CLAT 2017 - Common Law Admission Test
CLAT 2017 (Common Law Admission Test) is a national level entrance exam organised rotationally by 18 NLUs (National Law University). It is conducted to grant admissions to LLB and LLM courses offered at various law universities in India.
- For the academic session 2017-18, CNLU (Chanakya National Law University, Patna) is the organising body of CLAT 2017
- CLAT 2017 was successfully conducted on May 14, 2017 across 138 centers in India. The exam for LL.B. and LL.M. was conducted separately on the same day.
- This year nearly 50,000 students appeared for the law entrance exam. Check CLAT 2017 Expected Cut off
- CLAT Official Answer Key will be released online at CLAT official website. The keys will help a candidate to get an estimate or predict their scores in the law entrance exam.
- Candidates having any objection relating to CLAT exam, Question Paper or Keys can contact the authorities from May 17 to May 19, 2017. Also, the amended keys will be uploaded online on May 25, 2017.
- CLAT Resultsare expected to release online by May 29, 2017. To check the results, candidates have to visit CLAT website i.e. clat.ac.in. Know more aboutCLAT Results
May 26, 2017 – CLAT 2017 Amended answer key uploaded, errors removed. Check Here
May 20, 2017 – Errors in language can wreak havoc in a lawyer’s life. Check CLAT 2017 Errors in Question Paper
May 15, 2017 – CLAT 2017 Answer Key are now available at clat.ac.in. Check CLAT Answer Keys
May 15, 2017 – The law entrance exam concluded on May 14. Candidates can now check CLAT Paper Analysis 2017. Check Now
For the academic session 2017-18, CLAT will be conducted online mode. Both the papers will consist questions of objective type that needs to be answered within 2 hours. For each correct answer, 1 will be awarded whereas, for 0.25 marks will be deducted for incorrect answer. Read about CLAT Exam Pattern 2017
- For LLB, questions are asked from Mathematics, GK, English Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Legal Aptitude.
- For LLM, questions are asked from topics related to Jurisprudence, Constitutional law, and other law subjects.
The basic eligibility to be able to fill CLAT Application Form is listed below:
- For LL.B. candidate should be 10+2 graduate
- For LL.M. program, a candidate should have an LL.B or equivalent degree
CLAT Results for law entrance exam will be declared on May 29, 2017. Post result declaration, counselling will be conducted in June 2017. The admission is granted on the basis CLAT Cut Off of participating NLUs. CLAT Scores are also accepted by various PSUs for recruitment. Candidates are recruited as Legal Executive Trainees or Assistant Legal Advisor through CLAT 2017. Check PSU Recruitment through CLAT
Latest Law Application Forms
CLAT 2017 Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||CLAT (Common Law Admission Test)|
|Conducting Body||CNLU, Patna|
|Exam Date||May 14, 2017|
|NLUs seat intake||2984|
|CLAT 2017 Registrations received||50,000 approximately|
CLAT 2017 Exam Dates
For academic session 2017-18, the schedule for CLAT released on December 25, 2016 at clat.ac.in. CLAT Application Form filling window concluded on March 31, 2017. Now, Admit Card for the law entrance exam is available for download on official website. Tabulated below are important dates for the exam:
|Beginning of Online Application||January 01, 2017 (Sunday)|
|Last Date to submit online form||March 31, 2017 (Friday) till 11:59 pm|
|Availability of CLAT Admit Card 2017||April 20, 2017|
|CLAT Exam 2017||May 14, 2017 (03:00 pm to 05:00 pm)|
|Availability of CLAT Answer Key||May 16, 2017|
|Representation, if any, relating to exam, questions/ Key||May 17, 2017 to May 19, 2017|
|Date for uploading the Amended Answer Key (if any)||May 25, 2017|
|Declaration of CLAT Result (Merit List)||May 29, 2017|
|Publication of 1st Allocation list||June 05, 2017|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 06, 2017 to June 08, 2017|
|Release of 2nd Allotment List||June 12, 2017|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 13, 2017 to June 14, 2017|
|Release of 3rd Allotment List||June 19, 2017|
|Counselling Fee Payment (INR 50000) & Locking Seats||June 20, 2017 to June 21, 2017|
|Last date to withdraw admission fee||June 21, 2017|
|Release of 4th Allotment List||June 24, 2017|
|Fee Payment and Completing Admission Process||June 28, 2017 to June 30, 2017|
|Release of Admission Status by NLU(s)||July 04,, 2017|
|CLAT Admission Process concludes on||July 06, 2017|
Know More: CLAT 2017 Exam Dates
What is CLAT?
- Common Law Admission Test or CLAT is a law entrance test. It is conducted to grant admission to LLB and LLM courses
- Around 19 NLUs (National Law University) offers addmissions via CLAT Scores
- Candidates should have passed higher secondary school (10+2) with not less than 45% marks in aggregate.
How many students are appearing for CLAT 2017?
- CLAT 2016 witnessed a record-breaking participation for the law entrance exam. There were 45,040 aspirants who appeared for the law exam.
- For CLAT 2017, it is expected that the number of candidates will increase. Nearly 50,000 candidates are expected to appear for the law entrance exam this year.
CLAT 2017 Eligibility
CLAT is conducted for admission to LLB or LLM programs offered at the NLUs. Consecutively, there is a separate eligibility criterion for candidates aiming for admission to any of the programs. CLAT 2017 offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates to undergraduate law program in well-known NLUs. Candidates can go through the criteria to check if they can fill CLAT Application form.
For CLAT LLB Program
The eligibility criteria for CLAT 2017 LLB program are given below:
- Age Limit: As per the Bar Council of India, for 3-year LLB course, the upper age limit has been increased from 30 to 45 years. For 5-year LLB course, the age limit has been changed from 20 to 22 years as an interim measure.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2017 are also eligible to appear in CLAT exam.
Note:The candidates must convert their grades (if any) into percentage for appearing in CLAT 2017.
For CLAT LLM Program
Brief eligibility criteria for CLAT 2017 for LLM program are given below:
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for the candidates appearing in CLAT 2017 to pursue post-graduate programs. Thus, candidates of all ages are eligible to give the examination.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2017 are also eligible to appear in CLAT 2017 examination. However, they have to show a hard copy of the proof of their passing the qualifying examination in the respective National Law Universities at the time of admission.
READ MORE: CLAT 2017 Eligibility
How to fill CLAT Application Form 2017?
CLAT Application Form can be filled through online mode only. No hard copy of the application form will be available. To fill the CLAT application form, candidates must follow the steps given below:
Step 1 – CLAT 2017 Registration at CAPS:
To register for CLAT exam, first of all, candidates will have to register on CLAT Application Processing System (CAPS) by entering the following details:
Candidate’s Name, Email Address and mobile number. Candidates should carefully fill the information as it cannot be changed in the later stage of the process. After successful registration, an email and SMS will be sent to the candidate’s registered email id and Mobile number. This email and SMS contain the CAPS Application number. Read more aboutCLAT 2017 Application Form.
Note: Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT 2017 exam, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card.
Step 2 - Fill CLAT Form:
After registration, candidates have to fill the application form, for this login by using the CAPS Application number and Passwords. The candidate must fill the following information.
- Candidate’s Personal details like (Candidates name, Date of Birth, Personal mobile number, Parent’s name, Parent’s mobile number etc.)
- Postal Address (including PIN code) for Communication
- Fill theCLAT 2017 Examination Centers
- Upload Scanned image and signature
- Upload the scanned copy of your Date of Birth (Birth certificate, 10th Class certificate, Passport or Adhar Card)
- Upload the scanned copy of caste certificate PWD certificate/state Domicile etc. in PDF format only (if applicable).
Step 3 - Payment of the CLAT 2017 Application Fee:
After filling the CLAT Application form, candidate must pay the application fee payment. Candidate can pay the application fee through online (Debit/Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Bank Challan). Steps in the application fees process are given below:
Step 4 - Download and Print the Application Form
After filling the CLAT Form and making the payment, candidates can download their filled application form with fee details in PDF format. Candidates can take the printout of it and save as a record for further communication. The candidate must remember the CAPS Application Number and password to login It will be used check the application status, to download the admit card and to know the results
CLAT 2017 Application Fee
- For General/OBC and PWD category, CLAT 2017 application fee is Rs.4,000/-
- For SC/ST students application fee is Rs.3,500/-
CLAT Admit Card 2017
CLAT Hall Ticket will be available for download from April 20, 2017. Candidates will receive the hall ticket through email or by post. The Hall Ticket is a gateway for eligible candidates to enter the examination hall and give the exam. Candidates are required to carry CLAT 2017 Admit Card with one identity proof (Aadhar Card/Voter ID/ Passport/Driving license) on the exam day i.e. May 14, 2017.
How to Download CLAT Admit Card?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT i.e. clat.ac.in
Step 2: Now, on the right side a notification table is displayed. The first link in the table will be ‘Click Here to download admit card’. Click on the tab.
Step 3: Then, a new screen will appear, you will be asked to fill in Registered E-mail ID and password.
Step 4: Next, click on Login button. You can then view and download your CLAT Admit Card.
Note: In case a candidate forgets his/ her password, then there is another tab ‘Forget Password’. Candidate has to click on the same and fill in the required fields.
Along with admit card, candidates have to carry a valid ID proof to the examination hall. A valid ID proof can be PAN Card/ College ID/ School ID or Aadhar Card.
CLAT Exam Pattern 2017
CLAT exam pattern is set differently for both LLB and LLM programs. However, Both the exams are conducted online and are of 3 hours duration.
- Negative marking is also applicable in the exam
- For LLB, More weightage is given to General Knowledge, Current affairs and Legal Aptitude
- For LLM, Equal weightage is given to constitutional law and Jurispendance section
CLAT 2017 Exam Pattern for LLB
For undergraduate courses, question paper will contain 5 sections namely - English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. There will be total 200 Multiple Choice Questions. For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded 1 mark and ¼ mark will be deducted for every wrong answer. The section-wise distribution in the question paper is mentioned below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions|
|English (including comprehension)||40|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20|
Exam Pattern for Post Graduate Courses
The CLAT Paper Pattern for the post graduate courses will contain 3 sections namely Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc. The question paper for post graduate courses will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions. Distribution of questions in each section is indicated in the table below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions|
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50|
CLAT 2017 Answer Keys
As per CLAT Schedule, the answer keys for the law entrance exam will be released on May 16, 2017. They will be available online at clat.ac.in. To access CLAT Answer Key, a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Steps to check the answer keys:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT 2017.
Step 2: On the right side, a table of Important links will be there with the first link as ‘Click here to view Question and Answer Keys’. Click on it.
Step 3: A new page will appear, here a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Then click on ‘Login’ tab.
Step 4: Post that a new window will appear in which 5 tabs will be displayed. To check the keys, candidates have to click on ‘Candidate Response’ tab. Here, the answer keys will be displayed.
In this sheet, candidate will be able to see the responses which they got right and wrong. The response sheet will have the following details:
- Participant ID
- Participant Name
- Test Center Name
- Test Date
- Test Time
- Subject (CLAT 2017 UG/ CLAT 2017 PG)
- Marks Obtained
- Questions with correct answers
- Marks obtained as per the questions
CLAT Result 2017
CNLU will releaseCLAT result will be declared onMay 29, 2017.The law entrance exam result will be available on the official website of CLAT i.e. www.clat.ac.in. Candidates can access their CLAT Result through their personal LOGIN ACCOUNT.
How to check CLAT Result 2017?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT.
Step 2: On the right side an Important Links table is shown. There a CLAT Result is placed. Click on the link.
Step 3: Enter Email ID and password
Step 4: Take a print out of your CLAT score card
The complete merit list according to the marks secured by candidate will be published on CLAT website. In addition, state specific and all India merit lists will be prepared for various categories namely Open/SC/ST/OBC/Women and PWD etc. candidates.
CLAT Cut Off 2017
With the increase in number of candidates taking CLAT every year, the cut off for the law entrance exam will also increase. This year CLAT Cut off is expected to increase by 5 % to 10%. CLAT 2017 Cutoff will be declared by various CLAT Participating institutes individually. It is the minimum score declared by the universities for the admission process. CLAT Cut Off forms the basis of CLAT Counselling and Seat Allotment.
CLAT 2017 Cutoff is calculated considering multiple factors such as difficulty level of the paper, availability of seats, average marks scored in the test and total test population. The difficulty of CLAT 2017 has only been moderate. Over the exam was touted easy with few tricky mathematics questions.
Which are the Law Schools Participating in CLAT 2017?
For the academic session of 2017-18, Chanakya National Law University will be conducting the CLAT 2017. The law entrance exam is scheduled on May 14, 2017. The other 17 NLUs participating and accepting the CLAT 2017 scores are as follows:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study and Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Nagpur
- National Law University, Aurangabad (NLU Aurangabad)
CLAT Counselling 2017
CLAT Counselling starts from May 29, 2017 and will get over by June 25, 2017. Candidate must indicate their NLUs preference online where they want to take admission. There will be a centralized admission process for CLAT 2017 and admission will be done on the basis of merit-cum-preference.
READ MORE: CLAT 2017 Counselling
CLAT Books and Preparation Tips
The first step for CLAT preparation is to know about the CLAT paper pattern and CLAT 2017 syllabus. For CLAT 2017 conducted for undergraduate courses, students have to prepare 5 subjects namely English Comprehension, Elementary Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current affairs, Legal Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. Out of all the legal Aptitude is the most important section, for preparing this section you can refer “Universal Guide to CLAT or A.P. Bhardwaj CLAT guide”. Do read newspapers on regular basis to prepare for current awareness questions.For elementary mathematics prepare syllabus of class 9th & 10th. In English comprehension, there will be 4-5 short passages on which around 20-22 questions will be asked 7-8 questions is based on antonyms & synonyms and rest questions will be on Grammar. For this, you can practice previous year mock test papers. You can also prepare these topics on online tutorials available for CLAT. Checkpreparation tips for CLAT
Here we have compiled a small list of books which can prove to be helpful during your CLAT preparation:-
|CLAT Book Name||Author/Publication|
|The Complete Success Package - CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) 2016||Arihant Experts|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning For the CLAT and LL.B. Entrance Examinations||A. P. Bhardwaj|
|The Pearson Guide to the CLAT||Harsh Gagrani|
|CLAT Solved & Previous Year Paper||A. P. Bhardwaj|
It Totally depends upon you what you see whether a time wasted or invested says Shivam who scored 93.25.
Preparation must be thorough says Parth Patel who scored 89 Percentile in CLAT Exam
All Progress takes place outside the comfort zone says Efaf Aali scored 55 percentile.