CLAT 2017 Application Form, Exam Date and Syllabus
CLAT 2017 (Common Law Admission Test) is conducted for admission to LLB and LLM courses offered at 19 NLUs in India. This year, CNLU Patna is the organizing authority for CLAT 2017. The official notification for the exam of CLAT was released on December 25, 2016. The last day to fill the application form is till March 31, 2017 on CLAT official website. The exam is scheduled on May 14, 2017.
CLAT is a computer based test and the questions are objective in nature. There are 200 questions in LLB exam and 150 questions in LLM exam. The eligibility to appear in CLAT is 10+2 for LLB programmes, and LLB or equivalent degree for LLM programmes.
The result for CLAT 2017 is declared on May 29, 2017. Each NLU will release a separate cut off list for admission. CLAT cut off is also considered by various PSUs for legal posts.
|CLAT 2017 Application Form||CLAT 2017 Syllabus||CLAT Latest Changes|
Latest Updates in CLAT 2017
- ONGC has opened 15 posts for Assistant Legal Advisor through CLAT 2017. Read More
- Nirma University giving admissions via CLAT 2017 Score. Read More
- Bar Council of India has revised the upper age limit. For 3-year LLB course, the upper age limit is increased from 30 to 45 years.
- For 5-year LLB course, the age limit is changed from 20 to 22 years as an interim measure.
- This year, there are a total of 19 NLUs for CLAT 2017. NLU, Aurangabad (National Law University Aurangabad) becomes functional. It will give admission through scores of law entrance exam (CLAT 2017).
CLAT 2017 Exam Dates
The schedule for CLAT 2017 released on December 25, 2016 at clat.ac.in. The table below gives the schedule for law entrance exam (CLAT 2017):
|Date of Issue of Admission Notification||December 25, 2016|
|Beginning of Online Application Process||January 01, 2017 (Sunday)|
|Last Date for submission of online form||March 31, 2017 (Friday) till 11:59 pm|
|Availability of CLAT Admit Card/ Hall Ticket||April 20, 2017 (Thursday)|
|Date of CLAT Exam 2017||May 14, 2017 (03:00 pm to 05:00 pm)|
|Date of uploading the Answer Key||May 16, 2017|
|Representation, if any, relating to exam, questions/ Key||May 17, 2017 – May 19, 2017|
|Date for uploading the Amended Answer Key (if any)||May 25, 2017|
|Declaration of CLAT Result/ Merit List||May 29, 2017|
|Publication of first indicative seat allocation list based on merit-cum-preference||June 05, 2017|
Know More: CLAT 2017 Exam Dates
CLAT 2017 Official Notification
Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU) released a notification informing the candidates about Official Exam Dates for CLAT 2017. The exam is scheduled on May 14, 2017. Rregistration for CLAT 2017 ends on March 31, 2017. Read more about:Official Notification for CLAT 2017
What is CLAT?
- Common Law Admission Test or CLAT is a law entrance test for admission to LLB and LLM courses.
- Around 19 NLUs (National Law University) participate in CLAT 2017.
- Candidates should have passed higher secondary school (10+2) with not less than 45% marks in aggregate.
- CLAT Registration begins from January 01, 2017 and ends on March 31, 2017.
How many students are appearing for CLAT 2017?
- CLAT 2016 witnessed a record-breaking participation for the law entrance exam. There were 45,040 aspirants who appeared for the law exam.
- For CLAT 2017, it is expected that the number of candidates will increase. Nearly 50,000 candidates are expected to appear for the law entrance exam this year.
CLAT Eligibility 2017
CLAT is conducted for admission to LLB or LLM programmes offered at the NLUs. Consecutively, there is a separate eligibility criterion for candidates aiming for admission to any of the programmes. Candidates can go through the criteria to check if they can fill the CLAT Form 2017.
CLAT 2017 offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates to undergraduate law programme in well-known NLUs (National Law Universities).
For CLAT LLB Programme
The eligibility criteria for CLAT 2017 LLB programme are given below:
- Age Limit: As per the Bar Council of India, for 3-year LLB course, the upper age limit has been increased from 30 to 45 years. For 5-year LLB course, the age limit has been changed from 20 to 22 years as an interim measure.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2017 are also eligible to appear in CLAT exam.
Note: The candidates must convert their grades (if any) into percentage for appearing in CLAT 2017.
For CLAT LLM Programmes
A brief eligibility criteria for CLAT 2017 for LLM programme are given below:
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for the candidates appearing in CLAT 2017 to pursue post-graduate programmes. Thus, candidates of all ages are eligible to give the examination.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2017 are also eligible to appear in CLAT 2017 examination. However they shall be required to show a hard copy of the proof of their passing the qualifying examination in the respective National Law Universities at the time of admission.
READ MORE: CLAT 2017 Eligibility
How to fill CLAT Application Form 2017?
CLAT Application Form will be available between January 01, 2017 to March 31, 2017 on the official website. The form can be filled through online mode only. No hard copy of the application form will be available.
To fill the CLAT application form, candidates must follow the steps given below:
Step 1 – CLAT 2017 Registration at CAPS:
To register for CLAT 2017 exam, first of all, candidate will have to register on CLAT Application Processing System (CAPS) by entering the following details:
Candidate’s Name, Email Address and mobile number. Candidates should carefuly fill the information as it cannot be changed in the later stage of the process. After successful registration, an email and SMS will be sent to the candidate’s registered email id and Mobile number. This email and SMS contain the CAPS Application number. Read more about CLAT Registration.
Note: Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT 2017 exam, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card.
Step 2 - Fill CLAT Form:
After registration, candidates have to fill the application form, for this login by using the CAPS Application number and Passwords. The candidate must fill the following information.
- Candidate’s Personal details like (Candidates name, Date of Birth, Personal mobile number, Parent’s name, Parent’s mobile number etc.)
- Postal Address (including PIN code) for Communication
- Fill the CLAT 2017 Examination Cities
- Upload Scanned image and signature
- Upload the scanned copy of your Date of Birth (Birth certificate, 10th Class certificate, Passport or Adhar Card)
- Upload the scanned copy of caste certificate PWD certificate/state Domicile etc. in PDF format only (if applicable).
Step 3 - Payment of the CLAT 2017 Application Fee:
After filling the CLAT Application form, candidate must pay the application fee payment. Candidate can pay the application fee through online (Debit/Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Bank Challan). Steps in the application fees process are given below:
Step 4 - Download and Print the Application Form
After filling the CLAT Form and making the payment, candidates can download their filled application form with fee details in PDF format. Candidates can take the printout of it and save as a record for further communication. The candidate must remember the CAPS Application Number and password to login It will be used check the application status, to download the admit card and to know the results
CLAT 2017 Application Fee
- For General/OBC and PWD category, CLAT 2017 application fee is Rs.4,000/-
- For SC/ST students application fee is Rs.3,500/-
Know more:How to fill CLAT Application Form?
CLAT Admit Card 2017
The Admit Card/ Hall Ticket for CLAT 2017 will be available for download from April 20, 2017. Candidates will receive the hall ticket through email or by post. The CLAT Hall Ticket is a gateway for eligible candidates to enter the examination hall and give the exam. Candidates are required to carry their CLAT 2017 Admit Card with one identity proof (Aadhar Card/Voter ID/ Passport/Driving license) on the exam day i.e. May 14, 2017.
Details on the CLAT Admit Card 2017:
- Candidate Name & Photo
- Candidate DOB & Signature
- Roll Number
- CLAT Exam Date, Venue & Exam Time
- Instructions for the CLAT Exam
Note:A candidate who fails to carry his/ her Admit Card with an ID Proof will not be allowed the examination hall.
CLAT Exam Pattern 2017
In order to excel in the examination, it is important for aspirants to have ample knowledge of CLAT exam pattern. The CLAT Paper Pattern is different for LL.B and LLM exams. Besides, knowing the complete details of CLAT Syllabus will aid the candidates in their preparation for the exam.
- CLAT 2017 Time duration: 2 hours (120 minutes)
- Medium of exam: Online
There will separate question papers for both Undergraduate and Post Graduate Courses as explained below :-
CLAT 2017 Pattern for Undergraduate Courses
For undergraduate courses, Question paper will contain 5 sections namely - English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability),Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. There will be total 200 Multiple Choice Questions. For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded 1 mark and ¼ mark will be deducted for every wrong answer. The section-wise distribution in the question paper is mentioned below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions|
|English (including comprehension)||40|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20|
General Knowledge & Current Affairs and Legal Aptitude will carry the highest weightage in the CLAT 2017 paper for UG aspirants. The section on Elementary Mathematics will be the least scoring section.
Exam Pattern for Post Graduate Courses
The CLAT Paper Pattern for the post graduate courses will contain 3 sections namely Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc. The question paper for post graduate courses will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions. Distribution of questions in each section is indicated in the table below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions|
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50|
Constitutional Law and Jurisprudence will have an equal weightage of 50 marks each while rest of the questions will be coming from different topics like Criminal law, International Law, etc.
CLAT Result 2017
CLAT result will be declared on May 29, 2017. The exam result will be available on the official website of CLAT- www.clat.ac.in. The candidates can access their CLAT result through their personal LOGIN ACCOUNT.
The complete merit list according to the marks secured by the candidate will be published on the CLAT website. In addition, state specific and all India merit lists will be prepared for various categories like-Open/SC/ST/OBC/Women and PWD etc. candidates.
CLAT Cut Off 2017
With the increase in number of candidates taking the CLAT Exam every year, the CLAT cutoff also increases. This year the CLAT Cut off is expected to increase by 5 % to 10%. CLAT 2017 Cutoff will be declared by various CLAT Participating institutes individually. It is the minimum score declared by the institute for the admission process. CLAT Cutoff forms the basis of the CLAT Counselling and CLAT Seat Allotment.
The CLAT 2017 Cutoff is calculated considering multiple factors such as difficulty level of the paper, availability of seats, average marks scored in the test and total test population. The difficulty of CLAT 2017 has only been moderate. Over the exam was touted easy with few tricky mathematics questions. Overall, taking the above points into consideration, the cut off is expected to increase anywhere between 2%-5%.
Which are the Law Schools Participating in CLAT 2017?
For the academic session of 2017-18, Chanakya National Law University will be conducting the CLAT 2017. The law entrance exam is scheduled on May 14, 2017. The other 17 NLUs participating and accepting the CLAT 2017 scores are as follows:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study and Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal(NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Nagpur
- National Law University, Aurangabad (NLU Aurangabad)
CLAT Counselling 2017
CLAT Counselling starts from May 29, 2017 and will get over by June 25, 2017. Candidate must indicate their NLUs preference online where they want to take admission. There will be a centralized admission process for CLAT 2017 and admission will be done on the basis of merit-cum-preference.
READ MORE: CLAT 2017 COUNSELLING
CLAT Books and Preparation Tips
The first step for CLAT preparation is to know about the CLAT paper pattern and CLAT 2017 syllabus. For CLAT 2017 conducted for undergraduate courses students have to prepare 5 subjects namely English Comprehension, Elementary Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current affairs, Legal Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. Out of all the legal Aptitude is the most important section, for preparing this section you can refer “Universal Guide to CLAT or A.P. Bhardwaj CLAT guide”. Do read newspapers on regular basis to prepare for current awareness questions.For elementary mathematics prepare syllabus of class 9th & 10th. In English comprehension there will be 4-5 short passages on which around 20-22 questions will be asked 7-8 questions is based on antonyms & synonyms and rest questions will be on Grammar. For this you can practice previous year mock test papers. You can also prepare these topics on online tutorials available for CLAT.
Here we have compiled a small list of books which can prove to be helpful during your CLAT preparation:-
|CLAT 2015 - The Complete Success Package||Arihant||9351761983|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning: For the CLAT and LL.B. Entrance Examinations||A. P. Bhardwaj||9332526462|
|The Pearson Guide to the CLAT||Pearson India||8131796396|
|CLAT Solved and Practice Papers||A. P. Bhardwaj||9332524807|
It Totally depends upon you what you see whether a time wasted or invested says Shivam who scored 93.25.
Preparation must be thorough says Parth Patel who scored 89 Percentile in CLAT Exam
All Progress takes place outside the comfort zone says efaf ali scored 55 percentile.