Union Public Services Commission is all set to conduct IES Prelims 2018 on January 7. The syllabus for Engineering Services examination has been similar over the years. Candidates must rigorously practice IES Practice Papers to get an idea of marking scheme and the pattern of IES Exam.
Students who clear IES Cutoff will appear in IES Main 2018 on July 1. Last year, IES Final Cut Off for General category in EE was 769 marks while for ME stream it was 723 marks. Check all IES 2018 Cut Off for Prelims, Mains & Finals
Listed below are important facts about IES Syllabus:
- Syllabus for the engineering examination is of graduation level. Read How to prepare for IES Prelims and Mains?
- For engineering exam, the syllabus is based on subjects studied in the four or five years of engineering graduate programs.
- The syllabus of IES 2018 is divided as per different engineering discipline namely Civil, Mechanical, Electrical or Electronics & Telecommunication.
IES or Indian Engineering Services is conducted by UPSC each year. Through this examination, candidates can serve for Government of India as engineers in Railway, Military, Central Engineering Service (CES), and other streams.
Download Complete IES Syllabus PDF
IES Exam Pattern 2018
Before delving into preparation, it is essential to develop a proper strategy and understand the exam pattern well to maximize scores in IES 2018:
Listed below are key facts about IES Exam Pattern:
- IES Exam is conducted in 3 Stages namely Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam and Personality Test.
- The medium of examination is offline i.e. it is a written examination.
- Questions in Prelims exam are objective in nature.
- Questions in Mains will have questions of conventional type.
- The medium of examination is English.
- In IES, there will be a deduction of one-third of the mark allotted for each question for every wrong answer attempted.
IES Syllabus 2018
- Indian Engineering Services examination is conducted in three stages.
- The first two stages are written examinations.
- Stage 1 consists of 2 Papers namely General Studies & Engineering Aptitude (Paper 1) and Engineering Discipline (Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering).
- The questions in Paper 1 are based on Current issues, Basic Engineering Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis etc.
- The questions in Paper 2 are based on the chosen engineering discipline.
- Stage 2 also consists of 2 Papers, both the papers are engineering discipline specific.
IES Syllabus for General Knowledge & Engineering Aptitude
- Questions in General Aptitude will cover questions from Current issues of national and international importance related to economic, social and industrial development.
- Engineering Aptitude section will cover questions from
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability
- Engineering Mathematics
- Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Drawing, Design, and Importance of Safety
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution, and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance, and technology-based education.
- The questions in this paper are of graduate level.
- Marks for each topic mentioned above will range from 5% to 15% of the total marks in the paper.
IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- The paper code for Mechanical Engineering is ME.
- It is the widest and oldest branch in IES.
- Both the Stages in IES will have questions from this discipline.
- The level of questions will vary as per the stages.
- The branch applies the principles of engineering, physics and material science for the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems.
Tabulated below are the topics with important topics that will form IES Syllabus for ME.
ME Syllabus for Stage 2 Paper 1
Tool Life Equation Problems
Casting Types and Design
Problems in Welding
Numbers in convection like Pr No, Gr No, Re No, etc.
Problems on conduction
Shape factor in radiation
Problem in Heat exchangers like NTU
|Thermal Science||Fluid Mechanics|
1st and 2nd Law Problems
Laws of TD and Properties
Problems of Diesel
Detonation and Knocking
Flow through Pipes
Boundary Layer Theory
Applications of Bernoulli equation
Specific speeds of turbine and pumps
|Theory of Machines and Vibration||Renewable Sources of Energy|
Planetary gear train
Gears LOC, POC
Governors & Fly Wheel
Pairs & its applications
Inversions of single & double slider crank
Solar Thermal Energy collection - Flat Plate and focusing collectors their materials and performance.
Solar Thermal Energy Storage,
Applications – heating, cooling and Power Generation;
Solar Photovoltaic Conversion;
Harnessing of Wind Energy,
Bio-mass and Tidal Energy – Methods and Applications,
Working principles of Fuel Cells
ME Syllabus for Stage 2 Paper 2
|Engineering Mechanics||Engineering Materials|
|Design of Machine Elements|
|Manufacturing, Industrial and Maintenance Engineering||Mechatronics and Robotics|
Important Books for IES Mechanical Engineering
|Book Name||Author/ Publisher|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||P.K. Nag, Edition: 5|
|Introduction to Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Machines||S K Som, Gautam Biswas, S Chakraborty, Edition: 3|
| Fundamentals of Engineering Heat and Mass Transfer||R.C. Sachdeva, Edition: 4|
|Theory of Machines||S S Rattan, Edition: 4|
|Engineering Mechanics||S. Timoshenko, D.H. Young, J.V. Rao, Sukumar Pati, Edition: 5|
IES Syllabus for Civil Engineering
- IES Civil Engineering Exam 2018 is one of the most reputed streams any graduated engineers.
- IES Civil Engineering paper code is CE.
CE Syllabus for Stage 2 Paper 1
|Structural Engineering||Geotechnical Engineering|
|Water Resources Engineering||Environmental Engineering|
Water and wastewater disposal
Municipal Solid Waste
|Transportation Engineering||Geomatics Engineering|
Basics of Geographical Information System (GIS)
Geographical Positioning System (GPS)
CE Syllabus for Stage 2 Paper 2
|Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power|
|Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Pipe Flow||Hydraulic Machines and Hydropower|
|Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering|
Important Books for Civil Engineering (CE)
|Basic Structural Analysis||C.S.Reddy, Edition: 3rd|
|R.C.C. Designs||B.C.Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain, Arun Jain Edition: 3rd|
|Design Of Steel Structures||S.K Duggal Edition: 3rd|
|Surveying (vol. 1,2,3)||B.C.Punia, Askok Jain, Arun Jain|
|Engineering Hydrology||K Subramanya, Edition: 4th|
IES Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
- Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that generally deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.
- The paper code for this paper is EEE.
Tabulated below are the important topics for IES Exam.
EEE Syllabus for Paper 1
|Electric Circuits||Electromagnetic Fields|
KCL, KVL, Node and Mesh analysis
Sinusoidal steady-state analysis
Thevenin’s theorem, Norton’s theorem
Three phase circuits
Electric Field Intensity, Electric Flux Density, Gauss's Law,
Electric field & potential due to point, line, plane & spherical charge distributions
Biot-Savart’s law, Ampere’s law
Self and Mutual inductance of simple configurations
|Signals and Systems||Electrical Machines|
Representation of continuous and discrete-time signals.
Linear Time-Invariant and Causal systems, Sampling theorem.
Applications of Fourier Transform, Laplace Transform, and z-Transform
Single phase transformer,
Three phase transformers,
Auto-transformer, DC machines, Three phase induction motors, Operating principle of single phase induction motors, Synchronous machines
Types of losses and efficiency calculations of electric machines.
|Power Systems||Control Systems|
Power generation concepts
Electric field distribution and insulators
Gauss-Seidel and Newton-Raphson load flow methods
Voltage and Frequency control, Power factor correction
Symmetrical components, Symmetrical and unsymmetrical fault analysis,
Circuit breakers, System stability concepts
Mathematical modeling and representation of systems
Feedback principle, transfer function, Block diagrams and Signal flow graphs
Transient and Steady-state analysis of linear time-invariant systems
Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist criteria, Bode plots.
P, PI and PID controllers; State space model, State transition matrix.
|Electrical and Electronic Measurements||Analog and Digital Electronics|
Bridges and Potentiometers
Measurement of voltage, current, power, energy and power factor
Instrument transformers, Digital voltmeters, and multimeters
Phase, Time and Frequency measurement; Oscilloscopes
Characteristics of diodes, BJT, MOSFET
Oscillators and Feedback amplifiers
Characteristics of semiconductor power devices: Diode, Thyristor, Triac, GTO, MOSFET, IGBT;
DC to DC conversion: Buck, Boost and Buck-Boost converters;
Single and three phase configurations of uncontrolled rectifiers, Line commutated thyristor-based converters, Bidirectional ac to dc voltage source converters,
Issues of line current harmonics, Power factor, Distortion factor of ac to dc converters, Single phase and three phase inverters, Sinusoidal pulse modulation.
EEE Syllabus for Stage 2 Paper 2
|Analog and Digital Electronics||Systems and Signal Processing|
|Control Systems||Electrical Machines|
|Power Systems||Power Electronics and Drives|
Important Books for IES Electrical Engineering
|Electrical Power Systems||C. L. Wadhwa, Edition: 6|
|Electrical Machinery||Author's Name: P. S. Bimbhra, Edition: 7|
|Control Systems Engineering||I.J.Nagrath, M. Gopal, Edition: 5|
|Power System Engineering||I Nagrath, D Kothari, Edition: 2|
IES Syllabus for Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- This is a discipline that combines electrical and communication engineering together.
- ECE stands for Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- It is one of the most popular and competitive streams among the aspiring engineers.
Mentioned below are the most important topics for IES Exam:
ECE Syllabus for Paper 1
|Networks, Signals and Systems||Electronic Devices|
Network solution methods
Linear 2-port network parameters
Digital filter design techniques.
Energy bands in intrinsic and extrinsic silicon; Carrier transport
P-N junction, Zener diode, BJT, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, photodiode and solar cell
Integrated circuit fabrication process
|Analog Circuits||Digital Circuits|
Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs and MOSFETs; Simple diode circuits
Single-stage BJT and MOSFET amplifiers
BJT and MOSFET amplifiers
Function generators, wave-shaping circuits and 555 timers
Voltage reference circuits
Power supplies: ripple removal and regulation.
Number systems; Combinatorial circuits
8-bit microprocessor (8085)
Basic control system components
Block diagram representation
Signal flow graph
Transient and steady-state analysis of LTI systems;
Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist stability criteria; Bode and root-locus plots; Lag, lead and lag-lead compensation;
State variable model and solution of state equation of LTI systems.
Fundamentals of error correction, Hamming codes;
Timing and frequency synchronization, inter-symbol interference and its mitigation
Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA.
Plane waves and properties
Basics of radar
Light propagation in optical fibers
ECE Syllabus for Paper 2
|Analog and Digital Communication Systems||Control Systems|
|Computer Organisation and Architecture||Electro Magnetics|
|Advanced Electronic||Advanced Communication|
Important Books for IES Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering
|Microelectronic Circuits: Theory and Applications||Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith, Edition: 6|
|Fundamentals of Electric Circuits||Charles K. Alexander, Matthew N. O. Sadiku, Edition: 5|
|Automatic Control Systems||Benjamin C. Kuo, Edition: 9|
|Digital Logic and Computer Design||M. Morris Mano, Edition: 1|
|Principles of Communication Systems||Goutam Saha, Herbert Taub, Donald Schilling, Edition: 3|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College