVPY 2017. Given below is the KVPY SA Review of last year:
- SA Stream KVPY Exam was moderate, tricky and time-consuming. Mathematics and Physics section was easy while Chemistry was moderate.
- Important Topics in Physics- Physics section had around 14 questions which were found to be easy and direct. This section had most questions from Optics and Mechanics.
- Important Topics in Chemistry- Most of the questions from this section were moderate (14 questions). Dominating topics in this stream were Mole concept, Physical Chemistry (Class XI) and Organic Chemistry (Class XII)
- Important Topics in Mathematics- Mathematics section holds 25% weightage of the exam and had 13 easy questions. The most important topics in this section were Coordinate Geometry and Straight Line.
SB/SX stream KVPY exam has a similar pattern and preparation strategy. Given below is last year KVPY SB/SX Review
- SB Stream KVPY Exam was easy to moderate. Mathematics was found to be the most difficult section in the exam. Physics and Chemistry were easy while Biology was moderate.
- Important topics in Physics- Physics section had 21 easy questions out of the 40. Electrodynamics, Optics and Mechanics were the most important topics in the exam.
- Important Topics in Chemistry- Chemistry section was found to be the easiest of all the sections in the exam. There were around 18 easy questions. Most of the questions were from Inorganic Chemistry (Class XII), Organic Chemistry (Class XII) and Physical Chemistry (Class XI)
- Important Topics in Mathematics- Maths was the trickiest section in the exam as claimed by the students. It had 19 difficult questions. Dominating topics in this section were Calculus (Differential and Integral), Definite Integration and Binomial Theorem
- Important Topics in Biology- Biology section was moderate in the exam with 32 questions of moderate difficulty level. Molecular Genetics and Biomolecules were the most important topics in the exam.
KVPY Exam Highlights
IISc, Bangalore invites applications for the KVPY Scholarship Exam in Basic Science programmes. There were large number of applicants who appeared for the exam last year but only few qualified the interview. Here are important highlights about the exam.
|Exam||KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana)|
|Conducting Authority||IISc, Bangalore (Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore)|
|Streams||SA, SB and SX|
|Aptitude Test Centers||28 Cities across 18 states|
|Interview Centers||17 locations across 12 states|
|Exam Date||November 05, 2017|
|Mode||Offline (Pen and Paper based Test)|
|Number of Qualified candidates||SA- 75|
DOWNLOAD FREE KVPY PREVIOUS QUESTION PAPERS PDF
KVPY 2017 Exam Dates
The initial notification as well as the KVPY Application Form is released on the official website of KVPY. The KVPY Application Form can be filled from July 16, 2017 onwards. The last date to submit the the online applications for KVPY 2017 is August 23, 2017.
Candidates must keep themselves updated by checking the KVPY Exam Dates given in the table below:
|Initial Notification for KVPY 2017 will be released in||July 16, 2017|
|KVPY Application Form will be available from||July 16, 2017|
|Last Date to submit the KVPY Application Form||August 23, 2017|
|Last date to submit Application fee||August 23, 2017|
|KVPY Admit Card will be available from||Mid of October, 2017|
|KVPY Exam is scheduled in||November 05, 2017|
|KVPY Result will be declared on||Third Week of December, 2017|
|KVPY Interview will be scheduled in||Mid of January, 2018 to Mid of February 2018|
KVPY 2017 Eligibility
- Only Indian Nationals can seek the fellowships through KVPY to study or pursue an undergraduate programme in Basic Sciences (not applicable for Distance Education Scheme or Correspondence courses from any university).
- Candidates who apply after class XI are eligible to apply for SA Stream however if the candidates apply after XII, they can apply for SX Stream. The candidates are eligible for SB Stream if they apply for KVPY while pursuing undergraduate programme in basic sciences provided the candidate must be in the 1st year of the programme.
- The minimum marks required for SA Stream must have scored 80% marks (70% for reserved categories) in class X and 60% (50% for SC/ST) in class XII.
- For SX Stream, candidates must have scored 80% marks (70% marks for SC/ST) in class X and 60% aggregate (50% for reserved categories) in class XII.
- For SB Stream, candidates must have secured 60% aggregate marks (50% marks for SC/ST) in Science Subjects in class XII. They must also secure 60% marks (50% marks for SC/ST) in the final examination of 1st year of the education programme.
Read DetailedKVPY 2017 Eligibility
How to Fill KVPY 2017 Application Form
Candidates have to undergo an online KVPY Application Process post fulfillment of the Eligibility of KVPY. Candidates can avail the KVPY Application Form from July 09, 2017 onwards at kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
Candidates have to initially register as a new user on the official website with correct information. Note that this information is non-editable. The steps to fill the KVPY Application form are explained below:
Registration and Form Filling
- Visit the official and register as a new user by mentioning Name, date of birth, stream, nationality etc.
- Enter the captcha and click on submit to receive the User ID and Password to the registered E-mail ID or mobile number.
- Login using the user ID and password received and fill the personal details such as father’s name, mother’s name etc. correctly.
- Enter the lastest academic qualification as per the stream chosen in the academic details tab.
Uploading Images and Center Preference
- Mention three different choices of KVPY 2017 Exam center in the order of preference in the space provided.
- Click on the space or link to upload the photograph, signature and caste certificate (if applicable). Browse the image from its location and click on Open or Upload.
Note: Photograph and Signature must be in JPEG format and maximum size of the image must be 80 Kb. Caste Certificate must be in PDF format with maximum size 300 Kb.
Preview, Editing and Submission
- Click on Preview Application Application and verify the information in the application form.
- Edit the incorrect information provided that the information entered during the registration cannot be edited.
- Click on submit after making the necessary changes.
- Candidates belonging to General and OBC category have to remit a fee of INR 1000 while SC/ST category candidates have to pay INR 500.
- It can be paid through either online or offline mode.
- In case of online mode (credit card/debit card/net banking), enter card number/account number, the validity of the card, CVV or special PIN.
- In case of offline payment, download the e-challan and deposit the fee in cash at nearest SBI branch. Upload the challan after payment and click on submit.
How to download KVPY 2017 Admit Card
Candidates will receive the KVPY Admit Card two or three weeks before the conduction of the KVPY Exam.
- KVPY Admit Card is available on the official website of KVPY.
- Candidates are required to report the discrepancies found in the KVPY Admit Card to the Facilitation Center of KVPY.
The steps to download the KVPY Admit Card are mentioned below:
Read How to Download KVPY Admit Card
KVPY 2017 Exam Centers
- Candidates are required to mention their choice of KVPY Test centers for the Aptitude Test in the KVPY Application Form.
- The allocating authority of the KVPY Exam Center is IISc.
- Candidates have to mention three choices of the KVPY Test centers in the order of preference, however, they are allocated the first preference but they can be allotted second and third preference in case of any issues.
- Candidates have to choose among 54 test cities as per their convenience.
KVPY 2017 Exam Pattern
Candidates have to understand the KVPY Exam Pattern to prepare for the KVPY Exam.
- The exam is scheduled in offline mode.
- The medium of the examination is English and Hindi both.
- The Aptitude Test for KVPY is divided into two sections namely Part I and Part II with four sub sections in each section.
- Time duration for KVPY Exam is 3 hours in which the candidates have to attempt any 3 sections of Part I and any two sections of Part II.
- KVPY Question Paper is of 100 marks. Part I for SA or SB/SX stream is marked as 1 mark for correct answers and 0.25 mark is deducted for every incorrect answer. 2 marks is awarded for each correct answer in Part II while 0.5 mark is deducted for each incorrect answer.
For SA Stream
- Both Part I and Part II comprises of 4 sections namely Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- The part one contains 15 questions in each section and Part II contains 5 questions in each section.
For SB/SX Stream
- Both Part I and Part II comprises of 4 sections namely Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- Part 1 contains 20 questions in each section and Part II comprises 10 questions in each section.
How to Prepare for KVPY 2017
Candidates have to prepare according to the KVPY Syllabus and topics given in it. Cracking the KVPY Exam and seeking the KVPY Scholarship isn’t everyone’s piece of cake. Candidates are required to practice well for the KVPY Exam from the KVPY Sample Papers. The list of important books for the preparation of the KVPY Exam is given below:
How to Check KVPY 2017 Result
KVPY Result for Aptitude Test will be declared on the official website of KVPY in the third week of December 2017.
- Candidates can predict their KVPY Result through the official KVPY Answer Key released on the official website one week after the exam has been conducted.
- Post declaration of KVPY Result for Aptitude Test, the candidates are called for KVPY Interview.
- KVPY Result for Interview will be declared in the month of March 2018.
KVPY Cut off
Candidates have to score the minimum marks as per the KVPY Cut off generated after the declaration of KVPY Result. Candidates are selected on the basis of candidate’s performance in both Aptitude Test and Interview. KVPY Scholarship is offered to candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks set by the IISc in the KVPY Cutoff.
The previous year KVPY Cut off is tabulated in the table below:
Read About KVPY Cutoff
KVPY 2017 Selection Process
KVPY Selection Process is a two stage process- Aptitude Test and Interview. KVPY Merit List is prepared by considering the scores obtained by the candidate in the Aptitude test for KVPY and Interview conducted after KVPY Exam has been conducted. The evaluation is based on 75% marks of Aptitude test and 25% of performance in interview. The details about the Aptitude Test and Interview is given below:
- The aptitude test is conducted online or offline depending upon the choice of the candidate.
- Candidates are evaluated on the reasoning and candidate’s analytical abilities.
- KVPY Exam comprises of two major sections and there are four sub sections for each section.
- Candidates are required to obtain a total of 75% marks out of the total weightage.
- Candidates must carefully attempt the questions as attempting all the questions is compulsory.
- Candidates are required to attempt any three sections in Part I and any two sections of Part II for SB/SX stream only.
- Candidates are called for the interview after declaration of KVPY Result for Aptitude test.
- The shortlisted candidates are allocated a venue of the interview as per the KVPY Test Center allocated to them.
- Interview is primarily conducted to gather additional information on each finalist applicant with regard to his/her knowledge, abilities and aptitude etc. in the field of science and research.
- Candidates must prepare few introductory questions as they can be asked to introduce themselves by the jury.
- There is a round of questions based on current affairs and subjects studied by the candidates namely physics, chemistry, mathematics or biology.
The candidates can avail a scholarship to enroll for the Basic Sciences undergraduate programme. The candidates can avail the fellowship monthly for the courses they opt for. The table below mentions the details of the KVPY Scholarship offered to various candidates:
|Basic Sciences||Monthly Fellowship||Annual Contingency Grant|
|SA/SX/SB- during 1st to 3rd years of- B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||INR 5000||INR 20000|
|SA/SX/SB- during M.Sc./4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc./M.S||INR 7000||INR 28000|