NEST 2017: Exam Dates, Application Process, Exam Pattern
NEST (National Entrance Screening Test) is a national level entrance conducted for admission to 5 years Integrated M.Sc. Programmes in Basic Sciences- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics & Biology. The Exam is conducted by NISER(National Institute of Science Education & Research) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS).
The online registration is scheduled to start from January 02, 2017. Candidates are required to fill the application form on the official site of NEST 2017. The application fee for General/OBC candidates is INR 700/- while the fee for SC/ST category is INR 350/-. Online registration window will close in the first week of March – 2017.
|NEST 2017 Registration||NEST 2017 Exam Pattern||NEST 2017 Admit Card|
Admit Card will be released online after second week of April-2017 for all the succesful applicants. NEST 2017 Exam is scheduled to be held on May 27, 2017 in online mode. The entrance test will be conducted at 60 cities across the country.
NEST 2017 Result is expected to be declared on or after June 16, 2017. Candidates will be shortlisted for counselling process by all the participating institutes based on the no. of seats available and NEST Cutoff.
NEST 2017 Important Dates
The exam conducting authority has announced the official dates for NEST 2017. Candidates can complete the registration from the first week of January – 2017 onwards. NEST Exam will be conducted on the last saturday of May – 2017. Candidates can check the detailed schedule below.
|Availability of NEST Application Form||January 02, 2017|
|Last Date for Submission of the NEST 2017 Application Form||March 06, 2017|
|Release of NEST Admit Card||April 14, 2017|
|Date of NEST 2017 Exam||May 27, 2017|
|Announcement of NEST 2017 Result||June 16, 2017|
NEST 2017 Eligibility
Candidates applying for the integrated MSc program at NISER, Bhubaneswar and UM-DAE CEBS, Mumbai can check the eligibility criteria below.
- The candidates should have studied Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics in Class XII.
- The candidates must note that there is no restriction based on candidate’s upper age to appear for NEST 2017.
- The candidates must obtain at least 60% aggregate marks in qualifying exam from a recognized board in India (55% in case of SC/ST/PwD candidates).
- Candidate should have appeared for the qualifying exam in 2015 or 2016 or is appearing for the exam in 2017.
- General and OBC Candidates should be atleast 20 years on August 01, 2017. Relaxation of 5 years is provided to SC/ST/PwD Candidates.
All the candidates claiming reservation should provide the relevant caste certificate to prove the eligibility at the time of NEST Counselling. The certificate for OBC-Non Creamy Layer candidates must be issued on or before June 01, 2016.
Read More About NEST Eligibility
NEST 2017 Reservation
The reservation criteria in NEST 2017 is as per Govt. of India norms. The candidates appearing for NEST 2017 under reserved categories have to produce caste certificates which must be issued by June 01, 2015. The categories and the extent of reservation for each category is mentioned below:
- Other Backward Classes-Non Creamy Layer – 27%
- Scheduled Caste – 15%
- Scheduled Tribe – 7.5%
- Person with Disabilities – 3%
- Supernumerary Quota for J&K candidates – 2 seats in each institution
Candidates must obtain the requiiste certificates and documents in accordance with GOI norms. The cutoff date for obtaining caste certificate from competent authority for OBC-NCL/SC/ST category is June 01, 2016.
Read More About NEST Reservation
NEST 2017 Registration
Candidates can apply for NEST 2017 at nestexam.in within the stipulated time. There is no offline application mode available for NEST 2017. Candidates can apply for NEST 2017 till March 2017. All the details provided in the NEST Registration 2017 should be accurate and correct.
The steps involved in the NEST 2017 Application Form includes Registration, Filling the form, Uploading the documents, Fee payment and submission.
Know More About NEST 2017 Application Process
NEST 2017Application Fee
Application Fee for NEST 2017 can be paid through DD/Credit Card/Debit Card of more than 40 banks via online payment gateway.
|General and OBC categories (Male)||700/-|
|SC and ST categories (Male)||350/-|
|All categories (Female)||350/-|
|Candidate with Physical Disability (All categories)||350/-|
NEST 2017 Admit Card
Candidates who register successfully can download their NEST Admit Card from the official website on or after April 14, 2017. All the applicants should carry the admit card to the NEST 2017 Exam Center along with a valid Photo ID issued by Govt. Of India. Candidates are advised to check all the information present on the NEST 2017 Admit Card. Any discrepancy in the details provided during NEST 2017 Registration and mentioned on admit card shoud be immediately reported to the concerned authorities.
Details mentioned on NEST Admit Card
Candidates should carefully check all the details on the NEST 2017 Admit card. The following details would be mentioned on admit card:
- Name of the candidate
- Name and Address of the Exam Centre
- Date and Timings of the exam
- Candidates’ Signature
- Candidates’ Photograph
Get More Details on NEST Admit Card
NEST 2017 Exam Centers
NEST 2017 will be conducted at 60 centers across the country in more than 100 venues. Candidates have to mention their choice of NEST Exam center in order of their preference while filling up of NEST 2017 Application Form. Every candidate is allowed to select 2 centers at the time of filling the application form.
They can also pick 2 centers from from the same city, such as Delhi-East and Delhi-North. The exam conducting authority would allocate the NEST 2017 Exam Center as per the choice of the candidate.
NEST 2017 Exam Pattern
NEST 2017 will be conducted in pen and paper based mode. There are 5 sections in total in NEST Exam – one General section compulsary for all the candidates and 4 subject sections namely Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology. All the questions will be in Multiple Choice Questions format.The syllabus for NEST 2017 is based on the syllabus of Class XI and XII as prescribed by CBSE.
Candidates can check below the important highlights of NEST Exam Pattern.
|Mode of Paper||Offline (Pen and Paper based test)|
|No. of Sections||5|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Subjects||General, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology|
|Section Wise Marking Scheme||Section 1 – 30 marks; Section 2 to 5 – 50 Marks each|
|Negative Marking||For specific questions in Subject Sections|
|Medium of Question paper||English|
Scores secured in the best 3 subjects along with the score in the general section is considered for evaluation and merit list preparation although candidates can attempt all the 4 subject sections. The questions are aimed at comprehending candidates’ grasp over the subjects and their analytic abilities.
Note: Some questions can have more than 1 correct answer for which marks can be obatined by marking all correct answers from the available options.
Read More About NEST Exam Pattern
NEST 2017 Result
NEST 2017 Result is expected to be declared on or before June 16, 2017. The result will be displayed on the official website of the NISER and CBS institutes. Candidates can also check the result on the official website of NEST 2017. Candidates can check the sectional score by downloading the score card from the official site.
All the candidates who are admitted to the 5 year Integrated MSc programme at NISER and CBS are eligible for INSPIRE, Govt. Of India, scholarship worth Rs. 5,000/- per month and Rs. 20,000/- per annum, for carrying out summer projects.
Know More About NEST Result
- In case two candidates secure equal marks in the examination, the candidates with higher score in the general section will get a better rank.
- If the degeneracy condition persists, then the scores obtained in the other sections will be compared. The candidate with better score in any of the subject section would get a better rank.
- If the tie continues to persist, then the respective candidates would be given same provisional rank at the time of declaration of the result and the tie will be broken by comparing marks obtained in class 12th and date of birth in that order, during the time of admission/counselling.
NEST 2017 Seat Intake
NISER has 172 total seats, whereas CBS has a total of 47 seats for admission in integrated 5 year MSc Program. Reservation of seats for various categories would be based on norms of GOI. The category wise distribution of seats is mentioned below.
|PD (part of other categories)||5||1|
NEST 2017 Counselling
Post declaration of the NEST 2017 Result, the shortlisted candidates may appear for the NEST Counselling.The number of students who would be invited to each round of NEST 2017 Counselling may be restricted by the institutes. No candidate will be entitled to automatic call up for any round of counselling just by satisfying SMAS and MAS criteria. Candidates are required to bring the necessary documents in original as well as photocopy. The NEST 2017 counselling will be held in two Rounds:
- Round 1 of NEST 2017 Counselling- A combined modified merit list will be prepared on the basis of original merit list and the attendance at NISER and CBS. The admissions will be granted strictly on the basis of the merit list.
- Round 2 of NEST 2017 counselling- The candidates are admitted in the vacant seats of the institutes after the first round of counselling. The names of the waitlisted candidates will be announced by the participating institutes on their respective websites.
The dates for NEST 2017 Counselling will be announced on the official website.
Documents required for NEST 2017 Counselling
- 10th class mark sheet (Original + 1 photocopy)
- 12th class mark sheet (Original + 1 photocopy)
- Birth Certificate or School Leaving Certificate as Date of Birth proof (Original + 1 photocopy)
- Caste certificate, if applicable (Original + 1 photocopy)
- Caste verification certificate in case where format of caste certificate only mentions the caste of the candidate and not the fact that said caste is included in respective category
- Non-creamy layer OBC certificate, if applicable (Original + 1 photocopy)
- Disability certificate, if applicable (Original + 1 photocopy)
- Indian Citizenship proof, in case candidates was born outside India (Original + 1 photocopy)
- 4 passport size color photographs
- Demand Draft in favor of NISER, payable at Bhubaneswar, or in favor of CBS, payable at Mumbai, wherever candidates are appearing for NEST 2017 counselling.
NEST 2017 Contact Details
For any queries, the candidates are required to contact through postal mail at
The Chief Coordinator, NEST 2017 National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) at PO-Jatni, District-Khurda, PIN-752050, Odisha, India.
Phone: (0674) 2494102
The official website of NEST 2017 is: www.nestexam.in
Read More About NEST Counselling