NIFT 2017 Admit Card, Exam Pattern and Syllabus
NIFT 2017 (National Institute of Fashion Technology) entrance exam is scheduled on February 12, 2017. The Registration Process for NIFT Exam has now concluded. Eligible candidates will be issued their NIFT Admit Card on January 21, 2017 via online mode only.
NIFT is a national level exam organized by National Institute of Fashion Technology. The NIFT entrance exam 2017, consists of 2 written exams- CAT (Creative Aptitude Test) and GAT (General Ability Test). Before preparing for the exam, a candidate should know about NIFT Syllabus. Both the test will be conducted via offline mode, wherein, CAT will be of 3 hours and GAT will be of 2 hours.
NIFT 2017 Exam Dates
The NIFT Application Form 2017 process ended on January 16, 2017 (with late fee). Candidates can go through the table given below to know about the NIFT exam dates.
|NIFT Admission Form 2017 last date||January 10, 2017|
|NIFT Admission Form (with late fee of Rs. 5000/-) last date||January 16, 2017|
|NIFT Admit Card 2017 (Online)||January 21, 2017|
|Written Exam Date of NIFT 2017||February 12, 2017|
|NIFT Situation Test/ Group Discussion/ Interview||April- May, 2017|
|Declaration of NIFT Result 2017||End of May/ June, 2017|
|NIFT Counselling 2017||June 2017 onwards|
Read More:NIFT 2017 Exam Dates
What is NIFT?
- NIFT stands for National Institute of Fashion Technology is an elite fashion Institute of Design, Management & Technology.
- It is an institute that holds an entrance exam every year for candidates seeking admission in various UG and PG programmes offered at various NIFT Campus.
- NIFT has 15 campuses at Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Jodhpur, Kangra, Kannur, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna, Raebareli and Shillong.
- NIFT will be conducted on February 12, 2017 and last date for applying is on January 10, 2017.
- The NIFT Admission will be based on the NIFT Written Exam score and performance in NIFT Situation Test and GDPI.
|NIFT Exam Pattern||NIFT Syllabus||NIFT Application Form||NIFT Cut off|
NIFT 2017 Eligibility Criteria
The entrance exam is held for various UG and PG Programmes. Hence, the NIFT eligibility criteria for each of the programme is also different. Candidates applying for programmes in fashion technology and designing field should carefully go through the NIFT Eligibility.
NIFT Undergraduate Programmes
For B.Des. Programme
The courses offered for 4 years under this programme are as follows:
- Accessory Design
- Fashion Communication
- Fashion Design
- Knitwear Design
- Leather Design
- Textile Design
The basic eligibility for a candidate under this programme is that a candidate should have passed 10+2 class from a recognised Board of Education.
For B.F.Tech Programme
The course offered under this programme for 4 years is Apparel Production. The basic eligibility criteria for a candidate is that he/ she should have passed 10+2 class with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from a recognised Board of Education.
General Eligibility for both the UG Programmes
- Candidates from General Category maximum age should be 23 years as on October 01, 2016.
- Candidates from Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Differently Abled Person (PHP) will be given 5 Years relaxation.
- Candidate should have passed 10+2 examination from a recognized education board of India.
- Candidates who have successfully cleared 3- 4 Year diploma which is recognized by AICTE or State Board of Technical Education are also eligible to apply for NIFT 2017.
- For the candidates applying for Apparel Production, having Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in 12th standard is important.
NIFT Postgraduate Programmes
For M.Des. Programme
The course under this programme is Design Space. The basic requirement for any interested candidate is, one should possess a Bachelor Degree from any Institute/ University recognised by law in India. Or should have a Diploma of minimum 3 years duration in UG Design from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) or National Institute of Design (NID).
For M.F.M Programme
In this programme, a candidate should have a Bachelor Degree from any Institute/ University recognised by law in India or Undergraduate Diploma of minimum 3 years duration from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) or National Institute of Design (NID).
For M.F.Tech Programme
For this, it is important for a candidate to have done Bachelor of Fashion Techology (B.F.Tech.) from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) or Bachelor of Engineering (B.E )/ Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) from any Institute / University recognized by law in India.
General Eligibility for PG Programmes:
- There is no age bar for NIFT 2017 Postgraduate Courses for the candidates.
- For M.Des and M.F.M programme, candidates are required to possess a bachelor degree. They should make sure that the degree is from a recognized University.
- For M.F. Tech course, candidates should have cleared B.F.Tech. from NIFT or B. E/ B.Tech from any University/ Institute recognized by law of India.
- The candidates who appeared for NIFT and cleared the same successfully are also eligible to appear for the exam.
It is important for all the interested candidates to meet the eligibility standards. If they fail to meet the standards, they will not be allowed to give the entrance exam of NIFT 2017.
Read More:NIFT Eligibility 2017
NIFT 2017 Admission Form
NIFT Application Form filling for admission to various UG and PG programmes ends today (January 10, 2017). Candidates can apply for admission to NIFT 2017 through online mode only. Candidates should go through the NIFT Eligibility 2017 before filling the Form.
Login to the NIFT Official site to apply for admissions to various courses offered at NIFT Colleges. The candidates should visit the website and click on ‘Apply Now’. They can follow the steps mentioned below to complete the Application process.
- The NIFT Application Fee is different for all the categories. For General/OBC (Non- Creamy) Category- Rs. 1500/- and for SC/ST/PHP category- Rs. 750/-.
- Candidates have to pay Rs.5000/- in case of late registration.
- Candidates can check the status of their NIFT Application Form by visiting the official website of NIFT 2017.
Read More: NIFT 2017 Application Form
NIFT 2017 Exam Pattern
The NIFT Entrance Exam is conducted for evaluating a candidate on different parameters like aptitude, skills and knowledge about the field. For this, the NIFT exam is usually divided into four sections which are:
- Creative ability test (CAT)
- General ability test (GAT)
- Situation test
- Group discussion/ Personal Interview
The NIFT Exams- CAT and GAT will be conducted in an offline mode (pen-paper based). The questions are to be answered in English. GAT exam for B.Des. and M.Des. is of 2 hours (120 minutes) and for B.F.Tech and M.F.Tech and for M.F.M is of 3 hours (180 minutes).
Read More: NIFT Exam Pattern
What is CAT in NIFT?
CAT (Creative Ability Test) is held to check a candidate’s skills in sketching, adeptness in use of colors and inventiveness is tested. Also, the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability is examined.
Time Duration: 03 hours (180 minutes)
Maximum Mark: 100 marks
Note: Candidate is required to attempt all the questions. Also, water colors can not be used in the exam.
What is GAT in NIFT?
GAT (General Ability Test) exam is held to check a candidate’s general skills and knowledge in subjects- Quantitative ability, Communication Ability, English Comprehension, Analytical Ability and General Knowledge & Current Affairs.
Time Duration:02 hours (120 minutes)
Maximum Marks: 100 marks
The candidates who qualify in the written examination will also appear for NIFT Situation Test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview as per the requirement of the course.
What is Situation Test in NIFT?
This exam is designed to evaluate and test a candidate’s skills for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation with a given set of materials.
Time Duration: 03 hours (180 minutes)
Maximum Marks: 100 marks
Also, candidates can refer to the NIFT entrance exam Sample Papers to practice and test their progress.
Check:NIFT Practice Papers
NIFT Admit Card 2017
NIFT Admit Card is available for download on the official website of NIFT. Candidates will not receive the Admit Cards via post. Hence, candidates are required to download it online. NIFT Admit Card is a necessary document for appearing in the NIFT 2017 Entrance Exam.
How to Download NIFT Admit Card 2017?
Candidates can download the NIFT Admit card on January 21, 2017 (1 pm). The candidates are advised to follow the steps below to download their NIFT Admit card.
- Candidates should make sure to verify the details mentioned on their NIFT Admit Card 2017. In case of any discrepancy, they should contact:- NIFT Campus, Hauz Khas, Near Gulmohar Park, New Delhi. T: (011) 26867704, 26542148/49/59; F: (011) 26542151.
- Also, they should make sure to save the soft copy of the Admit Card.
NIFT 2017 Selection Procedure
The selection procedure for NIFT 2017 UG and PG admissions involve various special tests for selection. The successful applicants for Bachelor of Design (B. Des) course have to appear for the Situation Test. For admission in Masters in Fashion Technology (M. F. Tech.) and Masters in Fashion Management (MFM), candidates will appear for Group Discussion (GD)/Personal Interview (PI) on the basis of GAT score.
For admission to Masters in Design (M. Des), candidates will appear for GD/PI on the basis of CAT and GAT score. Candidates applying for B.F. Tech. will be selected on the basis of GAT score. Weightage for selection in different courses is mentioned in the table below.
|Bachelor of Design||CAT||50%|
|Master of Design||CAT||40%|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology||GAT||100%|
|Master of Fashion Technology||GAT||70%|
|Master of Fashion Management||GAT||70%|
Read More:Selection Procedure of NIFT 2017
NIFT Result 2017
The tentative date for declaration of NIFT Results 2017 will be in the final week of May/ June, 2017. Candidates can check their results on the official website of NIFT 2017. The steps for checking the final result of NIFT 2017 admissions is explained below.
- Visit the official site of NIFT- nift.ac.in
- Click on the Result Link
- Candidates are required to enter any two of the following details - Roll Number, Date of Birth and Application Number.
- Verify all the details indicated In the NIFT 2017 Result
- Download and take printout of NIFT 2017 Result
NOTE: The candidates should contact the NIFT office in case of any discrepancy in the information mentioned on NIFT 2017 Rank Card.
NIFT Cut Off
The Participating Institutes under NIFT will release their NIFT Cutoff post the successful conduct of NIFT 2017 Entrance Exam on February 12, 2017. NIFT 2017 Cutoff is the minimum marks or percentile a candidate must have scored in the NIFT exam to get admission to fashion and design courses in desired college or institute. After the announcement of NIFT 2017 Results, qualified candidates have to appear for further levels. They will have to go through the NIFT Situation Test and GDPI for final selection.
Read More Expected NIFT 2017 Cutoff
NIFT Counselling 2017
NIFT Counselling for admission to various UG and PG courses commences in June, 2017. There will be multiple rounds of counselling at the 15 Campuses of NIFT 2017. Candidates have to register themselves on the official website of NIFT with their login credentials i.e. NIFT Application Number, Date of Birth and Password.
There is no counselling fee for first round of NIFT 2017 counselling. But for subsequent rounds, the prescribed counselling fee is INR 5000/-. All the participating candidates will have to select a Counselling campus for participating in the NIFT 2017 Counselling. Candidates will receive “system generated letter”, SMSes and emails on their registered mobile number and email id after successfully registering for NIFT 2017 Counselling. The letter will have the details of Nodal Officer and documents required to carried on the day of counselling.
All the candidates should reach the counselling venue with NIFT mandatory documents in original and photocopies. After the document verification, candidates will be called for seat allotment in order of their merit rank. They will then be offered the seat available at that point of time. The Campus/Course /Category-wise seat availability chart would be displayed at all the NIFT campuses.
Read More: NIFT Participating Institutes
NIFT Reservation Criteria 2017
Candidates belonging to reserved categories such as SC, ST and OBC-NCL and Differently abled categories (PHP) can claim reservation as per the NIFT 2017 Reservation Criteria. Supernumerary seats are also reserved for candidates applying under Foreign Nationals/SAARC/NRI and State Domicile category. The seat reservation for various reserved categories are indicated in the table below.
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Caste (OBC) Non Creamy||27%|
|Differently Abled Person (PHP)||3% Horizontal reservation for Differently Abled Person (having or more disability)|
|Foreign Nationals/SAARC/NRI||15% (Supernumerary)|
|State Domicile||20% (supernumerary)|
Note: Candidates claiming reservation will only be admitted if they fulfill the eligibility criteria laid down by NIFT. The category once indicated in the NIFT application form cannot be changed at any stage.
Read More:Seat Matix of NIFT 2017