The Admission Process for CLAT 2017 will commence in the month of June 2017. Post CLAT Result declaration, the process for admission to various NLUs will begin.
All the dates concerning the counselling process are given in the CLAT Exam Date. The admissions to the participating National Law Universities will be done on merit (their CLAT score) cum preference basis. Candidate will be allotted universities according to their merit and the college preferred.
Read More: CLAT Form
CLAT 2017 Admission Process
The whole admission process of CLAT will be conducted through online mode. It will be a centralised counselling conducted by CLAT Office. NLUs will follow a step-wise admission procedure which is as follows:
STEP 1: First Indicative List Publication on the basis of merit-cum-preference (on June 05, 2017)
The first indicative list of the candidates who got admission will be published on the basis of their CLAT Score and selected preferences of colleges. This list will be NLU university wise.
STEP 2: Counselling fee Payment and Option Exercising by the Candidates Provisionally Selected (June 06 – June 08, 2017)
- A specified number of candidates will be allowed to participate in the counselling process of CLAT. This allotment is done against the actual number of seats in available CLAT.
- The candidates who are provisionally selected must opt to ‘lock’ the allotted university or ‘shifting’ to shift to another university. All the candidates who wish to exercise either of these option need to pay a sum of 50,000/- as their part payment of the admission fee. NOTE: the candidates who choose ‘default’ will be considered as lock and they will not be given any further chance to shift to another university.
- LOCK: The candidates who wish to lock the universities they have been allotted must choose this option. These candidates will not be given any further chance to change their option. Once locked, it will be considered as their final option. Also, such candidates will not be considered for further shift of candidates between the NLUs.
- SHIFTING: The candidates who will opt for shifting will be considered for an upward shift in the list of NLUs. These students will be considered against the vacancy created due to any reason. There shall be no downward shift as per the counselling procedure of CLAT 2016.
- Failure to deposit the counselling fee of 50,000/- will result in to automatic cancellation of admission. Their names will be dropped from the merit list of CLAT 2017
- The paid sum of 50,000 as the counselling fee is adjustable. It will then be adjusted to the respective university, where the candidates will be going to take his/her admission.
Read More: CLAT Syllabus
STEP 3: Second Indicative List Publication (June 12, 2017)
The second indicative list will include the candidates who have paid the counselling fee and reserved their seats in the NLU. These candidates for are eligible for the admission process. This list will also include the waitlisted candidates.
- The candidates whose name is in the second list will mean that they have paid the counselling fee successfully and have reserved their seat in the allotted NLU.
- The waitlisted candidates are provisionally selected and will be considered against any vacancy. If the additional candidates are selected against any vacancy, they need to pay 50,000/- to opt for Lock or Shift. (June 13 to June 14, 2017)
- The provisionally selected candidates can withdraw from the admission process. However, a sum of 10,000/- will be deducted from the sum of 50,000/-.
- Any withdrawal from the admission process after the stipulated period of time will result in full forfeiture of the amount.
STEP 4: Third Allocation List Publication (June 19, 2017)
- A third comprehensive list will be published by the CLAT 2017 office consisting the candidates who have successfully paid the counselling fee and reserve their seat in respective allotted NLUs.
- This list will include the names of all the candidates who have paid the counselling fee in the first and second indicative list. It will also include the name of waiting candidates whose admission will be accepted against vacancies.
- All the candidates whose name is mentioned in the counselling process, must pay the counselling fee of 50,000/- for the in order to reserve their seats.
Read More: CLAT Result
STEP 5: Publication of fourth list allotting seats to candidates (June 24, 2017)
- The provisionally selected candidates can withdraw from the admission process within stipulated time as per the CLAT-2017 calendar. Nominal fee of Rs. 10,000/- will be deducted from the deposited counselling fee.
- Any withdrawal after the stipulated period will result in forfeiture of entire amount of counselling fee.
- The CLAT office shall publish a comprehensive fourth allotment list of candidates who have paid their counselling fee and reserved their seats in the participating NLUs.
- The comprehensive list shall include the names of the candidates who have paid the counselling fee against the first, second and third indicative lists.
- The candidates whose names appear in the fourth list and who have not deposited the counselling fee of Rs. 50,000/- are required to pay full fee to the allotted NLUs at the time of admission.
- The whole admission procedure can be completed within the time window of June 28- June 30, 2017.
Read More:CLAT Cut off
STEP 6: Completion of Admission against Fourth Allotment List (4th-6th July, 2017)
- The candidates must report to the concerned NLU for admission against fourth allotment list.
- The candidates must carry all of his/her document in original by a competent authority when going for admission. These documents will be the proof of authenticity and support of all the claims made by them. All the certificates will be checked in original in the universities.
- Failure to present any document or failure to prove any claim will lead to cancellation of admission. Any candidates who fails to prove any eligibility requirement or produce any document in original will not be allowed to take admission.
- The candidates seeking admission in reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC/Specially Abled Person/DFF/NRI and the unreserved category candidates seeking admission under state domicile category, will be required to obtain authentic certificates/ documents from the competent authorities. They must produce all these documents at the time of admission. Without these documents, they will not be able to get admitted under any reserved category.
Fee Structure of NLUs
At the time of admission procedure, candidates must be ready with their documents and the amount to be paid. All the NLUs have different amount of fee to be paid which can be checked at their official website. However, all the NLUs have different policies for the different categories. Many NLUs provide relaxation for the reserved categories. Also, candidates taking admission under foreign nationals and NRI Candidates have to pay a different amount as their fee. Following table consists the tuition fee for undergraduate courses of all the participating National Law Universities in CLAT.
|Colleges||Tuition Fee (For General Candidates)|
|NUSRL, Ranchi (Semester Fee)||50,000|