CAPF (Central Armed Police Forces) is a national level exam conducted by Union Public Service Commission every year. It is scheduled for the month of July. Aspirants must undergo 2 tiers of exam to qualify and get short-listed for recruitment in CAPF.
- The 2 tiers of selection consist of written examination and personality test/ interview.
- Medical examination-physical test is mandatory for all applicants.
- CAPF is a highly competitive exam and lakhs of students apply for it every year.
CAPF 2017 Preparation Tips are mentioned in this article to help candidates crack this exam. It will help participants to plan their studies and score well in the exam. The selection procedure is also explained below.
CAPF 2017 Selection Procedure
CAPF is organized by UPSC in 2 stages and a compulsory medical test. The stages of selection are mentioned below:
- The 2 stages of selection are a written test and a personality test/interview.
- Those aspirants who qualify in the first stage will be eligible for the physical test.
- In the final stage, individuals who have been successful in the first 2 rounds will be called for a personal interview.
- The final selection will be made based on an applicant’s performance in all the stages.
CAPF 2017 Written Exam Pattern
CAPF 2017 Written Test is the first stage of the exam. The written exam will be held via 2 papers. The features of the 2 papers are mentioned below:
- Paper 1 – General Ability and Intelligence
- This paper is designed to assess applicant’s knowledge about Indian History, Political Science, Economics, Geography, Science, Mathematics and Reasoning, Environment and bio-diversity and Current affairs. It will consist of objective type questions (MCQs).The total number of questions asked will be 125 and every correct answer will be awarded +2 marks. The duration for Paper 1 is 120 minutes
- Paper 2 – Essay, General Studies and Comprehension.
This section will comprise of subjective questions. About 20 questions will be asked in this paper. The total obtainable marks are 200 and the duration of Paper 2 is 180 minutes.
After candidates qualify the written exams they will be called for Physical and Medical tests, qualifying which they will be short-listed for the personal interview round conducted by UPSC. Interview will carry 150 Marks. Finally, a merit list will be prepared and accordingly applicants will be allotted a seat in one of the forces based on their marks and preference.
Total Marks in CAPF = 250+ 200+ 150= 600
CAPF 2017 Preparation Tips
Applicants must make sure they know the exam pattern of UPSC CAPF 2017 well so they can prepare well for the exam. The paper-wise preparation tips are mentioned below:
CAPF 2017 Preparation Tips for Written Exam
This is the most competitive stage of the exam and a large number of candidates are eliminated in this test. It consists of 2 papers. Participants must prepare for the written test well in advance. They can refer to the tips mentioned below:
- Stick to the basics- Individuals should refer to NCERT books of class 8 to 12. It is the primary study material of CAPF exam. Complete the syllabus in these books and revise from time to time. They can also refer to NIOS textbooks. After applicants study thoroughly from these books then they must refer to other reference books.
- Read Newspaper daily- The best newspaper to be referred to when studying for UPSC exams is the Hindu. Aspirants must make sure they read the newspaper daily as this will make them aware of the general events happening in the world. A number of questions regarding current affairs are asked in Paper 1 of the written test. It will also help participants to write the essay in Paper 2 and will increase speed of reading.
- Focus on Paper 2- Candidates must focus equally on both papers. Paper 2 is relatively scoring and good command over the language can help students a lot. They must also prepare well for the essay. The essay carries 80 marks. Participants should manage their time well as Paper 2 is a time consuming section.
- Solve Previous Years’ Papers- Aspirants must solve previous years’ papers as and when they can. It will give them an idea about the kind of questions asked as also about topics they need to study better. It will also assist them in time management skills.
- Learn simple tricks- Participants must learn new ways and tricks of solving similar questions so that they save time. The time saved can be utilized in attempting other difficult questions.
CAPF 2017 Preparation Tips for Physical Test
Applicants who clear the cut off for the written test will proceed to the round of Physical test. Keep these following tips in mind to perform well in this round:
- Physical test will include assessment of physical activities like running, long jump, test of strength, exercises, etc. Candidates must exercise regularly to increase their stamina and speed.
- Candidates will undergo a medical test after the physical assessment. They must be medically fit and sound. They must exercise on a regular basis and eat healthy.
- Applicants are advised to get a thorough medical check-up done before the actual Medical examination. This will help them know about any anomalies in their body and how they can correct it in time.
CAPF 2017 Preparation Tips for Interview
The final stage of CAPF is the personal interview. The interview is conducted to assess an applicant’s mental awareness and decision making skills. Candidates will be asked various questions based on conditions and ongoing events. Some tips are mentioned below to help them perform better in the personal interview round:
- Dress Code- Aspirants must dress up properly and should sport a formal attire. They must have short, trim hair and a clean shaven face. The appearance of individuals should be kept in mind as it is a defense related interview.
- They must be polite and sensitive while entering the room and taking a seat. They must ask for the examiner’s permission before doing the same and should exhibit good manners.
- Candidates must be confident in their answers. The examiners will try to confuse applicants with the details of events but individuals must answer confidently. They must not engage in a serious debate even if tempted by the examiners. They must remain calm and polite at all times.
- Be aware of the current events happening in the country. Conditional questions will be asked during the interview to know applicant’s general aptitude and awareness.
- Aspirants must politely tell the examiners if they do not know the answer to a question.
CAPF 2017 General Preparation Tips
- Applicants must make sure that they are following the right syllabus. They must refer to the syllabus and pattern uploaded by UPSC on their official website.
- Candidates must revise topics on a regular basis. They must also make notes which should contain important points and formulae of various chapters.
- They can also take online tests along with solving previous years’ papers.
- Individuals should not refer a lot of books. They must select the good ones and study thoroughly from them.