Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) are among the best institutes in the country for students who want to pursue pure science and research. IISERs will conduct its entrance examination, commonly known as IISER Admissions 2017 for admission in the BS- MS Dual degree programme.
The total duration of the BS- MS dual degree programme is five years. BS- MS dual degree programme is offered at all the seven IISER campuses: Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Tirupti, Berhampur and Thiruvananthapuram.
|IISER Eligibility Criteria||IISER Application Form||IISER Exam Pattern|
For the academic year 2017- 2018, the total number of seats offered for BS- MS dual degree programme at all the seven campuses combined is 1125. It is a national level entrance examination, open to Science students who have passed 10+2 exams. To apply for admission into the BS-MS Dual degree programmes, an aspirant is required to fill the IISER 2017 Application Form online.
There are three channels via which an aspirant may apply for the IISER Admission 2017: Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), qualifying JEE Advanced 2016 or through the IISER 2017 Aptitude Test.
Important Dates for IISER Admissions 2017
A candidate must know all the IISER Admission 2017 Important Dates so that he or she doesn’t miss any deadline. The important dates for IISER Admissions 2017 are highlighted in the table given below:
|Release of First Notification||28 February 2017|
|Release of Second Notification||24 May 2017|
|Beginning of Application Process||25 May 2017 (for all: KVPY, IIT- JEE, State and Central Boards)|
|Closing of Application process||12 June 2017 (KVPY) 20 June 2017 (IIT- JEE) 22 June 2017 (State and Central Boards)|
|IISER Aptitude Test (SCB)||3 July 2017|
|Results of Aptitude Test (SCB)||10 July 2017|
Eligibility Criteria for IISER Admissions 2017
Eligibility criteria is the list of conditions and requirements, set by the examination body and which a candidate must fulfil in order to be allowed to take the examination and secure his/ her admission after all the subsequent stages of the admission process.
Candidates, who do not meet all the requirements of IISER Admission 2017 eligibility, will not be allowed to take the exam and will have their candidature cancelled for subsequent stages of the process. Hence, the candidates must check carefully if they are eligible to take the exam before applying.
The general eligibility criteria applicable to all candidates are as follows:
- Candidates must be appearing in Class XII Board examination in the current year (2017) or have cleared Class XII Board examination in the previous year (2016) only.
- Only Indian nationals and students of PIO or OCI category are eligible subject to the following eligibility criteria.
Candidates can apply for IISER Admission 2017 through three channels:
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Basic Science Stream: Students qualified in SA (2016-17)/ SX (2016-17)/ SB (2016-17). Additional cut off criteria may also be applicable.
- Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) 2016: Candidates who have cleared the JEE Advanced 2017 exam. They also must have scored 60% in Class XII Board Examination.
- State and Central Boards: Candidates who are eligible for INSPIRE scholarship by Department of Science and Technology (DST) on the basis the aggregate score in Class 12th (Foreign Nationals/ NRIs/PIOs/OCIs, who have studied in any of the 30 boards, and are within the top 1 % of the respective boards)
Only those candidates who meet the specified minimum percentage cut off marks in Class 12th are eligible to apply. Candidates who are applying via the State and Central Boards channel are still required to appear and qualify the IISER Aptitude Test 2017.
The candidates, who find themselves eligible according to the above criteria, can apply through all the three channels by submitting the respective IISER Application Forms and paying the application fees separately for each channel.
IISER Admissions 2017 Application Form
Candidates are required to fill the Application Form of IISET Admissions 2017 in online mode only. Candidates must note that the IISER Application form and the online application deadline is different for every channel (KVPY, JEE (Advanced), SCB). If any candidate wishes to apply via more than one channel, he/ she is required to fill up the respective online IISER Application form individually and pay the application fee also individually for each channel.
IISER 2017 application window for KVPY/ JEE will be open from June 1, 2017 to June 27, 2017 and for SCB from June 1, 2017 to July 4, 2017
Step 1- Filling in the IISER 2017 Application Form
Candidates are required to provide the following personal and academic details (common for KVPY/ JEE Advanced/ SCB candidates):
- Full Name (as per Class X Board examination certificate)
- Date of birth (as per Class X Board examination certificate)
- Category (GEN/OBC/SC/ST)
- Whether belonging to PD category.
- Year of passing Class XII
- Name of parent/guardian
- Address for communication
- PIN code
- Phone/ Mobile Number
- Email address
- IISER preferred for counselling (select any one)
- Choice of IISER for admission
The following details are different according to the channel that the candidate wants to apply though. The candidates are required to fill up the required details in the IISER Application Form accordingly:
|Channel for Application||Details required in the Application form|
|KVPY channel||KVPY Seat Number/ Roll No|
|State/ Central Board channel|
After submission of the above details, an Application Number and password will be generated. These will be required for logging in the system every time for completing the IISER Application Form, downloading the Admit Card, accessing the result etc.
The next steps of IISER 2017 Application form are same for all candidates (KVPY, JEE Advanced 2017 and State/Central Board):
Step 2- Fee Payment of IISER Admission 2017:
The candidates are required to pay the IISER Application fee online, according to their category.
- After the online fee submitting process is complete, an SBI payment slip will be generated.
- Take the printout of the SBI payment slip and using this, pay the application fee in cash (plus Rs. 20 as additional service charges) on the following day.
- Write the bank branch code and the date of submission of fee on the slip.
- The barcode on the slip must not be tampered. No staple should be made on the slip.
- There will be a distinct journal number/ SBI Reference Number on the slip after the successful payment of fees.
- Login into your account using the application number and password generated previously.
- Enter this unique journal number/ SBI Reference Number as mentioned on the SBI slip, along with the bank branch code and the date of submission of fee.
- Check the information entered.
- Click ‘Submit’
Step 3- Upload Photograph on IISER 2017 Application Form:
After successful payment of the application fee, applicants are required to upload a photograph according to the following specifications:
- Must be recent, coloured passport size photograph
- Format: jpg
- Size: not be more than 1MB
- The file name should have alphanumeric characters only
Step 4- Submission of the IISER 2017 Online Application form:
- Once the entire process is complete, submit the online IISER 2017 Application Form and take a printout of the same on A4 size paper.
- Signature of the candidate and a parent/ guardian is compulsory on the printout of the IISER 2017 Application Form.
- The barcode printed on the IISER 2017 Application form must not be tampered with.
The printout of the IISER 2017 Application Form and the bank slip of payment of IISER examination fee must be retained safely by the candidate as they are required to be produced at the time of counselling.
Application Fees for IISER Admissions 2017
The IISER Admissions 2017 Application fee is INR 1500/- for General category candidates. The candidates belonging to Scheduled category or Scheduled Tribe have to pay the fee of INR750/-. Candidates must note that the IISER Application fee, once submitted, will not be refundable under any circumstances.
Admit card for IISER Admission 2017
IISER Admission 2017 Admit card is an essential document without which no candidate will be allowed to enter the examination hall/ venue.
The steps to download the IISER Admission 2017 Admit card are as follows:
- Log on the official site for IISER Admission 2017.
- Click on the link for IISER Admit card 2017.
- Provide the Application Number and Date of Birth
- The IISER 2017 Admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download the admit card and take a printout to be carried to the examination centre on the test day.
Documents to be carried on test day for IISER Admission 2017
- Printout of the IISER 2017 Admit Card.
- Valid photo ID.
- Black/ blue ball point pen to mark the answers in the OMR sheets
Instructions for the IISER 2017 test day
Mentioned below are some of the Important Instructions that are to be followed by the candidate on the date of examination:
- Report on time as specified on the IISER Admit Card.
- Mobiles, calculating devices, loose papers, study material etc. are not allowed in the examination hall.
- Sign the two copies of the IISER Admit Card. The invigilator will retain his/ her copy and sign yours which you can keep as proof of taking the test.
- The question paper and OMR sheet are to be returned to the invigilator after the test.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall during the IISER 2017 Test.
- Any candidate who uses unfair means during the test or violates any of the instructions will not be allowed to take the examination and his/ her candidature will stand cancelled.
Exam Centres for IISER Admissions 2017
IISER Admissions 2017 aptitude test will be conducted in the following test centre cities:
IISER 2017 Exam Pattern
Candidates applying for IISER Admissions 2017 by SCB channel are required to take the IISER Aptitude Test 2017. Being aware of the IISER 2016 Test Pattern will enable the candidates to manage their time well and have a well- rounded preparation before the actual test.
The key points regarding the IISER 2017 Test Pattern are tabulated below:
|Format||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Total Duration||180 minutes (3 hours)|
|Total number of questions||60 (15 each from Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics)|
+3 for correct answer
0 for unanswered questions
-1 for incorrect answer
Preparation Tips for IISER 2017 Aptitude Test
Given below are some of the preparation tips for the IISER 2017 Aptitude Test so that candidates can score well in the exam:
- Begin with an analysis of the previous years’ IISER exam papers. Have a clear idea about the distribution of the questions topic wise, for each section.
- IISER Aptitude test is based more on concepts and applications of the concepts rather than numerical.
- Focus more on the NCERT books.
- Practice concept based MCQs preferably from JEE based books.
- NISER entrance exam based papers may also be referred as the pattern and standard is quite similar to the IISER Aptitude test.
- Have a good understand of the exam syllabus.
- Allocate sufficient time for covering all the topics in each subject, according to your strengths and weaknesses.
- Solve sample papers and previous years’ exam papers as it will give you an analysis of your preparation, so that you can modify your study plan accordingly for enhanced results.
- Make short notes for each topic and revise the topics you have studied regularly.
- Speed is not quite important as there are 3 minutes to solve a question.
- Take care of the negative marking.
- The IISER Aptitude exam is usually easier than the JEE and other exams and there is relatively lesser competition. Getting 50 correct answers out of 60 will ensure a good result.
|IISER Eligibility Criteria||IISER Application Form||IISER Syllabus|
IISER 2017 Result
The IISER 2017 result for the aptitude test will be announced on 11 July 2017. The result can be checked online on the official website by entering the roll number or registration ID/ Application number. Following the announcement of the IISER Result, the counselling process will commence.
IISER 2017 Counselling
The seat allotment and counselling is the process which takes place after the candidates have been short listed on the basis of the IISER Aptitude test scores and KVPY/ JEE scores. Only the short listed candidates will be called for counselling and they will be required to attend the counselling in person. The qualified and interested candidates are allotted seats in their choice of the IISER according to merit.
The criterion for the seat allotment for the IISERs is as follows:
KVPY + JEE Advanced: Up to 50% seats in every category (General/SC/ST/OBC Non-creamy layer)
KVPY: Up to 25% seats in every category (General/SC/ST/OBC Non-creamy layer)
IISER Aptitude Test: Remaining seats in every category for candidates who applied through the state and central board channel.
- The dates for counselling may be vary for different streams.
- IISERs will publish the counselling dates soon after the results are announced.
- If you are short listed, log on to your account on the official site (https://www.iiseradmission.in/apply) to download the call letter for IISER Admission 2017.
- At the time of IISER 2017 counselling, candidates will be required to bring their original documents and certificates for verification.
- Candidates must also produce the printout of IISER Application Form and bank at the counselling.
For final confirmation of the seat at the allotted IISER, the candidate must report to the institute as per the schedule with all the necessary documents and semester fees otherwise the seat will be forfeited
IISER 2017 Cut off
The IISER 2017 cut off score is applicable for those candidates who have applied through the SCB channel. Candidates who fail to achieve the minimum IISER cut off scores will not be eligible for admission in any of the IISERs.
It is mandatory for the candidates applying through the SCB channel to take the IISER 2017 Aptitude Test.
The Exemptions to the IISER Admission 2017 Cut off marks is given below:
- The Cut off for SC/ ST category is 55% for all state boards.
- For Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy Layer) and Physically Handicapped categories, there is a 5% relaxation of the DST cut-off, subject to a minimum of 60%.
- Candidates who are passing Class 12th in 2017 and have received the eligibility note from the school board for DST Inspire Fellowship are also eligible to apply. The cut off mentioned in the minimum marks table does not apply to such students.
State wise Class XII Board Cut off percentage for IISER Admissions 2017 is given below:
|Jammu & Kashmir||81.9|