Tata Institute of Social Sciences determines TISSNET Syllabus. The questions are framed out of 3 key areas viz. General Awareness, English Proficiency, and Maths & Logical Reasoning. There will be 100 objective questions, each carrying 1 mark.
Check TISSNET Exam Pattern
- General Awareness has 40 questions on static GK and current affairs mostly from social and economics topics.
- English Proficiency section of TISSNET 2021 has 30 questions that test candidates’ grasp over the language.
- The Mathematics and Logical Reasoning section will have 30 questions from quantitative aptitude, reasoning ability and data interpretation.
- While preparing for TISSNET, practising via TISSNET Sample Papers will help you fetch better marks. They will give you an overall structure of the expected paper and formulate a better study plan. Check TISSNET Paper Analysis.
The detailed syllabus for TISSNET 2021 is given below for your reference.
TISSNET 2021 Syllabus: Mathematics & Logical Reasoning
- The analytical and numerical ability of candidates will be tested in this section.
- 30 questions will be asked in this section carrying 30 marks of weightage.
- Most of the questions involve basic mathematical concepts like prime numbers, composite numbers, square roots etc.
- This section can be a little tricky but the questions remain easy to attempt.
TISSNET Syllabus for Mathematics and Logical Reasoning
|Time and work||Basic set concepts|
|Time and distance||Areas, Volumes|
|Percentage, Average||Mixtures and Allegations|
|Square root and Basic algebra||Properties of shapes|
|Simple and compound interest||Pie diagrams|
|Quadratic Equations||Heights and Distance|
TISSNET Preparation Books: Mathematics & Logical Reasoning
|Book Name||Author Name/Publisher|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Tests for Admission into IIMs||Sarvesh K. Verma|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Mathematics For MBA||Dr. R.S Aggarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Dr. R.S Aggarwal|
TISSNET 2021 Syllabus: English Proficiency
- This is framed to judge the ability of the candidate in usage and understanding of the English language.
- English Proficiency section comprises 30 questions carrying 30 marks.
- Candidates having a good grammatical knowledge can score well in this section.
- Candidates must know the proper usage of words and sentences formation to crack this section.
- Passages will be given that must be read comprehensively and then have to be answered questions related to it.
- A part of this section is framed to check a candidate’s knowledge of synonyms, antonyms, and one-word answer.
- Reading newspapers on a daily basis can help candidates to increase their vocabulary.
The general topics from which the questions are likely to be asked are listed below:
TISSNET English Syllabus
|Cloze Test||Fill in the Blanks|
|Match the Columns||Error Detection|
|Jumbled Sentences||Vocabulary & Grammar|
|One Word Substitution||Idioms and Phrases|
|Antonyms and Synonyms||Word Relation|
|Summary Questions||Reading comprehension|
|Meaning-Usage Match||Sentence Correction|
TISSNET Preparation Books: English Proficiency
|Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|High School English Grammar and Composition Key||Wren & Martin|
|English for General Competitions||Neetu Singh|
|English Is Easy||Chetananand Singh|
|Pocket Guide to Vocabulary||Barron|
|Mastering the Verbal Ability for CAT||Ajay Singh|
TISSNET Exam Pattern: General Awareness
- 40 questions will be asked from this section in TISSNET 2021.
- This section has the highest weightage in the exam with 40 marks.
- Candidates must be a habitual reader of newspapers to score well in this section.
- Someone who is good at general knowledge won’t face any problem in answering questions from this section.
TISSNET Important Topics - General Awareness
|Recent social issues||Current Affairs|
|History Fine||arts and music|
|General Geology||Social activities and movements|
|Meaning of terms||Sociological awareness|
|Culture||Nation and States|
TISSNET Preparation Books - General Awareness
|Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|Manorama Yearbook 2021||Manorama|
|Current Affairs Yearly 2021||Arihant|
|General Knowledge 2020: Latest Current Affairs & Who's Who||RPH Editorial Board|
|Pearson General Knowledge Manual 2020||Pearson|
|Pratiyogita Darpan||Upkar Prakashan|
TISSNET 2021 Syllabus FAQs
Ques. What is the selection procedure followed by TISS?
Ans. The selection procedure happens in 2 stages and has 3 components of assessments. Candidates appear in the National entrance test (TISSNET) based on their performance in the exam; only the shortlisted candidates are called for the Pre Interview Test and Personal Interview (PIT/PI).
Ques. How to improve Quantitative and Logical Reasoning Skills?
Ans. The only way to improve in the Quant section of TISSNET is to practise it daily. Accuracy is key for this section which can only be obtained with regular practise.
Ques. What criteria are considered while marking an essay?
Ans. The criteria which are taken into consideration are the Quality of content, structure of essay and logical expression of ideas. Avoid grammatical mistakes.
Ques. How is the essay and the interview scheduled on the same day?
Ans. Candidates are told to write essays in the morning and the interview sessions start. Interview duration ranges from 10 to 30 minutes.
Ques. What do they mean by Pre Admission Medical check up?
Ans. Once the verification of the documents is done all the candidates have to go through the medical check up by the medical officers of the institute.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.