GATE Result is announced by Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Guwahati) on GATE official website, www.gate.iitg.ernet.in. They are expected to be out in March 2018. Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE) is conducted once a year, in multiple sessions.
Listed below are some quick facts related to GATE Result 2018:
- The results will be released online by the conducting body
- To access it, log in through GOAPS login credentials – Enrollment ID and Password
- Candidates securing marks equal to or above the qualifying marks as per their category can download their GATE Scorecard. Check GATE Cut off
- GATE Scores are valid upto 3 years
- GATE Results are calculated out of 100 marks. And, GATE Scores are displayed out of 1000 marks
- In case of any variation in the paper, normalization procedure will be adopted to derive a conclusion. Check GATE Normalization Procedure
GATE Scores can be used for following purposes:
- To pursue Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
- Recruitment in PSUs like BHEL, ONGC, SAIL, GAIL
- Admissions to Foreign Universities
- Admission to ME/ M.Tech./ Ph.D in IITs/ NITs/ CFTIs and other universities of India
Highlights of GATE Result 2018
|GATE Result will be declared on||March 2018|
|GATE Cut Off 2018 will be released on||March 2018|
|GATE Result will be declared by||IIT Guwahati|
|GATE Result will be declared at||www.gate.iitg.ernet.in|
|Result will display||Name, Marks Obtained, AIR|
Important Dates Related to GATE Result 2018
IIT Guwahati will release official schedule for GATE 2018 shortly. The following table depicts the tentative dates for GATE Result 2018:
|GATE Exam||February 2018|
|Release of GATE 2018 Result||March 2018|
|Release of GATE 2018 Score Card||March 2018|
|Score Card Available for Download without fee||March/ May 2018|
|Score Card Available for Download with Fee||May/ December 2018|
|Validity of GATE Score Card||March 2021|
How to Check GATE 2018 Result?
GATE Result will be declared in March 2018 at GOAPS website, which is the official interface for GATE exam. As no result/ score card will be delivered physically to candidates by IIT Guwahati. Therefore, GATE Result has to be downloaded from the official website.
Following are the steps for downloading GATE Result 2018:
- Visit the official website for GATE
- Click on “GATE Result” tab
- Enter your Registration Number, Roll Number and Date of Birth
- Verify the accuracy of the mentioned credentials
- Post verification, click on ‘Submit’ button
- GATE Result will be displayed containing your Name, Registration Number, Examination Paper, Marks Obtained and Qualifying Marks
Details Mentioned on GATE Result
- Candidate’s Name
- Candidate’s GATE 2018 Roll Number
- GATE 2018 Examination and Paper Code
- Marks out of 100
- Qualifying Marks for corresponding GATE Paper
- Qualified Candidates will also have AIR on GATE Result
Read About GATE IIT Counselling
How to Check GATE Score?
Post declaration of GATE result, candidates can download GATE Score Card through GATE Online Application Process System (GOAPS). The time period to check the scores is limited and is defined by the conducting body.
GATE Score Card is an essential document during the admission process. GATE Score Card will be available for only those candidates who qualify the examination.
How to Download GATE Score Card?
- Visit GOAPS Website
- Enter GATE 2018 Enrollment ID, Password and Captcha
- Click on ‘Submit’ Button
- GATE 2018 Score Card will appear on screen
- Save it and Download for future reference
The information displayed on GATE 2018 Score Card are as follows-
- Candidate’s Name – name of candidate who appeared for the exam.
- Registration No. – This is the number as issued to the candidate at the time of GATE Registration
- Gender – is candidate appearing for the exam is Male or Female
- Examination Paper – the program or paper he or she is interested to give
- Marks out of 100 – this is the result that is released to convey a candidate if he/ she has qualified the exam or not.
- GATE Score Valid (From Date; To Date) – the scores for GATE is valid for 3 years. This will tell a specific time period till the scores can be used for admissions or recruitments.
- GATE Score (out of 1000)
- All India Rank in the examination – It tells a candidate’s rank at national level
- GATE Qualifying Marks for General, OBC (NCL) and SC/ST/PwD candidates
- Number of candidates who participated in the examination
- QR Code – each scorecard will have its individual QR code. This helps in maintaining a candidate’s uniqueness.
- Photograph and Signature – photo and sign of a candidate as uploaded at the time of registration will be displayed on the document.
If a candidate wishes to receive a soft copy of the score card, they will have to make a payment of ₹ 500 through GOAPS.
Availability of GATE 2018 Score Cards
GATE score cards are generated relating to the result of candidate. The score card shall be provided to the following candidates:
- All SC/ST/PwD candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of SC/ST/PwD candidates in their respective papers
- All other candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of OBC (NCL) candidates in their respective papers.
Normalization and Calculation of GATE Score
GATE Scores are normalized to take into consideration various variations in the multiple papers as conducted. These variations could be related to various factors and especially the difficulty level of the examination. This normalization is based on the assumption that in a multi-session GATE Examination, the abilities of candidates are equally distributed across all the sessions.
This is an important assumption as the number of candidates that appear for multi-examination is generally large and candidates are randomly allocated these sessions. The exam authority also makes sure that the number of candidates in each session are of same order of magnitude.
Read About GATE SCORE CALCULATION
The formula generated to calculate the normalized mark of the jth candidate in the ith session is;
: Actual marks obtained by the j th candidate in i th session
: Average marks of the top 0.1% of candidates considering all sessions
: Sum of mean and standard deviation marks of candidates in the paper considering all sessions
: Average marks of the top 0.1% of candidates in the i th session
: Sum of the mean marks and standard deviation of the i th session
The score is calculated using a certain formula which is defined below;
M : marks obtained by candidate (actual marks for single session papers and normalized marks for multi-session papers)
: qualifying marks for general category candidate in the paper
: mean of marks of top 0.1% or top 10 (whichever is larger) of candidates who appeared in the paper (in case of multi-session papers including all sessions)
: 350, is the score assigned to
: 900, is the score assigned to
In GATE 2018 score formula, Mq is usually 25 marks (out of 100) or +
Opportunities after GATE Exam
Candidates who successfully clear GATE, may opt for one of the below opportunities:
- Admission to Various Engineering Colleges- GATE enables candidates to take admission to courses such as M.E./M.Tech/Ph.D in IITs/NITs/CFITs and other universities in India. Only the lucky ones acquire a seat in one of these prestigious institutes. Post completion of M.Tech., candidates can sway away with lucrative salary packages.
- Recruitment in Various PSU’s- An excellent GATE Score is a gateway to job placements in some of the top Public Sector Undertaking (PSU’s) such as BHEL, GAIL, ONGC, IOCL, etc. These PSU’s offer a secured job along with multiple employee benefits. For this, a candidate must obtain the required cutoff, specified by each PSU, to seek recruitment. Check Here PSU Through GATE 2018
- Pursue Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)- GATE Score is a valid parameter for candidates to apply for Junior Research Fellowship(JRF) & Senior Research Fellowship(SRF) in CSIR Laboratories. They may also be entitled to stipend between ₹ 15,000/- to ₹ 20,000/- for CSIR laboratories.
- Admission to Foreign Universities- Candidates with an excellent GATE Result may apply in foreign universities too. Some of the big names include RWTH Aachen, TU Munich, National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU, Singapore).
- Scholarships- To encourage students to pursue Masters’ degree, MHRD provides Scholarship/ Assistance to the deserving candidates. A financial assistance of ₹ 11,800 per month is given to GATE qualified candidates. This aid helps students during their course and thesis work.
Read About GATE CSIR Junior Research Fellowship
GATE 2018 M.Tech Admission
A valid GATE Score/Result can be helpful in getting a seat in M.Tech. programme in one of the top IIT’s, IISc or other universities in India/ Abroad. Each institute has different admission criteria. Candidates can refer the below table to read about individual admission criteria of different institutes:
|IIT Madras M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Delhi M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Roorkee M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Guwahati M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Bombay M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Kanpur M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Kharagpur M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Gandhinagar M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT BHU M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Jodhpur M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Hyderabad M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Patna M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
|IIT Mandi M.Tech admission 2018||Click Here|
PSUs Accepting GATE Score
- Most of the Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) actively recruit candidates with valid GATE Result.
- The application process for many of these is underway. Candidates must not forget to fill the application form of the respective PSU in the specified time.
- The ones who qualify GATE Cutoff, will be eligible for final selection.
The table given below shows the on-going and upcoming application process of PSU Recruitment through GATE 2018.
|Name of PSU||Application Dates (Tentative)||Links|
|BSNL||March 6 – April 6, 2018||Click Here|
|WBSEDCL||February 27 – March 24, 2018||Click Here|
|Power Grid||March 9 – March 31, 2018||Click Here|
GATE 2018- Year-wise Statistics
The below graph and table elaborate the year-wise statistics for students who appeared in GATE from 2006-2016. They helps us analyse how many candidates registered, appeared and qualified GATE over the years.
|Year||Registered||Appeared||Qualified||Appeared (%)||Qualified (%)|
GATE Cutoff will be published soon after GATE Result is declared in March. GATE Cutoff is the minimum marks that a candidate must secure to qualify GATE. Cutoff score enables institutes and various PSU’s to select candidates as per their category. The difficulty level of GATE is too high. Hence, GATE cutoff is much lower. The cutoff for GATE is declared stream-wise and varies according to candidate’s category. Based on this cutoff, institutes will be publishing their merit list for M.E./ M.Tech. admissions 2018. GATE qualified candidates will also be eligible for Government offered scholarships, stipends and allowances.
GATE Result FAQs
Ques. Is it confirmed that the result will be declared on 27 March?
Ans. The IIT Guwahati holds the authority to declare the result for GATE 2018. The tentative date given is March 27, 2018. It is advised to keep in touch with the official website of GATE 2018 few days before the scheduled date. The results will be announced on the official website on the scheduled date and it shall update the score card as well from March 27, 2018 to May 26, 2018.
Ques. What is the formula for the percentile?
Ans. Percentile calculation is the initial step to calculation of the score of GATE 2018. It requires the knowledge of two basic entities i.e. total number of candidates below the existing candidate and the total number of candidates participating in the examination. It is defined as the product of number of candidates with scores below the existing candidate with 100 divided by total number of candidates appearing for the examination.
Percentile Score = (100 x number of candidates with scores below the existing candidate)/Total number of candidates appearing for the examination
Ques. If I don’t receive the score card online what should I do?
Ans. The score card can be obtained on the official website from the March 27, 2018 to May 26, 2018. Candidates need to keep themselves prepared with the registration ID and password given to them during the application process. If in case the score card isn’t available on the official website then retry by refreshing or logging in again. If in case the discrepancy continues then contact the conducting authority of the examination.