CLAT 2018 - Common Law Admission Test
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a national level entrance exam organised rotationally by 18 NLUs (National Law University). It is conducted to grant admissions to LLB and LLM courses offered at various law universities in India. Nearly 50,000 candidates appear for the law entrance exam every year. The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS) Kochi will hold CLAT 2018.
Listed below are quick facts related to CLAT 2018:
- CLAT Registration can be done from January until March 2018 via online mode only at clat.ac.in.
- The exam will be conducted in online mode across 138 centers in India. CheckCLAT Exam Centers
- All candidates who register successfully will be issued their CLAT Admit Card in April 2018.
- CLAT Cut Off for all NLUs is expected to be higher this year. It will be different for each of the NLUs and will also vary for each round of counselling.
- The procedure of CLAT Seat Allotment will commence post declaration of results in May 2018.
CLAT 2018 Quick Links
- How to fill CLAT 2018 Application Form?
- What is the Eligibility Criteria to apply for CLAT 2018?
- How to download CLAT 2018 Admit Card?
- Is there any Reservation in CLAT?
- What are the latest changes in CLAT 2018 Exam Pattern?
- What is the Procedure for CLAT 2018 Seat Allotment?
- What is the Expected CLAT Cut off 2018?
- How to download CLAT 2018 Scorecard?
For the academic session 2018-19, CLAT will be conducted in online mode. Both the papers will be of objective type (MCQs). Duration of the law entrance exam is 120 minutes. For each correct answer, 1 will be awarded whereas, 0.25 marks will be deducted for incorrect answer. Check CLAT Exam Pattern
- For LLB, questions are divided amongst 4 sections namely Mathematics, GK, English Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Legal Aptitude.
- For LLM, questions are divided amongst 3 sections namely Jurisprudence, Constitutional law, and other law subjects.
Highlights of CLAT Exam
|Exam Name||Common Law Admission Test|
|Conducting Body||National Law University (NLU)|
|Exam Type||National Level|
For LL.B. candidate should be 10+2 graduate
For LL.M. program, a candidate should have an LL.B or equivalent degree
|Purpose||Admission to LL.B & LL.M courses in NLUs|
|Exam Date||May 14, 2018 (tentative)|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours|
|NLUs seat intake||2984|
CLAT 2018 Exam Dates
For academic session 2018-19, the conducting body will release the official notification shortly. Candidates can visit CLAT Official Website to check the same. Tabulated below are tentative dates for CLAT exam:
|Start of CLAT Registration||January 01, 2018|
|Last Date to submit CLAT online form||March 31, 2018|
|Availability of CLAT Admit Card 2018||April 20, 2018|
|CLAT Exam 2018||May 14, 2018|
|Availability of CLAT Answer Key||May 16, 2018|
|Representation, if any, relating to exam, questions/ Key||May 17 to May 19, 2018|
|Date for uploading the Amended Answer Key (if any)||May 25, 2018|
|Declaration of CLAT Result (Merit List)||May 29, 2018|
|Publication of 1st Allocation list||June 05, 2018|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 06 to June 08, 2018|
|Release of 2nd Allotment List||June 12, 2018|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 13 to June 14, 2018|
|Release of 3rd Allotment List||June 19, 2018|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 20 to June 21, 2018|
|Last date to withdraw admission fee||June 21, 2018|
|Release of 4th Allotment List||June 24, 2018|
|Fee Payment and Completing Admission Process||June 28 to June 30, 2018|
|Release of Admission Status by NLU(s)||July 04, 2018|
|CLAT Admission Process concludes on||July 06, 2018|
Know More: CLAT 2018 Exam Dates
What is CLAT?
- Common Law Admission Test or CLAT is a national level law entrance test.
- It is conducted to grant admission to LLB and LLM courses offered at various institutes/ universities across India.
- Around 19 NLUs (National Law University) and various private colleges offer admissions via CLAT Scores. CheckCLAT Participating Institutes
How many students are appearing for CLAT 2018?
- CLAT 2016 witnessed a record-breaking participation for the law entrance exam. There were 45,040 aspirants who appeared for CLAT 2016.
- For CLAT 2017, nearly 47,106 candidates appeared for the law entrance exam.
- The participation for this year is expected to be higher for the Common Law Admission Test.
CLAT eligibility criteria are defined by core committee for LLB or LLM programs. Through CLAT 2018, national and NRI candidates are granted admissions to undergraduate law program in well-known NLUs. Candidates can go through the criteria to check if they can fill CLAT Application form.
For CLAT UG Program
The eligibility criteria for CLAT LLB program are given below:
- Age Limit: As per revised rules, candidates who are above 20 years of age in case of UR/NRI/NRI Sponsored category and above 22 years of age in case of SC/ST/OBC/SAP category as on 1st July 2018 are eligible to apply for CLAT 2018.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in April/ May 2018 are also eligible to appear in CLAT exam.
Note:The candidates must convert their grades (if any) into percentage for appearing in CLAT 2018.
For CLAT PG Program
Brief eligibility criteria for CLAT 2018 for LLM program are given below:
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for the candidates appearing in CLAT 2018 to pursue post-graduate programs. Thus, candidates of all ages are eligible to give the examination.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2018 are also eligible to appear in CLATexam. However, they have to show a hard copy of the proof of their passing the qualifying examination in the respective National Law Universities at the time of admission.
READ MORE: CLAT Eligibility
How to fill CLAT Application Form 2018?
- NUALS Kochi will release the application form.
- CLAT Application Form can be filled via online mode only at clat.ac.in.
- The registration window is expected to be open for two months i.e. from January to March 2018.
Completing CLAT Registration in online mode primarily involves 4 steps – Registration at CAPS, Filling in Application Form, Payment of Application Fee and Downloading of Application Form.
Step 1 – CLAT Registration at CAPS
- Candidates willing to apply for CLAT Exam are required to register via CLAT Application Processing System (CAPS) by entering the following details:
- Candidate’s Name,
- Father and Mother Name,
- Date of Birth,
- Valid Email Address,
- Working mobile number (10 digits)
- Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT 2018 exam, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card.
Note: Candidates should carefully fill the information as it cannot be changed in the later stage of the process. Upon successful registration, an E-mail containing CAPS User ID and Password will be sent to the E-mail address and Mobile number provided by candidate. Read more aboutCLAT Application Form.
Step 2 - Fill CLAT Form
- Using the User ID and Password received at the time of CAPS registration, apply online by logging the LOGIN account.
- Click on the ‘Already Registered’ tab and start filling in the application form.
The following information needs to be provided in the form:
- Personal Details like Candidates name, Date of Birth, Personal mobile number, Parent’s name, Parent’s mobile number etc.
- Postal Address (including PIN code) for Communication
- Fill CLAT 2018 Exam Centers
- Upload Scanned image and signature
- Upload the scanned copy of your Date of Birth (Birth certificate, 10th Class certificate, Passport or Adhar Card)
- Upload the scanned copy of caste certificate PWD certificate/state Domicile etc. in PDF format only (if applicable).
Step 3 - Payment of CLAT 2018 Application Fee
- After filling CLAT Application form, candidate must pay the application fee.
- Candidate can pay the application fee through online (Debit/Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Bank Challan). Tabulated below is the application fee for each category:
|Category||Application Fee (INR)|
Step 4 - Download and Print Application Form
- Post successful payment of application fee, candidate can then download their CLAT Form.
- It can be downloaded in PDF format
- Candidates can take a printout of it and save as a record for further communication.
Note: Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT 2018 exam, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card.
CLAT Admit Card 2018
CLAT Hall Ticket will be available for download from April 20, 2018. Candidates will receive the hall ticket through email or by post. The Hall Ticket is a gateway for eligible candidates to enter the examination hall and give the exam. Candidates are required to carry CLAT 2018 Admit Card with one identity proof (Aadhar Card/Voter ID/ Passport/Driving license) on the exam day i.e. May 14, 2018.
How to Download CLAT Admit Card?
Step 1: Visit official website of CLAT i.e. clat.ac.in
Step 2: On the right side a notification table is displayed. Click on the ‘Click Here to download admit card’ tab.
Step 3: Fill in Registered E-mail ID and Password, click on Login tab.
Step 4: Check and download CLAT Admit Card.
Note: In case a candidate forgets his/ her password, then there is another tab ‘Forget Password’. Candidate has to click on the same and fill in the required fields.
CLAT Exam Pattern
NUALS Kochi will hold the exam in May 2018. CLAT Exam Pattern has not seen any major changes over the year. Listed below are the highlights of exam pattern of the law entrance exam:
- CLAT exam pattern is set differently for both LLB and LLM programs.
- Mode of Examination: Online
- Exam Duration: 3 hours
- Number of Sections: In LLB- 5 Sections and In LLM – 3 sections
- Nature of Questions: Objective type (MCQs)
- Total Questions: 200 Questions in LLB and 150 Questions in LLM
- Marking Scheme: 1 mark of each question
- Negative Marking: 0.25 marks deducted for a wrong answer
CLAT 2018 Exam Pattern for LLB
- For undergraduate courses, question paper will contain 5 sections namely - English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning.
- There will be total 200 Multiple Choice Questions.
- For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded 1 mark and ¼ mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
The section-wise distribution in the question paper is mentioned below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|English (including comprehension)||40||40|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||50||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20||20|
|Total||200 questions||200 marks|
Exam Pattern for Post Graduate Courses
- CLAT Paper Pattern for the post graduate courses will contain 3 sections namely Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.
- The question paper for post graduate courses will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions.
Distribution of questions in each section is indicated in the table below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50||50|
CLAT 2018 Answer Keys
As per CLAT Schedule, the answer keys for the law entrance exam will be released on May 16, 2018. They will be available online at clat.ac.in. To access CLAT Answer Key, a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Steps to check the answer keys:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT 2018.
Step 2: On the right side, a table of Important links will be there with the first link as ‘Click here to view Question and Answer Keys’. Click on it.
Step 3: A new page will appear, here a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Then click on ‘Login’ tab.
Step 4: Post that a new window will appear in which 5 tabs will be displayed. To check the keys, candidates have to click on ‘Candidate Response’ tab. Here, the answer keys will be displayed.
In this sheet, candidate will be able to see the responses which they got right and wrong. The response sheet will have the following details:
- Participant ID
- Participant Name
- Test Center Name
- Test Date
- Test Time
- Subject (CLAT 2018 UG/ CLAT 2018 PG)
- Marks Obtained
- Questions with correct answers
- Marks obtained as per the Questions
CLAT Result 2018
The conducting body will releaseCLAT result onMay 29, 2018. Candidates have to visit the official website of CLAT i.e. www.clat.ac.in to check their results. Candidates can access their CLAT Result through their personal LOGIN ACCOUNT.
How to check CLAT Result?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT.
Step 2: On the right side an ‘Important Links’ table is shown. There a link by the name of ‘CLAT Result’ is placed. Click on the link.
Step 3: Enter Email ID and Password
Step 4: Take a print out of your CLAT score card
The complete merit list according to the marks secured by candidate will be published on CLAT website. In addition, state specific and all India merit lists will be prepared for various categories namely Open/SC/ST/OBC/Women and PWD etc. candidates.
CLAT Cut Off 2018
With the increase in number of candidates taking CLAT every year, the cut off for the law entrance exam will also increase. This year CLAT Cut off is expected to increase by 5 % to 10%. CLAT Cutoff will be declared by various CLAT Participating institutes individually. It is the minimum score declared by the universities for the admission process. CLAT Cut Off forms the basis of CLAT Counselling and Seat Allotment.
CLAT Cutoff is calculated considering multiple factors such as difficulty level of the paper, availability of seats, average marks scored in the test and total test population. The difficulty of the law entrance exam has only been moderate. Over the exam was touted easy with few tricky mathematics questions.
Which are the Law Schools Participating in CLAT 2018?
For the academic session of 2018-19, National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi will be conducting CLAT 2018. The law entrance exam is scheduled on May 14, 2018. The other 18 NLUs participating and accepting CLAT 2018 scores are as follows:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study and Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Nagpur
- National Law University, Aurangabad (NLU Aurangabad)
CLAT Counselling 2018
- CLAT Counselling starts from May 29, 2018 and will get over by June 25, 2018.
- Candidate must indicate their NLUs preference online where they want to take admission.
- There will be a centralized admission process for CLAT 2018 and admission will be done on the basis of merit-cum-preference.
- Candidates have to deposit INR 50,000 for securing allotted seat during counselling procedure.
Read More about CLAT 2018 Counselling
CLAT Books and Preparation Tips
The first step for CLAT preparation is to know about the CLAT paper pattern and CLAT Syllabus. For CLAT 2018 conducted for undergraduate courses, students have to prepare 5 subjects namely English Comprehension, Elementary Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current affairs, Legal Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. Out of all the legal Aptitude is the most important section, for preparing this section you can refer “Universal Guide to CLAT or A.P. Bhardwaj CLAT guide”. Do read newspapers on regular basis to prepare for current awareness questions.For elementary mathematics prepare syllabus of class 9th & 10th. In English comprehension, there will be 4-5 short passages on which around 20-22 questions will be asked 7-8 questions is based on antonyms & synonyms and rest questions will be on Grammar. For this, you can practice previous year mock test papers. You can also prepare these topics on online tutorials available for CLAT. Check Preparation tips for CLAT
Here we have compiled a small list of books which can prove to be helpful during your CLAT preparation:-
|CLAT Book Name||Author/Publication|
|The Complete Success Package - CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) 2016||Arihant Experts|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning For the CLAT and LL.B. Entrance Examinations||A. P. Bhardwaj|
|The Pearson Guide to the CLAT||Harsh Gagrani|
|CLAT Solved & Previous Year Paper||A. P. Bhardwaj|
It Totally depends upon you what you see whether a time wasted or invested says Shivam who scored 93.25.
Preparation must be thorough says Parth Patel who scored 89 Percentile in CLAT Exam
All Progress takes place outside the comfort zone says Efaf Aali scored 55 percentile.