CAT 2017 Admit Card, Exam Pattern and Syllabus
CAT 2017 is a qualifying exam for admission in MBA, PGDM and other PG Level management courses in India. IIM Lucknow is the conducting body of CAT 2017 and the scheduled exam date for CAT is November 26. CAT 2017 will be held in two sessions at 140 CAT exam centers
CAT Admit Card will now be available from October 25, 2017. Candidates can download it from official website till November 26. Earlier it was notified that admit card will be out on October 18. You can check details about allocated CAT exam center, roll number etc mentioned on it.
|CAT Syllabus||CAT Exam pattern||CAT Practice Papers|
CAT Form Correction- Candidates are allowed to change only limited details in CAT Application Form. Also, the option to request assistance for PwD candidates will be available on the same dates. Check Photo size dimension, signature and other format details in CAT application form
After CAT 2017, the qualified Candidates can apply for the selection process of IIMs using their CAT Score Card. (Use CAT 2017 Rank Predictor to know the colleges to apply.) It is important to note that CAT Score Card is not the only requisite to get into MBA at IIMs or other Non-IIMs and Top Management Colleges. (Find: Selection Process of Non-IIMs Top B-Schools in India) Students need to go through group discussion and personal interview round at colleges. Marks in Graduation and 10+2 are also considered as metrics for admission. Check Selection Process for IIM Ahmedabad
CAT, a computer based entrance exam is conducted for admission to post graduate MBA admission programmes. It started in 1950 with annual test takers around 2.13 lakhs every year. The CAT scores/grades are used by various IIMs and other top B-schools in India for Management admissions. Validity of CAT score card is 1 year i.e. candidates can apply only for current academic session.
As per the analysis by Collegedunia team, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning are going to be tough this year. (Check Slot Wise Paper Analysis of CAT 2016 Here) CAT 2017 aspirants may find the quant section easier than verbal section with using shortcuts they may become more easier (Read our Sure Success Shortcuts for CAT 2017) Quant Section). Candidates may find the verbal section high on difficulty level but practice with Reading Comprehension can be of help.
CAT 2017 News & Latest Alerts
CAT 2017 Exam Highlights
|CAT 2017 Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Management Lucknow (IIM Lucknow)|
|CAT 2017 Official Website||iimcat.ac.in|
|CAT 2017 Syllabus||Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency, Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning|
|CAT 2017 Exam Pattern||3 Hours (180 Minutes- 60 Minutes for Each Section)|
|CAT Exam Date 2017||November 26, 2017|
|CAT 2017 Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 50%|
|CAT Application Mode||Online|
|CAT 2017 Participating Institutes||IIMs, IITs, FMS, ISB and Other Management Institutes|
|Candidates Expected to Appear in CAT 2017||Over 2,00,000|
|Courses Offered||Admission to MBA/PGDM Courses|
|CAT Helpdesk||1800-2663-549 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
CAT 2017 Exam Dates
The registration window for CAT exam is generally 1 month. IIM Lucknow has published CAT Notification on July 29, 2017. The schedule for CAT 2017 is tabulated below-
|CAT 2017 Official Notification||July 29, 2017||IIM Lucknow will conduct CAT on Nov 26|
|Availability of CAT 2017 Application Form||August 9-September 25,2017||Last date of application is extended till Sept 25|
|Details about CAT 2017 Form Correction||September 27- September 30, 2017||CAT form correction window is open now|
|CAT Admit Card will be available from||October 18 – November 26, 2017||Download CAT admit card from iimcat.ac.in|
|CAT 2017 Exam Date||November 26, 2017||2.13 lakh candidates will take CAT on Nov 26|
|Announcement of CAT Results||Second Week of January 2018||Tentative CAT Result date is January 20, 2018|
What to Expect from CAT 2017?
CAT Exam never leaves an opportunity to baffle its test-takers. Its unpredictable nature each year gives cold feet to the candidates. The paper pattern of CAT, number of questions and duration have seen considerable variations over the years.
No change in CAT Exam Pattern 2017 is notified by IIM Lucknow as yet. However, it is expected that modification in the difficulty level will be seen.
It is also anticipated that CAT 2017 will bring along a different experience for the test-takers. It is so because IIM-L will be convening CAT for the second time this year (first one was in 2010). Trends reveal that all the IIMs who have convened CAT for the second time have totally revamped its structure and content. This is to enhance the academic and gender diversity in classrooms.
Even IIM Indore, that convened CAT 2013 and 2014, introduced many changes in the latter year. Talking about CAT 2015, organized by IIM Ahmedabad, the changes in its structure and contents were an ordeal for examinees. So much so, that IIM Indore lagged behind in the number of changes brought about by IIM Ahmedabad. Professor Tathagata Bandyopadhyay, CAT 2015 exam convener said, “Every year we review CAT and make certain changes- both operational and content.”
As per the trends of past years, experts expect CAT 2017 to surprise everyone again. Here is what CAT Exam 2017 will have in store for you:
- Some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers will have to be typed on the screen.
- Use of basic onscreen calculator for computation will be provided.
- Sectional time-limit was withdrawn in the year 2014 and then reintroduced in 2015. For CAT 2017, candidates will be allotted exactly 60 minutes to attempt each section. They do not have the option of switching sections.
- With an influx of more number of CAT test-takers, the testing window is expected to run for 2 days.
- In the year 2016, CAT was conducted in 136 cities. This year, there are 140 CAT 2017 exam cities across the nation.
- CAT exam will be held in two sessions on November 26, 2017.
- Nearly 2 lakh candidates appear for the national level entrance test each year to secure one of the approx. 4,000 seats available in 20 IIMs.
- Questions will be asked from 3 sections: Verbal Reasoning (34), Quantitative Ability (34) and Data Interpretation (32). Check Here CAT Syllabus
- After the exam, CAT Result will be announced in the second week of January 2018.
There is no central counselling held for old IIMs (B,L,A,C,K,I). Once the result is declared, candidates can start appearing for admission rounds. The Selection Process of IIMs and top MBA colleges usually starts within 15 days of result declaration. Selected candidates will then appear for Group Discussion/ Written Ability Test and Personal Interview.
What is CAT?
- Common Admission Test (CAT) is the only entrance exam for admission in MBA and PGDM programs in IIMs, IITs and IISc Bangalore in India.
- 20 IIMs and more than 130 management Institutes participate in this all India level examination.
- The exam is open to all graduates with more than 50% marks in graduation.
- There is no bar on age and the number of attempts.
- Duration of the exam is 180 minutes and consists of 100 questions.
- CAT score ranges from -75 to 300 marks and is valid for up to a year. The negative score is due to the marking scheme in the exam.
- The ratio for admission in IIMs and candidates shortlisted for selection is 1:4 but the ratio varies for different IIMs.
- Admission into IIMs is based upon CAT Score Card, 10th Marks, 12th Marks and a Group Discussion/Written Ability Test and Personal Interview round conducted at respective IIMs.
Last 5 Year Trends in CAT Exam
Candidates can check below the number of applicants who have applied for CAT and those who have actually appeared for the exam. The number of applicants has steadily increased, owing to its massive popularity among management aspirants in India as well as abroad.
CAT 2017 Eligibility Criteria
- In order to be eligible for CAT Exam, an aspirant must be a graduate degree holder in any stream.
- Candidates appearing in the final year/semester of their degree program can also apply for CAT 2017.
- The percentage requirement for the exam is different for different categories. It is explained in the table below:
|General and OBC||50%|
|Persons with Disabilities||45%|
Read More About CAT Eligibility
CAT 2017 Registration
Registration for CAT 2017 has begun from August 9, 2017 and will end on September 25, 2017. Interested candidates can apply online at iimcat.ac.in. The application process is usually a four-step process.
- Registration- Visit the official website of CAT and enter your email id, phone number, and date of birth.
- Fill CAT Application Form- This includes entering personal details, contact information, academic details, work experience, program preference and exam center preference.
- Upload Documents- Upload your scanned copies of documents such as Photograph, Signature, Category certificate and disability certificate according to CAT 2017 Photo Size, Dimension, Format and Other Details.
- Payment of Application Fee- CAT 2017 Application Fee can be paid online via net banking/credit card/debit card. Mentioned below is the category wise application fee for CAT 2017:
|Category||CAT 2017 Application Fee (in INR)|
CAT Application Form Status- After the CAT Application Form is finally submitted, an email, a pop-up message on the screen and a message on the registered mobile number are sent related to the status of the application. As the process of applying for CAT 2017 is completely online and is quick so no delay can occur during final submission.
If the application form is successfully submitted, the application status is “Successfully Submitted” else “Application Rejected”
CAT Application Form Correction- It may be possible that some of the candidates had entered incorrect details due to lack of proper information or documents. As CAT Exam is an important exam, the exam authority allows candidates to make corrections in their form. Candidates should note that they can make corrections only in few entries.
For a clearer understanding, you may take help from our PPT on CAT Registration 2017:
CAT 2017 Admit Card
- Admit Card for CAT 2017 will be available from October 18, 2017 (1:00 pm onwards).
- Candidates can obtain their CAT Admit Card in online mode only.
- Login into your candidate’s profile, using registration number and password to download CAT 2017 hall ticket.
- The admit card contains personal details and exam related details such as test venue, session.
- It is a provisional document and must be supported at the test center with a valid photo id issued by Govt of India.
How to Download CAT Admit Card?
- Visit the official website of CAT i.e. www.iimcat.ac.in.
- Click on the “Existing User” tab.
- Enter your User Id and Password.
- Click on Login.
- You will be redirected to your candidate profile.
- Click on the “Download Admit Card” button.
- Save your admit card on your system and take a print out.
CAT 2017 Exam Centers
CAT 2017 will be conducted in exam centers spread across around 140 test cities in India. Candidates are required to provide the preference of their exam centre while registering for CAT 2017.
- Preferences for up to 4 test cities can be provided in the form and CAT Exam Centers will be allotted based on these preferences.
- The time slot for CAT Examination is generally allocated randomly.
- CAT Exam Centers are available in all the major cities across India to accommodate the growing number of test-takers.
- Along with the admit card, candidates are required to carry a government-approved identification proof such as Pan Card, Voter ID, Aadhar Card etc.
CAT 2017 Exam Pattern
CAT exam pattern is unpredictable and almost every year it undergoes some changes which are not even notified before the exam. In CAT Exam 2016, no change in exam pattern was observed. It was expected that IIM Lucknow may introduce some changes in CAT Exam Pattern but as per the notification, no change is introduced. However, modification in the level of difficulty of the exam is expected.
- CAT is a computer-based test which consists of three sections, i.e. Quantitative Ability, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
- It is a 3-hour duration exam, where one hour is assigned for each section.
- The paper will have 100 questions of both MCQ and Non-MCQ nature.
- Around 70% – 75% of questions are multiple choice questions whereas the remaining 25%- 30% are non-MCQs.
- For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded +3 marks and -1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
CAT 2016 Paper Analysis
Aspirants did not spring any major surprise in CAT Exam 2016. The level of difficulty, the exam pattern was very similar as of the last year. The order of the sections was fixed with a time limit of 60 minutes each.
The following table represents the distribution of questions in each section of CAT exam-
|Section No.||Section Name||Total Number of Questions||Number of MCQs||Number of Non-MCQs (TITA Questions)|
|I||Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34||24||10|
|II||Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||32||24||8|
IIM admission closes at a very high percentile. The following table elucidates the probable score and expected percentile of CAT exam-
|Overall Attempt||VA & RC||DI & LR||QA||Probable Score||Expected Percentile|
Section 1- Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability
- There was no question based on Vocabulary and Grammar.
- RC had 3 passages with 6 questions each & 2 passages with 3 questions each and was direct in nature.
- All the Verbal Ability questions were TITA and comprised of Jumbled Paragraphs, Odd One Out and Para Summary Questions.
- Summary questions were straight forward.
- Odd Sentences Out were time-consuming
Section 2- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- It had 4 sets each of DI and LR.
- DI based questions were easier to solve than that of LR.
- The virtual calculator was very useful in some of the questions.
Section 3- Quantitative Ability
- Questions were of the moderate level of difficulty.
- The maximum number of questions were from Arithmetic and Geometry.
- Less TITA based questions (7) as compared to the year 2015 (10).
- Image of the Square Root sign in some of the questions resembled more like a PI and thus created confusion.
Check CAT Sample Papers
CAT 2017 Syllabus
CAT exam consists of three sections namely Verbal and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability. Each section is further divided into multitude of topics. The topics covered in each section for CAT exam is detailed below:
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension||Verbal reasoning, antonyms and synonyms, sentence correction, critical reasoning, fill in the blanks, syllogism, analogies, idioms|
|Data Interpretation||Area graph, Line graph, Charts (Columns, Bar, Pie), Tables, Venn diagrams|
|Logical Reasoning||Clocks and calendars, Directions, Binary Logic, Coding-decoding, Blood relations, Linear and matrix arrangement, Syllogism|
|Quantitative Ability||Number system, Geometry, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Quadratic & Linear Equation, Algebra, Permutation and Combination, Ratio & Proportion, Time & Work, Trigonometry|
Check Detailed CAT Syllabus
- CAT Result will be declared in the second week of January 2018.
- The result will be announced in the form of score card.
- Candidates can check their results on the official website of IIM CAT.
- The scorecard contains the sectional and overall score obtained by candidates in CAT Exam.
- Based on the number of participants and average percentile scored, IIMs determine their individual cutoff.
- On the basis of cut off, candidates will be called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview rounds.
How to check CAT 2017 Result?
- Go to the official website at iimcat.ac.in.
- Click on Download Score Card section.
- Click on the “Existing User button”.
- Enter your User ID and Password.
- Click on Download Score Card link and download it.
Check Your CAT Result
CAT 2017 Percentile Predictor
- CAT Result will be declared in January and candidates can check their score on the official website.
- However, candidates can use the CAT Percentile Predictor on Collegedunia.com to determine the ranks based on their respective percentiles.
- All the participating institutes release cut-offs for next rounds.
- They shortlist the candidates on the basis CAT percentile scores.
- Candidates can predict their scores using the Collegedunia percentile predictor provided below. It is an easy way to predict your scores beforehand, and choose a college accordingly.
CAT 2017 Cut off
After the results are declared, each IIM will declare a separate cut off list for shortlisting candidates for the selection procedure. The cut off comprises an overall cut off and a sectional cut off. Sectional cut off is the percentile score a candidate must score in each section to qualify the exam. The overall cut off for the IIMs generally falls in the bracket of 90-99 percentile.
According to National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), IIM Ahmedabad bags the top rank among Indian Management Institutes. The organizing authority of CAT 2016, IIM Bangalore was ranked first in NIRF 2016 Ranking and now it is at the second position. Only private management institute XLRI Jamshedpur is among top 10 management institutes.
CAT 2017 Expected Cut Off for IIMs
|IIM||CAT Cut off in Percentile|
The following table represents a list of institutes based on CAT Cut off where we have classified IIMs and B-schools on the basis of the level of cutoffs from previous years’ trends-
|Rating||Level (Approx. CAT cut-off Percentiles for General)||Institutes|
|A+||I (CAT Percentile 98.5+)||IIM-A, IIM-B, IIM-C, IIM-L, IIM-I, IIM-K, IIM-S, FMS, MDI-PGPM, IIT- B, JBIMS|
|II (CAT Percentile 96.5+)||SPJIMR, IIT-D, NITIE-PGDIM, MDI-PGP HR/IM, IIM-RH, IIM-RN, IIM-RP, IIM-KS, IIM-UP, IIM-T|
|III (CAT Percentile 94.5+)||IIT-KH, IIT-KN, IIT-M, IIT-R, IISc-B, IIM-BG, IIM-N, IIM-V, IIM-Asr, IIM-Sam, IIM-Srm, MDI-M, IIM-A (ABM), IIM-L (ABM)|
|A||I (CAT Percentile 90+)||MICA, IMT-G/N, IMI-D, FSM, IRMA, TAPMI, KJSIMSR, UBS-CHD, SPJAIN-D/S, BIM, NIRMA, PUMBA|
|II (CAT Percentile 87+)||WIMDR-M, LBSIM, LIBA, IMI-K/B, GLIM, BIMTECH-PGDM/IB, IBS-ICFAI, MFC-DU, IFMR, MIB-DU, MHROD-DU, IMT-H|
|III(CAT Percentile 85+)||MISB, ISBM-P, AJKMCRC, WIMDR-B, BIMTECH-Retail/Insurance, IIFM, MBE-DU|
Read About CAT Marks Vs percentile
2017 Selection Procedure
- After the declaration of CAT results and cut offs, shortlisted candidates appear in the selection process which is held separately by each of the IIMs (only old IIMs).
- The selection procedure of CAT may consist of a Group Discussion and/or Written Ability Test round and Personal Interview.
- For shortlisting candidates for GD/PI round, along with CAT Score candidate’s academic work and relevant work experience will be also taken into account.
- In recent years, IIMs have been known to prefer Written Ability Test over Group Discussion. Check GD/PI Tips for CAT 2017
- Personal Interview is also an important part of the selection procedure and can prove to be a decisive factor in selection to IIMs.
- Apart from IIMs, other participating institutes also conduct selection process comprising GD/WAT and PI.
- The final selection is based on performance in CAT and selection procedure rounds. Here is a brief about all of them:
- Written Ability Test comprises of one or more topics on which a candidate is required to write a brief essay. The time duration assigned to write an essay on the given topic varies for different IIMs and can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Group Discussion round is less preferred these days but it is wise to prepare for this round as well. In this round, a group of 8-10 candidates is given a topic to discuss. Through this round, a candidate’s performance and group dynamics are assessed.
- Personal Interview round is the final round. In this round, a candidate has to appear before a panel of 4-8 interviewers who test the candidate on their academic background, work experience, hobbies, interests etc.
Check Out Institute wise CAT Selection Process
CAT 2017 Reservation
All the 20 IIMs follow reservation policy laid out by the government of India. The reserved categories in CAT as described in the official notification are mentioned below in the table. In the case of seats reserved for PwD or DA candidates, following is the definition of disability as described in Section 39 of PWD Act of 1995.
- Candidates with low-vision blindness
- Candidates with hearing impairment
- Candidates with loco-motor disability/ Cerebral Palsy
Candidates who suffer from these disabilities to the extent of not less than 40% are eligible for reservation under this category. There is a predefined norm for the percentage of seats for the reserved categories. The table given below describes the percentage of seats reserved for each category.
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes – Non-creamy layer (NC-OBC)||27%|
|Persons with Disability(PwD)/Differently Abled (DA)||3%|
Required Documents for Reserved Categories
Candidates who apply under the reserved categories must upload the scanned copy of the following certificates at the time of filling the form. On selection for Personal Interview and admission, a candidate is required to produce a photocopy and original of these certificate before the assigned authority.
CAT 2017 Participating Colleges
CAT Exam is conducted mainly for admission to MBA/PGDM programs offered at 20 IIMs. Apart from IIMs, other top management institutes like FMS, MDI, NTIE, SP Jain, Department of Management Studies at IITs, Manipal University, ITM Delhi, Chandigarh University and over 115 management B-schools also accept CAT score as qualifying criteria for their management programs. Check Here CAT Participating Institutes
Courses Offered through CAT 2017
On the basis of CAT score, candidates can take admission to the following courses offered by 20 IIMs and other top B-schools in India:
|Different Courses Offered by IIMs|
|PGPEM (Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management)||PGP-UAE (Post Graduate Programme at UAE)|
|PGPBM (Post Graduate Programme in Business Management)||PGP-ABM (Post Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management)|
|PGP (Post Graduate Programme)||PGP-Mumbai (Post Graduate Programme at Mumbai)|
|PGPWE (Post Graduate Programme for Working Executive)||PGPEX (Post Graduate Programme forfimg Executives)|
|PGPPM (Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy and Management)||PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)|
|EPGPM (Executive Post Graduate Programme)||PGDHRM (Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management)|
|PGPSM (Post Graduate Programme in Securities Markets)||-|
We wish all of you the best of luck for your CAT Exam attempt. We also hope that the most deserving candidates fetch a seat in any one of the CAT Score Accepting Institutes. Make sure you are thorough with CAT Preparation, Syllabus and Pattern and you are good to go!