CDS 2017- Combined Defence Services
CDS (Combined Defence Services) is organized for recruitment to the post of Office Cadre in Indian Army, Navy and Airforce. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) releases notification for CDS and is responsible for the entire recruitment process. CDS Exam is a three-stage exam- Written Test, Interview by SSB (Service Selection Board) and Medical Examination.
Here are few important details of CDS (II):
- UPSC Notification for CDS (II) will be released on August 09, 2017. It will be available on the official website- upsconline.nic.in
- Candidates who clear all stages of CDS Exam are sent for orientation and training at Indian Military Academy, Dehradun (IMA), Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala (INA), Air Force Academy, Hyderabad (AFA), Officer’s Training Academy, Chennai (OTA). Mention your choice of desired institute/department in the CDS Application Form.
- Female candidates are recruited to Officer’s Training Academy Chennai (OTA), 21st SSC Women (Non-Technical).
- All candidates recruited to IMA or INA or AFA get a permanent commission. While candidates recruited to OTA get short service commission.
- Candidates of Indian Nationality are eligible to apply for the exam. The academic qualification varies for different institute- for IMA/INA/AFA candidate must be have pursued Bachelor’s in Engineering while for OTA, a degree in any discipline is acceptable. READ ABOUT CDS ELIGIBILITY
- Apply online on upsconline.nic.in from August 09, 2017. Application fee for General category is INR 200 while all reserved category and female candidates are exempted from fee payment.
CDS (II) Exam is scheduled in offline mode to fill 400 vacancies declared by UPSC. The exam is conducted in three different shifts for three different subjects. Here are details of CDS Exam Pattern:
- There are 3 exams of 2 hours duration each- English, General Knowledge and Mathematics with 120 questions in each section.
- Each section carries a weightage of 100 marks. Each correct answer is awarded in 0.8 mark in English and GK section while 1 mark is given in Mathematics section.
- Negative marking prevails in the exam. 0.33 mark is deducted for every incorrect answer.
60 x 6
Exam duration is 6 hours in three shifts (2 hours each shift)
Each of 0.8 and 1
Correct Answer- 0.8 (english and GK), 1- Maths
1/3 mark is deducted for every wrong answer in each section
CDS is pen paper based test
Questions will be of objective type
120 x 3
There are 120 questions in each section of CDS Exam
CHECK DETAILED CDS SYLLABUS
CDS Exam Dates 2017
CDS Exam Dates have been announced by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission). UPSC also releases CDS Notification in online mode along with the CDS Application Form. Notification is released separately for CDS (I) and CDS (II).
- UPSC CDS (II) Notification includes all the important information about CDS to help the candidates.
- CDS Notification includes details of exam pattern, syllabus, steps to fill the application form, eligibility etc.
- CDS Application Form and Notification will be available at upsconline.nic.in from August 09, 2017 onwards.
Given below is the tentative schedule for CDS (II) as declared by UPSC: CHECK CDS EXAM DATES
|UPSC Notification for CDS will be released on||August 9, 2017|
|CDS Application Form will be available from||August 09, 2017|
|Last date to submit CDS Application Form||September 08, 2017|
|CDS Admit Card can be downloaded from||October 2017|
|CDS (II) is scheduled for||November 19, 2017|
|CDS Result will be announced on||January 2018|
CDS Vacancy 2017
- CDS Vacancy varies for different institutes and different stages of the exam.
- Total 463 vacancies have been released by UPSC for recruitment through CDS (II).
UPSC CDS (II) tentative vacancies released by UPSC have been tabulated below. Also, check below the reservation criteria for CDS (II):
|Name of the Institute||Total vacancies||Reserved Vacancies|
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun||150||19 for NCC ‘C’ Certificate (Army Wing) holders|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala course||45||06 for NCC ‘C’ Certificate (Navy Wing) holders|
|Air Force Academy, Hyderabad (Pre-Flying Training Course)||32||-|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai 107th SSC||255||50 for NCC ‘C’|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai 21st SSC Women||11||-|
CDS Eligibility 2017
- Candidate must gratify to all the minimum eligibility requirements before filling the CDS Application form.
- Candidates must know the eligibility conditions as notified by UPSC in the notification. The eligibility is subject to verification anytime during the recruitment process.
- Male candidates can apply for recruitment to any institute among INA, IMA, AFA or OTA while female candidates can apply only for recruitment to OTA.
Given below are the important conditions for CDS Eligibility:
- Candidates must be citizens of India to apply for CDS.
- Subjects of Bhutan, Nepal, Tibet and other (Persons of India Origin) PIO from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka & various East African Countries who have settled in India is also eligible for the exam.
- Candidates will have to produce a certificate issued by authorities of Government of India certifying the claim.
- The minimum qualification required to apply for CDS is Bachelors Degree in Engineering. This academic qualification is required for IMA, INA and AFA.
- For recruitment to OTA, degree in any discipline is acceptable.
- Candidates appearing for the final year can apply for the exam on provisional basis.
- Minimum age required to apply for CDS is 19 years.
- Upper age limit varies with the institute and caste.
- For OTA, the maximum age limit is 25 years. It is 22 years, 23 years and 24 years for INA, AFA and IMA respectively.
Marital Status and Physical Standards
- Candidates applying for IMA, INA and AFA below 25 years of age should be unmarried.
- Male Applicants at OTA are exempted from this restriction while Unmarried women, issueless widows and divorcees can apply for OTA.
- Candidate must be physically fit to be eligible to apply for CDS.
CDS Salary 2017
UPSC announces the salary allowance for different posts through CDS. Different ranks in Army, Navy and Air force have different pay scale.
Check the table below for the pay scale of Army officers and equivalent ranks in Navy and Air Force:
|Lt. to Major||15,600-39,100 (PB-3)|
|Lt. Col. to Major Gen.||37,400-67,000 (PB-4)|
|Lt. Gen. HAG Scale||67,000/- (annual increment @ 3%) – 79.000|
|HAG Scale* (* Admissible to 1/3rd of total strength of Lt. Gens)||75,500/- (annual increment @ 3%) – 80,000|
|VCO / AS / Army Cdr / Lt Gen (NFSG)||80,000/- (Fixed)|
CDS Application Form 2017
To apply for UPSC CDS exam, candidate will have to visit the official website of UPSC. Candidates must submit single application form. However, if due to any unavoidable circumstances he/she fills more than one CDS Application Form, the one with higher RID (Registration ID) will be considered valid.
CDS I Application Form can be filled in 2 parts. In the first part, candidates will have to enter all the personal and educational details. While second part will deal with payment of the CDS Application Fee and attachment of required documents (scanned photograph and signatures). The UPSC CDS Application Fee is INR 200, to be filled by General and OBC category candidates only. Fee exemption is applicable for women and candidates from SC/ST categories.
The certificates must not be submitted along with the online Application form for CDS. All the certificates will be verified at the time of Selection Procedure.
CDS Admit Card 2017
UPSC CDS Admit card will be issued to those who will successfully submit the CDS Online Application form with the required details and application fee. The CDS 2017 Admit Card will be released on the official website of UPSC, three weeks before the commencement of the exam.
Candidates can obtain the e-admit card by visiting official website. it is important to note that candidates must download the admit card online, CDS admit card will not be sent via post. The applicants provide a valid email id as all the communications shall be done through it by the commission.
CDS Exam Pattern 2017
CDS Exam Pattern comprises of a written examination and personal interview. The written test will be conducted for 3 subjects namely, English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics. Each subject will weigh 100 marks and the questions will be objective type. Follow the table given below to know the details of CDS 2017 Exam Pattern.
|CDS 1 Paper||English||General Knowledge||Mathematics|
|Exam Duration||2 hours (120 minutes)||2 hours (120 minutes)||2 hours (120 minutes)|
|Total number of questions||120 questions||120 questions||100 questions|
|Total Marks||100 marks||100 marks||100 marks|
|Marking Scheme||+0.8 marks for each correct option -0.33 marks for each wrong answer||+0.8 marks for each correct option -0.33 marks for each wrong answer||+1 marks for each correct option -0.33 marks for each wrong answer|
|Medium||English||English & Hindi||English & Hindi|
Read More CDS 2017 Syllabus
CDS Preparation Books 2017
UPSC CDS is a highly competitive exam for which candidates from all over the country prepare intensively. Amidst fierce competition, candidates must wisely plan strategies to prepare. It is equally important to refer to eminent books for good preparation. Given below is the list of CDS Preparation Books recommended to the candidates:
|Name of the Books||ISBN Number|
|Objective General English by Arihant||9351768449|
|Objective General English by RS Aggarwal||8121915317|
|Word Power Made Easy: Norman Lewis||8183071007|
|Manorama Yearbook 2016 (Available in Hindi and English)||9383197900|
|Lucent’s General Knowledge (Available in Hindi and English)||9384761540|
|Competition in Focus Half-Yearly/Yearly (Available in Hindi and English)||9385929178|
|Quantitative Aptitude for examinations paperback by RS Aggarwal||8121924987|
|Mathematics for CDS by RS Aggarwal||8121925827|
Read About CDS Sample Paper
CDS Result 2017
UPSC will release the CDS Result on its official website www.upsconline.nic.in. The result is expected to be declared in April, 2017. However, no official date has been announced yet. Before the declaration of the CDS results, answer sheets will be available.
After the results are announced, candidates will be shortlisted for Interview Session. Candidates will have to qualify to the cut off marks set by the commission. Candidates will be asked to register themselves on the recruiting directorate website to receive a call for SSB interview.
Steps to check Result:
- Go to Official UPSC Website – Go to the home, click on the “Written Exam” Link.
- After that Pdf will be open on the screen.
- Search roll number on the pdf and check the corresponding result.
CDS Cut Off 2017
Candidates are selected for the SSB Interview session on the basis of the cut off decided by UPSC. CDS Cut Off will be declared after the scores of the written examination will be declared online.
The factors affecting the CDS 2017 Cutoff are: Level of Difficulty of the examination, Number of available seats, previous trends in CDS cutoffs and number of candidates in the CDS Exam 2016.
Previous Year CDS Cut Off 2015 has been given below in the table:
|Academy||Written Exam||Final Exam|
|--||Aggregate marks of last qualified candidates *||Marks of last recommended candidates|
CDS Selection Procedure 2017
CDS Selection Procedure will begin shortly after the declaration of the CDS Results. The CDS selection process will involve four stages- Written Test, Psychological Aptitude Test and Personal Interview, Verification of Candidates and Medical Examination of Selected Candidates.
The candidates will be placed in the order of merit on the basis of the total marks secured by them in the written examination and in the SSB tests. The final selection will be made in order of merit subject to medical fitness and suitability in all other respects and number of vacancies available.
Service Selection Board For Army
- Allahabad – 11SSB, 14SSB, 18SSB, 19SSB and 34SSB
- Bhopal – 20SSB, 21SSB and 22SSB
- Bangalore – 17SSB and 24SSB
Service Selection Board For Navy
- Bhopal – 33SSB
- Bangalore – 12SSB
Service Selection Board For Air Force
- AFSB, Dehradun
- AFSB, Mysore
- AFSB, Gandhinagar
- AFSB, Varansai