IES Exam is known to have a success rate of only 0.5%. Nearly 1 lakh students compete for around 600 vacancies. That being said, 0.5 % of the candidates still crack the examination. You can always adopt a coherent preparation for IES 2017 and make your mark amongst the 0.5%. We provide here an article that focuses on various important highlights of the IES Interview which is the ultimate round for the candidates wishing to crack IES 2017.
200 marks and a rigorous bunch of questions will ultimately decide whether you clear one of the most coveted engineering recruitment examinations. Yes, that does sound grueling but you need not become twitchy about how to prepare for the Interview round of IES. And we have the plan for you. Read on!
IES 2017 Interview
While the written test assesses the complete technical knowledge of the candidates, the IES Interview gauges your personality along with your knowledge of the field that you are entering.
The tentative IES 2017 Interview Date is November 1, 2017, to December 15, 2017.
Check IES Selection Procedure 2017
What does IES Interview assess?
The Interview panel attempts to assess various qualities that make you an ideal candidate for the service.
- The interview will try to bring out qualities such as intuitive powers, spontaneity, common sense, soft skills, leadership qualities, confidence level and team spirit.
- Moreover, it will also check the depth of your technical knowledge and general awareness.
- The interview panel will check your ability to analyze and solve practical situations.
- You should definitely have sound knowledge on the current affairs including both national & international issues.
- Through different sets of questions, they aim to reflect on your weaknesses & strengths.
How to prepare for IES interview?
Here is a list of preparation tips for the interview round of IES Exam that will aid the candidates in tackling their apprehensions that they have about the interview.
- Know the IES Interview: Go through the previous years’ IES Interview and Toppers’ tips. This is of tremendous help as it gives you a real picture of how the IES Interview is going to be, what the aspects are that the IES Interview focuses.
- Assess yourself: Once you have gone through the IES interview of the toppers and previous years’ questions, you will know where you stand. You can sort out your weak areas and the strong areas. Accordingly, plan and speed up your preparation.
- Scan your entire profile that you have produced to the Interview panel: You can always expect a lion’s share of the questions from your own profile such as your previous job experience, hobbies, your home state, college, your MTech thesis if you are doing MTech etc. Know that you cannot afford to make any mistake while answering these questions.
- Stay updated about the current affairs: Read newspapers, current affairs blogs, take quizzes and stay updated about all the latest national & international affairs.
- Revise your subjects: The interview board also checks your technical & subject knowledge. You ought to have the basic concepts and understanding about your subject
- Improve your fluency: Practice answering various interview questions on your own. Record and review them to know your fluency.
- Brush up your personality: Since the interview will evaluate numerous aspects of your personality, make sure you are always confident about the answers you give.
- The interview comes with tricky questions: There might be questions such as “What are your weaknesses?” Simply knowing about your weaknesses is not always considered wise. If you do have a weakness then it is anyhow considered negative. So for questions like these, you should direct the answers towards your strengths. You can frame the answer in this way “ I do have this weakness but on the positive side I am good at…” You can give the same type of answers for questions like, “Do you have this particular experience?”, in the case you don’t have it.
- Practice discussions: Practice discussion on your personal profile, on Hobbies, Interests, Degree Project, Extra & Co-curricular Activities etc.
This is not a preparation tip but do not forget to recheck how you present yourself in the interview. Wear clean, tidy clothes in which you feel comfortable and confident. Make sure that whatever you speaks come out with clarity. Do not try to be fast while speaking. Be humble yet confident.
IES Interview Questions
To make it simpler for you, we have compiled a set of common and important IES Interview questions that you might face in the IES Interview.
- Introductory IES Interviewquestions:
- About yourself.
- Why have you chosen IES or the department
- Why should we select you?
- About your hobbies, education, current job, the course of study whichever is applicable etc.
Tips: These questions check your basic personal profile and your commitment towards the field that you want to enter. Your answer to these questions should be fluent, spontaneous and confident.
- Current affair IES Interviewquestions:
- Newspapers have the ultimate answers to these questions. Multiply and expand your knowledge about the current affairs and trending topics about economics, politics and science & technology.
- Questions in trending topic such as the US Elections or Demonetisation.
- General Knowledge questions about your hometown, state, college,
- Technical IES InterviewQuestions
- Technical questions can be two types –facts based and intuition based.
- Facts based questions varies according to the members of the interview panel. If the panel members belong to a certain department such as railway, you can expect questions related to that. Hence study all the possible departments.
Have an extensive knowledge on the topics of your syllabus. Having an upper hand on your own subject gives you a competitive edge.
- Intuition based questions aim to assess your confidence in the areas that are out of your comfort zone and are mostly tricky. For eg: "How will you decide whether to for steel structure or concrete structure for a building?" "How will you increase the discharge in Hooghly river in your State if you find most of the water of Ganges is going to Bangladesh?"
Here do not try to dope with irrelevant answers. Be honest and tell your viewpoint and if you cannot figure it out at all, say so in a diplomatic manner.
- Personality based IES Interviewquestions
Many questions aim to evaluate various aspects of your personality such as Leadership quality, team spirit etc.
Questions can be framed as:
- "How will you guide the uneducated mass of workers?" "How will you tackle a worker strike?”
- “How will you handle situations such as when your superior is committing a mistake and is not ready to face it?”