IIT JAM 2018
IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc) is organized by any one of the IITs every year for admission to IITs and IISc. Through this exam, students can get admission in M.Sc (Four Semesters), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-M.Tech., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree & other courses. There are approximately 1700 seats every year, for candidates to get admitted in 15 participating institutes of IIT JAM.
- The exam is scheduled to be held on February 11, 2018.
- IIT JAM 2018 Application Form is available from September 5, 2017, until October 10, 2017.
- The basic eligibility criterion is that candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree with 55% marks.
- Application Fee of INR 1500 must be paid by General category candidates for paper 1.
- INR 2100 must be paid by candidates opting for both papers.
- Admit Card will be available from January 2018 in the online mode.
- A total of 7 papers for different subjects will be present.
- IIT JAM 2018 Result will be announced tentatively on March 20, 2018.
- Candidates will have to register with JOAPS (JAM Online Application Processing System) after the result declaration to apply for the admission process.
- First admission list will be declared in by the last week of May 2018.
Moreover, admission to National Institutes of Technology and CFTIs in M.Sc and M.Tech programs are offered through centralized counselling. In this article, we are providing details about IIT JAM 2018, including application form, eligibility, exam date, exam pattern, etc.
IIT JAM 2018 Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|Purpose||Admission to M.Sc. (Two Years)|
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree
Other Post-Graduate Degree Programs at IITs
Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programs at IISc
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Exam Date||February 11, 2018|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% in Bachelor’s Degree|
|Mode of Application||Online|
IIT JAM 2018 Exam Dates
It is recommended to check IIT JAM 2018 exam dates well before time. They can go through the following table for exam dates:
|IIT JAM 2018 Application Form Release||September 05, 2017|
|Last date to submit form||October 10, 2017|
|Last date for application fee payment||October 10, 2017|
|Admit card||January 10, 2018|
|Exam Date||February 11, 2018|
|Declaration of result||March 20, 2018|
|Submission of admission form||April 12-25, 2018|
|Last date of verification of defective documents||May 08, 2018|
|1st admission list released||May 31, 2018|
|2nd admission list released||June 16, 2018|
|Final admission list released||June 30, 2018|
|Admission process will close on||July 05, 2018|
IIT JAM 2018 Eligibility Criteria
IIT JAM Eligibility must be satisfied by every candidate before applying for the exam. For the admission process, candidates will have to clear JAM 2018 and satisfy separate eligibility for admission to IITs and IISc. The detailed eligibility criteria are mentioned below:
- Candidate must be an Indian national.
- Candidate must have Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university.
- Applicant must have scored 55% of marks (for general/OBC) in qualifying examination Reserved category (SC/ST/PWD) applicants will be relaxed by 10% of marks in aggregate.
- Candidates appearing for their qualifying examination can also apply for JAM 2018.
- Their final examination should be complete by the time of registering to the allotted institute.
- Candidates will have to submit proof of qualifying the minimum required eligibility by September 2018.
IIT JAM 2018 Application Form
IIT JAM 2018 Application Form will be available on the official JAM website from September 05, 2017. Candidates will have to first register on joaps from September 05, 2017 using e-mail ID, mobile number and password.
- Candidates will receive an enrollment ID on their individual emails.
- Personal information, educational qualification, contact details, test paper choice, exam centers and category will have to be filled.
- Candidates will also have to provide photo ID details for admit card verification later.
- Applicants should be ready with scanned photograph and signature in the prescribed format.
- Candidates will also have to upload category certificate and left-hand thumb impression.
- Forms once submitted cannot be changed under any circumstance.
- If one wants to add or change the number of test papers, they can do so by paying an additional fee.
- Category and gender can also be changed by paying an additional fee through demand draft.
The last date to apply is October 10, 2017. Application Fee can be paid through online mode only. Before the final payment, a preview of the application form will be displayed and the details will have to be confirmed. A unique payment ID will be generated after successful payment which has to be saved.
IIT JAM 2018 Application Fee
For one paper, the application fee is INR 1500 for GEN/ OBC category and INR 750 for SC/ ST category. For two papers, the application fee is INR 2100 for GEN/ OBC category and INR 1050 for Female/ SC/ ST/ PWD. If candidates submit the fee through online mode, they can make the payment using their net banking account, debit/ credit cards.
|Number of Papers||Category||Fee|
|One Paper||Female/ SC/ ST/ PWD||INR 750|
|General and OBC||INR 1500|
|Two Paper||Female/ SC/ ST/ PWD||INR 1050|
|General and OBC||INR 2100|
IIT JAM 2018 Admit Card
IIT JAM 2018 Admit Card will be available from January 10, 2018 until the exam day in the online mode. Admit card will not be mailed or sent by post. It will be available at the official JAM website for 2018.
- Candidates can download the admit card by providing enrollment ID/registration number and password.
- IIT JAM 2018 Admit Card will contain the candidature and examination details including name, roll number, exam date and venue of the test centers along with the exam timing and duration.
- Printout of admit card along with a photo ID proof in original and photocopy will have to be brought on the exam day.
- Exam centers will be allotted from the 3 centers chosen during the form filling process.
- Change is exam center will not be entertained under any circumstances.
It is to be noted that candidates will have to report to the conducting authority in case there is any discrepancy on the admit card. Candidature may be cancelled if any information on the admit card is found to be false.
Examination centers can be chosen from eight zones across India. While filling the application form, candidates can choose the first 2 cities from the same zone. The third city will have to be chosen from a different zone.
Exam centers once allotted will not be changed. However, candidates can request for a change providing a valid reason for it. They will have to make a demand draft of INR 500 in favour of IIT JAM Chairman of the conducting authority before October 28, 2017. This payment still does not confirm a change in exam center.
IIT JAM 2018 Exam Pattern
IIT JAM 2018 Exam Pattern will be released by the conducting authority in the information brochure. The exam will have a total of seven papers, which includes Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biological Sciences, Geology, Mathematical Statistics and Physics.
- IIT JAM 2018 will be a computer based test.
- The total exam duration will be 3 hours.
- The question paper will be in English language only.
- There will be total 60 questions asked in the examination which will be divided into three sections.
- All questions will be of objective type of 3 different patterns, Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
|Sections||No. of question||Marking||Type of questions|
|Section – A||30|
10 questions- 1 mark
20 questions- 2 marks
|Multiple choice questions|
|Section – B||10|
10 questions- 2 marks
(can have more than 1 correct choice)
|Multiple select questions|
|Section – C||20|
10 questions- 1 mark
10 questions- 2 marks
|Numerical answer type|
Answers are negatively marked in section A only. For every wrong answer of 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted and for every wrong answer of 2 marks, 2/3 will be deducted.
IIT JAM 2018 Syllabus
IIT JAM 2018 Syllabus for all the test papers for various subjects such as Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics and Physics. Before preparing for exams, candidates should have the complete knowledge about the officially prescribed syllabus.
IIT JAM Syllabus for the seven papers can be broadly specified as follows:
- Biological Sciences (BL): General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Mathematical Sciences.
- Biotechnology (BT): The Biotechnology test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. The syllabus will be of graduation level.
- Chemistry (CY): Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry.
- Geology (GG): The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology.
- Mathematics (MA): Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of Two Real Variables, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis,
- Mathematical Statistics (MS): The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics and Statistics. Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses.
- Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics, Simple Oscillators.
IIT JAM 2018 Result
IIT JAM Result 2018 will be released on March 20, 2018. The result will be provided to students via online mode on the official website. Students can check IIT JAM 2018 Result by entering required details.
- No score card will be sent to candidates through offline mode.
- All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned as per the marks obtained in the examination.
- On the basis of performance in IIT JAM 2018, for each test paper, separate merit list will be prepared for GEN/ OBC/ SC/ ST/ PWD candidates.
- Merit list will be based on the number of seats available in each subject and AIR of every candidate.
- Qualified candidates can download their scorecard from April 07, 2018 to July 31, 2018.
- The scorecard will contain AIR and marks obtained in the particular subject.
IIT JAM 2018 Admission Procedure
Candidates who have their names appear in the merit list are eligible to apply for IIT JAM 2018 Admission Procedure. Students have to apply for admission procedure by filling an application form available at IIT JAM 2018 official website.null
- Admission window will be available from April 12 to April 25, 2018.
- Candidates will first have to satisfy ER (Eligibility Requirement) and MEQ (Minimum Educational Qualification) of any program/ programs.
- After logging in to JOAPS website, candidates have to fill their preferences, education details, marks obtained, etc. Seats will be allotted to students as per the preferences filled, rank and availability of seats
- A non-refundable fee of INR 600 will have to be made for the admission procedure.
- Based on the merit list, IIT JAM 2018 First Admission List will be released on June 02, 2018.
- Admission offers will be sent to candidates by their respective institutes.
- Acceptance form must be submitted and advance seat booking fee of INR 10000 (General/OBC-NCL candidates) and INR 5000 (SC/ST/PWD) must be paid thereafter.
Second admission list will be published on the website if seats remain vacant. After seat allotment, candidates have to visit the allotted college to complete admission. The fee paid will be adjusted with the institute fee after admission.
IIT JAM 2018 Third and final admission list will be prepared if seats still remain vacant. Qualified candidates who are not allotted a seat in the 1st and 2nd admission round will remain on the waiting list. Any one who does not accept the acceptance offer from the institute will be removed from the admission process.