JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria is defined by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) each year. As a basic condition, a candidate who is appearing/ has cleared class XII is eligible to apply for JEE Mains. CBSE formulated several changes in the Eligibility Criteria for JEE Mains last year. The same will follow for JEE Main 2018.
- Those who are applying for B.E./B. Tech (Paper 1) must have Physics and Mathematics along with one of these subjects Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology.
- Candidates who have applied for B.Arch. /B. Planning (Paper 2) must have studied Mathematics. They should also score a minimum of 50% marks in total including the five subjects.
- Candidates appearing for class 12 examination in 2018 can also apply.
- A total of 3 attempts will be provided to clear JEE Main.
- Candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1993 (5 years relaxation for SC/ST/PwD. i.e 1988).
- Reservation rules do apply in various institutes. For candidates from OBC Category, 7.5% seats will be reserved. For SC/ST/PwD, 27/15/3% seats will be reserved respectively. Read JEE Main Reservation
What is new in JEE Main Eligibility?
- Possession of Aadhaar Card- Candidates from India are required to have Aadhaar Card in order to give the entrance exam. Similarly, Foreign Applicants must hold a valid Passport.
- Provision for Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Assam Applicants- For those sitting for the exam from these states must provide the required details – Passport Number, Ration Card, Bank Account Number or any other Govt. Id Number while filling JEE Main 2018 Application Form. Also, they have to choose cities in these States as examination Centers.
- No weightage given to Class 12th marks- As per CBSE’s directive, class XII marks will not be considered while calculating All India Rank of JEE Main 2018.
- Admissions in IITs/ NITs/ IIITs and other CFTIs- A candidate must have secured at least 75% marks in class 12th, or be in the top 20 percentile in class 12th class exam conducted by the respective board, to qualify for admissions. For SC/ST candidates, the qualifying marks are 65% marks.
Candidates can register themselves between December 1, 2017- January 2, 2018, for JEE Main 2018. All candidates who register successfully will appear for the exam in April 2018.
Aadhaar Card Mandatory for JEE Main 2018
- For the academic session of 2018-19, possession of Aadhar Card will be mandatory for all the applicants.
- All the Indian Citizens candidates should possess Aadhaar Card issued by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India).
- While filling the online JEE Main Application Form, they are required to enter the following details on the document:
- Aadhaar Card Number
- Candidate’s Name
- Date of Birth
- For the candidates who are yet to enroll for Aadhaar, must quickly send an application for Aadhaar enrolment. Such applicant may visit any Aadhaar enrollment facilitation centres set up in JEE Main exam cities.
Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centres - CBSE has created various centers for the candidates who are not having Aadhaar. These facilitation centers are in each city where the JEE Main examination will be held. These centers provide free of cost service i.e. no price has to be paid for Aadhaar enrolment. For the ones who have enrolled for Aadhaar and are yet to receive their Aadhaar should enter 28 digits Aadhaar Enrolment ID printed on the Aadhaar enrolment slip at the time of filling online application form for JEE Main 2018.
Note: The details on Aadhaar Card should match with the ones mentioned on their school records. In case of any discrepancy, candidates should immediately get it rectified.
JEE Main Eligibility 2018: Age Limit & Qualifying Exam
- Candidates from General and OBC Category should be born on or after October 01, 1993 to apply.
- Candidates from SC/ST/PwD category have a relaxation of 5 years. They should be born on or before October 01, 1988.
Note: The DOB (Date Of Birth) on the Secondary Education Board Certificate will be considered as the original date of birth.
- Candidates should have graduated class XII with minimum 45% marks.
- Also, the ones who are appearing in class XII or qualifying exam in 2018 are also eligible to apply.
- The 10+2 examination should be done from any recognized central/state Board like CBSE, ICSE, NCERT etc.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with minimum five subjects are accepted.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy is also accepted.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/ University is also accepted.
- Candidates must have passed 5 subjects in Class 12.Students who have with four subjects are not applicable
Qualifying Exam for IITs
- For admission to IITs, a candidate should have qualified from H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A diploma recognized by AICTE or a state board of technical education of at least 3-year duration.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- GCE (General Certificate Education) examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) at the Advanced level.
Course-Wise Eligibility Criteria for JEE Mains
JEE Main offers admissions into various programmes and each of the programme offered has its own criteria. Candidates need to satisfy the same in order to fill JEE Main 2018 Application Form.
- For Paper 1 (Engineering programme- B.E/B.Tech): Candidate should have Physics and Mathematics as their main subjects along with any of the subjects- Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology/Technical Vocationalsubject in class 12 with at least 45% marks in each subject.
- For Paper 2 (Architecture Programme- B.Arch/ B. Planning): Candidate should have studied Mathematics as compulsory subjects and attaining 50% marks in total aggregate of all the subjects.
Ques.What is JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for Droppers?
Ans. The droppers must read the below points to apply for JEE Main:
- There is no weightage given to class XII marks for Mains.
- However, for candidates to qualify for admission in the IITs/NITs/IIITs/CFTIs, they must score at least 75% marks in class XII.
Ques.What is the eligibility criteria for Diploma Students in JEE Main 2018?
Ans: Candidate with a Diploma can apply to appear in JEE Advanced. However, his JEE Main Score and Rank will not be considered for the admission in NITs and CFTIs through JEE Main.
Ques.What are HSC Vocational Courses?
Ans. Students from different states will have to verify their HSC Vocational courses from their particular state as different states have different HSC vocational courses.
JEE Main Eligibility 2018: Number of Attempts
- A candidate can appear for up to 3 times for JEE Main.
- There is no relaxation for SC/ST category students i.e. they are also offered only 3 attempts.
Number of Attempts and Age Limit for the States of Madhya Pradesh and Odisha
- As the states of Madhya Pradesh and Odisha are new in the league of JEE Main and have joined in 2015.
- The number of attempts and age limit will remain same as per the past practice for taking admissions in colleges in these states.
- However, this is not applicable to IITs, NITs, IIITS and CFITs.
- For taking admissions in these institutions, one has to fulfill the basic eligibility i.e. for general category, their DOB should be on or afterOctober 1, 1993, and for SC/ST category, there is a relaxation of 5 years.
JEE Main Eligibility 2018: Category-wise Provision
CBSE has made provisions for the candidates from J&K, Meghalaya, and Assam. This new change has raised a lot of hopes for the candidates belonging from these states. Also, for the candidates from Person with Disability (PwD) category will be offered various facility in order to make their whole exam process easy.
For Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya and Assam Applicants
Candidates appearing or graduating class 12 from the states of J&K, Assam & Meghalaya have to enter any of the following number in the application form:
- Passport number,
- Ration card number,
- Bank account number or any other valid Government identity number.
This is applicable only for those candidates who will appear for the exam from these states only.
Provision For PwD Candidates
- Candidates with physical disability of 40% or more will be provided a Scribe/Reader on his request.
- Candidate can choose his own scribe/reader and submit the request to Center Superintendent for the same.
- A candidate will be allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination to verify his scribe suitability.
- Candidates with 40% or more disability will have one-hour extra time. No matter he has availed the facility of scribe/reader or not.
READ MORE ABOUT JEE Main Reservation
JEE Main 2018: State Code of Eligibility
The JEE Main State Code of Eligibility is defined as the state from which the candidate has passed his qualifying examination, so that he could be eligible for the JEE Main. In case,
- The candidate has passed the examination in one state but he has applied for the improvement in other state. Then the state which will be considered is from where the candidate has passed the examination not from where he had applied for improvement.
- The candidate who is Indian National and passed his qualifying exam from abroad then the eligibility will be finalized by the permanent address where he resides from.
- Candidate passed/appearing class 12th from NIOS then the state code of eligibility is defined by the state in which center of study located.
- Candidates graduating from Nepal/Bhutan then the state of eligibility is defined by the given below table.
JEE Advanced 2018 Eligibility
JEE Advanced is a national level test conducted for B.E/B.Tech admissions into 23 IITs. Only the top 2,20000 rank holders in JEE Main are eligible to take the exam. JEE Advanced 2018 is scheduled in May 2018. To apply for JEE Advanced, you must fulfill the below conditions:
- Performance in JEE Mains- A candidate should be among the top 2,20,000 (all categories included) in JEE Main 2018.
- Performance in class XII- A candidate should have appeared in Class 12 or equivalent examination for the first time in either 2016 or 2017 in all the subjects. He must score minimum 75% marks (for Gen/OBC) & 65% marks (SC/ST/PwD) in 12th or equivalent class.
- Age limit for IIT JEE exam-The candidate should be born on or after October 1, 1993. For SC/ ST candidates, there is a relaxation of 5 years. Those who appeared for the first time in their Class 12th or equivalent examination in 2016 or earlier are not eligible.
- Number of attempts- A candidate can sit for at most 2 attempts and that too only for 2 consecutive years.
- Earlier admission at IIT’s- The candidate should NOT have taken admission (irrespective of whether he/she continued in the program) OR even accepted admission by paying an admission fee at any of the IITs or ISM in the past. Even candidates whose admission was canceled are not eligible.