GMAT- Eligibility, Exam Date, Pattern, Syllabus
GMAT is conducted by GMAC for admission to more than 5400 programs in various Business Schools around the world. Graduate Management Admission Test is considered as one of the most acceptable platforms for selecting students for MBA Programs.
GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council) which conducts GMAT is the leading non-profit organization formed by leading graduate management schools around the world.
The test is available in 114 countries with more than 600 test centers around the world. Since, the exam is conducted for admission to post graduate programs, minimum eligibility for GMAT is a graduate degree in the exam.
Here are some key highlights about GMAT:
- A candidate can register for GMAT throughout the year. However, the provision of appearing for the test will depend on the availability of Dates and Centers. Check GMAT Registration
- Candidates can appear for GMAT up to five times over a period of 12 months, but no more than once in a month period. Check GMAT 2017 Exam Dates
- Fee for taking GMAT is USD 250 (approximately INR 17,000)
- The exam evaluates four basic skills-Verbal Ability, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude and Analytical Writing. Read More About GMAT Exam Pattern
- The average score accepted by the universities in abroad varies. The top universities accept 710 and average universities accept 600.
- GMAT Scoreand Percentile Rankings are calculated for all the four sections. The Score is released approximately after three weeks of test.
Highlights of GMAT Exam
What is GMAT?
GMAT or the Graduate Management Admission Test is an online test. It intends to assess a candidate’s analytical, writing, quantitative, verbal, and reading skills in written English for use in admission to a graduate management program, such as an MBA.
What is the GMAT Test for?
GMAT is designed to predict how a candidate will perform academically in the course he pursues. It is a 3.5 hours exam. A candidate’s GMAT Score will be accepted by a number of B-schools around the globe.
How many questions are on the GMAT?
GMAT Exam will consist of 4 main sections viz. Verbal Ability, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude and Analytical Writing. The details are represented below:
|GMAT Test Section||No. of Questions||Duration|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||1 Topic||30 Minutes|
|Integrated Reasoning||12 Questions||30 Minutes|
|Quantitative||37 Questions||75 Minutes|
|Verbal||41 Questions||75 Minutes|
How much does it cost to take GMAT?
Globally, the cost to take GMAT is US $250 or approximately INR 17,000. The GMAT Fee for rescheduling is US $50 or INR 3,400. The GMAT Cancellation Fee is US $80 or INR 5,450.
What is the difference between GMAT and GRE?
- GMAT is the standardized test for Business school. Like GRE, it consists of a Verbal and Quantitative section.
- Unlike GRE, the two sections are combined to give a composite score of 800.
- GMAT cannot be used in place of the GRE, so unless you are going to business school, do not take GMAT Exam.
GMAT 2017 Exam Dates
- GMAT Registration is available throughout the year. Candidates can apply for GMAT at any time of the year as per their convenience.
- The GMAT Score Report valid for five years.
- GMAT provides candidates flexibility in context with the examination date, examination centre and the timings of the test as the candidate can choose his own dates and timings.
- However. candidates is allowed to take GMAT Exam only 5 times a year.
- Make sure the test date is in accordance with the application dates for MBA programmes in various colleges.
- Previously, candidates could take the GMAT test only once a month. But GMAC (graduate management admission council ) has reduced this time period to 16 days now.
How to Choose GMAT Exam Date?
- Visit the official website i.e. gmac.com
- Click on ‘Find Test Location’ option
- Choose the country you want to appear from.
- A calendar will appear on the screen showing the available dates corresponding to that center
- Choose date and center as per your convenience
Read More About GMAT Exam Dates
There are certain eligibility criteria to follow to apply for GMAT. A candidate must satisfy certain age criteria and other norms regarding the number of attempts. They are stated below:
- Nationality- Applicants belonging to all countries of the world can apply for the test. There is no restriction regarding the nationality of the applicant.
- Academic Qualification- The minimum academic qualification for admission is a graduate degree from a recognized institute. All participating institutes will have different academic qualifications.
- Age Limit: A candidates applying for GMAT Exam must be 18 years old.
- In case, Candidate’s age vary between 13-17 years then he/she will have to provide a written proof of the guardian’s consent in taking the GMAT Test.
- Number of Attempts: Candidates can appear for GMAT Exam only 5 times in a year.
- Retaking GMAT: Candidates have to wait for minimum 16 days before taking the test again.
- Candidates have to wait at least five years to take the GMAT Exam again if the previously obtained GMAT score is a perfect score of 800.
- Candidates aspiring to take the GMAT Test can register themselves at any time of the year.
- It is advisable that candidates devise a proper timeline prior to registering for the examination.
- The GMAT Registration process is accessible in both online and offline modes.
How to Register for GMAT?
- The first step is to create an account with GMAC in the official website of GMAT.
- Once the account is created the candidates can opt for any of the below mentioned GMAT Registration Processes. The same modes are available for rescheduling or cancelling the GMAT Test:
- Online on the official website of GMAT: The candidate can directly go to the official website of GMAT and get themselves registered.
- Through Phone: This can be done by calling the GMAT Customer Service in your region. In this case, the candidate might be charged an additional fee of US$10.
- Through Postal Mail: If the candidate pays via cheque or money order, this is the only option to register and schedule the GMAT Exam.
Read more about GMAT Registration
How to Schedule GMAT Exam?
- Visit the official website of GMAT.
- Click on ‘Register’ option mentioned in the drop down menu under ‘The GMAT Exam’.
- Click on ‘Schedule a GMAT Exam’
- Enter your Registration details and Create GMAT User Account
- Create GMAT Profile. Provide personal details and academic qualification
- Next step is choosing “test date and test location”.
- Last step is fee Payment. Candidates need to pay Rs 16771.68 (US $ 250).
Note: Candidates availing Phone facility for registration can communicate to the following address as per their region
Telephone (toll-free): +1 (800) 717-GMAT (4628), 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Telephone: +1 (952) 681-3680, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Fax: +1 (952) 681-3681
|Asia Pacific Region|
Telephone: +852 3077 4926, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. AEST In India: +91 120-439-7830, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Indian Standard Time Fax: 6038319 1092
|China Region||Telephone: 86-10-8234-5675, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. China Standard Time Fax: 86-10-61957800|
Telephone: +44 (0) 161 855 7219, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. GMT Fax: +44 (0) 161 855 7301
Globally, the cost to take GMAT is US $250 or approximately INR 17,000. The GMAT Fee for rescheduling is US $50 or INR 3,400. The GMAT Cancellation Fee is US $80 or INR 5,450. A candidate can pay GMAT Fee through both online and offline modes. They are described below:
- Online Payement Modes
- Credit Cards And Debit Cards
- Visa Card
- American Express
Note: If the credit card or debit card is not accepted, the registration will automatically be cancelled and the candidate has to schedule for another appointment with a valid mode of payment.
- Offline GMAT Fee Payment Modes
- Cashier’s cheque
- Money Orders
- Personal cheque
- The above mentioned payment modes must be payable to Pearson VUE-GMAT in US dollars.
- It should be drawn on a US bank.
- The payment must include the full amount including all the applicable taxes.
- The current date must be listed.
- It must have the appropriate signature, the bank name and its address preprinted on the front of the cheque.
- It must be received at least 10 days before the date of the examination.
- In case the cheque is returned due to insufficient funds in the account then Pearson VUE might incur a service fee from the account electronically. In such a situation the appointment will be terminated and the candidate has to proceed for another scheduling of the GMAT Exam.
Rescheduling and Retaking GMAT
GMAC provides the candidates with the option of cancelling the GMAT. For this, a candidate has to visit the official website and click on cancel the GMAT exam. If candidates do so by a given deadline, partial fee will be given of US$80 . For cancelling your test follow the following steps :-
- Visit the official website of GMAC
- Click on cancel your GMAT exam
For rescheduling GMAT exam
Candidates can also reschedule their exam in case
- Visit the official website
- Click on ‘Reschedule Your GMAT Exam’
- Enter Login Id and Password.
- In case you are a new users then click on create an account.
- Enter the details – Name, Last Name, Email Id and Password and click on create button
To reschedule, candidates have to pay the rescheduling fee as follows:-
- If you chose date more than 7 calendar dates of the previously scheduled test date then they have to par US$50(). For every rescheduling you have to pay this amount
- If you chose date within 7 calendar days then candidates have to pay US$ 250/-
GMAT Exam Pattern
- GMAT is a computer adaptive test.
- There atre a total of 91 questions.
- There are 4 sections in GMAT namely, Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative and Verbal Section.
- From Analytical Writing Assessment section, there will be only 1 question and test takers will have 30 minutes to solve it. This section is designed to judge test takers ability to analyze and predict reasons behind a given argument.
- In Integrated Reasoning, 12 questions will be asked and 30 minutes will be given to solve it.
- From Quantitative section, 37 questions will be asked and 75 minutes will be given to solve this section. Questions in this are till class 12th standard.
- The last section is of Verbal, consisting of 41 questions that are to be attempted in 75 minutes.
Here are the highlights of GMAT Pattern:
|Test Section||Number of Questions||Allocated Time|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||1 topic||30 minutes|
|Integrated Reasoning||12 questions||30 minutes|
|Quantitative||37 questions||75 minutes|
|Verbal||41 questions||75 minutes|
|Total Time||3 hours 30 minutes|
Check GMAT Exam Pattern
GMAC has prescribed the syllabus for GMAT. It has been similar over the years. Candidates are suggested to be thorough with GMAT Syllabus so that they do not get any surprises in the paper. The topics given below are from 10+2 level.
|Test Section||GMAT Syllabus|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||Analysis of Argument|
|Integrated Reasoning||Multi-Source Reasoning, Graphics Interpretation, Two-part Analysis, Table Analysis|
|Quantitative||Data Sufficiency, Problem Solving|
|Verbal||Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, Sentence Correction|
Cracking GMAT is not a cake-walk. One needs to follow a solid test plan to crack, along with good preparation materials. Before starting to proceed for GMAT Preparation, one must gather all the necessary resources and the available GMAT Books and materials. Mentioned below are some recommended books and preparation material for GMAT:
- GMATPrepSoftware: This is a free software for the candidates who have registered with the official website of GMAT. This tool will work as an experiential tool for the test takers of GMAT as it uses the same technology as to the official exam and provides the users with scores. The various features of GMAT Prep software are:
- Ninety free questions – 30 Quantitative, 45 Verbal, and 15 Integrated Reasoning – with answers and explanations
- Tools to create your own practice question set
- Two full-length practice tests with answers (note that detailed explanations of answers are not included)
- GMAT® Total, Verbal, Quantitative, and Integrated Reasoning scores
- A comprehensive math review
- A step-by-step guide to preparing for the GMAT exam
- Ability to extend the GMATPrep® software by purchasing additional questions or exams
GMATPrep is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows Vista® with SP2; Windows 7® with SP1; Windows 8.1®; Windows 10®
- Mac: OS X v10.9; OS X v10.10; OS X v10.11
- GMAT Prep Timeline: It offers a step-by-step guide to your personal study plan and includes various links to tips, products, and advice for improving your weak areas and enhancing your strengths.
- New! Official GMAT Integrated Reasoning Prep Tool: This is a tool for the candidates to develop their Integrated Reasoning skills. It features a set of 48 questions and solutions that will be of tremendous help in developing the IR skills.
- The Premium Study Collection- This is an official collection of study materials that provide more than 2000 questions from previous GMAT Exams presented in multiple formats. It gives 6 essential study products for cracking the GMAT Exam.
- GMAT Focus Online Quantitative Diagnostic Tool: It acts as a replica of the original GMAT exam. It features 12 Data Sufficiency and 12 Problem-Solving questions for each exam taken. It also provides your strengths and weaknesses and acts as a tool to improve your mathematical skills required to crack the GMAT.
- GMAT Write: This tool provides the users with GMAT writing prompts. It aids the candidates to learn the process of critical thinking and analyzing an argument. This is an essential skill for a business career and hence should be mastered by the candidates for the exam as well as for a successful career.
- The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2017: This tool helps the users to improve their verbal skills required for the GMAT exam. It provides a set of additional 300 questions from the verbal ability section.
- The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review, 2017: This is a tool for preparing and honing the Quantitative skills of the candidates providing 300 questions and their solutions.
- The Basic GMAT Study Collection: It is another preparation resource available at the official store of GMAT providing 1500 GMAT questions and answers. It includes all the following study materials:
- The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 2017
- The Official Guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2017
- The Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review, 2017.
Each candidate who has appeared in GMAT Exam is assessed according to a scale devised by the conducting body. The total GMAT Scoreranges from 200-800 and on an average estimate two-thirds of the GMAT Test takers obtain score 400 to 600.
The GMAT Score scale for each section is detailed below:
- Analytical Writing Assessment- (AWA, 0-6)
- Integrated Reasoning- (IR, 1-8)
- Quantitative- (0-60)
- Verbal- (0-60)
Check Availability of GMAT Score
- The GMAT Score is made available to the test takers and his preferred Score recipients (Schools and Institutes) three weeks after the test.
- An unofficial GMAT Score Report can be obtained just after the test is taken.
- But this report will not contain the AWA Score and is not acceptable by the schools and organizations.
- The unofficial report will include your Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, and the Total GMAT scores. This score report can be used to determine:
- If you are eligible enough for the schools of your choice.
- Whether you want to re-attempt the test.
How to access GMAT Score?
- GMAT Score is accessible on the official website of GMAT i.e. gmac.com
- Once it is made available, it can be accessed at any time of the year.
- Candidates will be sent an email in their registered Email ID which will include a unique link.
- This Email will be received within 20 days of taking the test.
- They have to use the unique link in order to view their official sample GMAT Score Report.
- The Email will also include instructions on how to access the GMAT Official Score Report.
Note: In circumstances when the candidate has no longer access to the email with the link. They can contact the GMAT Customer Service or the Pearson VUE by phone for assistance.
Download Sample GMAT Score Report
Validity of GMAT Score
- Candidates can use their GMAT Score up to 5 years.
- The GMAT Score can be used for to pursue MBA program and for getting a job, as many recruitment companies use GMAT Score for providing jobs.
- If a candidate is not satisfied with his GMAT Result, he can retake GMAT Exam.
- However, a candidate can appear for GMAT for 5 times only in one year i.e. duration of 12 months.
GMAT Contact Details
Telephone lines are open Monday-Friday in each region, except on local national holidays. If you have questions about the GMAT® exam, please contact GMAT Customer Service in your region:
Please Note: Email services are offered Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT. Emails sent outside of these hours will receive a response the following business day. Telephone services are available Monday-Friday at the following numbers and times:
Email: GMATCandidateServicesAmericas@pearson.com Telephone (toll-free): +1 (800) 717-GMAT (4628), 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT Telephone: +1 (952) 681-3680, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Fax: +1 (952) 681-3681
Email: GMATCandidateServicesAPAC@pearson.com Telephone: +852-3077-4926, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. AEST In India: +91 120-439-7830, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Indian Standard Time Fax: +91-120-4001660
Please Note: Email services are available Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. China Standard time. Response time for email sent outside of these times may be up to 48 hours. Telephone services are available Monday-Friday at the following numbers and times:
Email: email@example.com Phone: +86-10-82345675, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. China Standard Time Fax: +86-10-61957800
Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA) Region
Please Note: Email services are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. GMT. Response time for email sent outside of these times may be up to three business days. Telephone services are available Monday-Friday at the following numbers and times:
Email: GMATCandidateServicesEMEA@pearson.com Telephone: +44 (0) 161 855 7219, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. GMT Fax: +44 (0) 161 855 7301
Ques. What is a computer adaptive test?
Ans. GMAT is a question-wise adaptive test. It adapts itself to your performance while you are taking the test. While the test typically starts with a medium difficulty question, the question difficulty level changes based on whether you are getting questions right or wrong. If you are getting questions right, the question difficulty level rises and you start seeing more difficult questions. Likewise, if you are getting questions wrong, you start seeing easier questions. Based on your performance in the test section at different difficulty levels, your score is calculated.
Since the next question is generated based on your performance in current question(s), you can’t revisit a previous question. Also, you MUST answer a question (regardless of whether you are able to solve it or not) in order to proceed to the next question.
Ques. While taking GMAT, if I suddenly get an easy question, does that mean that I got the previous question wrong?
Ans. Don’t panic. You might have encountered one of the experimental questions. Also, the GMAT’s algorithm does not work in a simple, linear format – it is more complex than we think it is. Therefore, it is technically possible for you encounter an easy question even if you are getting questions right. Finally, remember that ‘easy’ is a relative term – what seems easy to you might not be easy to others. Therefore, don’t waste your test time thinking on these and instead focus on the upcoming questions.
Ques. Are all GMAT questions scored/do all GMAT questions count?
Ans.No. About 20%-30% are experimental questions that do not impact your score and are designed to help GMAC evaluate questions for future tests.
Ques. What is the maximum score on the GMAT?
Ans. The GMAT score range is between 200 and 800. Very few people get 200 or 800, the majority, however falls between 400 and 600. The average score is about 550.
Ques. How do I send my GMAT scores to the Schools?
Ans.Before or after the test, you will have a chance to enter up to 5 schools names that will automatically receive your GMAT score about 20-30 days after you take the test. You can also request for additional score reports to be sent, but it will cost $28. Some applicants prefer not to send any reports to any schools unless they are sure they received a good score, so they will actually order additional reports after they receive the score confirmation.
Ques. What documents should I carry on the test day?
Ans. If you are a Non-US applicant (e.g. if you are from India) - you must carry a VALID PASSPORT with a recent, recognizable photo (mandatory) and Appointment Confirmation Letter / Email sent by Pearson VUE.
Ques. Is there any penalty for not completing a section in GMAT?
Ans. Yes. GMAT penalizes you if you run out of time and are not able to complete the section. Therefore, it is also important to focus on time-management aspects on the test. This is something that can be perfected only with practice.