CBSE UGC NET 2018 Application Form and Exam Dates
CBSE UGC NET 2018 is a National Eligibility Test organised by Central Board of Secondary Education. The exam is conducted to select the candidates for the position of Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor. CBSE conducts the exam on behalf of University Grants Commission (UGC). This offline exam is conducted for over 84 subjects and the selected candidates are placed across the country in over 750 Universities. The exam is piloted biannually and the next CBSE UGC NET will be conducted on July 8, 2018.
Candidates can apply online from March 6, 2018 at cbsenet.nic.in. While applying candidates should clearly indicate that whether want to appear for both JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor or just the later one.
This is year CBSE has also introduced some changes in exam pattern for UGC NET 2018. Unlike previous year, this year candidates have to appear only for 2 papers. Merit list will be prepared on the basis of candidates’ assessment for these 2 papers only. Check latest exam pattern for CBSE UGC NET
- Candidates will be awarded 2 marks for every right answer and there are no negative marks in the paper.
- CBSE UGC NET 2018 Application Form will be filled online in the CBSE website.
- The candidate would have to register in the portal prior to applying for the exam.
- The payment can be made in both online and offline mode.
- The candidate can write to the CBSE headquarters in Delhi or email them in case of any clarifications.
The number of seat available varies every year based on the requirements of the university. University Grant Commission validates and inspects the universities in India before finalising on the vacancy positions.
- Number of applicants – 8 lakhs
- Number of courses - 84
- Number of universities – 780
- CBSE has announced CBSE UGC NET(July) 2018 Dates. Registration to start from March 06 and exam is tentatively scheduled on July 08. Read More
- CBSE UGC NET November 2017 Candidates Can Now Apply For Calculation Sheet till February 9, 2018
- CBSE UGC NET 2017 Results have been declared on the official Website.
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Highlights Table
|Exam Type||National Eligibility Test|
|Conducting Body||Central Board of Secondary Education|
|Medium||English or Hindu|
|Type and Number of Questions||Objective Type (185 questions)|
|Sections||General Aptitude, and the course selected|
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Dates
The exam will be organised biannually in the month of January and July. The dates for January session is as follows:
|Commencement of application form||March 6, 2018|
|Last Date of Filling in the Application Form||April 5, 2018|
|Exam Date||July 8, 2018|
|Exam Result||May 2018|
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Eligibility
Candidates should have a minimum of 55% in their PG or an equivalent exam in the subject of their choice from any recognised university. CBSE UGC NET 2018 offers exemption to candidates from the Other Backward Classes (OBC)/ ST/SC categories for upto 50%.
CBSE permits students in the final year of the course to apply for the exam. However, candidates will be disqualified if they fail to secure the marks as indicated by the Board. The board offers additional 5 % relaxation to candidates who have completed their Doctorate degree before September 19, 1991. Candidates are strongly recommended to select courses of their speciality. If the course is not listed, then they can select a course almost close to it.
Candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship should not be more than 28 years as on January 1, 2018. However, age relaxation is given for the below categories
- Other Backward Class (non – creamy layer) / SC / ST / PWD / Women applicants – 5 years
- Candidates with research experience in the selected field from a recognised university – 5 years
- Candidates with LLM Degree – 3 years
- CBSE has not set any age limit for Candidates applying for Assistant Professor. However, candidates with the below qualification / degree shall be exempted from attending NET and can directly apply to any college
- Candidates who have passed in UGC / CSIR JRF before 1989
- Candidates who have passed States Eligibility Test(SET) before June 1, 2002
UGC NET 2018 Application Form
Candidates will have to pre-register with Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE) before filling before filling in the application form. The candidates who have already registered can login using their credentials and fill in for the exam.
New Candidate Registration
Candidates will have to follow four steps for successful completion of application. The steps are as follows
Step 1: Fill the Application form
The application form will contain different columns and the candidates are advised to fill in all the questions diligently and with care. The candidates will be asked to download the information bulletin and carefully read the conditions given in the page. The page will so speak of the fees structure and the photo specifications
Examination Related Details
- Candidates with be asked select the position for which they wish to apply.
- The subject selected should be the same as the PG Degree or something close to it
- The Choice of Exam city should be a convenient location to the candidate
- Candidates will be given a choice of four location to give the university the flexibility of allotting the centre as per availability
- Candidates will be asked to fill in the name, DOB , Father’s Name and other personal information in this section
- Fill in the details as per the certificate to avoid confusions
- Provide a valid email and mobile number as they as the point of communication from the Board
Candidate Mailing Address
This can be the address to which the candidate requests the board to send their communication material. This can be college or work address
Candidate Permanent Address
Candidates are asked to fill in their permanent address as given in the ration card and other government documents
Details of Educational Qualifications
Candidates will have to fill their Post-graduation examination details like
- Graduation year
- University Name
- State of University
The password should be 8 characters long. Make a note of the password as it is very important for downloading and corrections of the form
Enter the security pin and proceed. Candidates will be given a preview of the document post which they can select the final submit option
Step 2: Uploading the photograph
CBSE UGC NET will generate an application number at successful completion of Step 1. Candidates will be asked to upload the photograph and signature in the given specifications
- Size – greater than 4 kb and lesser than 40 kb
- Dimension – 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5 cm (Height)
- Size – greater than 4 kb and lesser than 30 kb
- Dimension – 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 cm (Height)
The page will offer a preview of the photograph and signature. If you are satisfied, click on final upload and continue.
Step 3: Payment of Examination fee
Candidates can pay CBSE UGC NET fees both by online and offline mode
Online Mode – The online payment can be made by Debit Card / Credit card / Net banking. The banking charges as indicated by the bank is applicable
Offline Mode – Candidates are requested to download the challam and make the payment in any authorised bank. The challam number should be entered in the form for acceptance of the form.
Step 4: Final Confirmation
Candidates are advised to go through the entire document before final submission of the application form
The application fee determined by CBSE varies according to the category of the candidate. Candidates can pay the fees in both online and offline mode
- Candidates can make the payment through Debit Card / Credit Card and Net Banking
- Candidates will have to enter the sixteen-digit number on the top of the card, name and CVV
- The bank will send an OTP for verification purposes
- Additional charges will be added as interest to the bank
- Candidates will have to download the challam from the website
- Fill in the application form, Name and the exam applied details
- The challam can be paid in any recognised bank of India
- Candidates will have to enter the challam number for completion of application process
Applicants are advised to make the payments well in advance to avoid any unforeseen circumstances and events.
The examination fees for various categories will be as follows:
|Other Backward Class (non – creamy layer)||INR 300|
|SC / ST / PwD||INR 150|
UGC NET 2018 Admit Card
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Admit Card is a mandatory document and candidates will not be permitted to write the exam without producing a valid admit card. The admit card will contain details like name, date of birth, examination details, photograph. venue details, exam timing, signature of candidate, and space for invigilator signature. The admit card will be available for download 15 days before the exam. The admit card will not be sent to the candidate and candidates are requested to take a print out of the downloaded admit card.
Given below is the steps to download the admit card
- Visit CBSE website to download the admit card
- Login in using the Application Number and password
- Click on the download option to download the admit card
- Take a printout of the admit card and prepare well for the exam
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Center
CBSE UGC NET 2018 will have in over 90 examination centres across the country. CBSE will select exam centres on basis of the Universities validated and approved by them. The examination centres will be planned in all the states across the country for easy accessibility for the candidates. The examination centre in each state will be selected on the basis on the credibility and the accessibility factor. The exam will be held in all areas across the country. Candidates will be allotted examination centres based on their preferences and availability.
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern will be conducted in the offline mode and it will be organised as three papers.
The paper I will consist of General Aptitude Test and 60 questions will be asked. Candidates will be expected to answer a minimum of 50 questions. Even if the candidate answers more than 50 questions, the first 50 questions will be evaluated. The questions will be of objective type and the candidates to fill the answer in an OMR Sheet.
The paper II will contain 50 multiple choice questions and the candidates are expected to fill all the questions. They will be given a time of 1 hour 15 minutes and the answers should be recorded in Optical Mark Reader (OMR Sheet)
Paper III will contain questions from the subject chosen by the candidate. The paper will contain 75 objective type questions and will be given a time of 2 hours 30 minutes.
Specially challenged candidates will be given 30 minutes extra for Paper I and Paper II respectively and 45 minutes for Paper III
Exam Pattern Highlights Table
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Number of Questions||175|
|Duration of Exam||5 hours|
|Sections in Paper||General Aptitude and the subject opted by the candidate|
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Pattern will have three papers. The Paper I will be common for all candidates. It will contain questions of General Aptitude which will include:
- Logical Reasoning
- Reading and Comprehension
- Cognitive Skills
- Problems Solving Skills
- General Awareness
- Current Affairs
Paper II and Paper III will contains questions from the subject opted by the candidate. It will cover the entire syllabus and the candidates are advised to refer the University Grant Commission for detailed syllabi. The subject selected by the candidates will include Economics, Commerce, and Political Science. History, Philosophy, Sociology, Home Science, Public Administration, Social Work. Languages, Music, Religion, Labour Welfare. Literature, Archaeology, etc. The questions will be of Objective type and the candidates will be awarded 2 marks for every right answer.
The reference books will vary for each subject and a few important books are:
|Name of the Book||Publisher/Author|
|Trueman’s UGC NET / SLET General Paper I||Danika Publishing Company|
|UGC NET / JRF / SLET General Paper||Arihant Publisher|
|UGC NET / JRF / SLET Teaching & Research Aptitude||Upkar Publishers|
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Result
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Result is likely to be released on May 2018. Candidates who pass in all three papers with required cut off will only be selected by the commission. The result will be announced in the CBSE and UGC website. The notification of the result will appear in all leading newspapers and websites.
Steps to download/view the scorecard:
- The score card can be downloaded from the website using the login credentials given at the time of filling the application form.
- Candidate can click the result option and know the status of the result
- Selected candidates will be issued an e-certificate which will be valid for applying to the colleges
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Answer key can be downloaded from the website of Central Board of Secondary education once the results are announced. The candidates can download the answer key for reference and re-evaluation process.
CBSE UGC NET Cut off
University Grant Commission has defined a set of scores which the candidate has to score in order to qualify. Candidate has to score the minimum cut off in all the papers. The cut off is determined based on each category. The percentage for each paper for different categories is as follows
|Category||Paper I||Paper II||Paper III|
|General||40 %||40 %||50 %|
|OBC / PwD / SC / ST||35 %||35 %||40 %|
The merit list is prepared on basis on the cut off score. The merit list be prepared on basis of the cumulative score, individual subject wise score and category wise score. The leading 15 % of candidates will be selected based on the subject and category. These candidates will be eligible for the position of Assistant Professor. The remaining candidates will be ranked separately for the Junior Research Fellowship
UGC NET 2018 Cut Off
After scoring the minimum qualifying marks does not ensure qualification in UGC NET. The final cut off for each subject will be decided by CBSE. The minimum marks that a candidate need to be score in UGC NET to be considered for the award of JRF and eligibility & Assistant Professor is given below:
|Category||Paper I||Paper II||Paper III|
|General||40 marks (40%)||40 marks (40%)||75 marks (50%)|
|SC/ ST/ OBC/ PWD||35 marks (35%)||35 marks (35%)||60 marks (40%)|
CBSE UGC NET 2018 Counselling
Selected candidates will be called for counselling based on their position in the merit List. The details of the counselling date and venue will be displayed in the University Grant Commission Website
All original documents of the candidate will be verified at the time of counselling. If there are any discrepancies found, candidate will be disqualified and fined. The list of documents required are as follows
- Counselling Letter
- Admit Card
- 10th & 12th Certificate
- UG Degree Certificate
- PG Degree Certificate
- Community Certificate
- Fitness Certificate from a recognised doctor
- Photographs (Recent and professional)
Candidates must carry both the original and 3 set of Xerox copies along with them
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College