SSC CGL 2017 NEWS
NATIONAL LEVEL ONLINE TEST
Error Spotting in SSC CGL plays a very important role in English Comprehension Section. English Comprehension comes for 50 marks in Tier 1 consisting of 25 questions and for 200 marks in Tier 2 which contains 200 Questions.
It is generally difficult to clear the sectional cut off for English. Error Spotting is one of the major topics in English language test which can affect your marks if you have no knowledge about the format of the questions as well as general errors in the paper. Therefore, we are here to give you General Tips for Spotting Errors in English.
Read More About SSC CGL
1) Common Grammatical Errors: Candidate must have a proper idea about all the Grammar rules and should keep in mind all such things because the statement sometime seems perfect but contains errors in it. So to avoid all common errors students should have a proper grip over grammar and grammatical rules.
Example of Grammatical error:
He looked upon me eye to eye for few moment before he spoke
a) before her spoke
b) no error
c) eye to eye for a few moment
d) He looked upon me
Error is in ( D) Looked upon me is grammatically incorrect and should be changed to look at me. To look upon someone means to consider someone for something for something
2) Errors in Verbs: Proper knowledge about the verbs and their right usage is a must. A verb is one of the main parts of a sentence or question in English. In fact, you can’t have a sentence or a question without a verb! That’s how important these “action” parts of speech are. The verb signals an action, an occurrence, or a state of being. Whether mental, physical, or mechanical, verbs always express activity.
Example of Verb error:
I forbid you not to go there again
a) there again
b) not to go
c) no error
d) forbid you
The sentence should be changed to ‘ I forbid you from going there again’
the sentence requireparticiple from verb not to+ infinitive form
2) Errors in Prepositions: Preposition seems easy but are actually very confusing and tricky questions in the examination increases that confusion. Prepositions – in, up, to, on, with etc. plays a very important role and learning about the function of all the prepositions is very important.
Example of Preposition error:
Until you are in habit of putting off things you cannot ensure yourself of a good future
a) you cannot ensure yourself of a good future
b) the habit of putting off things
c) until you are in
d) no error
The use of preposition ‘of’ after yourself is incorrect. The sentence doesn’t require a preposition.
3) Error in an Article (Adjective): Placing the correct article in the correct place is very crucial. Students in SSC CGL English Comprehension must know about the proper usage of articles i.e. where it is required where it is not because many questions in the examination revolves around Article errors i.e. A, an, the.
Example of an Article error:
Do you think you could lend me a good pair of gloves to wear for the wedding
a) Do you think you can lend me
b) no error
c)good pair of gloves
d) to wear to the wedding
sentence requires an article before ‘good pair ‘ hence error is in c
Remember that adjectives can modify as well as describe other words, and you’ll find it much easier to identify different types of adjectives when you see them
Errors in Tenses: Most common error in Error spotting covers the tenses area only. For spotting the errors in such questions, Students should know about the Present tense, Past Tense and Future tense and relation of other figure of speech with it.
Example of Tense error:
As per the invitation card Rahim marries with Sayra on 13th December, Monday
a) No error
b) on 13th December Monday
c) As per the invitation card
d) Rahim marries with Sayra
Marries is in the Present tense and does not require with.
These tips will help you to know the common errors in Error Spotting and how to avoid such errors by some basic knowledge of English Grammar and it’s rules.
Exceptions: There are a lot of exceptions in English Comprehension therefore even after knowing all the rules, some exceptions lead to marks deduction. So candidates must be very careful and should read the questions properly
While preparing for the Entrance Examinations, one must practice previous year question papers because most of the time questions are same or follows the same pattern. Few questions from SSC CGL previous year question papers with correct answers:
1) A bird in the tree is worth two in the bush
a) no error
b) two in the bush
c) is worth
d) a bird in the tree
2) Just outside my house are a playground for boys and girls
a) for boys and girls
b) are a playground
c) no error
d) just outside my house
3) He can be a basketball player since he is tall like a mule
a) no error
b) he can be
c) tall like a mule
d) a basketball player since
4) Who do you think I met?
b) I met?
c) No error
d) do you think
Negative Marking: Section deducts the marks for every wrong attempt so candidates should not attempt questions if they are not fully sure.
SSC CGL Answer Key 2017 – The answer key of SSC CG ...
SSC CGL 2016 results were declared on the officia ...
SSC CGL Dress Code and Prohibited items. Kindly se ...