NMAT by GMAC
NMAT will be held between October- December 2017. It is conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) each year. As per NMAT Eligibility, a candidate must be below 25 years of age and possess a full-time Bachelor’s degree with 50% marks as aggregate.
Here are some key points about NMAT 2017:
- NMAT Registration is open now. Candidates can register themselves till October 3 at nmat.org.in. They must enter all their personal/ academic information, upload their recent photograph and pay the application fee to complete the registration process.
- Post registrations, candidates can proceed towards scheduling process, to choose their preferred test date and time.
- NMAT 2017 will be conducted between 1st week of October to 3rd week of December 2017.
- It is an online exam of 2 hours. Objective questions will be asked from Language Skills, Quantitative Skills, and Logical Skills.Check NMAT Exam Pattern
- As for NMAT Marking Scheme, each question carries 1 mark and there is no provision for negative marking.
- NMAT 2017 Result is expected to be declared in January 2017. Check NMAT Results
Based NMAT Cut off, that generally ranges between 200-208, candidates will be eligible to take admission to various NMAT Participating Institutes like Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Study (NMIMS), Amity, Thapar, BML Munjal, VIT, etc. Last year, a record-breaking number of 82,928 candidates registered for NMAT by GMAC 2016. This accounts for 17% growth in NMAT registrations as compared to last year.
NMAT Selection Procedure will be based on mainly 3 steps viz. clearing the NMAT entrance examination, Case Discussion and Personal Interview. On the premise of academic performance, NMAT marks, work experience, Case Discussion and Personal Interview, the final merit list will be prepared. On the basis of the final merit list, candidates will be awarded one of the seats.
What is new in NMAT 2017?
- 20 new exam centres added for the ease of candidates.
- 4 international test centres (Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh & Srilanka) also added for increased access.
- GMAC now provides multiple login methods viz. Facebook, Google, One Time Password (OTP) and Previous Year Credentials.
- Additional payment methods added viz. International credit card, UPI.
- GMAC has improved this year’s NMATPrep, its official preparation material.
Highlights of NMAT
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of Examination||Online|
|NMAT Test Cities||44 Indian cities and 4 International cities|
|NMAT Participating Institutes||20 Universities (23 Institutes)|
|Candidates Expected to Appear in NMAT by GMAC 2017||Over 80,000|
|NMAT Help Desk||09213027791 / 09213027792|
NMAT 2017 Exam Dates
NMAT is a prominent exam for securing admission in Narsee Monjee and other management programs of top B-schools in India. Candidates should carefully note down the important NMAT 2017 exam dates as the process spreads over several months and thus allows more flexibility for candidates to schedule & take the test. All the important dates of NMAT by GMAC are indicated in the table below.
|Dates of NMAT 2017 Registration||July 04, 2017 - October 03, 2017|
|Dates of NMAT 2017 Scheduling||July 04, 2017 - October 14, 2017|
|Dates of Late Registration||October 04, 2017 - October 12, 2017|
|Dates of NMAT 2017 Registration - Retake||October 08, 2017 - December 15, 2017|
|Last date for NMAT 2017 Rescheduling||December 17, 2017|
|Last date to appear for NMAT 2017||December 20, 2017|
|Last date for Re-take scheduling of NMAT 2017||December 17, 2017|
|NMAT Result 2017 will be declared on||January 17, 2018|
NMAT 2017 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates applying for NMAT by GMAC should carefully go through NMAT Eligibility Criteria. In case the candidates fail to fulfill any of these criteria, they are liable to be disqualified from appearing in the exam or participating in any subsequent process. The eligibility criteria for NMAT is indicated below:
- The upper age limit for taking part in NMAT is 25 years.
- Candidates should have passed a full-time Bachelor’s degree (10+2+3/4) from a recognized University in any discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their first attempt.
- Those who have completed their graduation through part time, distance learning or correspondence mode are not eligible to appear in NMAT.
- Candidates who are currently appearing for the final examination of their full time Bachelor’s degree are also eligible to apply. Provisional admission will be granted to candidates in such scenarios.
- Any international candidate willing to apply must have a full-time Bachelor degree (10+2+3/4) in any discipline from any recognized University with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in the first attempt.
- The applicants must also have a valid GMAT score of six hundred and above (the GMAT score for last three years up to October 2017 will be taken into consideration).
- International candidates having more then 2 years of post qualification experience will be preferred.
- All the admissions for international candidates is subject to them getting clearance from the candidate’s government (if required) and a student visa from the Indian Embassy in the candidate’s country.
Check complete NMAT Eligibility
NMAT Registration 2017
- NMAT 2017 Registration can be done between July 04, 2017 - October 03, 2017.
- NMAT Application Form can only be filled online.
- Candidates planning to register for NMAT 2017 should visit the official website i.e. nmat.org.in.
- The steps for NMAT Registration are mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of NMAT.
- Create an account with a valid email address.
- Provide contact information, personal, educational and work experience, the list of programs to send scores, and the ID that you will use at the test center.
- Enter your name and date of birth exactly as indicated on the primary and secondary ID.
- Select schools where you wish to send your result. This will be under the "Programme Details" section.
- Select up to 7 programs which is included in their registration fee. Additional fee of INR 200 + applicable taxes is applicable for each program added over and above 7 programs.
- The photograph must have resemblance to the candidate and to the photograph on the primary ID. This photograph is included on the admit card.
- Pay the registration fee.
NOTE: Candidates seeking help for NMAT Registration can send an email to email@example.com.
NMAT 2017 Application Fee
The application fee for NMAT by GMAC varies according to different processes. Read them below:
|NMAT Application Fee|
|Registration Fee without late fee||INR 1800|
|Registration Fee with late fee||INR 2000|
|Pre- Reschedule||INR 1000|
|Additional Score Reports (beyond first seven)||INR 200 per Score Report|
Candidates can make payment through Master Card/Visa Card/Debit Card/American Express/Diners Club/Net Banking & Demand Draft. The DD will be made in favour of Graduate Management Global Connection (India) Private Limited payable at Gurgaon. Candidates, those pay the fee through DD have to send it to the given address:
6708, DLF Phase IV,
Gurgaon – 122 002
Phone: 092130 27791/ 92
Late Registration for NMAT 2017
Candidates who are not able to register within the Registration window period, can register from October 04 to October 12, 2017. Only the fields of “Program selection” and “Candidate Preference” can be edited after paying the Registration Fee. Candidates should check all the details carefully after filling-in the application form as no changes will be entertained after submission.
NMAT 2017 Scheduling Process
Candidates who have successfully registered themselves for NMAT 2017 and paid the requisite application fee, can schedule the appointments for taking the test. Details related to schedule a slot are given below:
- The username and password required for scheduling the test will be mailed 24 hours after the payment has been made and processed.
- Candidates have an option to pick their preferred date, time (slot) and center, based on a first come first serve basis.
- Candidates have an option to schedule only one test attempt at a time. (The preferred date, slot and center if the other applicants have already taken that test slot earlier).
- The scheduling window would be available from Jul 04, 2017 to Oct 03, 2017 for all the registered candidates.
- Candidates would receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE after scheduling the test center name and address, the test date and start time of the test.
- Those who don’t receive the confirmation emails within 24 hours of scheduling a test can call helpdesk number on 09213027791/09213027792 – Monday to Friday (except public holidays - 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM IST) to get support.
- Candidates who don’t appear for the test will be marked “No Show” for that particular refund.
- Candidates can retake the test twice. So, in total candidates can take the test at least 3 times in an admission cycle.
- You can register for a retake 15 or more days after your most recent date of attempt.
- This means you will have to wait at least 15 calendar days before you can appear for a retake.
- You can schedule your test any time during the retake scheduling window (subject to real time availability).
- You will be able to select any slot that is a minimum of 24 hours later than the time you schedule your appointment.
Read about NMAT Retake
NMAT 2017 Admit Card
- Candidates appearing for NMAT by GMAC should download NMAT Admit Card from first week of September, 2017.
- NMAT Admit Card will be uploaded on the official website. Candidates will not be intimated on the issuance of the admit cards.
- The Admit card for NMAT will be available for download from the registered log-in after they have received the email confirming successful registration and payment receipt.
- NMAT Admit Card is a mandatory document for appearing in test. It will contain details such as the candidate’s name, date of birth, exam centre, photograph etc.
- In case candidates don’t receive NMAT 2017 admit card, they should contact NMAT helpdesk (09213027791 / 09213027792) immediately.
How To Download NMAT Admit Card?
Follow the below steps to download the admit card for NMAT 2017.
- Go to the official website of NMAT i.e. nmat.org.in.
- Click on the link to download NMAT Admit Card.
- Login through your ID and Password provided at the time of application process.
- The admit card for NMAT 2017 will appear on the screen.
- Print and preserve a hard copy for further use.
NMAT 2017 Test Centers
- NMAT will be conducted at 32 test centers across 23 cities in India.
- Candidates have to confirm the test center, date and time slot on the basis of real-time availability while scheduling NMAT.
- GMAC reserves the final right to allot test centers to candidates.
The NMAT Exam centers are given in the below table:
NMAT Test Centers in India
|North||Chandigarh, Delhi, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Lucknow, Noida|
|South||Bengaluru, Chennai, Kochi, Hyderabad|
|West||Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Vadodara|
|East||Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Jamshedpur, Kolkata, Patna|
|Central||Bhillai, Bhopal, Indore|
NMAT Test Centers Outside India
NMAT 2017 Exam Pattern
- NMAT will be a Computer Based Test (CBT). Candidates must carefully go through NMAT Exam Pattern for planning their exam preparation strategy.
- Every candidate is provided with a randomly created test from a pool of questions.
- The number of questions, difficulty level and the time limit for each section is always same regardless of the when or where the test is conducted.
- The total duration of NMAT will be 2 hours. Candidates have the flexibility to select the order/sequence of the test sections.
- NMAT 2017 will be divided into 3 sections - Language Skills, Quantitative Skills and Logical Reasoning. The structure of these 3 sections is explained below.
|Language Skills||32 questions||22 minutes|
|Quantitative Skills||48 questions||60 minutes|
|Logical Reasoning||40 questions||38 minutes|
|Total||120 questions||120 minutes|
Read about NMAT Exam Pattern
All the candidates must give the answers and review them within the allotted time for every individual section indicated in the table above. Candidates must ensure that they have reviewed the particular section before moving on to the next section because all the answers are considered final by the server after the candidate closes out the section.
Marking Scheme in NMAT
- Candidates have to answer total 120 questions in 120 minutes.
- They will be awarded +1 mark for every correct response and there will be no negative marking in NMAT by GMAC.
- Every individual section has its own allotted time. Candidates can choose the sequence in which to attempt the each individual section.
NMAT 2017 Syllabus
The syllabus of NMAT 2017 is divided into three sections - language sections, quantitative skills and logical reasoning. Read them below:
Language usage and their rules, Para jumble, Syntax and correct grammar, Vocabulary, Fill in the blanks, Idioms, Reading comprehension, Anonyms, and Synonyms
|Quantitative Skills||Data interpretation, problem-solving, data sufficiency, arithmetic, geometry, modern mathematics, algebra and number systems|
|Logical Reasoning||Family tree, arrangement, numeric grid, coding and series|
Read complete NMAT Syllabus
NMAT Preparation Tips
NMAT is considered as one of the challenging tests to get into top B- Schools of India. With the ticking clock and the D-day getting closer, all the NMAT 2017 aspiring candidates appearing this year are getting tensed about the entrance examination. Candidates often make the mistake of studying without planning. There is no need to panic at all. One can prepare for NMAT by GMAC with a planned schedule and some simple tricks. Some of the useful NMAT 2017 Preparation Tips are given below:
1. Avoid Learning New Things
Do not waste your time in learning new things at the last moment. It will only bring confusion and hence complicate the study-plan. The topics you’ve read should be revised in during this time so that you don’t forget the rules. Keep crawling through your notes and don’t stress your brain with the new topics. The things that you haven’t studied before will bring your moral down. That’s all you need. Revise the notes you made and enhance your strong sections.
2. Take Regular Tests
Candidates must take as many NMAT mock test as possible. Regular mock tests familiarize candidates with the NMAT 2017 Exam Pattern. This precious time should not be wasted in mugging up things but understanding the concepts. There are many sources that provide practice tests. Taking up the NMAT 2017 mocks will make you confident about taking the actual NMAT by GMAC 2017. While practicing, you can also check for the silly mistakes and do improvement over it.
3. Plan Your Study
Keep your study-plan light and strike a balance between work and play. Give yourself treats. Do not make the preparation sessions stressful. Enhance your strong areas and work equally on the weaker sections.
NMAT 2017 Result
- NMAT 2017 Result will be declared in January 2018 at GMAC Official Website.
- The window-wise results are generally declared after 4-5 weeks of appearing in the NMAT Exam.
- The final Percentile for NMAT 2017 would be considered for offering admissions to the candidates.
- The NMAT 2017 scorecard would contain details of the score secured by the candidate in the 3 sections of the exam.
- The percentile details of each section would be provided and three types of percentile will form the part of NMAT 2017 result.
Read about NMAT Results
NMAT 2017 Score Card
NMAT score card will contain the following details:
- Scaled Score for each Section
- A total score
- A percentile ranking
The tabulated score in each section will include score within the defined limit:
|Sections in NMAT 2017||Score Range for NMAT 2017|
|Quantitative skill section NMAT 2017||0-144|
|Language skill section NMAT 2017||0-96|
|Logical skill section NMAT 2017||0-120|
NMAT 2017 Cut Off
- NMAT 2017 Cut off will be released course-wise and category-wise for each college.
- All NMAT Participating Colleges will be declaring their individual cutoff.
- By cutoff we mean, the least percentile that they will decide after considering various factors and based on which they will select candidates for granting admission.
- Candidates who clear NMAT cutoff and fulfill other eligibility criteria will be offered admissions in various courses.
The cutoff score for various sections and total cutoff score is mentioned below. The cutoff scores for various programs have remained constant during the last few years.
Expected NMAT 2017 Cut Off
|Course||Language Skills (96)||Quantitative Techniques (144)||Logical Reasoning (120)||Overall Cut off (360)|
|MBA Program/ MBA Banking/ MBA Capital Market/ MBA HR||55||74||61||208|
|MBA Pharmaceutical Management||50||50||50||169|
Check detailed NMAT Cut Off
Number of Available Seats
|Name of the program||Number of Seats|
|MBA- Two year full time programme having concentration in either Finance, Information Systems, Marketing or Operations & Decision Sciences||500|
|MBA Human Resource||60|
|MBA Pharmaceutical Management||60|
|PGDM- Bengaluru Campus||120|
|PGDBM- Hyderabad Campus||60|
NMAT Accepting Institutes
Candidates qualifying NMAT 2017 will be eligible to take admission into any of the following NMAT Colleges. NMAT is accepted by the following leading institutions and this list is growing. Pursuing a management degree at one of these institutions makes the pursuit of your dreams much easier.
|SVKM's NarseeMonjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad|
|SRM University ||Kattankulathur Campus, Chennai, Ramapuram Campus, Chennai,Ramapuram Part - II Vadapalani Campus, Chennai, NCR Campus, Delhi|
|BML Munjal University||Gurgaon|
|VIT University||Chennai, Vellore|
|ICFAI Business School (IBS)||Dehradun, Tripura, Sikkim, Hyderabad, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Jharkhand, Raipur, Jaipur, Himachal Pradesh|
|Mody University||Lakshmangarh in Rajasthan|
|Shoolini University||Solan-Rajgarh-Kumarhatti Highway|
|Thapar School of Management||Mohali|
|Woxsen School of Business Management||Hyderabad|
Read more about NMAT Accepting Institutes
NMAT 2017 Selection Process
NMAT Selection Procedure for Management aspirants is based on 3 steps:
- Clearing NMAT
- Case discussion
- Personal interview
- Candidates selected will be able to check and download their call letter from the NMIMS website i.e. nmims.edu. The call letters for the selection procedure is not mailed individually.
- A candidate’s academic work, work experience, NMAT score, Case discussion and Personal Interview would be considered for preparing the final merit list.
- The Personal Interview and the case discussion will be conducted at Mumbai and Bangalore.
- It is meant to judge candidate’s knowledge of the diverse topics, confidence, ability to counter pressure, etc.
- The case discussion is like a group discussion where the candidates will asked to discuss on a case for 15-20 minutes.
- Candidates will be then shortlisted for a personal interview on the basis of their performance in case discussion.
Read more about NMAT Selection Process
What is NMAT?
NMAT is an entrance test, considered by NMIMS and some other participating institutes too, for admission into various courses of Business Management Studies. It allows two retakes (i.e. 3 attempts in all) to students who wish to improve their scores. In such cases, the best of three scores will be considered by NMIMS for admissions. There has to be a gap of at least 15 days between two successive attempts. The result for each attempt is declared separately, approximately 15 days after the test attempt.
NMAT Test Takers’ Statistics
NMAT has one of the most diverse candidate pools interested in an MBA or related degree, as compared to any other test in India. With good representation by gender, undergraduate degree and geographic location, the NMAT applicant pool gives an ideal mix of students that the corporate recruiters desire. The charts below give a sense of diversity of the test taker pool.
- Gender Distribution- As per the statistics of last year, NMAT was majorly taken by males (61.87%) than females (38.09%). About 0.4% candidates belonged to the third gender.
- Bachelor’s Degree Representation- As per the data, candidates with an Engineering degree (58%), appear for NMAT the most. Then, candidates with a degree in commerce (34%) become the second highest test takers fof NMAT.
- Geographical Representation-
- As far as the geographical statistics are concerned, candidates from the Western region of India, appear for NMAT the most. They account for nearly 34.46% of the total test takers. Then, candidates from North account for the second highest i.e. 33.65%.
Why Take NMAT?
NMAT Score accepted by the leading management institutions in India.
Measures the skills needed to succeed in business school.
Designed to give you confidence to perform to the best of your ability
Designed for your convenience (choosing date and time, self-scheduling, multiple test centres, etc.)
Ques. When will the NMAT exam be offered for admission session 2017-18?
Ans. NMAT for the academic session 2017-18 will be offered in a testing window from Oct 7, 2017 to Dec 20, 2017.
Ques. Can a test taker review questions and /or sections?
Ans. Yes, a test taker can review the sections of the exam within the allotted section time. The Review Screen at the end of every section will allow the test taker to either move directly to incomplete (unanswered) questions, flagged for review questions or review all or any questions. Once a test taker has moved ahead from one section to the next section, he/she will not be able to return to the previous section. Hence, test takers should complete (answering and reviewing) each of the three sections in their respective allotted time limits.
Ques. If a test taker completes answering and reviewing a section before the allotted section time completion, does the balance time get added to the next section(s)?
Ans. No, one cannot add balance time of one section to the other. If a test taker completes answering and reviewing a section before the allotted section time expires, he/she may choose either to revise the section or move to the next section, but the balance time cannot be added on to the next section timing.
Ques. What is the advantage of having a 75-day window to test?
Ans. The 75-day window enables the assessment of a test taker’s best performance and at the same time reduces the stress associated with a single sitting test or test offered in a short time window. The longer test window provides the test takers flexibility to take the test when they are best prepared and avoid conflicts with other life events. The test takers will also get the convenience to reschedule the test in case of any exigency. The longer window also provides the test taker with the opportunity to retake the test (maximum 3 attempts, including "No Show") in case they feel that their performance was impaired on the test day for any reason or if they feel they can improve their performance in retake attempt.
Ques. How many times can a test taker take NMAT?
Ans. A test taker can take the NMAT up to a maximum of 3 times (first attempt plus 2 retake attempts) including no shows, if he/she wishes to.
Ques. Are there any breaks during the test?
Ans. There are no scheduled breaks in the test. However, test takers can take unscheduled breaks if they want during the test session. An unscheduled break means a break during which the test clock does not stop. If a test taker chooses to take a break, the actual time spent on the break will be deducted from the time allocated to complete the test. No extra time will be given to complete the test. During the break, the test taker must leave the testing room. Upon re-entering the testing room, the test taker must show a valid ID.
Ques. What is the rationale behind allowing test takers to test multiple times?
Ans. Test takers have the option to take the NMAT exam a maximum choice of three times during the 75-day testing window. This option enables the assessment of the test takers’ best performance.
Ques. What does scaled scores and percentile scores mean?
Ans.Scaled scores - All the test forms are equated to account for any differences in overall difficulty and the raw test scores are placed on a common scale. This is done to ensure scores are comparable across test forms such that the scores are not impacted by different test takers getting different test forms.
Percentile scores - The percentile rank or score shows how a test taker scored when compared to all other test takers who took the exam (e.g. all test takers who took the NMAT exam). For example, if a test taker is said to be at the 75th percentile, the test taker scored better than 75% of the test takers who took the NMAT exam.
Ques. Does the "First come First serve" principle apply to Registration or Scheduling or both?
Ans. "First come First serve" principle applies to both registration and scheduling. The earlier one registers and makes payment, the earlier will be able to schedule the test. And the earlier one schedules the test, higher are the chances of getting preferred date, time and test location.
Ques. What is the difference between Registration and Scheduling?
Ans. Registration means filling the online registration application and making the requisite payment on www.nmat.org.in Scheduling means test takers scheduling their test for a certain date, time and centre.