GATE 2018 - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted every year for admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. in the field of engineering and technology. It is conducted on rotational basis by zonal IITs and IISc Bangalore. For this year, IIT Guwahati will hold the exam. The notification for GATE 2018 was released on July 05, 2017 at www.gate.iitg.ac.in.
Listed below are key points related to GATE 2018:
- GATE 2018 is scheduled for February 03, 04, 10 and 11, 2018.
- As per GATE Eligibility, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree to appear for GATE.
- The form filling process will commence from September 01, 2017. GATE Registration will be carried out at GATE 2018 official website.
- Application Fee for centers outside India was USD 50. But, from this year, GATE Application Fee is USD 100.
- The questions asked in the exam are based on topics of graduate level. CheckGATE 2018 Syllabus
GATE Official Notification
The national level exam is a computer based test with 65 Questions to be solved within 3 hours. Two types of questions are asked in GATE – Objective Type and Numerical Type. Virtual calculators will be provided to solve numerical type questions. CheckGATE Exam Pattern
Highlights of GATE 2018
|Exam Name||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Guwahati)|
|Exam Date||February 03, 04, 10 and 11, 2018|
|Mode of Examination||Online – Computer Based Test|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|No. of Test Takers||Approx 9 lac|
GATE 2018 Exam Dates
IIT Guwahati has released the official dates for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Tabulated below are the exam dates for GATE 2018:
|Commencement of GATE Registration||September 01, 2017|
|Last date for GATE 2018 Application Form submission||October 05, 2017|
|Corrections in GATE 2018 application form||2nd week of October 2017|
|Last date for request for change in examination city||November 17, 2017|
|GATE 2018 Admit Cards will be available from||January 05, 2018|
|GATE 2018 Exam Dates||February 03, 04, 10 and 11, 2018|
|GATE Answer Key 2018||1st week of March 2018|
|GATE 2018 results are expected to be declared on||March 17, 2018|
|Downloading of GATE 2018 score cards will begin from||Last week of March 2018 to last week of May 2018|
|Counselling procedure begins||2nd week of April 2018|
What is GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering?
- GATE is an annual online test with multiple choice and numerical type questions conducted for 23 disciplines of engineering. The questions are mostly fundamental, concept based and thought provoking.
- Application for GATE exam can be made through online mode. For Updates on GATE 2018 Application, Admit Card & Result Candidates can check our page for GATE 2018 Registration Form or directly visit www.gate.iitr.ernet.in
- GATE 2018 examination shall also be held for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E).
- GATE Exam consists 65 questions divided in three section 1. General Aptitude 2. Engineering Mathematics 3. From Respective Subjects. Questions can be of two type Numerical and Objective. Virtual Calculator will be provided for Numerical questions.Read Complete GATE Exam Pattern
|GATE Exam Dates||February 03, 04, 10 and 11, 2018|
|No. Of Papers||23|
|Examination Mode||Online (Computer Based)|
|No. of Questions||65|
|Conducting Body||IIT Guwahati|
|GATE Result Date||March 17, 2018|
Latest M.Tech Application Forms Available
GATE 2018 Admit Card
GATE 2018 Admit Card will be available on January 05, 2018. One has to visit the official website of GATE to download the document. One must print multiple copies of Admit card for GATE 2018 to avoid discrepancies on the exam day.
- Admit Card carries candidate’s name, location of the exam center, photograph, and signature of the candidate.
- It is mandatory to verify the given information before downloading GATE Admit card
- In case of any discrepancy, immediately report the conducting authority i.e. IIT Guwahati.
Download GATE Admit Card by following the steps given below:
- Candidates have to visit the official Website
- Click on the GATE 2018 Admit Card Link
- Enter the Registration Number and Password
- Candidate’s admit card will display on screen
- Take the Printout of GATE Admit Card
GATE 2018 Exam Dates
GATE Registration will commence from September 01, 2017. Candidates waiting for GATE 2017 Admit Card can download it from the official website. The exam is scheduled between February 03, 2017 and February 11, 2017. The detailed schedule for GATE 2017 is provided below:
|Gate Online Application Processing System(GOAPS)opens||September 01, 2017 (0:00 hrs)||Friday|
|Last date for submission of Online Application form||October 05, 2017 (23:59 hrs)||Thursday|
|Last date to make correction in GATE Application form (Minor changes)||November 2017||-|
|Availability of GATE admit card online||January 05, 2018||Friday|
GATE 2017 Exam Dates
Forenoon session- 9:00 a.m- 12:00 p.m.
Afternoon session- 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
February 04, 2018
February 10, 2018
February 11, 2018
|Saturday And Sunday|
|Declaration of GATE Results on www.gate.iitg.ac.in||March 17, 2018(18:00 hrs)||Saturday|
GATE 2018 Exam Schedule
The exam schedule for GATE 2018 is released by IIT Guwahati on the official website. Candidates have to appear for GATE Exam according to their Paper Code. The table below gives the details of GATE Exam Schedule for different branches of engineering:
|Date||Session||Time (IST)||Test Paper Codes|
|February 2018||1||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||ME, AR, TF|
|2||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||ME, AG, GG|
|February 2018||3||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||EC, BT, CY, EY, PI|
|4||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||EC, AE, MA, MT, PE, PH|
|February 2018||5||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CS, EE|
|6||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||CS, EE|
|February 2018||7||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CE, CH, MN|
|8||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||CE, IN, XE, XL|
GATE 2018 Paper Pattern
Every candidate can apply for one stream among all the 23 papers for which GATE 2018 is conducted. GATE 2018 Exam Pattern might seem a little confusing at first as it varies for different disciplines. GATE is an online mode examination with 65 questions to be solved in 3 hours. The total weightage of the GATE Exam is 100 marks.
|Mode of Examination||Online/ Computer-based Test|
|Total no. of questions||65|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Sections in paper||Two, i.e. General Aptitude and Subject Specific|
- There will be two types of questions Objective type and Numerical Type (NAT). In NAT question, there will be no choices. Answer is to be entered manually with the help of Virtual Calculator.
- XE paper will have a new section on Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. With this, there will be eighth sections (A-H) in XE paper.
Marking Scheme for GATE 2018
- Candidates are marked separately for MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) and NAT (Numerical Answer Type).
- For every correct answer in MCQ, candidates are awarded 1 mark or 2 marks depending on the weightage of the question.
- For every incorrect MCQ, candidate loses 0.33 or 0.66 mark for 1 marker or 2 marker respectively.
- For Numerical Answer Type, every correct answer is awarded 1 mark or 2 marks as per the marks allotted to the question. There is no negative marking for such questions.
Read More GATE Exam Pattern
GATE 2018 Syllabus
GATE Syllabus is released on the official website by IIT Guwahati for all the 23 disciplines. Candidates should check out the detailed syllabus for the related discipline to identify and focus on the important topics to be asked in the exam. Candidates can click on the links provided below in the table to check GATE 2018 Syllabus for the relevant discipline.
GATE Eligibility Criteria
Candidates interested in applying for GATE 2018 are advised to check the eligibility before filling in the online application form. Candidates can apply for only 1 paper in GATE. The minimum academic qualification to apply for GATE 2018 is indicated below for all the applicants:
- Candidate should hold a Bachelor degree (4 years after 10+2, or 3 years after Diploma) in the related engineering and science stream.
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree programs in any branch of Mathematics/Science/Statistics/Computers Applications or equivalent degree are also eligible to apply for GATE 2018.
- International applicants must also possess a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in the related engineering or science stream.
- Students in the final year of Bachelor’s/Master’s degree are also eligible to apply for the exam.
- There is no stipulated age limit criteria defined for GATE applicants
NOTE: Candidates with a backlog in their qualifying exam have to submit a copy of the final year mark sheets or a declaration from their Principal along with the seal and signature.
GATE 2018 Registration
GATE 2018 Online form is available on the official website from September 01, 2018. It can be filled online through GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System). GATE Registration closes on October 05, 2018. Candidate has to follow 3 steps primarily to register online for GATE 2018.
- Candidate has to register and create a candidate’s login on the website of GOAPS. Provide your email-ID, phone number and create a password to register.
- Then, fill GATE Application Form and upload the scanned images of Photograph and Signature in JPEG format.
- The next step before final submission of GATE Online Application Form is fee payment.
The application fee for female, SC/ST candidates is INR 750 while it is INR 1500 for other candidates. The application fee can be paid in either online or offline mode.
How to fill GATE Online Application Form?
The steps followed to fill the GATE 2018 Online Application form are explained below:
Registration- Visit the official website of GOAPS. Enter few personal details, a valid e-mail ID and mobile number. Create a password which will be used to login later.
Filling GATE 201 Application Form- Enter your personal and educational details in the application form for GATE. Preview the form to verify the information entered and modify the incorrect immediately to avoid discrepancies later. Note that the applications cannot be modified post final submission.
Fee payment- After saving application form candidate can make the payment by net banking, debit card and e-challan. After paying GATE application fees, a fee payment number is generated which candidate can note for the later stages of the GATE Selection process.
GATE Form Correction
GATE Form Correction enables candidates to edit or modify the incorrect information given in the GATE Online Application form. The correction window opens for the candidates who are intimated about any incorrect information.
Candidates can make the following changes in GATE application form:
- Examination City
Instructions for GATE Form Correction
- Candidates can make corrections in Application Form onilne
- Corrections can be done against the online payment
- Challan will not be accepted
Note: Authority will refund all the extra payments. Candidate who does not receive can mail the Authority. Mail should consist of Candidate’s Roll Number, Bank Reference Number, Payment ID and Amount. Mailing Address is email@example.com with subject Extra Payment Refund Request.
Charges for the respective changes in application Form are given below:
|From ST/SC To General/OBC||INR 750|
|From Female to Male/Others||INR 750|
|From PwD to Non PwD||INR 750|
|For Exam City||INR 400|
GATE Application Form Status
Candidates can check GATE Online Application Form Status i.e. whether the authority has received the form or not. It also tells if the application form submitted by the candidate needs any correction or not. Visit GOAPS to check the status of the GATE Online Application. The status will be displayed from one of the below mentioned categories.
- Under Scrutiny
- Defect Status
- Status after Rectification
- Rejected with Valid Reason
Read More: GATE Form Correction
GATE 2018 Answer Key
GATE 2018 Answer Key for all the papers will be published on the official website soon after the exam is conducted. There will be separate question paper and answer key sets for all the separate sessions. The answer keys can be viewed by logging in using Registration details.
Candidates can also challenge any answer in case the correct response is not mentioned on the key. Candidate can challenge the answer key by paying a nominal fee.
GATE 2018 Result
GATE 2017 Result will be declared on March 17, 2017. Candidates can check the result by using their GATE 2018 login credentials (Registration No or Email ID). Candidates those who qualify can download GATE Score card from the official Website of GATE.
Read More: GATE Result
How to Download the GATE Score Card
Candidates qualifying GATE 2018 will be eligible to download their GATE score card. The validity of the score card is for 3 years. Candidates can download the score card from the official website. The steps followed to download the GATE Score Card:
GATE 2018 Counselling
GATE Exam Counselling is done separately by various IITs, NITs and other institutes. Candidates after having qualified in GATE have to appear for GD/ PI for admission. For admissions, candidates have to check notification by GATE participating institutes.
For admission in NITs, IIITs and in some government funded colleges, a centralized counselling– CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech/M.Plan) will be conducted. IITs and IISc will conduct their separate counselling process. Most of the other participating universities and state wise institutions will conduct their own counseling process.
All the IITs conduct their own counselling process for the admission in M.Tech programs.
Read More About GATE Counselling
PSU through GATE 2018
Candidates applying for GATE 2018 will have two options based on GATE score – either to continue with the studies with a Master’s degree or apply for a job with Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) jobs through GATE 2018. All the top PSUs hire graduate engineers based on GATE for various job profiles.
Candidates have to register separately for all the PSUs and GATE. All the PSUs will release their own cutoff based on GATE score. Shortlisted candidates have to appear for the selection rounds conducted separately by all PSUs.
Candidates can check the latest registration dates for various PSUs recruiting through GATE 2018.
|Application form for PSUs||Application Dates|
|BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Center)||January/ February 2018|
|CEL (Central Electronics Limited)||January 2018|
|IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Limited)||January/ February 2018|
|NLC (Neyveli Lignite Corporation)||January 2018|
|MDL (Mazagon Dock Limited)||January/ February 2018|
|BPCL (Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited)||January/ February 2018|
|GAIL (Gas Authority of India Limited) (GAIL)||January/ February 2018|
|NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation)||January/ February 2018|
|BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Limited)||January 2018|
Read More About PSU Recruitment through GATE
GATE Cut off
GAT cut off is the minimum score which must be scored by the candidate in order to reserve a seat. The cut off varies for different institutes, streams and the category of the candidate. Streamwise Cutoffs for GATE 2016.
|Stream||General Category||OBC Category||SC/ST Category|
|Electronics & Communications Engg.(EC)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Computer Science & Information Technology(CS)||25||22.5||16.6|
Benefits of GATE 2018 Score Card
GATE Result is expected to be released on the official website one month after the exam has been conducted. GATE Scorecard is valid for 3 years. GATE Scorecard validates that the candidate appeared and qualified GATE. The benefits of GATE Scorecard are enlisted below:
Enrollment to Masters and Ph.D. Programs
A decent GATE Score can fulfill any aspiring engineer’s dream of studying from an IIT or NIT. GATE enables candidates to seek admissions in M.Tech. /M.E. / M.S. in their respective discipline in IITs or NITs or institutes in Germany and Singapore depending on the GATE Cutoff released by them.
Institutes such as IIT, Bombay offer admissions to Ph.D., PGDM, and PGDIE programs right after graduation on the basis of GATE Score. Some IIMs reserve seats for admissions to doctoral programs through GATE.
MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development) provides scholarships to candidates on the basis of the GATE Score. Candidates who opt for PG courses through GATE 2018 are given scholarships by MHRD. CSIR laboratories offer Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowships (SRF) to GATE Qualifiers. BARC, well-known institute offers a stipend to GATE Qualifiers.
Various known PSUs (Public Sector Undertaking) recruit eligible and qualified candidates for different posts. Candidates are offered high compensation packages and other benefits (medical benefits and other aids). CEL, MDL, GAIL, BHEL, Cabinet Secretariat etc. have recently released notifications for PSU Recruitment through GATE.
Candidates have to apply separately for the posts offered by various institutes. The application forms for different PSUs are released on different dates and candidates have to submit the application form in the stipulated time to be recruited by the PSU.
How to Prepare for GATE 2018
Below are the preparation tips as provided by some of the candidates who were successful in cracking GATE. For other tips click here.
NV Rajesh Kumar M appeared for GATE in 2008. He ace GATE with flying colors. He chose IIT Bombay for his further studies. He talks about his strategies, preparation tips on how to excel GATE. He says, being in student life, management is a key to success.
Arvind Kumar appeared for GATE in 2008. He was offered admission from many good colleges. He says, only joining coaching institutes doesn’t help in cracking the exam, self-made notes, practice hard-work does it. He tells us how tough it was to manage all his timings but getting started is the best way to make impossible as possible.
Shivakrishna Nakka appeared for GATE 2015. Clearing GATE with flying colors made him eligible to take admission in IIT Kharagpur. He didn’t join any coaching class. He says, to take admission into IIT, the preparation starts from the beginning. It is not a day, week or a month preparation to get into an IIT, it takes a lot of hard work.
“Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts”, Says Shalini Chaudhary
Shalini Chaudhary appeared for GATE in the year 2009. According to her choice, of course, she took admission at Andhra University. She says focused mind and studies with concentration can fetch your dream. She prefers doing self-studies rather than joining any coaching class.