GATE 2017 Answer Keys, Paper Analysis and PSU Jobs
GATE 2017 examination has started. The first session for paper codes ME, AG, AR, GG and TF was held on February 4, 2017. GATE Exam for paper codes EC, BT, CY, EY, PI, AE, MA, MT, PE, PH was conducted successfully on Feb. 5, 2017. Paper for remaining codes is scheduled on February 11 and 12, 2017.
February 19, 2017- Candidates can now check their responses for GATE exam on the official website. GATE Results will be declared on March 27, 2017.
GATE Answer keys will be published on the official website on February 27, 2017. IIT Roorkee has also published candidates’ responses along with answer keys. Candidates can cross-check their own responses against the answer key and can also challenge it through GOAPS in case of any doubt. They can challenge it from March 3-6, 2017.
|GATE 2017 Mechanical Paper analysis and answer key||GATE 2017 ECE Question Paper, Answer Key and Analysis||GATE 2017 Rank Predictor|
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an entrance exam for admission in M.Tech & PH.D courses in India. IIT Roorkee is the conducting body for GATE 2017. IIT Guwahati will be conducting body for GATE 2018. To Know More about GATE 2018 Click Here
What is GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering?
- GATE is an annual online test with multiple choice and numerical type questions conducted for 23 disciplines of engineering. The questions are mostly fundamental, concept based and thought provoking.
- Application for GATE exam can be made through online mode. For Updates on GATE 2017 Application, Admit Card & Result Candidates can check our page for GATE 2017 Registration Form or directly visit www.gate.iitr.ernet.in
- GATE 2017 examination shall also be held for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E).
- GATE Exam consists 65 questions divided in three section 1. General Aptitude 2. Engineering Mathematics 3. From Respective Subjects. Questions can be of two type Numerical and Objective. Virtual Calculator will be provided for Numerical questions.Read Complete GATE 2017 Exam Pattern
Latest Alerts for GATE 2017:
- CEL Recruitment for the graduate engineers on the basis of GATE 2017 (Contractual Basis) – Application Started from January 7 – February 3, 2017
- IOCL Recruitment for the graduate apprentice engineers on the basis of GATE 2017 – Application Started from January 9 – February 12, 2017
- MDL Recruitment through GATE 2017 – Application Started from January 6 – February 6, 2017
Download GATE 2017 Paperwise Syllabus and Mock Tests
Candidates can download the syllabus and sample papers for all the 23 GATE paper codes from the table below.
|Paper Codes||Codes||For Syllabus||For Mock Tests||For Sample Papers|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Electronics and Communication||EC||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Instrumentation Engineering||IN||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Mechanical Engineering||ME||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Metallurgical Engineering||MT||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Mining Engineering||MN||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Petroleum Engineering||PE||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
GATE 2017 Admit Card
GATE 2017 Admit Card is now available on the official website of GATE. Download and print multiple copies of the Admit card for GATE 2017 to avoid discrepancies on the exam day. Admit Card carries candidate’s name, location of the exam center, photograph and signature of the candidate. Verify the given information before downloading the GATE 2017 Admit card and report the conducting authority in case of any discrepancy.
Download the GATE Admit Card by following the steps given below:
- Candidates have to visit the official Website
- Click on the GATE 2017 Admit Card Link
- Enter the Registration Number and Password
- Candidate’s admit card will display on screen
- Take the Printout of GATE Admit Card
GATE 2017 Exam Dates
GATE 2017 Registration is over. Candidates waiting for the GATE 2017 Admit Card can now download the same from the official website. The exam is scheduled to take place between February 04, 2017 and February 12, 2017. The detailed schedule for GATE 2017 is provided below:
|Gate Online Application Processing System(GOAPS)opens||September 1, 2016 (0:00 hrs)||Thursday|
|Last date of submission of Online Application form||October 4, 2016 (23:59 hrs)||Tuesday|
|Last date to make correction in GATE Application form(Minor changes)||November 16, 2016||Wednesday|
|Availability of GATE admit card online||January 5, 2017||Thursday|
GATE 2017 Exam Dates
Forenoon session- 9:00 a.m- 12:00 p.m.
Afternoon session- 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
February 4, 2017
February 5, 2017
February 11, 2017
February 12, 2017
|Saturday And Sunday|
|Declaration of GATE Results on http://appsgate.iitr.ac.in/||March 27, 2017(18:00 hrs)||Monday|
GATE 2017 Exam Schedule
The exam schedule for GATE 2017 is released by IIT Roorkee on the official website. The candidates have to appear for GATE Exam according to their Paper Code. The table below gives the details of the GATE 2017 Exam Schedule for different branches of engineering:
|Date||Session||Time (IST)||Test Paper Codes|
|February 4, 2017||1||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||ME, AR, TF|
|2||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||ME, AG, GG|
|February 5, 2017||3||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||EC, BT, CY, EY, PI|
|4||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||EC, AE, MA, MT, PE, PH|
|February 11, 2017||5||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CS, EE|
|6||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||CS, EE|
|February 12, 2017||7||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CE, CH, MN|
|8||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||CE, IN, XE, XL|
GATE 2017 Paper Pattern
Every candidate can apply for one stream among all the 23 papers for which GATE 2017 is conducted. GATE 2017 Exam Pattern might seem a little confusing at first as it varies for different disciplines. GATE is an online mode examination with 65 questions to be solved in 3 hours. The total weightage of the GATE Exam is 100 marks.
|Mode of Examination||Online/Computer-based Test|
|Total no. of questions||65|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Sections in paper||Two, i.e. General Aptitude and Subject Specific|
There will be two types of questions Objective type and Numerical Type. In NAT question, there will be no choices. Answer to be entered manually with the help of Virtual Calculator.
XE paper will have new section on Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. With this, there will be eighth sections (A-H) in XE paper.
Marking Scheme for GATE 2017
Candidates are marked separately for MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) and NAT (Numerical Answer Type). For every correct answer in MCQ, candidates are awarded 1 mark or 2 mark depending on the weightage of the question. For every incorrect MCQ, candidate loses 0.33 or 0.66 mark for 1 marker or 2 marker respectively.
For Numerical Answer Type, every correct answer is awarded 1 mark or 2 marks as per the marks allotted to the question. There is no negative marking for such questions.
Read More GATE Exam Pattern
GATE 2017 Syllabus
GATE Syllabus is released on the official website by IIT Roorkee for all the 26 disciplines. Candidates should check out the detailed syllabus for the related discipline to identify and focus on the important topics to be asked in the exam. Candidates can click on the links provided below in the table to check the GATE 2017 Syllabus for the relevant discipline.
GATE 2017 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates interested in applying for GATE 2017 are advised to check the eligibility criteria before they go ahead and fill the online application form. Candidates can apply for only 1 paper in GATE. The minimumacademic qualification to apply for GATE 2017 is indicated below for all the applicants:
- Candidates having Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such program.
- Candidates having Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates having Master's degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates who are in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates who are in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E. /B. Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
There is no stipulated age limit criteria defined for GATE applicants
NOTE: Candidates with a backlog in their qualifying exam have to submit a copy of the final year mark sheets or a declaration from their Principal along with the seal and signature.
GATE 2017 Registration
GATE 2017 Online form is available on the official website from September 01, 2017. It can be filled online through GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System). The GATE Registration closes on October 04, 2016.
Candidate has to follow 3 steps primarily to register online for GATE 2017. Candidate has to register and create a candidate’s login on the website of GOAPS. Provide your email-ID, phone number and create a password to register. Then the candidate has to fill the GATE Application Form and upload the scanned images of Photograph and Signature in JPEG format.
The next step before final submission of the GATE Online Application Form is fee payment. The application fee for female, SC/ST candidates is INR 750 while it is INR 1500 for other candidates. The application fee can be paid in either online or offline mode.
How to fill the GATE Online Application Form
The steps followed to fill the GATE 2017 Online Application form are explained below:
Registration- Visit the official website of GOAPS. Enter few personal details, a valid e-mail ID and mobile number. Create a password which will be used to login later.
Filling GATE 2017 Application Form- Enter your personal and educational details in the application form for GATE. Preview the form to verify the information entered and modify the incorrect immediately to avoid discrepancies later. Note that the applications cannot be modified post final submission.
Fee payment- After saving application form candidate can make the payment by net banking, debit card and e-challan. After paying GATE application fees, a fee payment number is generated which candidate can note for the later stages of the GATE Selection process.
GATE Form Correction
GATE Form Correction enables candidates to edit or modify the incorrect information given in the GATE Online Application form. The correction window opens for the candidates who are intimated about any incorrect information.
Candidates can make the following changes in GATE application form:
Instructions for GATE Form Correction
Note: Authority have refunded all the extra payments. Candidate who does not recieve can mail the Authority. Mail should consist of Candidate’s Roll Number, Bank Reference Number, Payment ID and Amount. Candidates have to mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Extra Payment Refund Request.
Charges for the respective changes in application Form are given below:
|From ST/SC To General/OBC||Rs. 750|
|From Female to Male/Others||Rs. 750|
|From PwD to Non PwD||Rs. 750|
|For Exam City||Rs. 400|
GATE 2017 Application Form Status
Candidates can check the GATE Online Application Form Status i.e. whether the authority has received the form or not. It also tells if the application form submitted by the candidate needs any correction or not. Visit GOAPS to check the status of the GATE Online Application. The status will be displayed from one of the below mentioned categories.
Read More: GATE Form Correction
GATE 2017 Answer Key
GATE 2017 Answer Key for all the papers will be published on the official website soon after the exam is conducted. There will be separate question paper and answer key sets for all the separate sessions. The answer keys can be viewed by logging in using Registration details.
Candidates can also challenge any answer in case the correct response is not mentioned on the key. Candidate can challenge the answer key by paying nominal fee.
Read More: GATE Answer Key
GATE 2017 Result
GATE 2017 Result is expected to be declared by March 27, 2017. Candidates can check the result by using their GATE 2017 login credentials (Registration No or Email ID). Candidates those who qualify can download GATE Score card from the GATE 2017 official Website.
Read More:GATE Result
How to Download the GATE 2017 Score Card
Candidates those who qualify the GATE 2017 will be able to download the GATE score card. GATE score card will be valid for the 3 years. Candidates can download the score card from the official website. Score card can be downloaded in between March 27, 2017 – May 26, 2017. The steps followed to download the GATE Score Card:
GATE 2017 Counselling
GATE Exam Counselling Process is done separately by various IITs, NITs and other institutes. Candidates after having qualified in GATE have to appear for GD/PI for admission. For admission process candidates have to check notification by GATE participating institutes.
For admission in NITs, IIITs and in some government funded colleges, a centralized counselling– CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech/M.Plan) will be conducted. IITs and IISc will conduct their separate counselling process. Most of the other participating universities and state wise institutions will conduct their own counseling process.
All the IITs conduct their own counselling process for the admission in M.Tech programmes.
Read More About GATE COUNSELLING
PSU through GATE 2017
Candidates applying for GATE 2017 will have two options based on GATE score – either to continue with the studies with a Master’s degree or apply for a job with Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) jobs through GATE 2017. All the top PSUs hire graduate engineers based on GATE 2017 for various job profiles.
Candidates have to register separately for all the PSUs and GATE. All the PSUs will release their own cutoff based on GATE 2017 score. Shortlisted candidates have to appear for the selection rounds conducted separately by all PSUs.
Candidates can check the latest registration dates for various PSUs recruiting through GATE 2017.
|Application form for PSUs||Application Dates|
|BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Center)||January 23 to February 14, 2017|
|CEL (Central Electronics Limited)||January 01, 2017 to January 31, 2017|
|IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Limited)||January 09, 2017 to February 12, 2017|
|NLC (Neyveli Lignite Corporation)||January 06, 2017 to January 31, 2017|
|MDL (Mazagon Dock Limited)||January 06, 2017 to February 06, 2017|
|BPCL (Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited)||January 06, 2017 to February 03, 2017|
|GAIL (Gas Authority of India Limited) (GAIL)||January 10, 2017 to February 17, 2017|
|NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation)||January 10, 2017 to January 31, 2017|
|BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Limited)||January 10, 2017 to January 31, 2017|
Read More About PSU Recruitment through GATE 2017
GATE 2017 Cut off
GATE 2017 cut off is the minimum score which must be scored by the candidate in order to reserve a seat. The cut off varies for different institutes, steams and the category of the candidate. Stream wise Cutoffs for GATE 2016.
|Stream||General Category||OBC Category||SC/ST Category|
|Electronics & Communications Engg.(EC)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Computer Science & Information Technology(CS)||25||22.5||16.6|
Benefits of GATE 2017 Score Card
GATE Result is expected to be released on the official website one month after the exam has been conducted. The GATE Scorecard is valid for 3 years. GATE Scorecard validates that the candidate appeared and qualified GATE. The benefits of GATE Scorecard are enlisted below:
Enrollment to Masters and PhD Programs
A decent GATE Score can fulfil any aspiring engineer’s dream of studying from an IIT or NIT. GATE enables candidates to seek admissions in M.Tech. /M.E. / M.S. in their respective discipline in IITs or NITs or institutes in Germany and Singapore depending on the GATE Cutoff released by them.
Institutes such as IIT, Bombay offer admissions to PhD, PGDM and PGDIE programmes right after graduation on the basis of GATE Score. Some IIMs reserve seats for admissions to doctoral programs through GATE.
MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development) provides scholarships to candidates on the basis of the GATE Score. Candidates who opt for PG courses through GATE 2017 are given scholarships by MHRD. CSIR laboratories offer Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowships (SRF) to GATE Qualifiers. BARC, well known institute offers stipend to GATE Qualifiers.
Various known PSUs (Public Sector Undertaking) recruit eligible and qualified candidates for different posts. Candidates are offered high compensation packages and other benefits (medical benefits and other aids). CEL, MDL, GAIL, BHEL, Cabinet Secretariat etc. have recently released notifications for PSU Recruitment through GATE.
Candidates have to apply separately for the posts offered by various institutes. The application forms for different PSUs are released on different dates and candidates have to submit the application form in the stipulated time to be recruited by the PSU.
Dos and Don’ts at the GATE Exam Centers
- The Examination Hall shall be opened 35 minutes before the beginning of the examination. Candidates can enter and take their allotted seats immediately after the opening of the examination hall.
- If the candidate fails to reach the examination hall in the prescribed time he/she shall miss few important instructions to be announced at the center.
- The candidate must show the admit card when asked for entering the examination hall.
- A seat with a specific roll number shall be allotted to each candidate. The candidate must carefully find and occupy the allotted seat only. In case the candidate is found in a different examination room or on a different seat then his/her candidature shall be cancelled.
- The candidates should check and sign the attendance sheet carefully. He/she must provide his/her signature at appropriate place. The candidates need to provide a left hand thumb impression during attendance.
- The admit cards of the candidate shall be checked by the invigilator during the examination to confirm the identity of the candidate.
- All the candidates are requested to carry their admit cards along with the ID card and two ball point pens for the examination.
- Any other material rather than Pens, Pencils, Admit Card and ID Proof won’t be allowed inside the examination hall.
- The candidate who is not bearing a valid admit cardand identity proof shall not be allowed inside by the Centre Superintendent.
- Any textual material (written or printed), any bits of paper or any unwanted material shall not be permitted inside the examination hall.
- Any electronic gadget like calculators, digital watches, cell phones or geometry box, log tables, slide rules etc. are banned inside the examination hall. The candidates are advised not to carry any of these banned devices including the cellphone as the exam center authorities do not guarantee the safety of such devices.
- The candidate won’t be permitted to leave his/her allocated seat before the indication of conclusion of the examination.
- The examination will begin exactly on the time mentioned in the admit card. There will be bell signals to indicate the beginning and ending time of exam. The candidates need to stop making responses on this indication.
- In case any registered candidate doesn’t appear for the examination due to any reason, there shall be no re-examination for such candidates under any circumstances.
How to Prepare for GATE 2017
Below are the preparation tips as provided by some of the candidates who were successful in cracking GATE. For other tips click here.
NV Rajesh Kumar M appeared for GATE in 2008. He ace GATE with flying colors. He chose IIT Bombay for his further studies. He talks about his strategies, preparation tips on how to excel GATE. He says, being in student life, management is a key to success.
Arvind Kumar appeared for GATE in 2008. He was offered admission from many good colleges. He says, only joining coaching institutes doesn’t help in cracking the exam, self-made notes, practice hard-work does it. He tells us how tough it was to manage all his timings but getting started is the best way to make impossible as possible.
Shivakrishna Nakka appeared for GATE 2015. Clearing GATE with flying colors made him eligible to take admission in IIT Kharagpur. He didn’t join any coaching class. He says, to take admission into IIT, the preparation starts from the beginning. It is not a day, week or a month preparation to get into an IIT, it takes a lot of hard work.
“Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts”, Says Shalini Chaudhary
Shalini Chaudhary appeared for GATE in the year 2009. According to her choice of course, she took admission into Andhra University. She says, focused mind and studies with concentration can fetch your dream. She prefers doing self-studies rather than joining any coaching class.