JEE Main 2017 Reservation Criteria
JEE Main 2018 Reservation of Seats – Admission to B.Tech./ B.E. and B.Arch/ B.Plan programs in NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, SFTIs & various state level institutions is provided through JEE Main. The reservation of seats in JEE Main 2018 is based on the norms of GOI (Government of India) and depends primarily on the quota of seats allocated in a particular institute for each category. The seats reserved for various categories in JEE Main, as per GOI norms are mentioned below:
|Category||JEE Main Reservation of Seats|
|OBC (Other Backward Classes) belonging to Non Creamy Layer||7.5%|
|Persons with Disability (40% or More)||3%|
Read More About JEE Main Eligibility
JEE Main Reservation of seats in IITs, NITs, CFTIs
- Reservation of seats in IITs, NITs and CFTIs will be based upon the classes/castes/tribes mentioned in the respective central list published by the Govt. of India.
JEE Main Reservation in State Engineering Colleges
- The reservation rules of the state will apply admission to State Engineering Colleges for candidates applying through JEE Main.
JEE Main Reservation for Women
- Every college has 5% reservation for women.
Instructions to Claim JEE Main Reservation
- It is must to mention about your category and its details in JEE Main 2018 Application Form.
- It is mandatory to present the relevant and valid certificates for verification at the time of JEE Main Counselling.
- You must submit your documents at the time of admission to claim reserved seats.
JEE Main 2018 Reservation- Seat Vacancy Quota and Categories
There are several quotas and categories that are applicable in JEE Main Seat Reservation. In NITs (National Institute of Technology), seats are distributed among 2 quotas primarily – Home State and Other State.
- Home State Quota (HS): For Candidates from same state
- Other State Quota (OS): For Candidates applying in a different state
Note: Full Home State Quota at the nearest NIT will be made available in case of Union Territory without any NIT (Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep & Kandvi, Daman & Diu, and Dadra & Nagar Haveli). Thus, the HS quota will be made available at NIT at Durgapur, Calicut and Surat respectively for these UTs. This quota will be supernumerary – over and above the original Home State Quota of each institute. Candidates belonging to these UTs are also eligible for the seats in NITs other than their “Home State” under “Other State” quota.
- JEE Main Reservation in Other Central Institutes: In CFTIs, IIITs and SFTIs, the seats are allocated on the basis of HS/OS/All India Quota, as applicable.
- JEE Main Reservation in State Engineering Colleges: As far as admissions to state engineering colleges, who have opted for admission through JEE Main, are concerned, the reservation rules of that state will be applied.
- CSAB also allows candidates to apply for other reserved categories too, on the basis of a fix rule. The following list classifies the quota on the basis of accepted categories.
|Seat Category||Category Tags of Eligible Candidates|
|Open||Gen, OBC-NCL, SC, ST, GEN-PwD, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC-PwD, ST-PwD|
|OBC-NCL||OBC-NCL and OBC-NCL-PwD|
|SC||SC and SC-PwD|
|ST||ST and ST-PwD|
|Open PwD||GEN PwD, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC-PwD, ST-PwD|
What is HS and OS Quota in JEE Main?
Since the seat vacancy for JEE Main in NITs is primarily divided into 2 categories i.e, HS and OS, candidates should know what these categories actually mean.
HS (Home State) Quota: Under this quota, 50% of seats are reserved for candidates on the basis of their state of eligibility i.e., the state from where the candidates has completed Class 11th and 12th. The home state quota of a candidate would be calculated as per candidate’s AIR (All India Rank).
OS (Other State) Quota: In OS quota, seats are reserved for candidates beyond home state quota. Almost 50% seats are reserved for candidates from other states & UTs under OS quota.
This comprises JEE Main aspirants who are applying from other states and union territories, apart from the home state.
|Name of premiere Institutes||Reservation criteria|
NIT (Other State Quota)
50% seats reserved for candidates belonging to all other states and Union Territories excluding Home State.
NIT (Home Quota)
50% seats are reserved.
Centre Funded Technical Institutes
Based on Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota.
State Funded Technical Institutes
Based on Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota
Based on Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota.
Government Funded Technical Institutes
Based on all india Quota.
State engineering colleges
Based on state Quota
Rank List for Reserved Category
CSAB/JoSAA releases different rank list for every reserved category along with a common rank list. The following TYPES of rank lists have been notified by JEE Apex Board for JEE (Main) 2016:
- Common rank list (CRL): It includes candidates who are assigned the tag GEN, GEN-PwD, OBC-NCL, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC, SC-PwD, ST or ST-PwD.
- OBC-NCL rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag OBC-NCL or OBC-NCL-PwD.
- SC rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag SC or SC-PwD.
- ST rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag ST or ST-PwD.
- CRL-PwD rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag GEN-PwD, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC-PwD or ST-PwD.
- OBC-NCL-PwD rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag OBC-NCL-PwD.
- SC-PwD rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag SC-PwD.
- ST-PwD rank list: It includes candidates who are assigned the tag ST-PwD.
Sequence Of Reserved Seats Category
The sequence of categories in the order they appear in the JEE Main Rank List is indicated in the table below for the reference of the candidates.
|Candidate’s category tag||Rank list(s) in which the candidate appears||Sequence of SEAT CATEGORIES for allocation|
|GEN-PwD||CRL CRL-PwD||1. OPEN 2. OPEN-PwD|
|OBC-NCL||CRL OBC-NCL||1. OPEN 2. OBC-NCL|
|OBC-NCL-PwD||CRL CRL-PwD OBC-NCL OBC-NCL-PwD||1. OPEN 2. OPEN-PwD 3. OBC-NCL 4. OBC-NCL-PwD|
|OBC-NCL-PwD||CRL-PwD OBC-NCL OBC-NCL-PwD||1. OPEN-PwD 2. OBC-NCL 3. OBC-NCL-PwD|
|OBC-NCL-PwD||CRL-PwD OBC-NCL-PwD||1. OPEN-PwD 2. OBC-NCL-PwD|
|SC||CRL SC||1. OPEN 2. SC|
|SC-PwD||CRL CRL-PwD SC SC-PwD||1. OPEN 2. OPEN-PwD 3. SC 4. SC-PwD|
|SC-PwD||CRL-PwD SC SC-PwD||1. OPEN-PwD 2. SC 3. SC-PwD|
|ST||CRL ST||1. OPEN 2. ST|
|ST-PwD||CRL CRL-PwD ST ST-PwD||1. OPEN 2. OPEN-PwD 3. ST 4. ST-PwD|
|ST-PwD||CRL-PwD ST ST-PwD||1. OPEN-PwD 2. ST 3. ST-PwD|
How to Obtain Category Certificate?
- Candidates applying for seats under reserved category must produce a valid caste/medical certificate amd any other requisite documents in the prescribed format at the time of JEE Main Seat Allotment.
- SC/ST/OBC-NCL category candidates are required to obtain a caste certificate from the competent authorities mentioned below.
- PwD candidates have to provide a medical certificate issued by duly constituted medical board in the prescribed format.
Obtaining Category Certificate for SC/ST and OBC-NCL
The authorities competent to issue Caste Certificates are indicated below:
- District Magistrate / Additional Magistrate / Collector / Deputy Commissioner / Additional Deputy Commissioner / Deputy Collector / Ist Class Stipendiary Magistrate / Sub-Divisional magistrate / Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Commissioner (not below the rank of Ist Class Stipendiary Magistrate).
- Chief Presidency Magistrate / Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate / Presidency Magistrate.
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar’ and
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and / or his family resides.
JEE Main Reservation for PwD
- There is 3% resrvation of seats for PwD (Persons with Disability) category.
- This reservation is exclusively meant for candidates with 40% or more physical disability.
- All the candidates seeking reservation under PwD category must carry the disability certificate in the prescribed format by competent authority.
- All the candidates under PwD category will get a relaxation of 5 years in Upper Age limit at the time of completing JEE Main Registration.
Obtaining Disability Certificate
The disability certificate can be obtained (find the format below) by Chief Medical Officer (CMO) in the district or by any government doctor. If the certificate has been obtained by a private practitioner CMO needs to attest the certificate. Several forms are needed to be filled for different cases of disability
Form II is for amputation or complete permanent paralysis of limbs and in case of blindness
Form III is for Multiple Disabilities
Form IV is for disabilities other than Form II and III.