NEET MDS 2017 Overview
NEET MDS (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test for Masters of Dental Surgery) will be conducted from November 30, 2016 to December 03, 2016. NEET MDS is held by NBE (National Board of Examinations). This year NEET MDS is conducted for admissions to the MDS programmes in various dental colleges across the country.
Candidates can register online for the NEET MDS from September 26, 2016 onwards. Before applying for NEET MDS, it is advised to check the NEET MDS Eligibility to ensure that the candidate meets all the requirements. Candidates can download NEET MDS Admit Card from the official website.
NEET MDS 2017 Important Dates
Notification for NEET MDS was released on September 24, 2016. The last date to register online for NEET MDS is October 31, 2016. The detailed schedule for NEET MDS 2017 is provided below:
|Release of official notification||September 24, 2016|
|Start of Online Registration||September 26, 2016|
|End of Online Registration||November 07, 2016|
|Start of Admit Card download||September 27, 2016|
|End of Admit Card download||November 1, 2016|
|Dates of exam||November 30, 2016 to December 03, 2016|
|Announcement of results||January 15, 2017|
Candidates must have accurate information regarding the exam timings. It is advised to reach the test venue before the specified time to avoid any last minute hassle. The detailed timing for each session of NEET MDS 2017 is as given below:
|Event||Forenoon Session||Afternoon Session|
|Reporting by candidate at entry counter||9:00 AM||2:45 PM|
|Closing time of entry counter||9:30 AM||3:15 PM|
|Duration for check in process||9:00 AM to 10:00 AM||2:45 PM TO 3:45 PM|
|Start of exam (inclusive of 15 minutes of test tutorial)||10:00 AM||3:45 PM|
|End of exam||1:45 PM||7:30 PM|
NEET MDS 2017 Eligibility
In case the candidates is found unable to meet the NEET MDS eligibility, their application will be rejected. The detailed NEET MDS 2017 Eligibility is explained below:
- The candidate must be an Indian National or Person of India Origin or Overseas Citizen of India card holder.
- A candidate must possess a BDS degree from a Dental College that is recognized by Indian government.
- An applicant must have obtained provisional or permanent BDS registration.
- He or she must have completed 1 year of compulsory rotatory internship in a recognized Dental College.
- The compulsory internship is not applicable to those who have passed their final BDS exam on or before 1988 and hold a recognised degree of BDS.
- Candidates who have passed BDS from the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Jammu & Kashmir will not be eligible for 50% All India Quota seats.
- However, those nominated by the Indian Government to do BDS from Medical Colleges in these states will be eligible to apply.
NEET MDS 2017 Application Process
NEET MDS Application Process will begin from September 26, 2016 and the last date to apply is November 07, 2016. The candidates can regsiter in the online mode only. For this they have to visit the official website.
There are several stages in the application process of NEET MDS 2017 as explained below:
Step 1-Create a profile
- First enter your name, gender, name of father or mother and email address.
- The, create a login by providing a username and password.
- Set a secret reminder question for security purpose.
- Provide additional information such as contact number and postal address.
- Click on “Save and Continue”.
- Upload your photograph and signature according to specifications.
Step 2-Filling the Application Form
- After profile creation, you will be redirected to exam selection screen.
- Choose “NEET MDS 2017” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Save and Continue” to move on to the exam details page.
- Go through all details given and then click on “Continue”.
- Enter your personal information such as nationality, date of birth, resident domicile state, religion, preference for programme and other such details.
- Provide details regarding your educational background.
- Upload scanned images of your Photo ID and DCI/SDC Certificate.
- Read the declaration and indicate your agreement.
- Click on “Save and Continue”.
- If there are any errors in the form, they will be shown after submission.
- Correct the errors and verify all details. Then, submit the form again.
Step 3- Schedule the exam
- Choose the preferred location of the exam from the drop-down menu.
- Select a test venue from the available options shown for the chosen location.
- Click on “Schedule Appointment” button.
- Now, choose an exam date from the list of dates shown.
- Then, select either the forenoon or the afternoon session for that specific date.
- Click on “Save and Finish” to move on to the next section.
Step 4- Online Payment
- Pay the exam fee using one of the online options.
- Pay the fee within 30 minutes of booking the test location and test date. Otherwise, the booking will be cancelled.
Step 5- Confirmation Page
- After successful payment of fee, the completed NEET MDS Application form will be displayed.
- Use the “Edit Application” button to make any changes.
On the profile page of the application form, the candidate must upload scanned images of his or her photograph and signature. The candidate’s photograph uploaded must not be more than six months old. It must have been taken with a white background and appear clear. Other instructions for the upload of photograph and signature will be available on the screen when applying.
The step by step process to prepare these images for upload is explained below:
- Open the image in MS Paint software.
- Click on the “Resize” button at the top.
- A “Resize and Skew” pop-up window will open.
- In this window, under the “Resize” option, check the “Pixels” button and uncheck “Maintain Aspect Ratio”.
- For the candidate’s photograph, set the Horizontal value as “206” and Vertical value as “265”.
- For the candidate’s signature, set the Horizontal value as “302” and Vertical value as “132”.
- Click on “OK” button and save the picture.
NEET MDS 2017 Application Fee
The application fee amount for NEET MDS 2017 will vary depending on the category of the candidate. The fee must be paid in order to submit the application form successfully. No candidate will be exempted from application fee payment. The details of NEET MDS 2017 Application Fee are provided below: -
|Category||NEET MDS 2017 Fee Amount|
|General candidates||INR 3750|
|OBC candidates||INR 3750|
|SC and ST candidates||INR 2750|
|PWD (PH) candidates||INR 2750|
The application fee will not be refunded or carried forward if the candidate’s application is rejected. If the candidate fails to be present on the day of the exam, he must forfeit the fee.
Mode of Fee Payment
- NEET MDS application fee can be paid only by using online methods of payment. There are no offline options available for the same. Candidates can pay the fee amount by using either a Credit Card or a Debit Card. Internet Banking services can also be used for purpose of fee payment.
- If the candidate chooses to pay via either card options, he or she will have to provide name on the card, card number, expiry date of the card and CVV. If opted for net banking facility, the candidate must provide username and password for the bank account.
- The application fee must be paid within thirty minutes of booking the test centre and exam timing slot. Otherwise, the reservations will be forfeited and the candidate will have to start the entire registration process all over. It is therefore advised to have all payment details ready before starting the application process.
NEET MDS 2017 Admit Card
The NEET MDS Admit Card will be issued to all those candidates who have submitted completed forms within the specified deadline. The admit card will not be sent by post to individual candidates.
The admit card is the primary document that needs to be carried on the day of the exam. The candidate will receive the NEET MDS 2017 Hall Ticket by email. A printout of the admit card must be taken and a photograph affixed in the appropriate place. The photograph must be according to the indicated specifications.
Steps to download NEET MDS Admit Card are given below
- NEET MDS admission card can be downloaded after it is received in the registered e-mail ID of the candidate.
- The candidate is required to click on the link to download the admit card.
- Print a copy of the admit card and fix a latest passport size photograph.
There are 41 test centres all across the country where the NEET MDS 2017 exam will be conducted. Candidates can choose any one of them according to their convenience.
NEET MDS 2017 Exam Pattern
NEET MDS Exam Pattern will help students understand how to prepare for it. NEET MDS will be conducted in online mode or in computer based format. Test takers will have a total of 3 hours to attempt about 240 questions.
The questions will have objective type questions, out of which only one will be correct. Candidates must mark what they think is the most suitable answer. There is no negative marking for wrong or incorrect answers. So, it is advised to attempt maximum number of questions.
The NEET MDS 2017 Exam Pattern details are mentioned below:
|Mode of exam||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Pattern of exam||MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions)|
|Number of questions||240|
|Total time allotted||3 Hours|
|Negative marking||Not applicable|
NEET MDS 2017 Result
NEET MDS Result will likely be declared on January 15, 2017. All candidates who wish to qualify the exam must score the minimum cut-off marks set by the authorities. The NEET MDS 2017cut-off marks will vary depending on the category the candidate belongs to.
The details are provided below:
|SC, ST and OBC||40 percentile|
|PH (Physically Handicapped)||45 percentile|
Validity of NEET MDS 2017 Results
The NEET MDS 2017 result will be valid only for the current admission session of 2017. It cannot be carried over for admissions into MDS courses for any other year.
Types of Result
There are different kinds of results that will be announced by NBE. These are:
- All India 50% quota seats for MDS (all states except Jammu & Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana)
- State quota seats for MDS of all states / UTs of India (including the states of Andhra Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Telangana)
- Admission to MDS in all Private Medical Colleges / Institutions / Universities / Deemed Universities
- Admission to MDS in AFMS Institutions
NEET MDS 2017 Merit List
The minimum percentile will be decided on the basis of highest marks secured in the NEET MDS 2017 merit list. The different types of NEET MDS 2017 merit list declared by NBE are as given below:
- All India NEET MDS 2017 rank: This is the overall merit position of the candidate.
- All India 50% quota rank: This is the overall merit position of the candidate amongst all those who appeared for All India 50% quota
- All India 50% quota Category Rank: This is the overall merit position of the candidate in the category (OBC/SC/ST) he opted for.
- State quota / Private medical colleges / Deemed University / AFMS Rank
Tie Breaking Criteria
It may so happen that multiple candidates obtain the exact same marks. In such a case, inter se merit will be determined according to age. That is, if two or more candidates secure equal marks in NEET MDS 2017, the older will get a preference over the younger in the NEET MDS Merit list.
NEET MDS 2017 Counselling
NEET MDS counselling will begin after the declaration of results. All those who have qualified the exam will be able to participate in the counselling procedure.
There are several steps involved in the NEET MDS 2017 Counselling process. They are discussed in the section below.
- The first step is the online registration for the exam. The next step is the conducing of the exam at various test centres on the allotted date. After this, the results are declared and NBE shares the results with various colleges and institutions.
- The next stage is the preparation of NEET MDS 2017 Merit List. The category and category wise merit lists are prepared by the respective colleges and institutes according to their rules and norms.
- After this, the candidates will have to apply to the concerned State Medical Directorate / Counselling Authority(s) of States / UT / Private Universities / Medical colleges / institutes based on their own discretion. NBE plays no role in the seat allotment process.
- Now the candidates will be required to participate in the Counselling process for State quota seats and/or seats in Private Universities / Colleges / Institutes, according to their eligibility and other factors.
Counselling for PG Seats
There are different counselling procedures for various quota seats. These are explained below:
- All India 50% Quota Seats
This counselling will be conducted by Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) of Directorate General of Health Services, Government of India. The counselling will be based on NEET MDS 2017 results for All India 50% Quota Seats.
- State Quota Seats
This counselling will be conducted by the concerned States / designated authority / University using NEET MDS 2017 results, according to their own rules and regulations.
- Private Medical Colleges, Institutes, Universities, Deemed Universities
Counselling for admission into these will be conducted by the designated counselling authority of these Private Colleges / Institutions / Institutes / Universities / Deemed Universities, using NEET MDS 2017 scores, as per their regulations.
- Armed Forces Medical Service Institutions
This Counselling will be conducted by the Directorate General Armed Forces Medical Services (DGAFMS), Ministry of Defence, Government of India, on the basis of NEET MDS 2017 results, according to their own rules and norms.