CAT 2018 Notification will be released on July 30 at its official website and in many leading newspapers. Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow will be organizing the exam this year. Interestingly, the institute is organizing CAT Exam after a gap of 7 years. Prof. Neeraj Dwivedi is the convener of Common Admission Test 2018.
CAT Exam is one of the most distinguished management exams, whose score is accepted in 20 IIMs and other leading institutes across India. Each year, more than 2 lakh candidates appear for it and compete for nearly 4000 seats available in these institutes.
- This year, CAT Registration will commence from August 9, 2018, onwards. The last date to register is September 25.
- Interested candidates can apply online at iimcat.ac.in.
- Graduates in any discipline with minimum 50% (45% for Reserved category) marks are eligible to apply. Check CAT Eligibility
- The conducting body will release CAT Admit Card on October 18, 2018, at its website.
- CAT 2018 is scheduled for November 26, 2018, in online mode.
- Candidates will be notified about CAT Result in January 2018.
- Post declaration of results, candidates can start applying to colleges as per CAT Cut off.
"You can expect a paper (CAT 2018) that will test you both on your accuracy and speed. Focus on the basics, hone the way in which you process information by reading as much as you can, and choose your potential B-School wisely. Also remember that there is a life beyond CAT, and your dreams can be realized in many other ways. So don’t get tensed, prepare hard and hope for the best.", says Prof. Himanshu Rai, IIM Lucknow, Convenor CAT 2010
Quick Facts About CAT Exam 2018
|Release of CAT 2018 Notification||July 30, 2018|
|Exam Name||Common Admission Test (CAT)|
|CAT 2018 Organizing Body ||IIM Lucknow|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|CAT 2018 Official Website||iimcat.ac.in|
|Purpose||Admission to MBA/PGDM Courses|
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||November 26, 2018|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 50%|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Participating Institutes||IIMs, IITs, FMS, ISB and Other Management Institutes|
CAT Exam Dates 2018
IIM Lucknow released CAT Notification on July 30, 2018. Aspirants must keep a track of other important dates associated registration, admit card and result for CAT Exam 2018 etc. Following are the dates for examination-
|Availability of CAT Application Form 2018||August 9, 2018|
|Last Date for CAT Registration 2018||September 25, 2018|
|Availability of CAT 2018 Admit Card||October 18, 2018|
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||November 26, 2018|
|Declaration of CAT Result 2018||January 2018|
|Commencement of CAT 2018 Counseling||February 1, 2018|
Check CAT Exam Dates
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Various eligibility and reservation guidelines have been established for candidates, which have to be necessarily fulfilled. Prior to commencement of CAT Registration, it is necessary for candidates to check CAT Eligibility. A brief about them is given below:
|Nationality||Only citizens of India can apply for CAT Exam|
- One must be a graduate of a recognized University in any discipline.
- Candidates applying under the Unreserved (General) category are must have a minimum score of 50% marks or CGPA in the graduation or equivalent exam.
- Candidates applying under the Reserved (SC/ST/PwD) category are must have a minimum score of 45% marks or CGPA in the graduation or equivalent exam.
- Also, MBA aspirants in the final year of their qualifying exam can apply for CAT 2018.
|Age Limit||There is no age limit for CAT.|
CAT Exam Reservation
Indian Institutes of Management will consider the applicable central government list for reservation as on the last date of CAT Registration. Following are the current reservation policies:
- 15% and 7.5% seats are reserved for SC and ST category candidates respectively
- 27% and 3% seats are reserved for NC-OBC and PD category candidates respectively
- For reservation under PWD category, the candidate must have at least 40% of either of the following three disabilities:
- Low Vision Blindness
- Hearing Impairment
- Loco Motor Disability/Cerebral Palsy
CAT 2018 Registration
CAT Application Form is available now. The last to fill them up is September 25. Interested candidates can apply online on iimcat.ac.in. The application process is usually a four-step process.
- Registration- Visit CAT 2018 Official Website and enter your email id, phone number, and date of birth.
- Fill CAT Application Form- This includes entering personal details, contact information, academic details, work experience, program preference and exam center preference.
- Upload Documents- Upload your scanned copies of documents such as Photograph, Signature, Category certificate and disability certificate according to CAT 2018 Photo Size, Dimension, Format and Other Details.
- Payment of Application Fee- CAT 2018 Application Fee can be paid online via net banking/credit card/debit card. Mentioned below is the category wise application fee for CAT 2018:
|Category||CAT 2018 Application Fee (in INR)|
Read about CAT Registration
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
CAT exam pattern has been always unpredictable it generally undergoes some changes each year. For CAT 2018, it is anticipated that IIM Lucknow may introduce some changes in the paper pattern.
The difficulty level of Quantitative Aptitude section may be lowered a bit this year. This may be done to encourage more non-engineers to participate in CAT exam.
Here are some highlights of CAT Exam Pattern:
- CAT is a computer-based test which consists of three sections, i.e. Quantitative Ability, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
- It is a 3-hour duration exam, where one hour is assigned for each section.
- The paper will have 100 questions of both MCQ and Non-MCQ nature.
- 72% of questions are multiple choice questions whereas the remaining 28% are non-MCQs.
- For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded +3 marks and -1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
Check Here Detailed CAT Exam Pattern
Increase in Exam Centers Expected- Last year, two test cities – Udaipur (Rajasthan) and Khanna (Punjab) were added to the list of exam centres, and the CAT exam was conducted in 138 cities across India. The highest number of exam cities were in Maharashtra (15) followed by Karnataka (14) and Uttar Pradesh (12). As there is a growing demand for including more small towns as test centres, CAT 2018 will be held in over 140 cities in India.
CAT 2018 Selection Process
- Post declaration of CAT Result in January 2018, each participating college will begin its selection rounds.
- The selection process for all participating colleges/institutions is different. Candidate will have to apply separately to all institutes in which admission is sought before their respective deadlines.
- Candidate’s eligibility will be ascertained on the basis of their CAT score, previous academic records, and work experience. Shortlisted candidates will be called to attend selection procedure.
- Subsequent to the announcement of CAT Exam 2018, IIMs will declare their own admission criteria.
- Some important facts about CAT Selection Criteria are mentioned below-
- Shortlisted candidates will have to attend selection process that involves Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) rounds.
- Older IIMs follow their individual selection process for admission to various courses offered by them.
- Newly-established IIMs conduct Common Admission Process (CAP) round.
- Individual shortlists are announced by IIMs participating in CAP.
- WAT and PI rounds for candidates under CAP are same.
- Subsequently, institute-wise merit lists will be released by IIMs depending on their admission and selection criteria.
- IIMs that have been set up during 2015-16 may conduct GD, WAT or PI rounds this year.
- Merit list will be released based on CAT percentile and candidate’s profile.
CAT Registration Trends
With the exception of the year 2013 when the number of applicants reduced by around 20,000, the number of CAT Exam applicants has increased consistently since 2010. Last year, the number of CAT applicants were over 2.32 lakhs, which broke last 7 years record. Check the table below to know the total number of applicants and test takers –
|CAT Registration Trends|
CAT 2018 Contact Details
In case candidates have any queries associated with CAT Exam, they can contact the following details to resolve them.
- Problems associated with application form, payment and document uploading can be resolved through following contact details-
Toll Free Number: 1-800-266-3549
Email Address: email@example.com
- Problems associated with eligibility, category and PWD certificate can be resolved through following contact details-
Contact Number: 080-2699 3388 / 3188
Address: CAT Centre 2018
C/o. Admissions Office
Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
Prabandh Nagar, IIM Road,
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226013
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College