NEST 2017 - National Entrance Screening Test
NEST (National Entrance Screening Test) is a national level entrance exam. The exam is conducted for admission to 5-year Integrated M.Sc. Program in Basic Sciences- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology. NEST is conducted by National Institute of Science Education & Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS).
- Physics section was easier than the previous year but was of moderate difficulty. Most of the questions in this section was from the CBSE Syllabus but they were tricky.
- Chemistry section was easiest of all the sections in the exam. Equal weightage was given to all the topics in this section.
- Mathematics section was the most difficult section with 2-3 lengthy calculation based questions.
- Biology section in the exam focussed on NCERT but has tricky questions
- General Ability section was the easiest section. This section can help the candidates score better in the exam.
NEST evaluates a candidate’s comprehension skills and knowledge in basic sciences. It is of total 180 marks. Candidates will be shortlisted for counselling process by all the participating institutes based on the no. of seats available and NEST Cut off.
NEST 2017 Important Dates
The exam conducting authority has announced the official dates for NEST 2017. Candidates can complete the registration from the first week of January 2017. NEST Exam will be conducted on the last Saturday of May 2017. Candidates can check the detailed schedule below-
|Availability of NEST Application Form||January 02, 2017|
|Last Date for Submission of the NEST 2017 Application Form||March 06, 2017|
|Release of NEST Admit Card||April 14, 2017|
|Date of NEST 2017 Exam||May 27, 2017|
|Announcement of NEST 2017 Result||June 16, 2017|
NEST 2017 Eligibility
Candidates applying for the integrated MSc program at NISER Bhubaneswar and UM-DAE CEBS Mumbai can check the eligibility criteria below-
- Candidates should have studied Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics in Class XII.
- They must note that there is no restriction based on candidate’s upper age to appear for NEST 2017.
- They must obtain at least 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying exam from a recognized board in India (55% in case of SC/ST/PwD candidates).
- Candidate should have appeared for the qualifying exam in 2015 or 2016 or be appearing for the exam in 2017.
- General and OBC candidates should be at least 20 years old on August 01, 2017. Relaxation of 5 years is provided to SC/ST/PwD candidates.
All the candidates claiming reservation should provide the relevant caste certificate to prove the eligibility at the time of NEST Counselling. The certificate for OBC-Non Creamy Layer must be issued on or before June 01, 2016.
Read More About NEST Eligibility
NEST 2017 Reservation
The reservation criteria in NEST 2017 is as per Govt. of India norms. Candidates appearing for NEST 2017 under reserved categories have to produce caste certificates which must be issued by June 01, 2015. The categories and the extent of reservation for each category is mentioned below:
- Other Backward Classes-Non Creamy Layer – 27%
- Scheduled Caste – 15%
- Scheduled Tribe – 7.5%
- Person with Disabilities – 3%
- Supernumerary Quota for J&K candidates – 2 seats in each institution
Candidates must obtain the requisite certificates and documents in accordance with GOI norms. The last date for obtaining caste certificate from competent authority for OBC-NCL/SC/ST category is June 01, 2016.
Read More About NEST Reservation
NEST 2017 Registration
Candidates can apply for NEST 2017 at nestexam.in within the stipulated time frame. There is no offline mode of application available for NEST 2017. Candidates can apply for NEST 2017 till March 06, 2017. All the details provided in the NEST Registration 2017 should be accurate and correct.
The steps involved in the NEST 2017 Application Form includes Registration, Filling the form, Uploading the documents, Fee payment and submission.
NEST 2017 Application Fee
Application Fee for NEST 2017 can be paid through DD/Credit Card/Debit Card of more than 40 banks via online payment gateway.
|General and OBC Categories (Male)||700/-|
|SC and ST Categories (Male)||350/-|
|All Categories (Female)||350/-|
|Candidate with Physical Disability (All Categories)||350/-|
NEST 2017 Admit Card
- Candidates who register successfully can download their NEST Admit Card from the official website on April 14, 2017 onwards.
- All the applicants should carry the admit card to the NEST 2017 Exam Center along with a valid Photo ID issued by Govt. Of India.
- Candidates are advised to check all the information present on the NEST 2017 Admit Card.
- Any discrepancy in the details provided during NEST 2017 Registration and mentioned on admit card should be immediately reported to the concerned authorities.
Steps To Download NEST Admit Card
- Visit the official website of NEST at www.nestexam.in
- Login using Registered Email ID, Password and Captcha
- NEST 2017 admit card/hall ticket will appear on the screen
- Download NEST Admit Card
- Take 2-3 print copies of the same
Details Mentioned on NEST Admit Card
Candidates should carefully check all the details on the NEST 2017 Admit card. The following details would be mentioned on admit card:
Download Here NEST Admit Card
NEST 2017 Exam Centers
- NEST 2017 will be conducted at 60 centers across the country in more than 100 venues.
- have to mention their choice of NEST Exam Center in order of their preference while filling up of NEST 2017 Application Form.
- Every candidate is allowed to select 2-centers at the time of filling the application form.
- They can also pick 2-centers from the same city, such as from Delhi region, a candidate can select: Delhi-East and Delhi-North.
- The exam conducting authority would allocate the NEST 2017 Exam Center as per the choice of the candidate.
NEST 2017 Exam Pattern
NEST Exam Pattern describes the complete paper pattern, subject-wise marking scheme, distribution of marks, time duration and alike. It is decided by National Institute of Science Education & Research (NISER) each year. The exam pattern of NEST has been same over the years.
- NEST 2017 is conducted in pen and paper based mode.
- There are 5 sections in total in NEST Exam
- General Ability section is compulsory for all the candidates
- The other 4-sections are- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology
- All the questions will be in Multiple Choice Questions format
- The syllabus for NEST 2017 is based on the syllabus of Class XI and XII as prescribed by CBSE
Candidates can check below the important highlights of NEST Exam Pattern.
|Mode of Paper||Offline (Pen and Paper based test)|
|No. of Sections||5|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Subjects||General, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology|
|Section Wise Marking Scheme||Section 1 – 30 marks; Section 2 to 5 – 50 Marks each|
|Negative Marking||For specific questions in Subject Sections|
|Medium of Question paper||English|
Scores secured in the best 3 subjects along with the scores obtained in the General Ability section is considered for evaluation and merit list preparation. Although candidates can attempt all the 4 subject sections. The questions are aimed at comprehending candidates’ grasp of the subjects and their analytic abilities.
Note: Some questions can have more than 1 correct answer for which marks can be obtained by marking all correct answers from the available options.
Check Here NEST Exam Pattern
NEST 2017 Result
NEST Result will be declared at the official portal of NEST. The result is expected to be announced on June 16, 2017. Along with the availability of NEST Results, merit list will also be published.
NEST Merit List is defined by considering the scores of general section along with the scores of top 3-sections from the subjects. On the basis of ranks secured in NEST Merit List, candidates will be called for counselling.
All the candidates who are admitted to the 5-year Integrated MSc programme at NISER and CBS are eligible for INSPIRE, Govt. of India, a scholarship worth INR 5,000/- per month and INR 20,000/- per annum, for carrying out summer projects.
In case, two or more candidates secure same marks then there exists a tie. Tie-breaker criterion is used to break the tie.
- In case two candidates secure equal marks in the examination, the candidates with higher score in the general section will get a better rank.
- If the degeneracy condition persists, then the scores obtained in the other sections will be compared. The candidate with better score in any of the subject section would get a better rank.
- If the tie continues to persist, then the respective candidates would be given same provisional rank at the time of declaration of the result and the tie will be broken by comparing marks obtained in class 12th and date of birth in that order, during the time of admission/counselling.
NEST 2017 Seat Intake
There are around 172 seats reserved for NISER whereas for CBS the total number of seats reserved is 47 seats for admission to integrated 5-year MSc Program. The reservation of seats for various categories would be based on norms of GOI.
The category-wise distribution of seats for NISER and CBS is mentioned in the table below-
|PD (Part of Other Categories)||5||1|
NEST 2017 Counselling
Post declaration of the NEST Result 2017, the shortlisted candidates may appear for NEST Counselling.The number of students who would be invited to each round of NEST 2017 Counselling may be restricted by the institutes. No candidate will be entitled to automatic call up for any round of counselling just by satisfying SMAS and MAS criteria. They are required to bring the necessary documents in original as well as photocopy. The NEST 2017 counselling will be held in two Rounds:
- Round 1 of NEST 2017 Counselling- A combined modified merit list will be prepared on the basis of original merit list and the attendance at NISER and CBS. The admissions will be granted strictly on the basis of the merit list.
- Round 2 of NEST 2017 Counselling- The candidates are admitted to the vacant seats of the institutes after the first round of counselling. The names of the waitlisted candidates will be announced by the participating institutes on their respective websites.
The exact dates for NEST Counselling 2017 will later be announced on the official website.
Documents required for NEST 2017 Counselling
It is mandatory to carry necessary documents in original along with their Xerox copy at the time of NEST Counselling. List of documents required at the time of NEST Counselling is provided below-
- 10th class mark sheet
- 12th class mark sheet
- Birth Certificate or School Leaving Certificate as Date of Birth proof
- Caste certificate, if applicable
- Caste verification certificate in case where format of caste certificate only mentions the caste of the candidate and not the fact that said caste is included in respective category
- Non-Creamy Layer OBC certificate, if applicable
- Disability certificate, if applicable
- Indian Citizenship proof, in case candidates was born outside India
- 4-passport size color photographs
- Demand Draft in favor of NISER, payable at Bhubaneswar, or in favor of CBS, payable at Mumbai, wherever candidates are appearing for NEST 2017 counselling.
NEST 2017 Contact Details
In case of any query, applicants can contact The Chief Coordinator of NEST at office timings. The contact details are mentioned below: