IES- Indian Engineering Services
Indian Engineering Services or IES is a recruitment exam, conducted by Union Public Services Commission (UPSC). IES is conducted to recruit engineers to various posts offered by the Government of India. IES exam is also known as ESE (Engineering Services Examination) which is held only for the core engineering fields namely –
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Civil Engineering,
- Mechanical Engineering and
- Electrical Engineering.
Listed below are some important points to note for IES Exam:
- UPSC will release the official notification for IES 2018 in last week of September 2017.
- As per IES Eligibility, a bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University to apply for IES 2018.
- Candidates satisfying the eligibility can then fill in IES Application Form from October 2017.
- All candidates who register successfully will appear for IES 2018 in January 2018. The exam will be conducted in offline mode.
- ESE is conducted in three phases – Preliminary, Main and Personality Test/ Interview.CheckIES Exam Pattern
Highlights of IES Exam
|Exam Name||Indian Engineering Services or Engineering Services Examination|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Services Commission|
|Posts Offered||Assistant Executive Engineering|
|No. of seats offered||500 approx|
IES 2018 Exam Dates
IES 2018 notification is yet to be released by UPSC. IES Application Form 2018 will be available till the last week of September 2017. IES 2018 exam date for all the stages and other important events are listed below:
|Release of IES 2018 notification||September 28, 2017|
|IES Online Registration Begins from||September 28, 2017|
|Last Date of applying online for IES 2018||November 03, 2017|
|IES 2018 Preliminary Exam||January 08, 2018|
|IES 2018 Mains Exam||May 14, 2018|
|IES 2018 Personal Interview||November 01, 2018 onwards|
|Declaration of IES Result (Final)||December 2018|
IES Eligibility Criteria
It is necessary to satisfy IES Eligibility Criteria before applying for IES Exam through UPSC’s online registration process.To apply for various job posts in the core engineering fields such as Civil, Mechanical, Telecommunication & Electronics and Electrical Engineering, candidates must fulfill following eligibility conditions:
- Candidates must be a resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee.
- Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University.
- Age limit for IES 2018 is between 21-30 years of age.
Read More About IES Eligibility Criteria
IES 2018 Registration
UPSC will release IES Application Form online. Candidates have to visit the official website of UPSC i.e. upsc.gov.in to fill in the application form.
- Registration for IES 2018 will begin from September 28, 2017.
- It will be done in 2 parts - Part 1 Registration and Part 2 Registration, followed by the payment of the application fee.
- Candidates have to enter their choice of center in the form and submit the same to proceed to the further step.
- The next step includes uploading of required documents and declaration for final submission.
How to Apply for IES 2018?
The last date to register for the recruitment exam is November 01, 2017. Only one application from a candidate can be submitted. The applicants are advised to check their e-mails to ensure that their applications have been successfully submitted.
The steps followed to fill the IES application form are given below:
Step 1: Registration Part I
Step 2 : Payment of Registration Fee
Step 3 : Registration Part II
Step 4 : Uploading the Images
- The application fee can be remitted via online as well as offline mode.
- Candidate will be redirected to a new page where he/she will have to choose the mode of payment.
- Candidate choosing to pay online, facilities like credit card/debit card or net banking will be available.
- In case of offline mode of payment, a pay-in-slip shall be provided for cash payment at nearest branch of State Bank of India.
- Candidates belonging to general and OBC categories, have to pay INR 200 as their IES Registration Fee.
- However, the reserved category candidates and female candidates are exempted from paying the IES application fees.
IES 2018 Admit Card
- Candidates who complete IES online registration in the scheduled time, will receive IES Admit Card.
- IES admit card for both the written papers are released separately.
- Candidates must take note that the admit card is released 3 weeks before the commencement of the exam.
- IES admit card 2018 can be obtained from the official website of UPSC by entering the required details.
Mentioned below are the steps to download IES 2018 Admit Card:
- Visit the official website of UPSC
- Follow the link to download the IES admit card
- Read the instructions mentioned carefully, print them and click on Yes
- Choose the method of downloading i.e. through Registration ID or Roll Number or Name.
- Enter the Registration ID or Roll Number followed by the Date of Birth of the candidate
- Submit after entering the captcha in the given blank field.
- Print the displayed IES Admit Card
Read More About IES Admit Card
IES 2018 Exam Centers
Candidates have to enter their choices for IES Exam for Prelims during the Part II Registration Process.
- The exam centers for IES varies for Prelims and Mains.
- The allotment of the IES Exam Center is done by the Commission on the First Cum First Allot basis.
Exam Centers for IES Prelims
In the following table IES exam centers for Preliminary exam are mentioned:
|IES Exam Centers for Prelims|
Exam Centers for IES Mains
In the given below table, IES exam centers (Mains) are mentioned:
|IES Exam Centers for Mains|
Read About IES Exam Centers
IES 2018 Exam Pattern
IES exam comprises of two written exams and one personality test round. The written exam consists of 2 sections- objective paper and conventional paper. In order to get recruited, a candidate has to clear both the sections of written exam and personality test. Both the sections of the written test covers the entire syllabus of relevant engineering subject (Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering).
There will be negative marking for wrong marked answers in the objective type question papers. IES exam is conducted offline. In the following table, IES exam pattern highlights for Preliminary Exam are represented:
|Sections||Paper 1||Paper 2||Total|
|Time Duration||2 Hours||3 Hours||5 Hours|
|Number of Questions||120 Questions||120 Questions||240 Questions|
|Marks||200 Marks||300 Marks||500 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||1/3 of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty|
|Medium||Only in English Language|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (Each Question has 4 options)|
The scheme of the IES exam (preliminary) is same for all the relevant engineering subject (Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering).
IES exam (Mains) will be evaluated if and only if a candidate scores qualifying marks in the IES Objective Type Paper. The ESE (Mains) consists of 2 conventional type papers- Paper 1 and paper 2. Each of the conventional type paper is of 300 marks.
Read about How to prepare for IES 2018?
In the following table, IES Exam Pattern (Mains) highlights are represented:
|Paper 1 (CE/EE/ME/CE)||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper 2 (CE/EE/ME/CE)||3 Hours||300 Marks|
The medium of the conventional type paper would be only English language. Up to 5% marks may be deducted from the total marks scored by the candidate if his handwriting is not easily legible.
Personality Test: 200 marks are allotted to the personality test (interview test). Special attention is paid in assessing the ability of the candidate for initiative, leadership, intellectual curiosity and other social qualities.
Know More About IES Exam Pattern
IES 2018 Result
IES Result will be declared separately for each stage of the Engineering Services Examination. IES Prelims Result will be declared in March 2018. This will help candidate to qualify for the Mains exam of IES Exam, which is a subjective test. Each kind of paper consists of 2 sections. A candidate has to clear both the sections in order to qualify for the recruitment process. Result of the candidate will be displayed in a PDF sheet. Qualified candidates can check their results by entering their roll number in the search box.
Candidate who scores marks equivalent to the marks in IES Cut off for Preliminary and Main examination qualify for the interview. IES Result (Preliminary) is expected to be declared by the 1st week of March 2018, while the final results of IES 2018 will be out in December 2017.
How to check IES Result?
- Visit the official website of UPSC.
- Click on the Active Examinations
- Click on the link of Engineering Service Examination 2018
- Scroll down and check the link of the result.
- Open the PDF file and search by entering the roll number.
Read More About IES Result
IES Cut Off
IES 2018 cut off would be released by the commission within a week after the declaration of IES result. The candidates who have scored minimum qualifying marks in the written examination will be called for the personality test. The IES cutoff is decided by UPSC. The candidates who score more than the desired cutoff declared by UPSC will be provided final allotment.
The IES Cut off varies according to the category, for which a candidate has applied. IES cutoff also varies for the candidates belonging to different reserved categories.
Check IES Cut off
In the following table, IES cutoff 2015 for various categories is mentioned-
|IES CUT OFFS||General||Oher Backward Class (OBC)||Scheduled Caste (SC)||Scheduled Tribe (ST)|
|IES Cut off in Section I (out of 600 marks)||262||228||180||187|
|IES Cut off in Written Exam (out of 1000 marks)||516||470||376||411|
|IES Cut off (out of 1200 marks)||674||630||539||552|
|IES Cut off in Section I (out of 600 marks)||305||280||240||236|
|IES Cut off in Written Exam (out of 1000 marks)||521||470||407||394|
|IES Cut off (out of 1200 marks)||661||619||544||551|
|Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering|
|IES Cut off in Section I (out of 600 marks)||325||320||278||247|
|IES Cut off in Written Exam (out of 1000 marks)||558||540||475||447|
|IES Cut off (out of 1200 marks)||700||685||614||572|
|IES Cut off in Section I (out of 600 marks)||279||255||182||107|
|IES Cut off in Written Exam (out of 1000 marks)||482||442||372||339|
|IES Cut off (out of 1200 marks)||640||598||501||463|
IES 2018 Selection Process
The selection procedure for IES 2018 is a 2 stage recruitment process. Candidates are required to clear the following stages in order to get selected for the department personnel-
- Written Examination (Preliminary and Mains)
- Personality Test (Interview)
1. Written Examination
The very first stage in the selection procedure of IES is the written examination. A candidate has to clear both the levels of written examination- preliminary and mains. Preliminary exam has 2 sections- General Ability and Engineering Subject. The level of paper in General Ability Test will be such as may be expected of an Engineering/Science Graduate. While the standard of papers in other subjects will approximately be that of an Engineering Degree Examination of an Indian University.
2. Personality Test
All those candidates who qualify both the written test will be called for the personality test. Personality test (interview test) carries 200 marks. To get recruited for the applied personnel, a candidate has to qualify in each of the test. Document verification and eligibility of the candidate will be checked thoroughly before the personality test.
As per the IES Selection Procedure 2018, the final appointment offer will be granted to the selected aspirants after the declaration of the IES final result. The final merit list of the candidates will be prepared on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the written examination as well as in the personality test.
Read aboutIES Selection Process