UGC NET 2018: Application Form, Dates, Pattern & Syllabus
UGC NET 2018 is a National Eligibility Test organized by Central Board of Secondary Education. The exam is conducted to select the candidates for the position of Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor. This year CBSE has also introduced some changes in exam pattern for UGC NET 2018. Unlike previous year, now candidates have to appear only for 2 papers. Check Latest Exam Pattern for CBSE UGC NET
Latest: CBSE UGC NET Application Form Submission date has been extended till April 12, 2018 11:59 PM and Fee submission upto April 13, 2018 11:59 PM.
- While applying candidates should clearly indicate whether they want to appear for both JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor or just the later one.
CBSE conducts the exam on behalf of University Grants Commission (UGC). This offline exam is conducted for over 84 subjects and the selected candidates are placed across the country in over 750 Universities. The exam is piloted biannually and the next CBSE UGC NET will be conducted on July 8, 2018.
The number of seats available varies every year based on the requirements of the university. University Grant Commission validates and inspects the universities in India before finalising on the vacancy positions.
- Number of applicants – 8 lakhs
- Number of courses - 84
- Number of universities – 780
- CBSE has announced UGC NET(July) 2018 Dates. Registration to start from March 06 and exam is tentatively scheduled on July 08. Read More
- CBSE UGC NET November 2017 Candidates Can Now Apply For Calculation Sheet till February 9, 2018
- CBSE UGC NET 2017 Results have been declared on the official Website.
UGC NET 2018 Highlights Table
|Exam Type||National Eligibility Test|
|Conducting Body||Central Board of Secondary Education|
|Medium||English or Hindi|
|Duration||5 hours (Paper 1- 1 hour, Paper 2- 2 hours)|
|Type and Number of Questions||Objective Type (150 questions)|
|Sections||General Aptitude, and the course selected|
Changes Introduced in UGC NET 2018
This year, CBSE has introduced some changes in the paper pattern and eligibility criteria for JRF aspirants. Find below the changes introduced in detail:
New Exam Pattern for CBSE NET 2018
- CBSE UGC NET 2018 will comprise only two papers- Paper 1 and Paper 2. Earlier, the exam included three papers.
- Total Number of Questions- 150 (Paper 1- 50, Paper 2- 100)
- It is mandatory to attempt all the questions from both the papers, there is no provision of making choices.
- Paper 2 will cover syllabi of both Paper 2 and Paper 3 as per the previous pattern of UGC NET.
Eligibility Criteria for JRF Aspirants
- The upper age for the Junior Research Fellowship was 28 years earlier.
- However, it has been increased by two years for the candidates who belong to the General Category.
- The present upper age limit is 30 years for the candidates of General Category.
- For reserved category, it is set at 35 years.
CBSE UGC NET will be conducted twice a year in July and January.
Adhaar Card Mandatory to Apply for UGC NET 2018
A notification dated February 23, 2018 stated that candidates must have adhaar card mandatorily to apply for CBSE UGC NET 2018. The move was initiated for candidates to establish their identity. However, some modifications have been made in this case. Online applications can be filled with any of the following documents:
- Adhaar Card
- Adhaar Enrolment Number
- Ration Card/Passport/Bank Account No. or other valid Government ID (such as Driving License/Voter ID etc.).
UGC NET 2018 Exam Dates
The exam will be organised biannually in the month of January and July. The dates for July session is as follows:
|CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Notification||February 1, 2018||Check UGC NET Official Notification|
|Availability of Online Application Form||March 6, 2018||CBSE UGC NET Application ends on April 5, 2018|
|Corrections in particulars of application form||April 25 – May 1, 2018||-|
|Availability of UGC NET Admit Card||June 2018||Download Admit Card from cbsenet.nic.in|
|CBSE UGC NET 2018 Exam Date||July 8, 2018||Paper-1 will be of 1 hour while Paper-2 will be of 2 hours|
|Availability of Answer Key & OMR Sheet||August 2018||-|
|Result Declaration||July 2018||Check UGC NET Result online at cbsenet.nic.in|
UGC NET 2018 Eligibility
In order to apply for UGC NET 2018, candidates will have to fulfill certain eligibility conditions. The eligibility is based on the academic qualification and age limit.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 55% in their PG or an equivalent from any recognised university.
- UGC NET 2018 offers exemption to candidates from the Other Backward Classes (OBC)/ ST/SC categories for upto 50%.
- CBSE permits students in the final year of the course to apply for the exam. However, candidates will be disqualified if they fail to secure the marks as indicated by the Board.
- The board offers additional 5 % relaxation to candidates who have completed their Doctorate degree before September 19, 1991.
- Candidates are recommended to select courses of their speciality.
- Candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship should not be more than 30 years as on January 1, 2018.
- There is no upper age limit for candidates for Assistant Professor’s post.
- CBSE provides relaxations to candidates belonging to reserved categories.
- OBC-NCL/ SC/ ST/ PWD/Transgenders/ Women applicants – 5 years relaxation
- Candidates with research experience in the selected field from a recognised university – 5 years
- Candidates with LLM Degree – 3 years
- Candidates with the below qualification/ degree shall be exempted from attending NET and can directly apply to any college
- Candidates who have passed in UGC / CSIR JRF before 1989
- Candidates who have passed States Eligibility Test(SET) before June 1, 2002
UGC NET 2018 Application Form
By following the steps given below, students can fill UGC NET 2018 Application Form:
- Students must visit the official website link of UGC NET i.e. cbsenet.nic.in
- Click on the link related to “Apply for NET July 2018”.
- Go through the “New Candidate Registration” section.
- Click on the “Apply for July 2018” option.
- Read all the instructions carefully and click on “Proceed to Apply Online”.
- The authentication form will be opened on the screen.
- Enter details like Nationality, State/UT which you belongs, Select Identification Type, Identification Number, Candidate’s Name, DOB, Gender, etc.
- After filling the details, click on the “Submit” button.
- Once the authentication process is done, candidates can proceed to fill the application.
- Candidates have to fill all the required details in the application form.
- After submitting the details, an Application Number will be generated.
- Upload the scanned images of latest photograph and signature in prescribed format.
- Now, pay the application fee through online or offline method.
- After completing the fee payment, candidates have to take the printout of the confirmation page and keep it safe.
The application fee determined by CBSE varies according to the category of the candidate. Candidates can pay the fees in both online and offline mode
- Candidates can make the payment through Debit Card / Credit Card and Net Banking
- Candidates will have to enter the sixteen-digit number on the top of the card, name and CVV
- The bank will send an OTP for verification purposes
- Additional charges will be added as interest to the bank
- Candidates will have to download the challan from the website
- Fill in the application form, Name and the exam applied details
- The challan can be paid in Syndicate/Canara/ICICI bank of India
- Candidates will have to enter the challan number for completion of application process
Applicants are advised to make the payments well in advance to avoid any unforeseen circumstances and events.
The examination fees for various categories will be as follows:
|Other Backward Class (non – creamy layer)||INR 500|
|SC / ST / PwD||INR 250|
UGC NET 2018 Admit Card
The admit card for CBSE UGC NET 2018 will be released in the third week of June 2018. Candidates can access the admit card on the official website- cbsenet.nic.in.
- No admit card will be sent to the candidates individually by post.
- The details printed on UGC NET 2018 Admit card include Name, Category, Address of the Examination Center, Photograph and Signature, Date & Timing of the examination, etc.
Candidates can download their admit cards from the website by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the link “Click Here for Login for Admit Card”.
- Now, you have to login with “Application Number” & “Password”.
- Click on the “Login” button.
- The admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download the admit card.
- Keep the printout of the admit card for further reference.
UGC NET 2018 Exam Centers
The exam will be conducted in over 91 exam cities this year, candidates must fill in their preferences carefully while filling UGC NET 2018 Application Form. Find the map below to know examination centres across the country.
Time Schedule for UGC NET 2018 (July session)
|DATES OF EXAMINATION||08.07.2018 (Sunday)||08.07.2018 (Sunday)|
|Entry in the Examination Hall||07.00 AM (IST)||) 10.45 AM (IST)|
|Distribution of Test Booklet||09.15 AM(IST)||10.50 AM (IST)|
|Seal of the Test Booklet to be broken/ opened to take out the Answer Sheet||09.25 AM(IST)||10.55 AM (IST)|
|Last entry in the Examination Hall||09.30 AM (IST)||11.00 AM (IST)|
|Test commences||09.30 AM(IST)||11.00 AM (IST)|
|Test concludes||10.30 AM (IST)||1.00 PM(IST)|
UGC NET 2018 Exam Pattern
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be held on July 8, 2018 (Sunday) in two separate sessions as under:
- First (Paper-1): 100 Marks (50 out of which 50 questions all are compulsory) [Duration: 1 Hours (09.30 AM to 10.30 AM, IST)]
- Second (Paper-2): 200 Marks (100 questions all are compulsory) [Duration: 2 Hours (11.00 AM to 01.00 PM, IST)]
- Paper-1 will consist of 50 objective type compulsory questions each carrying 2 marks.
- The questions which will be of general nature, intend to assess the teaching/research aptitude of the candidate.
- It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate
- Paper-2 will consist of 100 objective type compulsory questions each carrying 2 marks which will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.
- All the questions of Paper-II will be compulsory, covering entire syllabi of earlier Paper II & Paper-III (including all electives, without options).
- Candidate will have to mark the responses for questions of Paper-1 & Paper-2 on the Optical Mark Reader (OMR) Sheet provided along with the test booklet.
- Detailed instructions for filling up the OMR sheet are given on page 16 and 17.
- It may be noted that these instructions to candidates will not be sent to any of the candidate by post.
UGC NET 2018 Syllabus
The syllabus of National Eligibility Test (NET) is different for different subjects. The subjects included in NET is more than 100. Candidates should also prepare from the syllabus of their qualifying examination. Candidates must prepare as per the syllabus prescribed by the CBSE.
The paper 1 will cover following areas:
- Teaching Aptitude
- Research Aptitude
- Reading Comprehension
- Reasoning (including Mathematical)
- Logical Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- People and Environment
- Higher Education System: Governance, Polity and Administration
Paper 2 will have syllabus from specific subjects as chosen by the candidates for UGC NET 2018. Check Detailed Syllabus Here
Best Books to Prepare for UGC NET 2018
The reference books will vary for each subject and a few important books are:
|Name of the Book||Publisher/Author|
|Trueman’s UGC NET/ SLET General Paper I||Danika Publishing Company|
|UGC NET/ JRF/ SLET General Paper||Arihant Publisher|
|UGC NET /JRF /SLET Teaching & Research Aptitude||Upkar Publishers|
|UGC NET/SET Paper 1||Mc Graw Hill Education|
|CBSE UGC NET: Teaching and Research Aptitude- JRF & Assistant Professor Exam Guide (Paper 1)||Ramesh Publishing House|
|Trueman’s UGC NET Paper 1 (hindi)||Trueman Publishers|
|UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper 1- Shikshan Avum Shodh Abhiyogita||Arihant Publishers|
|UGC NET Teaching and Research Aptitude: Previous Paper & Test Papers||RPH|
|13 Years Solved Papers UGC NET/SET Teaching & Research Aptitude General (Paper 1)||GK Publishing|
UGC NET Previous Year Question Papers
the previous year question papers for UGC NET can help candidates prepare better for the upcoming exam. Download free sample papers and mock test from here.
Answer Key for UGC NET 2018
Soon after the exam is conducted, candidates can look for UGC NET 2018 Answer Key on the official website of UGC NET. The answer key will contain all the right answers of the questions asked in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the exam.
Note that the number of questions to be attempted compulsorily is 150. The steps to download answer keys are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UGC NET i.e. cbsenet.nic.in
- On the website homepage, search for the important links section
- Under the section, select the particular year.
- Students will be redirected to another page
- Click on the desired answer key link
UGC NET 2018 Result
The results for CBSE UGC NET 2018 will be declared soon after the exam is conducted. Candidates will have the option to lodge their grievances after the answer keys are released. Note that no grievances are entertained after the final result declaration.
How to Check CBSE UGC NET Result 2018?
- Go to the official website of CBSE NET.
- Click on that link and you will be redirected to the home page of the website.
- Click on UGC NET 2018 Result on menu bar.
- Enter your roll number and date of birth and click on the submit button.
- Your result will appear in the pdf format.
- Download it and take a printout of the result for further process.
Procedure of UGC NET 2018 Result Declaration
The selection of eligible candidates is based on certain layouts as decided by UGC. The candidates have the following opportunities on clearing UGC NET 2018:
- Those who qualify for the award of Junior Research Fellowship are eligible to pursue research in the subject of their post-graduation or in a related subject.
- The universities, institutions, IITs and other national organizations may select the JRF awardees for whole time research work.
- For Assistant Professor, the number of candidates to be qualified (total slots) will be equal to 6% of the candidates appeared in both the papers of NET.
- For both JRF and Assistant Professor and for Eligibility for Assistant Professor only, the candidate must have appeared in both the papers and secured at least 40% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together.
UGC NET Cut off
University Grant Commission has defined a set of scores which the candidate has to score in order to qualify. Candidate has to score the minimum cut off in all the papers. The cut off is determined based on each category. The percentage for each paper for different categories in 2017 was as follows
|Category||Paper I||Paper II||Paper III|
|General||40 %||40 %||50 %|
|OBC / PwD / SC / ST||35 %||35 %||40 %|
Question: What is CBSE UCG NET Exam?
Answer: CBSE UCG NET 2018 is a National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) every year, on behalf of UCG (University Grants Commission), to select eligible candidates for the position of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor in Indian Universities and colleges.
Question: In how many subjects will the exam be conducted?
Answer: CBSE will conduct the exam in total 84 subjects at 91 examination cities spread across the country.
Question: How many papers do we have to qualify?
Answer: Unlike last year, from this year onwards, students will have to qualify only two papers (Paper 1 & Paper 2).
Question: What is the maximum age limit to apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018?
Answer: The maximum age limit for appearing in CBSE UCG NET 2018 has been increased by two years, and now it is 30 years. Candidates having age more than 30 years will not be permitted to give the exam.
Question: What is the validity of CBSE UCG NET?
Answer: The validity of UCG NET e-certificate is life time, however, the validity of JRF Letter of Award is only two years after the results are declared.
Question: How can I apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018?
Answer: Students can easily apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018 exam online on the official website (www.cbsenet.nic.in). The registration window has already opened on March 6, 2018.
Question: When is the last date to apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018?
Answer: Students can apply for the exam online on the official website till April 5, 2018. After the due date, no application forms will be accepted on any circumstances.
Question: Can I select the exam for one particular post?
Answer: Yes, while filling in the application form, you will have the option to apply for both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor, or just the later one.
Question: Will the exam be conducted in online mode?
Answer: No, the exam will be conducted only in offline mode (pen & paper mode) across the country.
Question: How many questions will be there in CBSE UCG NET 2018?
Answer: There will be total 185 objective-type questions, for which maximum marks awarded is 370. 5 hours are given to complete the paper and the paper is in English or Hindi language (as per your selected language).
Question: Is there any negative marking in the paper?
Answer: No, there is no negative marking in the paper. For each correct answer, you will get 2 marks.
Question: What sections are there in CBSE UCG NET Exam?
Answer: There are only two sections in the exam – General Aptitude and questions related to the course that you have selected while filling in the application form.
Question: What is the last date to submit the application fee?
Answer: The last date to submit the application fee is April 6, 2018. After the due date, the fee will not be accepted and your form will be rejected.
Question: Will there be any application form correction facility?
Answer: Students are advised to fill the application form very carefully and double check it before hitting the submit button. But in case, there are some errors in the submitted application form, the application form correction window will be open from April 25, 2018 to May 1, 2018.
Question: Is Aadhaar Card necessary to apply for the exam?
Answer: To apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018 Exam, Aadhaar Card is very important. Without it, forms will not be accepted. In case, you have applied for Aadhaar Card, but not yet received it, you can fill in the Aadhaar Card number printed on your Aadhaar Card application form.
Question: What is the application fee for CBSE UCG NET 2018 exam?
Answer: The application fee varies category-wise. For general candidates, application fee is INR 1000, for OBC-NCL it is INR 500 and for SC/ST/PwD/Transgender candidates the application fee to be remitted is INR 250.
Question: Is the application fee refundable?
Answer: The application fee for CBSE UCG NET 2018, once remitted, is not refundable or transferable, under any circumstances. So be very sure, before applying for the exam.
Question: How can we pay the application fee?
Answer: The application fee for the exam can be paid either online through Credit Card/Debit Card or via offline mode through e-challan. Candidates paying the fee offline through e-challan will have to give the application fee in cash to Syndicate/ICICI/Canara Bank.
Question:Is there any relaxation to the candidates having research experience?
Answer: Yes, candidates having research experience in the relevant subject of their postgraduate degree will be given a relaxation of 5 years and LLM degree holders will also be provided a relaxation of 3 years.
Question: What is the minimimum eligibility criterion for UCG NET 2018?
Answer: To apply for CBSE UCG NET 2018, students must have a post-graduation degree from a university recognized by UCG, with a minimum aggregate or percentage of 55% for general candidates and 50% in case of reserved category candidates.
Question: Is there any relaxation in minimum aggregate criterion for Ph. D. degree holders?
Answer: Yes, all Ph. D. degree holders whose post-graduation had been completed by 19th September, 1991 will be given a relaxation of 5% marks in the qualifying examination.
Question: Can I apply for the exam, if I am in the final year of my post-graduation?
Answer: Yes, candidates who are appearing for final examination of their Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) are also eligible to apply.
Question: What is the maximum age limit to apply for Assistant Professor Post?
Answer: There is no age limit to apply for Assistant Professor Post.
Question: Who are exempted from appearing in CBSE UCG NET 2018 exam?
Answer: All Ph. D. holders, UGC/CSIR JRF Qualified Candidates, State Eligibility Candidates (SET) Candidates are exempted from appearing CBSE UGC NET 2018. Candidates can check the details on the official website.
Question: When will be the admit cards available?
Answer: The admit cards for CBSE UCG NET 2018 will be available on the official website in the month of June, 2018. Students can download their admit cards from there by logging in to their accounts.
Question: Is it necessary to take a print out of the admit card?
Answer: Yes, it is necessary to take hard copies of the admit card, as admit cards won’t be sent individually by post.
Question: Can we get entry to the examination hall without admit card (in case we forget)?
Answer: No, any candidate without CBSE UCG NET 2018 Hall Ticket will not be permitted to enter the examination hall and give the exam, under any circumstances. So students must carry the hard copy of their respective admit card.
Question: Can we select the examination center while registering for the exam?
Answer: Yes, while registering for CBSE UCG NET 2018 students can fill their preferred examination center. But the conducting authority does not guarantee to assign the preferred examination centers as they will be allocated as per availability.
Question: What other documents do I need to bring along with the hall ticket?
Answer: Along with the print out of the CBSE UCG NET 2018 Admit Card, students must bring their photo identity proof (voter ID card, aadhaar card, pan card, etc.) to the examination center on the date of exam.
Question: Do we have to bring pen or pencil to the examination center?
Answer: Candidates have to bring black or blue ball point pen along with them. Use of pencil is strictly prohibited in the exam.
Question: When will the results be out?
Answer: The results for CBSE UCG NET 2018 will be out in the month of July, 2018. Candidates will be able to check their result by entering their roll number and date of birth.
Question: What is the cut-off for UCG NET 2018?
Answer: General candidates have to score minimum 40 marks (40%) in Paper 1 and 80 marks (40%) in Paper 2. All OBC-NCL/PwD/SC/ST candidates have to score 35 marks (35%) in Paper 1 and 70 marks (75%) in Paper 2.
Question: What is the exam date for CBSE UCG NET 2018?
Answer: CBSE UCG NET 2018 will be conducted across the country on July 8, 2018.
Question: Are women applicants given age relaxation?
Answer: Yes, all women applicants are given age relaxation of 5 years.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College